Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F. U. William Clay Ford
William Clay Ford Promotes Tom Lewand to Team President and Martin Mayhew to General Manager; Rod Marinelli Relieved of Duties as Head Coach
December 29, 2008

Marinelli. (Photo: G. Smith)

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions Owner and Chairman William Clay Ford announced the following today:

The promotion of Tom Lewand to Team President.
The promotion of Martin Mayhew to General Manager.
Rod Marinelli has been relieved of his duties as Head Coach.

The following assistant coaches will not be retained: Joe Barry (Defensive Coordinator), Mike Barry (Assistant Offensive Line) and Jimmy Lake (Secondary). The contract of Joe Cullen (Defensive Line) will not be renewed.

The team also announced that Jim Colletto has been re-assigned to offensive line coach.

Additionally, Dave Boller (Assistant Director of Pro Personnel) will not be retained.

From Detroitlions.com

So much for all the Scott Pioli talk. The excitementof the draft just ended by them staying in house with the president and GM. This means another awful coach, because you're not going to see a Cowher, Shottenheimer or anyone else that has a clue aboutbuiliding a team come into this situation.

Go eat a Veiner and die Mr. Ford. You deserve it. :-[
dolph Wrote:This means another awful coach, because you're not going to see a Cowher, Shottenheimer or anyone else that has a clue aboutbuiliding a team come into this situation.

Go eat a Veiner and die Mr. Ford. You deserve it. :-[

I don't think that many coaches have a clue about building a team.

and for the record, Mooch was a great coach, and I don't think Marinelli is a terrible coach. The talent just wasn't there.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
A lot of people outside the Lions organization think highly of Mayhew, and he did pull the trigger on the Williams trade and got 3 picks (including a first rounder).. more than I would've thought he could get. So I have a little hope yet, though not for Cowher since he'd probably want more control than just head coach. I'm not giving up hope yet.. maybe after the first round of the draft, but not yet. Wink
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
Mike Shanahan just got canned by Denver.

I wouldn't mind that guy. Maybe then we could run the ball and tackle on D.
Just saw that myself.. and I had the same thought. Assuming Cowher won't come, Shanny might be able to get something started.
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
I only want "The Jaw"! I don't see it happening though.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Rock Monster Wrote:and for the record, Mooch was a great coach

Before coming to Detroit he had a losing record against teams with a .500 or better record. Mooch wasn't a good coach. He did poor to fair with the leftovers in SF.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.