Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
player dies after hockey fight
Funeral on Monday for 21-year-old hockey player who died after on-ice fight
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadia...9bEJyXzUKg

a lot of questions comes from this:
-should taking a helmet off to fight be banned?
-should fighting carry more strict penalties?
-is anybody else disappointed that nhl.com doesn't have a blip on this story?

what do you think? what other questions do you have?
a lot of questions comes from this:
-should taking a helmet off to fight be banned?
Possibly, but it wouldn't have helped in this case. They said it appears to have come off as they were falling to the ice. (I would actually prefer it if both players removed the helmets along with the gloves,

-should fighting carry more strict penalties?
Maybe in the lower leagues, where younger people, and kids, are playing. Not in the NHL.

-is anybody else disappointed that nhl.com doesn't have a blip on this story?
No, since the OHA isn't affiliated with the NHL. (at least I don't think it is. Please correct me if I am wrong.)
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Rock Monster Wrote:-is anybody else disappointed that nhl.com doesn't have a blip on this story?
No, since the OHA isn't affiliated with the NHL. (at least I don't think it is. Please correct me if I am wrong.)

it looks like you are right. the nhl doesn't appear to be affiliated with any of the canadian hockey leagues.

i looked a little more, and i can't find any news of this on any professional hockey site. not even the ohl. i'm disappointed that i never would have known this had happened if i didn't google it. when a player dies playing your sport, it seems to me you should pay him at least some respect, even if you don't like the connotations that some people would put with it.
dingdongyo Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:-is anybody else disappointed that nhl.com doesn't have a blip on this story?

it looks like you are right. the nhl doesn't appear to be affiliated with any of the canadian hockey leagues.

i looked a little more, and i can't find any news of this on any professional hockey site. not even the ohl. i'm disappointed that i never would have known this had happened if i didn't google it. when a player dies playing your sport, it seems to me you should pay him at least some respect, even if you don't like the connotations that some people would put with it.

It's the OHA, not the OHL. They are different. The OHA has it as the lead story.

-maybe the other leagues are not covering it, because it isn't the best PR news for a sport that already struggles in ratings. (in the USA)
The NFL wouldn't cover an AFL, AFL2 or college player dying on the field, or vice versa, unless they had ties to a certain team. Maybe this is the same sort of thing.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
I hope the NHL doesn't knee-jerk the same way that MLB did with requiring base coaches to wear helmets.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Since this almost never happens but in extreme cases there shouldn't be any rule changes.
Admin Wrote:I hope the NHL doesn't knee-jerk the same way that MLB did with requiring base coaches to wear helmets.

That was knee-jerk? If they were to mandate base coaches wear hockey goalie gear, then I'd think it was... but not just a helmet.
That helmet is retarded. 130+ years of baseball and after one incident everyone has to wear the helmet. That is the very definition of knee jerk.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Good point, sir.
Admin Wrote:That helmet is retarded. 130+ years of baseball and after one incident everyone has to wear the helmet. That is the very definition of knee jerk.

One incident? or one BIG incident? Ive seen plenty of people get hit by baseballs

and hockey is boring
roybundlz Wrote:
Admin Wrote:That helmet is retarded. 130+ years of baseball and after one incident everyone has to wear the helmet. That is the very definition of knee jerk.

One incident? or one BIG incident? Ive seen plenty of people get hit by baseballs

and hockey is boring

Thanks for coming out.
Call me crazy, but I like fighting in hockey. The players love it, the fans love it, it's part of the game. People die from head injuries in car accidents, are we going to have to wear helmets while driving?
burnking Wrote:Call me crazy, but I like fighting in hockey. The players love it, the fans love it, it's part of the game. People die from head injuries in car accidents, are we going to have to wear helmets while driving?

Don't you already wear a helmet all the time . . . Big Grin
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Queenie Wrote:
burnking Wrote:Call me crazy, but I like fighting in hockey. The players love it, the fans love it, it's part of the game. People die from head injuries in car accidents, are we going to have to wear helmets while driving?

Don't you already wear a helmet all the time . . . Big Grin

But it's made of foam. He's talking about the real helmets, that don't come with the drool bucket.
it's illegal to wear a helmet or headphones when you drive...atleast in Michigan. anti-helmet law guys use this as their case.

"If I can't wear a helmet in a car because it restricts my vision, why would I want to wear a helmet on a motorcycle where I am even more vulverable"

I wear a helmet and headphones when i ride my motorcycle....gotta listen to freebeer and hotwings on my ride in...
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
wow.. didnt hear about this.. thats awful!
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:it's illegal to wear headphones when you drive...atleast in Michigan.

Since when?
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:it's illegal to wear headphones when you drive...atleast in Michigan.

Since when?

I've always known about the no headphones laws. A couple summers ago, as a matter of fact, a coworker of mine got pulled over for it.

One would wonder, however, if the laws have had to change to accommodate bluetooth and stuff like that.
roybundlz Wrote:

and hockey is boring

Yeah, ambulance drivers and old people get hit by baseballs. You probably think hockey is boring because there is an actual pace and it hurts your pea brain to pay attention to something for longer than 5 seconds without a break.

I smite you.

EDIT: The word substitution for "idi0ts" is cute
It's not my fault I'm soft-headed.

I through the no headphones law was pretty universal. It's getting tough though because like potthole said, a lot of hands free devices look exactly like headphones, so I don't know how they'll enforce it.
I talked to a cop about this a long time ago and his contention was that while it should be illegal it isn't.

I'll ask a friend of mine about it and get back to you all.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Incidents like this are more of an issue than fighting in Hockey:

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/other/in...nt_th.html

another brief article:
http://www.michigandaily.com/content/200...nt-deserve
Rock Monster Wrote:Incidents like this are more of an issue than fighting in Hockey:

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/other/in...nt_th.html

another brief article:
http://www.michigandaily.com/content/200...nt-deserve

[flash=350,287]http://www.youtube.com/v/fI-sYE1DsMs&hl=en[/flash]
potthole Wrote:
Admin Wrote:Since when?

I've always known about the no headphones laws. A couple summers ago, as a matter of fact, a coworker of mine got pulled over for it.

One would wonder, however, if the laws have had to change to accommodate bluetooth and stuff like that.

Wearing headphones while driving is in fact not illegal.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/TS...2717_7.pdf

[size=100]Driving with Headphones: There is nothing in the Michigan Vehicle Code that specifically prohibits driving with headphones or earbuds. A driver could, however, be cited for careless, reckless, or failure to yield to an emergency vehicle if a police officer could show that the headphones interfered with the driver
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Well, that's news to me. Once again Biff comes through.