Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to play podcasts on iPod sequentially!
I recently bought an FM transmitter for my iPod, and got excited because I could finally listen to some podcasts enroute to and from work. Usually I get a few days behind and listen to a handful at a time. But, frustration quickly set in because if I select a group of podcasts under the Podcast menu, only the currently selected one will play. When it's done, I'm returned to the top-level menu list, from where I have to manually navigate back to the Podcast directory and start the next podcast. This drives me nuts! And it's not exactly safe to be navigating around the iPod when I'm driving -- way worse than a cellphone in my book.

So, I've finally found out how to make the iPod play them sequentially, automatically. Here's how:
In iTunes, expand the podcast of your choice by clicking on the arrow next to the title.
Highlight all the podcasts you want to play together (Command/Ctl-clicking to add individual items, or Shift-clicking to select a range).
Do a Get Info (Command-I for Max or Ctl+I for PC) and set 'Part of a Compilation' to 'Yes.'
Sync your iPod.
Make sure you've enabled compilations on the iPod (Settings > Compilations > On).
Navigate to the podcast compilation (e.g. Music > Compilations > The Free Beer and Hotwings Show) and play.
Your podcasts should now play in sequential order, newest first, unless you have Random enabled. And you can now skip forward and backwards in the list, too!
kewl, now all i need is an ipod, itunes, highspeed internetz and a podcast subscription
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
And you're posting in the Podcasting message board too! Nice... ??? Undecided
mutts202 Wrote:And you're posting in the Poscasting message board too! Nice... ??? Undecided

Are you being sarcastic?
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Rock Monster Wrote:
mutts202 Wrote:And you're posting in the Podcasting message board too! Nice... ??? Undecided

Are you being sarcastic?

Yeah, because he doesn't have the podcast but is commenting on podcasting messages. Unless HE was being sarcastic in the first place, and actually has that stuff, then I'm totally confused... ???
I think RM is being sarcastic...

doesn't matter if i have podcasts or not...I'm the Intern of Poon and I can post where i please
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Actually, I wasn't. I didn't see that mutts posted first one also. I thought he was responding to the first post, not Howie.

I move to ban all sarcastic posts... too damn confusing!! (although, it may not be if I were to actually pay attention, but what's the fun in that?)
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
My podcasts have always played sequentially on my ipod.
It plays the newest first? Does that make them run out of order since the newest one they load is the latest break?

Not that I'm saying I'm the smartest person ever (ok, most of the time I am) but I found it much easier to just make a playlist called "IPod FBHW".
Group select a few days worth of tracks (shift-click) and drag them to the playlist.
You can put the tracks in the correct order by manually dragging them around or follow the procedure below to quickly fix it:

Click the name column to sort them in numerical/show order.
Right click on the playlist name in the sidebar to the right and choose 'copy to play order' to save the correct track order.
Usually this puts the days out of order but it's easy to fix.
Click the track number column so it sorts them by the order they're in (instead of by name) and you can group select the different days and put them in the right order.

I know that sounds really cumbersome and it took far too long to explain in words but it takes about 15 seconds to do in reality and you don't have to waste a bunch of time manually sorting 15 or 30 tracks.
Thanks danimo! That's looks like a great way to do it too! 8-) Until I started to do some research into it, I thought I was stuck with the stupid default way the itunes puts the podcasts on the ipod (i.e. play only one segment and then stop).
This should be a sticky.
When they try to stick a needle in you with the H1N1 flu vaccine this fall...run as fast as you can the other way!
Can do!
This is terrifically helpful info.
I'm.......kind of a big deal. People know me.
HELP!!!!! I can't figure out how to get my ipod to read my podcast feed. I haven't read the whole thread and will do so now. aNY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME THANKS