Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carbon Credits?
Am I the only person who thinks these carbon credits are a joke? Its not actually going to do anything. Al Gore is single handedly ripping off all the dumb s's that are buying into it. What do u think
The entire premise is misguided, as anyone with the ability to use Google can figure out that global warming is, at the very least, questionable.
I don't believe in global warming but for people who do to use carbon offsets is like someone saying it's ok to pee in the pool as long as they help buy a sign that says "no peeing in the pool"
I'm not sure if I question the validity of Global Warming... but I DO question the validity of the science behind it... or lack-thereof... Any Science shouldn't be created by political policy. and besides... How do we know Global warming isn't supposed to be what the planet does at this span of its life?

Here's a transcript of a great speech by Michael Crichton on the subject

http://www.crichton-official.com/speech-...rming.html
youthpastor73 Wrote:I'm not sure if I question the validity of Global Warming... but I DO question the validity of the science behind it... or lack-thereof... Any Science shouldn't be created by political policy. and besides... How do we know Global warming isn't supposed to be what the planet does at this span of its life?

Here's a transcript of a great speech by Michael Crichton on the subject

http://www.crichton-official.com/speech-...rming.html

Reading Crichton's book State of Fear really opened my eyes to some of the lies, and mis information that is just widely accepted.
Wowie Groovie !
Does anyone have a link to al gore's speech or whatever? I haven't heard anything about this
torque91 Wrote:it's ok to pee in the pool as long as they help buy a sign that says "no peeing in the pool"

bahahahaha that was brilliant. That sums it up in a nutshell. Global warming is a farse, and just another form of control for the government
http://www.madison.com/tct/news/stories/293046

Mike Ivey: Should Madison ban the drive-through?
Mike Ivey
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
I know, who are these dumb scientists that think they know anything about environmental science. We should continue listening to the nice people over at Exxon-Mobile who are completely unbiased. I'm with you guys, everyone who believes in Global Warming is just trying to make money, but those who disagree with it our clearly just doing so out of the warmness of their hearts. Effing Gore.
Personally, I'm not so quick to dismiss the world may be warming up, but i am very wary about how much of it is actually based off of our doings as a species. Planets in general heat up and cool down pretty cyclically, so its not too out of the question for a planet to warm a couple degrees. Whether or not we can actually have any real influence on this for good or bad is what needs to be researched to be honest.

Even if the world is not warming up or cooling down, the result would be if it turns out we can actually influence the climate, well then a crazy evil scientist owning a weather machine is not out of the question, and i already called dibs to be first on that one.
Quote:Personally, I'm not so quick to dismiss the world may be warming up, but i am very wary about how much of it is actually based off of our doings as a species. Planets in general heat up and cool down pretty cyclically, so its not too out of the question for a planet to warm a couple degrees.

Exalt.

Science has proven this to be the case. Just look at the medieval climatic optimum for an example of this same thing happening centuries ago.
hotzester Wrote:
Quote:Personally, I'm not so quick to dismiss the world may be warming up, but i am very wary about how much of it is actually based off of our doings as a species. Planets in general heat up and cool down pretty cyclically, so its not too out of the question for a planet to warm a couple degrees.

Exalt.

Science has proven this to be the case. Just look at the medieval climatic optimum for an example of this same thing happening centuries ago.

The "Medieval Climactic Optimum" is not scientifically sound, as the data was collected from a specific region and not from separate locations from all regions of the planet. It is just one more piece of misinformation to combat the idea of Global Warming. I imagine that there is some hype added to the Global Warming hysteria, but I also believe that it is completely irresponsible to say that it doesn't exist, or that our actions don't have any affect on it.
ahole Wrote:The "Medieval Climactic Optimum" is not scientifically sound, as the data was collected from a specific region and not from separate locations from all regions of the planet. It is just one more piece of misinformation to combat the idea of Global Warming. I imagine that there is some hype added to the Global Warming hysteria, but I also believe that it is completely irresponsible to say that it doesn't exist, or that our actions don't have any affect on it.

I never said that it doesn't exist (in fact i did indirectly say it existed), and all i said was that there is not really any 100% definitive evidence that we can impact it either way. I agree that we are definitely mining the hell out of our resources, and putting enough stuff in the air to change ecosystems around, and that does need to be addressed, but im not so quick to jump on the reason we should be smart about things is because we might warm our planet up.

I take more of the Penn and Teller Bullshit approach to environmentalism, where we should definitely do what we can but be wary as hell about any major media environmental crisis. I mean really, with most huge politicized movements like that, there is usually some underlying agenda wrapped in a nice bow. Then again maybe im just too cynical for my own good.
I dubbed it the "Britney Spears is a School Shooter Phenomenon."

You alarmists say things like, "See? Temperatures got warmer after we became more industrialized, so we MUST be causing it!"

Similarly, school shootings spiked after Britney's first album dropped, so therefore she MUST be going into schools around the country and shooting.
hotzester Wrote:I dubbed it the "Britney Spears is a School Shooter Phenomenon."

You alarmists say things like, "See? Temperatures got warmer after we became more industrialized, so we MUST be causing it!"

Similarly, school shootings spiked after Britney's first album dropped, so therefore she MUST be going into schools around the country and shooting.

Totally dude. Because that is all that global warming is based on. I haven't actually researched anything related to it, but I'm 99.9% sure that someone just said "wow, the temperatures got warmer after we became more industrialized, so we MUST be causing it" and the Global Warming Phenomenon was created. I know some of you crazy liberal tree humpers will be trying to say that there are multitudes of data that demonstrate global warming, but my man Rush Limbaugh has a PhD in the Truth, and he says it's nothing to worry about. Stupid Earth loving mingers...
I'm all for doing everything we can to protect the environment, but because we WANT to, and because it's the right thing TO do, not because some overly self-indulgent politician made a "documentary" about how we're all going to die on Saturday.

If global warming is real, why is there ANY evidence that makes it seem questionable?
No, I'm with you man. If there is even the possibility of a slim chance that we aren't affecting global warming, then I say there is none, and I know, because I have spent the last two years completely ignoring all of the actual evidence and latching on to any of the anti-evidence. It's just like Evolution man, if they can't show me a skeleton from every single step of the evolutionary cycle, then there's no effin evolution. The Bible has all the evidence we need because we all know that it's the word of God because it tells us that it is. No circular logic there, just and extreme dose of the Truth.
providencecrow Wrote:Personally, I'm not so quick to dismiss the world may be warming up, but i am very wary about how much of it is actually based off of our doings as a species. Planets in general heat up and cool down pretty cyclically, so its not too out of the question for a planet to warm a couple degrees. Whether or not we can actually have any real influence on this for good or bad is what needs to be researched to be honest.

Even if the world is not warming up or cooling down, the result would be if it turns out we can actually influence the climate, well then a crazy evil scientist owning a weather machine is not out of the question, and i already called dibs to be first on that one.

Yes, this is pretty much what I wanted to add to this topic.

However much we may be influencing global climate change is questionable. But what is SCIENCE FACT is that the earth has been changing and will always heat up and cool down.

It is cyclical and will always be that way, it will never change. We will have another ice age, there is no stopping that from happening.

The good news however is that our predecessors survived that climate change without the advancements we have today, little more than thicker skin and great bear coats...so I'm going to have to assume that todays society can survive through that change.

I however do not believe that we would have a run-away greenhouse effect like the planet Venus.

Earth has a way of protecting itself and cooling itself down, which we know as the ice-ages.

And yes, once again, they will happen whether we're driving our little cars around or not.
I'm glad to see that not everyone buys into the man-made global warming hype. I thought nearly everyone was falling for that prank these days. Since the dawn of mankind, the best way to control a population is through fear. And the most effective type of fear you can instill on people is the kind where the source of the fear can't be truly proven one way or the other.
theterribletwist Wrote:I'm glad to see that not everyone buys into the man-made global warming hype. I thought nearly everyone was falling for that prank these days. Since the dawn of mankind, the best way to control a population is through fear. And the most effective type of fear you can instill on people is the kind where the source of the fear can't be truly proven one way or the other.

I guess i just don't get the hype because i'm able to connect the dots. We have known for quite a while that the earth cyclically warms and cools like has been said many times, and the last major weather change was an ice age. I can connect the dots that thousands of years later the earth would start to warm.

when i see any sort of calculation that can show how much of an impact we have, then we have a different discussion on hand
providencecrow Wrote:
theterribletwist Wrote:I'm glad to see that not everyone buys into the man-made global warming hype. I thought nearly everyone was falling for that prank these days. Since the dawn of mankind, the best way to control a population is through fear. And the most effective type of fear you can instill on people is the kind where the source of the fear can't be truly proven one way or the other.

I guess i just don't get the hype because i'm able to connect the dots. We have known for quite a while that the earth cyclically warms and cools like has been said many times, and the last major weather change was an ice age. I can connect the dots that thousands of years later the earth would start to warm.

when i see any sort of calculation that can show how much of an impact we have, then we have a different discussion on hand

Exactly, the earth will warm, and then it will cool itself down via another ICE AGE.

It's that simple.

An ice age means a period where ice sheets are in the northern and southern hemispheres; by this definition we are still in an ice age (because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist). But when we talk about them it is used to refer to colder periods with extensive ice sheets over the US and Europe: in this sense, the most recent ice age ended about 11,000 years ago.

Did you know that if we didn't have the greenhouse effect the earths average temp. currenly 57 degrees F, would be a rigid -2 degrees F. ?

Crazy

It's a delicate balance, and I'm interested to see how this all pans out. This planet is certainly interesting.
Wow! Great to see all these responses. Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this rock that thinks global warming is nothing other than propaganda. And thanks a ton to Youthpastor73 for providing the link to the Michael Crichton article. It's great!
a friend of mine wrote this on another forum...i love it....

I hopped onto the web the other day, and the computer I was on had MSN as a home page. There, top left below the header, was "Live Earth: Al Gore will answer Climate Crisis questions today"

Well, I was so thrilled by the fact that this Great American would deign to pass some of his vast and authoritative knowledge of this crucial subject on to those of us beneath him, so I asked him the following questions:

1> If carbon dioxide is the cause of global warming, why do increases in CO2 levels lag behind temperature increases by as much as 900 years?

2> ALL CO2 accounts for only 0.0360% of the atmosphere, and humans produce no more than 10% of it at the most generous estimate, including through respiration. All methane accounts for no more than 0.00017% of the atmosphere, and many of your experts say that human activities produce 60% of that. Together, the human produced share of these two gases amount to 0.003702% of the Earth's atmosphere (about 0.04% of all "greenhouse gases"). Can you explain how the addition of such a tiny amount of these gases is causing the planet's heat to spiral out of control? Does it give off it's own heat, or what?

3> Why is it that George Bush's home in Crawford, Texas is so energy efficient that it almost completely self sufficient, and was recently featured in as "Off The Grid" in a national energy conservation magazine, and your home in Tennessee uses more energy in a day than mine does in 3 weeks?

4> How much money are you currently making through your shadow memberships in companies selling carbon offsets?

So far, no answer...
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Yeah, I was simply amazed to hear that G.W. Bush's house was so energy efficient. That's really good, someone that rich should be able to afford to do so.

I still think he's an ass that cares more about his pockets than anything else.

But, he's done what he has to do to get into the position he's in, and nobody can fault him for that.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. lol
Bo Nerdasuck Wrote:Don't hate the player, hate the game. lol

Why discriminate? I say hate both.
captaincrunch Wrote:Wow! Great to see all these responses. Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this rock that thinks global warming is nothing other than propaganda. And thanks a ton to Youthpastor73 for providing the link to the Michael Crichton article. It's great!

"Sometimes I think I'm the only one who has his eyes closed!"

Is that what I just read?