Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2008 Tops in GR
In today's Grand Rapids Press there was a special section of the annual Tops in GR awards. Sadly I can't find a link to it on the piece of crap mlive website.

What types of r-tards voted for this piece of crap list? Here are a few of the "highlights"...

Best Chicken: KFC

Best Hamburger: Burger King / Red Robin

Best Italian: Olive Garden

Best Seafood: Red Lobster

Best Steak: Outback

Do you honestly mean to tell me that Burger King has the best burgers in Grand Rapids? Or that nowhere else has better chicken than KFC? Or that Grand Rapids doesn't have a better Italian place than Olive Garden? Best steaks... Outback?! Are you kidding?

What a worthless list! Apparently the people who voted for this thing never get out.
Not sure if it's the best, but I really like Chicken Coop. Of course the only place I know to find it is on the "other side of the tracks." I do have to agree with Red Robin. That place is awesome for burgers.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
I'll agree with Red Robin... but BURGER KING???
potthole Wrote:I'll agree with Red Robin... but BURGER KING???
Yeah it's like saying the best place for crab cakes is, Charley's Crab and Long John Silver's.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Potthole, I found a video on youtube from Mlive.com of John Serba's Best Burgers in Grand Rapids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfGf8Y-hi24
Until the Press and, for that matter, Grand Rapids Magazine ban chains from the voting, this is what you get. That's how Krispy Kreme wins for "best doughnut." Not one local bakery?

Any burger list missing the Cottage Bar is to be ignored.
Len Wrote:Any burger list missing the Cottage Bar is to be ignored.
And that's the truth.... 8-)
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
This list is stupid, this is supposed to show the real taste of Grand Rapids. Not just show us the dumbass corporate chains that are in every city.
I want some real Grand Rapids only restaurants for this stuff, this doesn't help anyone...
evangperry Wrote:This list is stupid, this is supposed to show the real taste of Grand Rapids. Not just show us the dumbass corporate chains that are in every city.
I want some real Grand Rapids only restaurants for this stuff, this doesn't help anyone...

The video that Kate posted is pretty good but, as stated by Len and Dino, leaving the Cottage Bar off is a sin.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
There were some awards that I agreed with. The Green Well won best new restaurant, that was a good choice.

I forgot to post the real kicker last night... the best publication award went to...

The Grand Rapids Press. Yup, the very same publication that printed the awards won the award for best publication.
evangperry Wrote:This list is stupid, this is supposed to show the real taste of Grand Rapids. Not just show us the dumbass corporate chains that are in every city.

Exactly. Mangiamo and/or Pietro's would both have been much better choices for "Best Italian" over top of frickin' Olive Garden.
Admin Wrote:

The video that Kate posted is pretty good but, as stated by Len and Dino, leaving the Cottage Bar off is a sin.
???.....I have a mission, it is clear. I must try this "Cottage Bar".
As do I, apparently.
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
i thought i was the only one who didn't know this Cottage Bar place!
Apparently I went to high school right next to this place. Hmm.
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
It's right on the corner of Fulton and LaGrave. The door handle is a butcher knife. That should say it all.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I had a cottage burger once a few years ago. Agreed; best burger ever.
Was just there last Thursday night; they are still good. More partial to the Back Alley Burger; it has ham and sour cream on it.
Kate Wrote:Potthole, I found a video on youtube from Mlive.com of John Serba's Best Burgers in Grand Rapids

WHAT?! No Burger King? :'( :Smile

That's a really good find, thanks for sharing it. I think I'll have to venture out to a couple of those places.
I was sort of surprised they didn't have a category for best hotdog. Yesterdog, followed by Grand Coney would get my nod.

Knowing how the Press article went, the winner probably would have been something stupid like "Spectrum Health Cafeteria."
potthole Wrote:What a worthless list! Apparently the people who voted for this thing never get out.

Sadly a lot of those lists are generated by whomever buys the most Advertising Space
Wowie Groovie !
Kate Wrote:Potthole, I found a video on youtube from Mlive.com of John Serba's Best Burgers in Grand Rapids
Has anyone tried food from the Wealthy St. Station. Looks really good but I've never heard of it.
Titan ! Wrote:
potthole Wrote:What a worthless list! Apparently the people who voted for this thing never get out.

Sadly a lot of those lists are generated by whomever buys th emost Advertising Space

That's true, I'd be interested in seeing the choices that people got to pick from when voting, and knowing how exactly they were made. Maybe the results are so crummy because the choices when voting were junk to begin with.

I believe that the final votes were done by people through the mlive website, which probably reduced the number of people participating with the actual voting process, and as a result, probably reducing the number of what could be considered as "good" votes.
Here's My list

Best Chicken: Cousins Tasty Chicken (if you don't know where it is. It's in the strip mall next to Family Fare on Leonard and Fuller.)

Best Hamburger: Cottage Bar (they also have very delicious Chicken Chimmis there.) Any other bar in downtown GR has better burgers than Burger King.

Best Italian: Not sure. I don't really go to many Italian restaurants. But Olive Garden isn't that good and they're way too expensive.

Best Seafood: Charley's Crab. (Red Lobster? Seriously? They're cheddar rolls are good, but their food isn't nearly as good as CC. Besides that Red Lobster doesn't sit right on the river.)

Best Steak: Louis Benton. (Good Friggen Steaks there.)
cuppie Wrote:Here's My list

Best Chicken: Cousins Tasty Chicken (if you don't know where it is. It's in the strip mall next to Family Fare on Leonard and Fuller.)

I've always been curious about that place. I'm in the area quite a bit, and have always wondered if it's any good.
potthole Wrote:
cuppie Wrote:Here's My list

I've always been curious about that place. I'm in the area quite a bit, and have always wondered if it's any good.
My buddy used to live down the street from there and raved about it all the time. I think he went there for the fish though.
The fish is good too. It's worth going in there and picking up some.
Any idea how their lunchtime service is? Think I can get in and out with a takeout order pretty quickly?
I'm partial to Chick'n Lick'n for....chicken.

Florentine's in Grandville should get some consideration for best Italian. That place is incredible.
I'd also give a steak nod to Great Lakes Shipping Co.
Fistor Wrote:I'm partial to Chick'n Lick'n for....chicken.

Not any longer!

Do you know if they have plans to rebuild following that fire?
potthole Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:I'm partial to Chick'n Lick'n for....chicken.

Not any longer!

Do you know if they have plans to rebuild following that fire?

What? Really?

This thread reminds me that I need to visit the Beltline Bar soon. It's actually been a couple of years since I've been there.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Yeah, Chick'n Lick'n had a fire a few weeks back. The building is still standing, but early reports were that the damage was bad enough that they'd have to demolish. I haven't heard if they plan to demolish/rebuild/reopen or not.

Umm, Beltline Bar. It's been a few months since we were there last, a return trip must happen again soon.
potthole Wrote:Umm, Beltline Bar. It's been a few months since we were there last, a return trip must happen again soon.
All beef wet burrito and a pitcher of sangria. :-*
Take out sangria and switch it with Dos X, and now we're talking.
I know they're a chain and all, but I had a damn good bacon and bleu burger at Hooters today.

And another chain... The buffalo chicken flatbread pizza at Buffalo Wild Wings is outstanding
Wowie Groovie !
Some of Hooters food is surprisingly good. I figured it was all eye candy and crappy food.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Beltline Bar is ok. I would choose the Grand Villa/Dungeon for Mexican food though. Their Chips and Cheese is incredible. The cover their chips with a pound of cheese.

I went to Fred's Pizza the other day and it was really good. If I had to choose a pizza joint it would be between Fred's and Vitale's. Vallone's on Buchanon (between Burton and 28th) has some good pizza too. If this was extended to all of West Michigan, I would have to say Fricano's in Grand Haven and Holland is really good too.

As for Cousin's Tasty Chicken, you can get your food order pretty quick there for lunch time. Last time I was working in the area one of the guys got some food from there faster than the other guys that got food from Jet's Pizza.
Humm, I'll have to keep Cousin's in mind then for a lunch break one of these days. Thanks, cuppie.

Whenever I go to Beltline Bar I always get myself in "trouble." I get chips and salsa before my meal, and while waiting for it, I chow down and get myself too full.
Best Chinese food: XO Asian Cuisine

And they are pretty reasonable for downtown.