Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How atheists are portrayed by Churches.
I've been thinking about this. Can one really say that an atheist really believes there's no God? I mean right then and there, to deny there is a God must mean that they believe there is indeed a God, they just choose to not acknowledge Him.
potthole Wrote:I've been thinking about this. Can one really say that an atheist really believes there's no God? I mean right then and there, to deny there is a God must mean that they believe there is indeed a God, they just choose to not acknowledge Him.

Not really, i mean i look at it this way. Experimentation and investigation through out the years have yet to prove any remote chance of life after death, or of any kind of creator. If somewhere along the line someone finds true evidence of any kind of god or creator, then i will consider the evidence. I dont "choose not to acknowledge him", when there is no proof that there is anything to acknowledge in the first place.
providencecrow Wrote:Not really, i mean i look at it this way. Experimentation and investigation through out the years have yet to prove any remote chance of life after death, or of any kind of creator. If somewhere along the line someone finds true evidence of any kind of god or creator, then i will consider the evidence. I dont "choose not to acknowledge him", when there is no proof that there is anything to acknowledge in the first place.

I guess this is where personal definitions come into play. When I read this comment by you, it says to me that you acknowledge there is a God, but just lack enough proof to decide to follow him.
i think youre confusing me acknowledging a god exists in some fashion with acknowledging other peoples concept of a god. I havn't exactly been living in a cave or anything, i know that the US is majority christians, and i know what they believe god is. A religion is a real tangible thing i can see in plain sight, any interpretation of what god is however is not. What youre describing is agnostic, which acknowledges that there might be something. All i acknowledge is i was born, i am alive right now, i will die whenever, and afterwards i will rot and hopefully turn into some oil that can be used for $2,000,000 a gallon gasoline in the future
Point taken. Religion is a field where I really wish I could better put into words what I feel and believe.
potthole Wrote:I've been thinking about this. Can one really say that an atheist really believes there's no God? I mean right then and there, to deny there is a God must mean that they believe there is indeed a God, they just choose to not acknowledge Him.
I don't believe in your god any more than you believe in the old Greek or Norse deities, but you would never say "I believe in Odin and Zeus, I just choose not to acknowledge them."
Zig Wrote:
I don't believe in your god any more than you believe in the old Greek or Norse deities, but you would never say "I believe in Odin and Zeus, I just choose not to acknowledge them."

At least Zeus kicked ass.

"Lightning Bolt!"
Wiiiiiiiiizard! Who summoned The Wizz.......oh it's you guys.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:Wiiiiiiiiizard! Who summoned The Wizz.......oh it's you guys.

:Smile
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!

Wishful thinking, Potthole.
Athiests don't believe a God exists. They do not subconsciously think that he exists and ignores it, they actually and truly believe that science created everything and that the god(s) are made up by the ancient people that made up stories about a creator. I see how much both sides make sense, so I call myself agnostic for now.
Kate Wrote:Athiests don't believe a God exists. They do not subconsciously think that he exists and ignores it, they actually and truly believe that science created everything and that the god(s) are made up by the ancient people that made up stories about a creator.
What what?
Yeah i'm confused too, since when has science ever claimed to create anything.

Law of conservation of matter: Matter can neither be created or destroyed.
Law of conservation of energy: Energy can neither be created or destroyed.

Quite simply: I have no clue what "Created" the world, universe, et al, and im perfectly content with an "I have no idea" until some evidence explains otherwise.
We have a pretty good idea what created the world. Gravity played a big role in that. It's the universe, and more specifically what came before the big bang, that we're clueless about because we have no way to gather any information or evidence from before that point. Although I'm assuming you knew that and I'm being bothersome about semantics.
Zig Wrote:We have a pretty good idea what created the world. Gravity played a big role in that. It's the universe, and more specifically what came before the big bang, that we're clueless about because we have no way to gather any information or evidence from before that point. Although I'm assuming you knew that and I'm being bothersome about semantics.

damn straight you are haha, and you obviously knew exactly what i was saying so you can tell me how my taint look
It looks smooth in the groove and without a hair to spare.
I've stayed away from this thread because I didn't know what else to say but looks like everyone else is hitting it on the head. Atheists aren't mad and deny God because their lives are bad, they just simply can't fathom realistically that a deity created the universe and rules over us. Hell, I see more evidence of UFO's and ghosts then I do that God is looking down on us...but thats just me.
But see, Cassierae, that's faith. You don't necessarily have tangible evidence, but you just still know in your heart that there's something more.

And for the record, I don't think atheists are angry either. Whatver you believe, even if you believe there's no higher power, I respect you for having a belief.
Well theres nothing to believe in so why make something up out of nothing?! It's ridiculous to me...but to each his own.
hotzester Wrote:Hey, if that's your thing, that's cool. Personally, I could never be an athiest. I'd much rather believe in something and be wrong than NOT believe in it and be wrong. lol

Good 'ol Pascal's Wager. It always surfaces when the subject of Atheism is brought up.
hotzester Wrote:What I'm saying is this - In a nutshell, because despite what our post counts may say, none of us REALLY have enough time to debate it properly....

Science can never actually disprove religion. Faith is defined as "belief that is not based on proof". (This is one definition, anyway.) Science may say "People evolved from ants", but faith says "I know that's what you say, but I believe in something else." In the end, one of us will be proven wrong.

The flaw is that science is not infallible. Some scientists say that my SUV is creating global warming. Others do not. Some scientists said the earth is flat. But then science changed it's mind and decided that it was round. To the contrary, faith hasn't so much as batted in eye in over 2000 years.

I like what Christopher Hitchens has to say about religion.
"What can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Science didn't "change it's mind" about the Earth being flat, evidence proved that the Earth was round, so Science accepted that evidence.

Atheists shouldn't have to provide scientific evidence that there is no God, the religious should have to provide scientific evidence that there is a God. Americans typically demonize Atheists because of what they don't understand, and what they don't want to attempt to understand.
This was an interesting story about religious persecution in America if anyone is bored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3LY09PP_Y
hotzester Wrote:But see, Cassierae, that's faith. You don't necessarily have tangible evidence, but you just still know in your heart that there's something more.

This statement always cracks me up for it's irony. It should probably be the tag line for religions.
Faith- Knowing in your heart, while viciously ignoring what's in your head.
While it's funny, I don't think it's accurate to say things like "Faith is believing what you know ain't so." It's unfair to religious people to assume that they know better, but they're just choosing to ignore the lack of evidence and believe anyways because they want to. Doing that is almost the same as the person earlier who said that atheists know there's a god but choose not to acknowledge him. Atheists and agnostics shouldn't doubt the dedication of theist' belief, we have no reason to assume they don't believe their point of view to be valid from an intellectual standpoint.

I think, ultimately, the crux of the debate is whether or not faith is a valid means of knowing or believing in something. I would argue that, since faith is belief not based or dependent upon evidence, people can use faith as a means to believe absolutely anything. If faith allows you to believe anything, then it is incredibly unreliable, which in turn makes it an entirely invalid basis for any claim or belief.
Zig Wrote:While it's funny, I don't think it's accurate to say things like "Faith is believing what you know ain't so." It's unfair to religious people to assume that they know better, but they're just choosing to ignore the lack of evidence and believe anyways because they want to. Doing that is almost the same as the person earlier who said that atheists know there's a god but choose not to acknowledge him. Atheists and agnostics shouldn't doubt the dedication of theist' belief, we have no reason to assume they don't believe their point of view to be valid from an intellectual standpoint.

I think, ultimately, the crux of the debate is whether or not faith is a valid means of knowing or believing in something. I would argue that, since faith is belief not based or dependent upon evidence, people can use faith as a means to believe absolutely anything. If faith allows you to believe anything, then it is incredibly unreliable, which in turn makes it an entirely invalid basis for any claim or belief.

I'm not trying to say that they are ignoring what they know, but I do believe that they actively ignore information that could somehow affect their "faith". By using the "faith" argument and not using evidence; a parent can force a child to believe absolutely anything. It's sad really...
I don't necessarily disagree with that, although the word "actively" makes me a bit nervous. I think they are avoiding or devaluing evidence and information in a more automatic, subconscious way. Human brains are designed to look for confirming rather than counter evidence, so when you see yourself as being set on one side of a debate it's really quite natural to make attempts at rationalizing and overcoming any criticisms, even when they might be valid. Everyone does it. It's especially likely to happen if you've been raised within a religion, because then you see your position as the rightful default.
I would say that it's very rare for a religious person to consciously choose to ignore information because they are scared that it might harm their ability to hold religious beliefs.
Relying on faith is what a lot of people do. Thats the thing that keeps them hanging on is faith in God. I've known a lot of people (As an atheist/individual I attended Bible Study with my ex, who knew I didn't believe but I went along with him) who close their eyes and think anything that doesn't follow their guidelines is bad or unholy. I could not BELIEVE what these people talked about! I actually had to go into the bathroom because their views on the world were so wrapped up in "God made this and wanted them to do that" was so far fetched I had to stop myself from an outburst. I don't remember what the topics were but I remember having to be told to be quiet. I guess I just have a natural curiosity and realistic view of the world and universe.
cassierae Wrote:Relying on faith is what a lot of people do. Thats the thing that keeps them hanging on is faith in God. I've known a lot of people (As an atheist/individual I attended Bible Study with my ex, who knew I didn't believe but I went along with him) who close their eyes and think anything that doesn't follow their guidelines is bad or unholy. I could not BELIEVE what these people talked about! I actually had to go into the bathroom because their views on the world were so wrapped up in "God made this and wanted them to do that" was so far fetched I had to stop myself from an outburst. I don't remember what the topics were but I remember having to be told to be quiet. I guess I just have a natural curiosity and realistic view of the world and universe.

I am often amazed by religious discussion amongst biblical literalists, but my trip to the Creation Museum in Kentucky definitely takes the cake as the saddest/most ridiculous thing that I have witnessed since accepting the fact that I am an Atheist. At first it was hilarious to see the completely unscientific plaques that "explained" the equally hilarious displays. Then I started to notice that hundreds of kids were in there, being brainwashed to believe that nonsense. I heard some kids ask some very intelligent questions only to have them shot down with answers like "because the bible said so". I wanted to throw up it was so effing sad. Now, I often find my self thinking about all of the brilliant young minds that will never pursue scientific discoveries because they were brainwashed into Young Earth "Science".
lovegrenade Wrote:I wanted to throw up it was so effing sad. Now, I often find my self thinking about all of the brilliant young minds that will never pursue scientific discoveries because they were brainwashed into Young Earth "Science".

Talk amongst yourselves, ill give you a topic. Pseudo-Science is neither pseudo nor science...discuss.
Question? How many of you have watched the Histroy Channel show "The Universe" this could very well answer many many questions on both side of this arguement. I consider myself an agnostic simply because I feel that I can not impericaly say that there is or is not a God or gods. I am 41 years old and have had ample time too have been on both sides of this fence. For about 5 years in my early 30's i was a "born again Christian", attending church very regularly and incesently reading the bible 5 or 6 times cover to cover. Apparantly my seed was sown in rocky soil because my spirituality withered and died a few years ago. Now i'm sure there are a few of you out there ( and by few i mean alot) who proberbly think I'm going to hell in a hand basket, but those five years i spent as a honest yearning praying christian really was an attempt to beat down my real self and in the end gave me a Huge identity crisis, which inturn lead to me to my old way of life. Am I happier I think so. At least I don't feel so guilty all the time.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Couple of secular websites:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/
http://www.secularhumanism.org/
What to say about either side. Everyone has his or her own point of view of things. I really don't know what to believe anymore. I do know one thing is that people need something to believe in and if it is God or the big Bang then to each their own. I would like to believe that there is a God and there is a better place to go. Because life here on earth can be a very sad place.
I see said the blind man to his deaf daughter.
I believe that religion was created at a time when people needed to be controlled.
We still need it. I consider myself to be agnositc, but have nothing but respect for ordinary religious people (not extremists) who wish to follow the laws of the bible. I think this because it still keeps control, and in an overpopulated society it is important that people be under control. Control being people commiting 'sins' but keeping it mostly under the radar.
You would be surprised at the dirty secrets of those who consider themselves devoted. Asking for forgiveness and believing you have been forgiven allows you to not go crazy.
It's easier for the simple minded to believe then to actually think about how things got here, for the undereducated it can be a scary place.
I think that we are not meant to know why we are here. Just live your life and roll with it, too much time wasted on trying to justify your life. We are so insignificant compared to the entire universe and those beyond, it's mind boggling. It must be a human trait to think we are so important.
Mikeoxhard, I agree with you. There's always been a need to be controlled. Religion, laws, government. Maybe without it people think we will go crazy and there will be mass chaos.
nurveen Wrote:I do know one thing is that people need something to believe in and if it is God or the big Bang then to each their own.

Actually I don't need to believe in anything. If something came out tomorrow totally disproving the big bang then as long as there is evidence to prove it that's all that is needed. It doesn't really matter where we came from or what happens after death, you're here now and that's the important part. Worrying too much about either is just a waste of time in my opinion. I just take the evidence as it comes about and use that as the grand explanation of the universe.

I think the main problem is most people aren't comfortable with "I don't know" as an answer to a lot of things. I know plenty of christians who believe in the big bang and what have you but instead of just answering "I don't know" to what came before the big bang they just refer to "Well that was god, the big bang was his creation". I guess i just dont understand how it's not viable to use "I don't know" as an answer just because we have not been able to figure it out yet, and instead need to fill in the blanks with some deity.
mikeoxhard Wrote:I believe that religion was created at a time when people needed to be controlled.
We still need it. I consider myself to be agnositc, but have nothing but respect for ordinary religious people (not extremists) who wish to follow the laws of the bible. I think this because it still keeps control, and in an overpopulated society it is important that people be under control. Control being people commiting 'sins' but keeping it mostly under the radar.
You would be surprised at the dirty secrets of those who consider themselves devoted. Asking for forgiveness and believing you have been forgiven allows you to not go crazy.
It's easier for the simple minded to believe then to actually think about how things got here, for the undereducated it can be a scary place.
If this is true, then how come countries with higher rates of religiosity aren't any more orderly than other, more secular countries? Religion isn't exactly bringing a hell of a lot of order to the middle east now, is it? In some cases, religion provides the only means to draw a line between one group of people and another, and ultimately does nothing more than fuel the conflict and disorder. This whole concept of religion being necessary is groundless, and it's often propagated based on the entirely false notions that morality comes from religion and religious people are any more moral than nonreligious people.
Your claim that believing a deity has forgiven you for your sins allows people to avoid going crazy is also ridiculous. Once again, religious people aren't any less likely to go crazy than those who are nonreligious. If anything, some strains of religion have reputations for promoting unhealthy guilt in their followers.

Besides that, your shot at theists needing religion because they are "simple minded" is offensive and shows a real lack of understanding on your part. So much for you having "nothing but respect" for religious people.
You know what, the churchies will not convince the atheists and the atheist will not convince the churchies but if you bible thumpers would like to waste your lives writing checks to jesus claus then that is your god given right (get it...LOL)

Keep your beleifs in your church and your home, don't knock on my door trying to sell me your god so you can get a few bucks in the collection plate.
hotzester Wrote:No, no...I mean each faith hasn't changed their views, whereas science has. Obviously the various faiths have different philosophies.
Sure faiths have changed, some Jews became Christian, some Cathloics became Lutheran, some Christians became Muslim. Faiths are evlove, but they are slower to do so than most societies.
I really don't have anything new to add to this topic (other than the fact that I just wanted to post again.. I need a life.) I have seen both sides of the fence, being married to preachers son has given me a look at the Christian side. And coming from a home where Christianity wasn't talked about has given me a look at that side. I can honestly say I'm not quite sure I believe in all that Christian jazz and what not.

Far more often than not I have witnessed these so called "Christians" judge and condemn others who don't believe what they believe, just for having their own opinions. Isn't that the very same thing they preach at you about in church? Judge not, lest you be judged.. Now I'm not saying being Christian is bad or wrong in any way, but doesn't it seem kinda two faced to sit in church and proclaim your life to someone who is to be the only one who can judge you. And go out and chastise others for not believing in someone who may or may not have existed?

I other the other hand am not pro Atheist either (not to say I'm against it). But I have seen enough "Sunday Christians" to know that if thats what Christianity is made up of, then count me out. I have no problems with believing maybe there could be a higher power, but I'm not so sure I want to put all my eggs in one basket yet.

Anyway thats just my incoherent rambling thoughts
38DoubleDelicious Wrote:I really don't have anything new to add to this topic (other than the fact that I just wanted to post again.. I need a life.) I have seen both sides of the fence, being married to preachers son has given me a look at the Christian side. And coming from a home where Christianity wasn't talked about has given me a look at that side. I can honestly say I'm not quite sure I believe in all that Christian jazz and what not.

Far more often than not I have witnessed these so called "Christians" judge and condemn others who don't believe what they believe, just for having their own opinions. Isn't that the very same thing they preach at you about in church? Judge not, lest you be judged.. Now I'm not saying being Christian is bad or wrong in any way, but doesn't it seem kinda two faced to sit in church and proclaim your life to someone who is to be the only one who can judge you. And go out and chastise others for not believing in someone who may or may not have existed?

I other the other hand am not pro Atheist either (not to say I'm against it). But I have seen enough "Sunday Christians" to know that if thats what Christianity is made up of, then count me out. I have no problems with believing maybe there could be a higher power, but I'm not so sure I want to put all my eggs in one basket yet.

Anyway thats just my incoherent rambling thoughts

My personal belief... The "Sunday Christian", the Atheist, non-judgmental Christians, and I myself have all sinned and will continue to sin. The wages of sin is eternal death. So am I judging others, admitting that I will be judged, or all of the above?
hotzester Wrote:I've always wondered - if people evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Humans didn't evolve from modern monkeys. No biologist in the history of science has ever stated such a thing. Humans and monkeys have a common ancestor.