Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really?
Fuel Economy Still on Folks' Minds, but Not a Top Priority at Auto Show in Grand Rapids

GRAND RAPIDS -- With gasoline prices below $2 per gallon these days, fuel economy is weighing less on the minds of Tiffani and Tim Eden at the Michigan International Auto Show.
"I want a Jeep Commander," said Tiffani, as they surveyed the interior of a smaller Jeep Liberty at DeVos Place on Saturday.

The fact the Commander gets less gasoline mileage than the Liberty is a factor, but not as much as last year, said Tiffani, who is hoping to trade in her 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Space also is a factor, said the Hamilton Public Schools art teacher.

With gasoline prices at a five-year low, fuel economy is more of a memory than a top-of-mind issue for many.

According to AAA Michigan, the price of unleaded gasoline in the Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland area was $1.883 today, compared to $1.887 a month ago, $2.95 a year ago and $4.202 on July 17.

Tim, who commutes 90 miles daily from the Edens' Dorr Township home to Kalamazoo, said he resolved the issue a year ago. He traded in his Chevrolet Envoy SUV for a sub-compact Mazda3.

"One of the things we realized is that we were hauling around a lot of extra space with the Envoy," he said "The Mazda probably paid for itself in gas last year."

Trucks and SUVs have regained much of their popularity, according to Mazda sales consultant Matt Cameron.

"When gas was at $4, everyone was coming in," said Cameron, who works for Borgman Ford Mazda, of Grandville.

"Everybody said, 'I'm looking for fuel economy.' We don't get that anymore. People live for the moment."

The show runs until 10 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday at DeVos Place, 303 Monroe Ave. NW. Hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., with admission $10 for adults, $4 for children ages 6 to 14 and free for children ages 5 and younger.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/i...ntern.html

Really? Do people honestly have that short of a memory? We've had sub $2 gas for just a couple of months, and people want to go get gas guzzlers again? That'll help drive prices right back up again! Not to mention the summer months approaching.
Its the American way!! I went down to the Auto Show today with my son and the gas mileage for all those new cars ran the spectrum from sippers to guzzlers. The way I see it is if you can afford the sticker price you can afford the gas. By the way, the 1.5 million dollar Bugatti was smokin HOT!!
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
I'm not trading in my full size extended cab truck to save a few bucks on gas while sacrificing safety and the advantage of 4 wheel drive in winter.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Yeah I don't see myself trading in the Explorer or the Liberty any time soon, either.
That's the thing, you guys own them already. This article is talking about people looking for new vehicles. At this point in time, if I were shopping for a new vehicle, I'd still be using fuel economy as a major factor. Sure, prices aren't too bad right now, but do many people honestly expect them to stay this way?
well if that seems idiotic, check this out. http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?sectio...id=6645650

I personally never cared for trucks or anything too big to drive, but what the AAA guy in this report says is kind of crazy.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Marie is on a fixed income...yet can afford to wear faux fur and 8lbs of eye makeup :Smile

I'll buy a pocket car but won't trade my truck in. I've talked about it before, low mile beater truck, strong but ugly...perfect wood haulin, work truck. When the time comes to save money on gas I'll be buying a little honda or similar car just for me to commute to work in the summer...
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
i drive a Corolla so i'm set.