Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steroids in NFL
If this starts tarnishing the NFL the way it did baseball I will not be happy. :-[
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3912586
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Ugh.. It hurts to admit, but steroids have long been a part of the NFL. Most people consider the Steelers teams of the 70's to be group of players that began the widespread use. I just read an article by Mark Kriegel over at foxsports.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/92171...asterisks?) that pissed me off, being a Steelers fan.. but he does have a point. In a sport as violent and strength-based as football, steroids have long been prevalent. Hell, Shawne Merriman almost won DPOY two years ago even though he was suspended for four games that season for testing positive for steroids. It's a shame, and it tarnishes the legacy of the game.. but if you think that PEDs don't play a big role in the NFL, you're deluding yourself.
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
I never said I didn't think it wasn't being used. I just hope the NFL will do something about it so the gov't doesn't step in and try to mandate it.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
I guess I interpreted your comment about tarnishing in a slightly different manner. I think the government's learned their lesson by messing around so much with baseball. At a time like this, I would think our Legislature might have a few more important matters at hand.
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
as a steeler fan and someone who lives in western pa its not only common knowledge that the 70s steelers were roid heads but almost glorified!!

im curious why anyone really has a problem with it? these guys make millions of dollars and the price they pay is an early death.. with or without the roids.. i personally believe the game wouldent be near as popular if the hosses who played werent chizzeled mr 10s. if it was still a bunch of skinny white guys who weighed 105 no one would give 2 u know whats about football
It's the same (kinda) as testing them for pot. Like when Ricky Williams was suspended. Who cares, it's not hurting anyone. You could say, "Well he's a role model and is setting a bad example.", but if your not testing no one needs to know. Don't ask don't tell.
The role model thing is always going to be factor, whether you want it to be or not. And you better believe it's hurting people.. it's just not always the people who inject themselves. Some guys are natural born hitters and bonecrushing tacklers, but how many times harder can you hit someone when you're artificially jacked up?

With the ridiculous pressure on players joints as they get bigger while moving faster, is it possible that might have something to do with players needing surgery after surgery on their joints? You don't think Deuce McAllister testing positive for bumentanide (well-known as a masking agent for steroids) is a coincidence as he's coming off multiple knee surgeries, do you?

How about liver and kidney failure?

It's a bit of a catch-22. The players will take it and risk their health, but the owners paying them millions don't want to lose on their investments, which are only valuable in some cases BECAUSE they're taking steroids and risking their health. I'm against the use of PEDs, but I'm also a realist. They'll always be a part of sports, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

As for the players appearance, that kind of fails to explain the sellouts of GVSU football games. None of those guys are huge, and only a handful of them and other popular D-2 (err Bowl Subdivision or whatever the eff they're calling it now) programs will even sniff a practice squad's locker room.. but it's still popular. Maybe not 24/7 ESPN coverage popular, but I doubt the game would disappear.
Thank God it hasn't come over to Hockey...yet. I'm sure there are some guys who either use or had used a while ago. I think now though, any athlete that uses is just plain dumb because of the fact that everybody is cracking down.
Despite my dislike of sports, I am compelled to state that they are willing to take on the side-effects to win. Which is more important: working man-parts or the win?
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."