Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NY Post "Racist" Cartoon
Racist ? Really ? Sharpton is such a dick.

[Image: chimpcartoon460.jpg]
Wowie Groovie !
I was going to post this too, make it a poll asking what everyones first impressions are...

post the image as an image and the article as a link

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/wo...766822.ece

do it DO IT!!! /joe
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:I was going to post this too, make it a poll asking what everyones first impressions are...

post the image as an image and the article as a link

Do you not see the image ?
Wowie Groovie !
no...but it may be my computer

indeed it is my computer...photobucket is my enemy
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
my first impression of the comic was on par with Zanes. I would have thought that the comic had racial undertones....maybe...
I didn't see it. I knew about the chimp and I knew that Obama didn't write the bill.

I can see how people might be up in arms about it but only if they were really looking for something.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
typically i pay no attention to such comics...i'm not of a political mind and hate politics. But if someone were to shove it in my face and say "what do you think?" i may have jumped to the race conclusion...but it's hard to say as I heard about it on the radio before seeing it.
I thought it was because I hadn't heard about Travis the Facebooking monkey at the time that I first saw the comic.
the monkey looks like a monkey, if it looked like a person (dressed in a suit with an Obama badge or something) I would say they crossed the line. I will say they knew that it was going to be controversial. Although, I'm a very non racist person, (call me nave) but even when people say something racist, I sometimes have to have it explained to me.
I think that people tip toe SO much anymore, that unless it is blatantly racist, people who see it, see it because they want to. They WANT racisim to continue, because if it doesn't how else will they claim to be a VICTIM, or like Al Sharpton, get the Media attention?
I agree with sunshyne. if our country were not racist, i wouldn't even begin to know who Al Sharpton was. i think the only thing the NY Post is guilty of doing is publishing a really dumb comic that isn't funny to me. but, i do think they reached their goal of having everyone talking about them.
I think to an extent...to an extent.... the reason we as a nation are racist is because of Al Sharpton and his posse

my opinon
in a vacuum, it would have taken me several days to recognize any possible connection between monkeys and racism.

everybody is raised and engrained with a way to think. i don't think there's a middle of the road here. just different degrees of distortion that piss people off to different degrees. unless they let it go.

if i were to be offended by anything here, it would be the blood and violence first. and i'm not.

sharpton screams and bitches all the time because he doesn't know how to do anything else. his only use is an outside boundary to loosely define a social center by.
I didn't realize it could be considered racist until some one pointed out that there's a controversy over it cause someone thought it was racist.

But that's just me. I guess racist thoughts aren't the first things that come to my mind when I see things.

edit: looks like dingdong and I had similar thoughts at the same time.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
In 2009 if somebody actually went out of their way to make something blatantly racist in a publication like the NY Post, it would be a career ender. This was definitely not done to be malicious.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
"look at that little monkey go"

I LOVE racing!!!!

excuse me kids, I have some sinning to do.....
This doesn't pass the sniff test with me as being racist, intentional or otherwise. Here's why.

If Travis the monkey had been killed two months ago, under President Bush, and the same cartoon had been written in response to TARP1, no one would've said a word. It can't be racist JUST BECAUSE we have a half-black president.

Genuine racism doesn't have a timeline.
I may be splitting hairs here but Obama didn't actually write the stimulus bill anyway. Isn't it the House that writes these?
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
At my work, I am forced to celebrate black history month.. Even take quizzes on slavery and things like that. I turned to one of my co-workers who is black, and said "Why if we are to become friends and have peace do we once a year pick a scab and bring hatred back? If to be equal, doesn't it mean to forgive and know that it should never be done again, but why pour the gas on to flames, acting as the white friend and the black friend can never move forward, and really be friends. Celebrate, educate, but remember there were good people to help." He looked at me and said, "You're right." Simple. My heart and feelings, honestly why Sharpton is a racist ass.
Quote:At my work, I am forced to celebrate black history month..

Wow. Just....wow.
Loved the poll options, good job! The cartoon isn't racist. I'm sure the editors knew that there are enough ignorant and/or race-crazed people out there that a stink would be made. Their "We apologize you were offended" response was perfect and nicely insulting. I personally hope that when Al Sharpton dies that whole racist victim culture disappears with it, but sadly I'm sure there are plenty to take his place.

I'd like to see Cosby take on Sharpton and Kanye, I think he could take them.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
I guess Sharpton doesn't believe in Freedom of the Press. Racist or not.
Of course Sharpton only believes in freedom of the press to regurgitate his hater views but not to express anyone else's.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Torque Wrote:Loved the poll options, good job! The cartoon isn't racist. I'm sure the editors knew that there are enough ignorant and/or race-crazed people out there that a stink would be made. Their "We apologize you were offended" response was perfect and nicely insulting. I personally hope that when Al Sharpton dies that whole racist victim culture disappears with it, but sadly I'm sure there are plenty to take his place.

Jesse Jackson
The Post has been tabloid status for years now... months ago when a man lost his job and killed his family and himself, this is the same publication that put the family photo on the cover with the word "TERMINATED!" in 90 point font. There's a problem when a news publication decides to BECOME the news rather then report it.

Which is why I think this was done intentionally to bring up racist undertones... publicity. Not to mention that I think any punchline that the cartoon attempts to push through is vague at best. No matter what the "joke" is supposed to be, they're saying a monkey wrote the stimulus bill and you can't tell me that whoever drew this didn't put 2 and 2 together.
lokizilla Wrote:At my work, I am forced to celebrate black history month.. Even take quizzes on slavery and things like that. I turned to one of my co-workers who is black, and said "Why if we are to become friends and have peace do we once a year pick a scab and bring hatred back? If to be equal, doesn't it mean to forgive and know that it should never be done again, but why pour the gas on to flames, acting as the white friend and the black friend can never move forward, and really be friends. Celebrate, educate, but remember there were good people to help." He looked at me and said, "You're right." Simple. My heart and feelings, honestly why Sharpton is a racist ass.

How can a workplace "force" you to celebrate black history?!!! It's like forcing someone to celebrate Christmas!! Not that I'm against black history, but really, how can a workplace "force" you to celebrate and take quizzes on something like that? That is bizarre!! Where do you work? Really, isn't that illegal?!
lokizilla Wrote:At my work, I am forced to celebrate black history month.. Even take quizzes on slavery and things like that. I turned to one of my co-workers who is black, and said "Why if we are to become friends and have peace do we once a year pick a scab and bring hatred back? If to be equal, doesn't it mean to forgive and know that it should never be done again, but why pour the gas on to flames, acting as the white friend and the black friend can never move forward, and really be friends. Celebrate, educate, but remember there were good people to help." He looked at me and said, "You're right." Simple. My heart and feelings, honestly why Sharpton is a racist ass.

BS
mainerliser Wrote:How can a workplace "force" you to celebrate black history?!!! It's like forcing someone to celebrate Christmas!! Not that I'm against black history, but really, how can a workplace "force" you to celebrate and take quizzes on something like that? That is bizarre!! Where do you work? Really, isn't that illegal?!

Quite easily. They have been handing out Black History Quizzes. Place your name and Supervisors name on it.... Reminding people of the date that they are due back in.... Forcing comes in the fact that in an environment where a white person is a minority, and if they refuse, they automatically start labeling you as a racist. As the same thing happened, when they found out that I didn't vote for Obama.
jus' P Wrote:BS

Which part?

Do you work at the Democratic National Committee or for the Rainbow Coalition or something?
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Nope, I work at a Call Center. I talk to many people a day. It does feel like I work at the Democratic Committee, I think besides me there are only a few other people that are Conservatives. If you look at the demographics of my work, conservatives are not easy to spot. All the demographics at my work favor, Democratic or what is normally classified as minorities, when looking at the employee sets at work.
lokizilla Wrote:
mainerliser Wrote:How can a workplace "force" you to celebrate black history?!!! It's like forcing someone to celebrate Christmas!! Not that I'm against black history, but really, how can a workplace "force" you to celebrate and take quizzes on something like that? That is bizarre!! Where do you work? Really, isn't that illegal?!

Quite easily. They have been handing out Black History Quizzes. Place your name and Supervisors name on it.... Reminding people of the date that they are due back in.... Forcing comes in the fact that in an environment where a white person is a minority, and if they refuse, they automatically start labeling you as a racist. As the same thing happened, when they found out that I didn't vote for Obama.

If it were me, I would be finding new work. I give you props for putting up with that kind of behavior though. I agree with your other statement that we can never fully get over the black/white issue if we keep bringing it up every February how different we are. We can not keep living as a nation the way we are. Not sure how it will happen, but we are a powder keg waiting to blow.
I think that since we are only about 40 years removed from serious, serious racial stereotypes and real violence against blacks, especially in the south, and the murder of Dr Martin Luther King, Blacks in America are just now coming into their own as political equals to whites and as such every one needs to be patient.

They must remember that with out white support that this would not be a possibility. And we whites need to remember that not too awful long ago we did have institutionalized racism and racial separation in roughly half our country. Many people may still spit and grumble about reverse racism which may indeed happen, but we need to all be tolerant of each others views and vocal when this does happen, but violence has NO part in our national conversation, as it was in the early 1960's.

I think every one would agree that we can never nor would we ever, go back to this type of national behavior whether it is perpetrated by white or black.
Mad Dog Wrote:I think that since we are only about 40 years removed from serious, serious racial stereotypes and real violence against blacks, especially in the south, and the murder of Dr Martin Luther King, Blacks in America are just now coming into their own as political equals to whites and as such every one needs to be patient.

They must remember that with out white support that this would not be a possibility. And we whites need to remember that not too awful long ago we did have institutionalized racism and racial separation in roughly half our country. Many people may still spit and grumble about reverse racism which may indeed happen, but we need to all be tolerant of each others views and vocal when this does happen, but violence has NO part in our national conversation, as it was in the early 1960's.

I think every one would agree that we can never nor would we ever, go back to this type of national behavior whether it is perpetrated by white or black.

I see your point but 40 years removed of racial segregation has nothing to do with employers giving you mandatory tests on slavery. That is BS and if someone tried to do that with a White test he would be fired and have charges brought up against him.
So do what Martin Luther King did. Express your views with peaceful protest. ( I'm not insinuating that you don't, just saying)
lokizilla Wrote:

what happens if you fail these quizzes?

if this were happening to me, i'd be disgusted about being treated like i'm in elementary school. reverse racism probably wouldn't occur to me.
Seriously, how has this not been moved to the Touchy Subject forum?

Regardless if it is racist, you cannot convince me that no editor at the post knew about the stereotype of monkey/African Americans, and was unaware that there might be backlash.
Ding, I am disgusted...but it proves the point that every little thing can be turned into racism, when it is not. Sometimes, if you think of it government feels like a monkey on your back....
LOKI SAID MONKEY! SHE'S A RACIST!!!
Did someone say black hole?
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
hotzester Wrote:LOKI SAID MONKEY! SHE'S A RACIST!!!

Funny...thank goodness I'm so used to that at work. But google works well when having to take an unsupervised non-work related quiz. I even passed out the answers.