Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rest In Peace King RB
During a local break today, Free Beer broke the news that local DJ Rick Beckett passed away Thursday night. Feel free to share any Rick Beckett memories.
I remember listening to Rick and Scott on September 11, 2001 when the planes hit the Trade Centers. They stayed on til around noon or later just taking calls and being there to listen to what others had to say about that horrible day. Oh and he autographed my GRD mug that I got at the Dunkin Donuts in Grandville during a remote.
I remember Rick and Scott being the first morning show I listened to... started to listen on my drive to school when I turned 16.
I too listened to them on GRD in the mornings on my way to school. I liked them and thought their morning show was pretty good. In fact, after I came back to the GR area after college I was started listening to GRD in the morning again thinking they'd still be on and that's when I first heard Freebeer and Hotwings.
RDS was the first morning show I really listened to on a consistent basis. I thought it was way edgy at the time (I grew up going to private school and was raised in a rather conservative family) and a little taboo. That being said, there were times it was obvious Rick was plastered while on the air, especially after Darla left.. it was a bit sad. But he took it upon himself to get into rehab and fix his life up, and he deserves a lot of credit for that.. I'm sure it wasn't easy. And I feel bad for Winters, too.. maybe it was because they were crafty radio vets, but it really seemed like the two of them were more like close friends than just coworkers. If I heard it correctly, I think they were on air together for more than fifteen years.. that's a hard thing to lose.

So, thanks for the memories Rick.. you helped make a man out of me with your "Guess the cup size" bits. Wink
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
Rick and his morning crew were the best when at grd and they paved the way for the likes of freebeer and hotwings, may he rest in peace west michigan will never forget brother
Pretty sad, I know he went to rehab and was clean for a while, but I had heard he was on and off drinking still the last couple years. Rick and Scott on WGRD was a good morning show for years until Darla left, I think they even had Stephanie Webb in there at times.

He couldn't have been much older than 50? So sad.
Yeah, Stephanie was with them for awhile, don't remember how long she worked with them, though.
potthole Wrote:Yeah, Stephanie was with them for awhile, don't remember how long she worked with them, though.
Stephanie was there with them up until they left GRD and she teamed up with Michael Grey for a short time until FB&HW came to town. Right after Stephanie started with Rick and Scott, Rick asked her what nationality she is, she told him and he replied with "I bet you have a really hairy bush". I almost died from the awkwardness. Thanks for the memories Rick.
I remember waking up to a snowy morning one day around 1995 and finding Winters listing all of the school closings. That was the first time I listened to a morning show, and I was hooked since.
I was a huge RDS, then Rick and Scott fan right up until the end of their time at GRD. I was in college and started listening to country (puke).
It was FBHW that got me back to listening to WGRD and I began listening online in college in Flint and even waking up at 5 to hear the whole show. hehe

Anyway, I forgot how much Rick had shaped my humor . . . he's missed already.
I used to listen to RDS while working as the parking lot attendant at the GVSU downtown campus. They made the boring time move faster.

I would still listen to Rick and Scott on 1300 after the FBHW show. Not as funny but still good. I will miss his smart ass remarks and laugh.