Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
opinion on a camera
here's the story.

My wife just bought a Nikon L18
She has been talking about the damn thing for months.

I was just wondering if this camera is good or if there are any others that are in the same range but better. I know it is a good camera for casual use, I know the nikon name is pretty well regarded.

here is the camera and this is where we got it from. http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigat...tem=396416

She would have gotten the camera regardless, but I was just curious about the opinions of the photographers and amateur photography enthusiasts here.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Don't have experience with that specific camera, but we've got a handheld Nikon that we really like. For the price, I would say your wife got a nice buy.

I use Nikon for my 'big' camera, and have always loved their products.
My first "real" camera was a Nikon mostly because it was the best that I could afford at the time,

However, now I am a Nikonian to the bone.

Not that that helps you with your issue.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:My first "real" camera was a Nikon mostly because it was the best that I could afford at the time,

However, now I am a Nikonian to the bone.

Not that that helps you with your issue.

Well between you and pot i was expecting you guys to be the only answers for this seeing as you 2 are pretty big with your photo work, and especially considering you do it for a living.(and you got those hot pics of IPJ, that right there makes your opinion #1)
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I don't know that particular camera, but just looking at the specs vs. the price, I think it's a good buy. Hell, it's an 8 MP shooter with lots of features, and it cost significantly less than my 10 MP DSLR.

If your wife is just looking for a camera to "point and shoot", then I think she'll be quite pleased with it.
hotzester Wrote:I don't know that particular camera, but just looking at the specs vs. the price, I think it's a good buy. Hell, it's an 8 MP shooter with lots of features, and it cost significantly less than my 10 MP DSLR.

If your wife is just looking for a camera to "point and shoot", then I think she'll be quite pleased with it.

Exactly... 8 MP for under $100, and on a Nikon, is a good buy.
What makes me laugh (and cry) to think about is that it was only four or five years ago that we paid $200 for a 4MP point and shoot.
You're tellin' me... I was recently reading the website of a photographer and he mentioned that a new Nikon D40, which you could probably pick up for around $600, is better than some other Nikon that he got a few years ago for over $2000.
The fiancee and I are going to give ourselves an early wedding present of a brand new SLR. I can't wait, it's going to be awesome.
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Do you know what you're getting Orzo?
We're looking at something in the Canon Rebel series, or the Nikon D80 or D90. We still have a bunch of research to do. I've always used a crappy point and shoot, so learning about everything that an SLR can do is amazing (and a little overwhelming).
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Right now, my camera is a D80, I'm hoping to upgrade to a D3 in the Fall, and I highly recommend it.

Do yourself a favor though, after you get you DSLR get one of these books...

[Image: thedigitalphotographybovr0.jpg]

Or Volume 2

[Image: 41c1vZehw-L__SL500_.jpg]

They are simply the best books on the subject of digital photography. They are written to be readable by the average Joe, so that rather than feeling like a technical manual, it's more like you and a guy who knows photography having a conversation. Both books are available at Barnes and Noble, and online.
Wowie Groovie !
Wow, for a second I thought I'd WRITTEN those books.
hotzester Wrote:Wow, for a second I thought I'd WRITTEN those books.

Yeah when I found out your real name over on the facebook group it freaked me out a little, cause one of my photographer buddies here in GR is also a Scott Kelly
Wowie Groovie !
That's not my real name, I don't know what you're talking about.

1-800-WIT-NESS
Must be that other guy I was thinking of.
Wowie Groovie !
Thanks for the book recommendation. We'll check them out.