Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sneak Peak at the new FBHW site
So, I was poking around the main Free Beer and Hot Wings site, and I accidentally stumbled on part of the new site design.

It still looks like MyTown has it in testing mode, because not a lot of content is uploaded. However, the new Bios that the guys were talking about are up there. In terms of good news, it looks like it doesn't break as much as it does in Firefox or Chrome.

It looks pretty decent, MyTown guys. It'd be nice if the top header had a bigger font, but whatever. Web design is a pain in the ass, especially when you're trying to make it look decent for the top 4 internet browsers. Keep on trucking.

http://freebeerandhotwings.com/Aboutus.asp
http://www.freebeerandhotwings.com/insid...=video-joe
http://freebeerandhotwings.com/information.asp
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Holy Eff, they really might have a new site someday! Awesome find +1 for that, I agree that the top header needs a bigger font size, it is super tiny on my 19in screen.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
The new site is definitely looking nice. I know it's not much right now but it looks like a huge improvement. Very sleek.

0rz0ski Wrote:In terms of good news, it looks like it doesn't break as much as it does in Firefox or Chrome.

Really? How does it break in Firefox? I've never had problems.
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
mayorofawesometown Wrote:The new site is definitely looking nice. I know it's not much right now but it looks like a huge improvement. Very sleek.

0rz0ski Wrote:In terms of good news, it looks like it doesn't break as much as it does in Firefox or Chrome.

Really? How does it break in Firefox? I've never had problems.

The front page videos all stack together, so you can't read the brilliant captions that the interns write.
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
they have a link at the top for the board too...awesome!
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
i use opera, and their site never loads right for me either. i always have to open IE just to view the site. this new one looked good though.
If you haven't already found it on your own, you can also view the new main page...

http://www.freebeerandhotwings.com/index_2009new.asp

I think its definately an improvement, but could use a few technological updates. For example, you should be able to directly view all WCJD vids, etc. on the website, instead of downloading them or linking them to another site. A FB&HW media player would be nice. Maybe even be of better quality. Also, the flash on the main page really slows down my work computer, don't know if its because its an old piece shit or if its because the website is still under construction, but it definately is lagging. All in all though, can't wait for the new site to be finished!
Its about time we see something! from a webmasters POV: banner on the home page can be wider - I've been making mine about 800 to 850 pixels wide and theirs is 550 wide. Most people these days have decent sized monitors that can handle a design bigger than 800x600. Making the design wider would allow much more room to make those thumbnail images on the home page a bigger size. Personally, I'd make the navigation larger as well, and maybe the font of the logo instead of boring ol' Arial. Overall not a bad look, though. I like the black and red in the background. Anxious to see it when its made live!
hussywoman Wrote:Its about time we see something! from a webmasters POV: banner on the home page can be wider - I've been making mine about 800 to 850 pixels wide and theirs is 550 wide. Most people these days have decent sized monitors that can handle a design bigger than 800x600. Making the design wider would allow much more room to make those thumbnail images on the home page a bigger size. Personally, I'd make the navigation larger as well, and maybe the font of the logo instead of boring ol' Arial. Overall not a bad look, though. I like the black and red in the background. Anxious to see it when its made live!

Since you're a 'webmaster' and into criticizing other's work (that isn't finished yet) why not make your page available, so that the rest of can see it's awesomeness?
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
The thumbnails should be links instead of having to click only on the text, there are still some rendering issues when viewing the Joe Videos page in Firefox, and they are still loading full-size images to be used as thumbnails.

It's a million times better than the old one, though. The MyTown guys should really aim for better cross-browser compatibility (read: standards compliance) than strictly coding for IE.
Seriously, why the Eff are people bitching about a web page that isn't even finished.

If you think you can do better, create your own Effing page. I'm sure they guys would be more than happy to accommodate your whiny asses with links to the videos, bios, etc.

:-[
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Why do you get so upset about people expressing their opinions?
hopstah Wrote:Why do you get so upset about people expressing their opinions?

I get upset at people telling other people how to do their job. I'm sure most of the people bitching either couldn't or wouldn't want to do it themselves. Just be happy that it is getting updated.

Plus, IT'S NOT DONE YET!!!
I, personally, wasn't bitching. I actually am happy to see that it's finally coming together. I could easily create a new site for them, but when in comes down to it, it is a lot of work, just getting a feel for the layout takes time. The graphics are the easiest part. My input was strictly a suggestion. I think it'd be nice to have a video player that can be axcess on the page directly. Flash is always a nice touch and makes any page look nicer... but then again, that is a lot of work too! And, again, I can't wait to see the finish product up and running.
Rock Monster Wrote:IT'S NOT DONE YET!!!

I hope not, the text is too small and some of the links are broken
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
xxxredeye Wrote:I, personally, wasn't bitching. I actually am happy to see that it's finally coming together. I could easily create a new site for them, but when in comes down to it, it is a lot of work, just getting a feel for the layout takes time. The graphics are the easiest part. My input was strictly a suggestion. I think it'd be nice to have a video player that can be axcess on the page directly. Flash is always a nice touch and makes any page look nicer... but then again, that is a lot of work too! And, again, I can't wait to see the finish product up and running.

I was referring to the hussy and to hopstah. Your post didn't sound bitchy or whiny.

As far as the media player on the page, instead of links or downloading videos.... how much bandwidth does that take up? I'm assuming that MyTown is still doing this for free (which explains the time) Would more bandwidth cost them more money? I don't know the answerers, just speculating...
I think the bandwidth is provided by Triton.net. I don't think it would cost much more, or anything more, I think a lot more is used in downloading media rather than streaming. But, I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to that. Maybe someone else could answer that!
The bandwidth is in fact provided by www.Triton.net

They're good people and you should see them for hosting needs!
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I wish someone had screen shots of the first website.

That thing was a little challenging to navigate.
houseboat Wrote:I wish someone had screen shots of the first website.

That thing was a little challenging to navigate.

Go to www.archive.org and type in freebeerandhotwings.com. This site is great for looking into the past!
The new site in progress is definitely a big improvement. I loved the one shot of the guys on the top of the main page where they're all scowling and putting on a deep-in-thought-expression... except Joe who looks like he just sharted.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
Well I can say that it makes MyTown look a lot better. The site they currently have was kinda bad for a long time. this is really making up for it.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I think they should make that failure tally they were doing earlier this year available on their new site. People could be able to listen to their failures and next year they can have a tournament similar to the PA pranks tourney.

Each member would have their own bracket and only their failures would be in their bracket. If Zane has too many failures, they just eliminate some of them. They would face off and listeners would vote online and each person would have one failure in the final 4. The 2 that make it to the final could do some sort of embarrassing stunt or something.

BUT I love the new site. Looks sweet!
only thing is that freebeer hotwings and joe barely have any failures, especially joe because he gets a lot less mic time.
Rock Monster Wrote:
xxxredeye Wrote:I, personally, wasn't bitching. I actually am happy to see that it's finally coming together. I could easily create a new site for them, but when in comes down to it, it is a lot of work, just getting a feel for the layout takes time. The graphics are the easiest part. My input was strictly a suggestion. I think it'd be nice to have a video player that can be axcess on the page directly. Flash is always a nice touch and makes any page look nicer... but then again, that is a lot of work too! And, again, I can't wait to see the finish product up and running.

I was referring to the hussy and to hopstah. Your post didn't sound bitchy or whiny.

As far as the media player on the page, instead of links or downloading videos.... how much bandwidth does that take up? I'm assuming that MyTown is still doing this for free (which explains the time) Would more bandwidth cost them more money? I don't know the answerers, just speculating...

I didn't mean to make it sound bitchy, was just giving my opinion. I don't have a personal site but I've done many for the company i work for. Hell, I've got a dedicated web server at work and would gladly design/host their site but I know the guys are buddies with My Town. I realize the site isn't close to being done yet, just wanted to offer some design advice. oh well.
hussywoman Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:I was referring to the hussy and to hopstah. Your post didn't sound bitchy or whiny.

I didn't mean to make it sound bitchy, was just giving my opinion. I don't have a personal site but I've done many for the company i work for. Hell, I've got a dedicated web server at work and would gladly design/host their site but I know the guys are buddies with My Town. I realize the site isn't close to being done yet, just wanted to offer some design advice. oh well.

could you host a site for free?

i'm thinking about getting into...the industry....just to work my way through nursing school
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
hussywoman Wrote:I didn't mean to make it sound bitchy, was just giving my opinion. I don't have a personal site but I've done many for the company i work for. Hell, I've got a dedicated web server at work and would gladly design/host their site but I know the guys are buddies with My Town. I realize the site isn't close to being done yet, just wanted to offer some design advice. oh well.

i'm thinking about getting into...the industry....just to work my way through nursing school

Depends on what type of business its for. Sometimes I can swing things, since I've worked here for 8+ yrs.
hussywoman Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:could you host a site for free?

Depends on what type of business its for. Sometimes I can swing things, since I've worked here for 8+ yrs.

I think he wants to whore himself out.
to other men
Rock Monster Wrote:
hussywoman Wrote:Depends on what type of business its for. Sometimes I can swing things, since I've worked here for 8+ yrs.

I think he wants to whore himself out.
to other men

I didn't think cows knew how to use the internet. How would they find his site?

Hussywoman just canceled her account. ???
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Queenie Wrote:Hussywoman just canceled her membership. ???

what the eff?
hussywoman Wrote:I didn't mean to make it sound bitchy, was just giving my opinion. I don't have a personal site but I've done many for the company i work for. Hell, I've got a dedicated web server at work and would gladly design/host their site but I know the guys are buddies with My Town. I realize the site isn't close to being done yet, just wanted to offer some design advice. oh well.

Howie, most businesses won't host beastility sites anyway.
Queenie Wrote:Hussywoman just canceled her membership. ???

what the eff?

And in the spirit of Wednesday . . . it's all your fault Howie. Wink
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Queenie Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:what the eff?

And in the spirit of Wednesday . . . it's all your fault Howie. Wink

see, this pick on howie day lifts everyone's spirits.

well except howie, but he doesn't count.
Philly Mike Wrote:only thing is that freebeer hotwings and joe barely have any failures, especially joe because he gets a lot less mic time.

For Free Beer (or any one that doesn't have enough failures) they could do best of's. Stuff like cup in the face, Lord of the Rings place, and everything.
Still looks like shit to me.

Functionality over form I guess (cause you can NEVER have both form AND functionality /sarcasm)
Hey, there's even a link to the message board under The Show tab! That's pretty sweet!
That's what she said.
Allyson Wrote:Hey, there's even a link to the message board under The Show tab! That's pretty sweet!

Good job there Captain Obvious!

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:they have a link at the top for the board too...awesome!
Rock Monster Wrote:
Allyson Wrote:Hey, there's even a link to the message board under The Show tab! That's pretty sweet!

Good job there Captain Obvious!

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:they have a link at the top for the board too...awesome!

There are actually 2 seperate links to the message board on the new site, one is obvious, the other is hidden unless you click on the show tab.
zdunklee Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:Good job there Captain Obvious!

There are actually 2 seperate links to the message board on the new site, one is obvious, the other is hidden unless you click on the show tab.

yah i had seen both of them....pretty exciting..