Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underrated Movies
Well seeing as a lot of you have things to say about overrated movies, why not bring up some underrated movies. There are plenty of movies that don't really get the shine they deserve because something else big came out at the time, or it was ahead of it's time.

The best I can think of at the moment is suicide kings. At least I never heard of the movie until I saw it at the wal-mart DVD bargain bin.
here is the info on that movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120241/
Effing hilarious.

What can you guys think of?
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
A lot of people (at least some of I've talked to) seem to not like the Ocean's movies. I think they are really well written and acted myself.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Ocean's 11 is great.

12 and 13? bleeaaach
Labyrinth.

[Image: labyrinth_movie.jpg]

you know i'm right.
Jo Wrote:Labyrinth.

you know i'm right.

my wife would totally agree with you.

the Goonies, the Sandlot
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
I agree with you on the Sandlot Howie.... Such a good movie....

Labyrinth is amazing. I have watched it so many times that I could probably do a one-woman recap of the entire movie... I am unaware if that makes me cooler or knocks me down a few notches on the ladder of awesome...
Is Goonies really underrated ? I thought everyone loved that one.

Hot Rod. I saw it on HBO last night, and I have to say, it was much funnier than I thought. I'm not saying it's the next Animal House or Anchorman, but still pretty damn funny
Wowie Groovie !
I thought goonies and labrynth were on everyone's favorites lists.

there is a series of movies underrated, the whole el mariachi series (el mariachi, desperado, and once upon a time in mexico.)
Great movies, up there on my all time favs
Office Space - not enough people know about it.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
The Big Lebowski
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
van wilder, ryan reynolds at his best.
I agree with Office Space... I however do not agree with The Big Lebowski... there is too much of a cult following with that movie. I believe that it is fully appriciated.
Philly Mike Wrote:van wilder, ryan reynolds at his best.

Yep, at his utterly craptastic best
Wowie Groovie !
I agree with boizalynne about Lebowski. The film has a yearly festival devoted to it... might not have been a boxoffice smash, but it's got a huge cult following.
Titan ! Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:van wilder, ryan reynolds at his best.

Yep, at his utterly craptastic best

"Waiting" I thought was pretty good also.
motorboatking Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Yep, at his utterly craptastic best

"Waiting" I thought was pretty good also.

Waiting was only good because...... Ummm that one guy did that thing.... Nope I got nothing
Wowie Groovie !
I thought this was about UNDERrated films, most of the films here have a pretty decent following.

But I'll say...Hot Rod as well. I saw it for free in theatres, and after all the crap that was going on around me at the time it was so refreshing. I bought the DVD later with my fat gov't moneys.

Also, Big Fish
yes, big fish. Very well put together movie, completely forgot that one.
UHF
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
boizalynne Wrote:I agree with Office Space... I however do not agree with The Big Lebowski... there is too much of a cult following with that movie. I believe that it is fully appriciated.

You must be joking right? Office Space is just as much of a cult movie as The Big Lebowski... From Wiki:

While not a box office success, the film has become a cult classic; it has since sold very well on video and DVD, and some of the movie's dialogue has entered into the popular lexicon since its release.[1]

Not to mention they had a 10th anniversary reunion this February with the entire cast and crew.
I consider something that didn't do good at the boxoffice to be underrated. RHPS could be considered in the same way.
Waiting, a very very funny movie that's life was cut short when it was sent to Comedy Central Hell to live out an eternity of re-runs! Was as good, if not, better than Van Wilder!

Another movie, I may catch a lot of shit for, is Sex Drive, which just came out on DVD. I rented it last weekend with very low expectations and found myself laughing my ass off all the way to the end. Plus, Seth Green is in it and anything with Seth Green in it is good, even though he had a small role. I suggest you check it out!
Special note: If you are gonna see it, watch the rated version first! The unrated version is just the regular version with naked chicks and cocks super-imposed on the screen. If you watch the unrated version you'll be to distracted by the huge black cocks and small white tits, but mostly the cocks! Trust me! Wink
xxxredeye Wrote:Waiting, a very very funny movie that's life was cut short when it was sent to Comedy Central Hell to live out an eternity of re-runs! Was as good, if not, better than Van Wilder!

Another movie, I may catch a lot of shit for, is Sex Drive, which just came out on DVD. I rented it last weekend with very low expectations and found myself laughing my ass off all the way to the end. Plus, Seth Green is in it and anything with Seth Green in it is good, even though he had a small role. I suggest you check it out!
Special note: If you are gonna see it, watch the rated version first! The unrated version is just the regular version with naked chicks and cocks super-imposed on the screen. If you watch the unrated version you'll be to distracted by the huge black cocks and small white tits, but mostly the cocks! Trust me! Wink

so.... you are distracted by big cocks more than tits ???
His eye is red from the spunk, apparently.

That was uncalled for ( I apologise.)
Yeah, cocks make me nervous. :o
Nervous...with anticipation
Uneasiness
Hell yeah on The Sandlot! My two for this list would be Boondock Saints and Equilibrium. Saints was never allowed a good run in the theaters because of its level of violence and its release being near the Columbine massacre. Unfortunately, Equilibrium was overshadowed by the release of The Matrix despite having much better fight scenes (look em up on YT) and a more interesting plot . Neo went on to star in... The Replacements. Bale became Batman and everyone's favorite anger-management student.

Equilibrium official trailer:

[flash=350,287]http://www.youtube.com/v/TlqpfV9marA&hl=en[/flash]

This clip is definitely NSFW.. just a warning. And might contain a spoiler or two. A bit melodramatic, but the movie is great.

[flash=350,287]http://www.youtube.com/v/JKzM8xsQ5-U&hl=en[/flash]
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
Admin Wrote:UHF
LOL!!!
"Nothing! Absolutely nothing! STUPID! You're so STUPIIIID!"
zdunklee Wrote:
boizalynne Wrote:I agree with Office Space... I however do not agree with The Big Lebowski... there is too much of a cult following with that movie. I believe that it is fully appriciated.

You must be joking right? Office Space is just as much of a cult movie as The Big Lebowski... From Wiki:

While not a box office success, the film has become a cult classic; it has since sold very well on video and DVD, and some of the movie's dialogue has entered into the popular lexicon since its release.[1]

Not to mention they had a 10th anniversary reunion this February with the entire cast and crew.

Well when I typed it, I thought of the fact that Office Space has a cult following also... but I believe that Lebowskis is much bigger...
BUT
way to belittle me!!! 8-)
Sadly, Imray, I don't think that Boondock Saints qualifies as underrated. Awesome movie, and I'm excited to see the sequal that'll be coming out later in the year (fingers crossed), but it's got too big of a following to be underrated in my book.
The Cooler. Check it out.
potthole Wrote:Sadly, Imray, I don't think that Boondock Saints qualifies as underrated. Awesome movie, and I'm excited to see the sequal that'll be coming out later in the year (fingers crossed), but it's got too big of a following to be underrated in my book.

well considering that rotten tomatoes doesn't even have any user reviews and the reviews online were either really bad or really good, i would have to say this can depend on the people you've spoken to about the movie, I know a lot of people who hated this movie with a passion, even though I've never seen it. So I would say it depends on who you talk to and the types you know if this movie is underrated or not.
High School High
Here's the thing... alot if not most of the films that were underrated in the theaters became cult classics, so it is hard to define a definate line between what we should consider, in fact, 'Underrated' and what should be considered dually appreciated after their run in the theater...

That being said...

Trainspotting, Monsters Inc., and Baseketball
TransSiberian, if you haven't seen it you should.
potthole Wrote:Sadly, Imray, I don't think that Boondock Saints qualifies as underrated. Awesome movie, and I'm excited to see the sequal that'll be coming out later in the year (fingers crossed), but it's got too big of a following to be underrated in my book.

Well, if that's the case, I'm glad of it. It's a great movie. Almost no one I ask at either workplace has heard of it, so I figured it didn't have a following like Office Space or Lebowski. In any case, I am curious if other people have seen Equilibrium and what their opinions were.. but pm'ing about that would probably be better than straying off topic here. Wink
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
Imray_Pinasheep Wrote:Well, if that's the case, I'm glad of it. It's a great movie. Almost no one I ask at either workplace has heard of it, so I figured it didn't have a following like Office Space or Lebowski. In any case, I am curious if other people have seen Equilibrium and what their opinions were.. but pm'ing about that would probably be better than straying off topic here. Wink

Philly Mike Wrote:well considering that rotten tomatoes doesn't even have any user reviews and the reviews online were either really bad or really good, i would have to say this can depend on the people you've spoken to about the movie, I know a lot of people who hated this movie with a passion, even though I've never seen it. So I would say it depends on who you talk to and the types you know if this movie is underrated or not.

Boondock Saints was for all intensive purposes a straight to DVD movie. When it first came out on DVD, actually, it was pretty much only sold at Blockbuster, as part of some special deal that got signed (I believe largely because they were the only ones who'd sign a deal to distribute the film).

Blockbuster sales did so well, however that eventually 20th Century Fox bought the rights to distribute the film, getting it into many more stores than before.

I guess that when I see that, I figure if enough people know of it and buy it for all that to happen, it's not really all that underrated. That's just my opinion, though. By no means am I the end-all-say-all.
Well i have never seen the movie, it never really caught my interest. Hell i never even heard of it until one day i was searching my digital cable for the boondocks to see what time new episodes were coming on a couple of years ago, and I saw it there.
Bad Santa