Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye bye Redding
Jeez.. It's like Mayhew was waiting for Millen to get out the way so some real football business could be conducted. Trading Cory Redding (never a Pro-Bowler) and a fifth round pick (useful yes.. but they can do without) to get Julian Petersen is a good call. I know Petersen's best years may be behind him, but he's an instant improvement and Redding is a minor loss. Redding will never put up numbers like he did playing with Shaun Rogers, and his signing for 49 mill over 7 years was as bad as some of the Raiders' recent signings.

Slowly but surely, Detroit's front office is giving me hope. I'm hoping they'll be smart enough to draft a lineman (Smith or Monroe) #1 rather than a qb. Hell, they could pick a lineman #1 and maybe get Alex Mack at #20 for a center to be Raiola's eventual replacement.. or another LB like Cushing or Laurenitis at #20.. or possibly even another WR threat (though I'm not really for that idea). I'm definitely feeling more optimistic.. but isn't that how the off/pre-season always goes here? :'(
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
I'm guessing this opens up the door for them to take a lineman at #1, with a pre-season under his belt I think Culpepper can be a decent QB with a good line, and he is the only one with the arm strength to give CJ the deep pass.

If they can get Laurenitis at #20 that would really solidify the LB's and at what would be a decent price. I think Mayhew is making some really good moves right now to get the Lions at least going in a positive direction. Who knows this deal could lead them to trade down a few spots in the draft order for an extra pick or two, at this point it is really up in the air.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
Funny they traded him for a guy another team was about to cut.

I don't know how the NFL cap works, but if it means unloaded Cory Redding's huge contract, i'm all for it.
It does mean exactly that, they got a decent vet. linebacker that is better than anything they have currently and they lost that massive salary for a shitty Redding, hello cap space.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
Petersen might be on the decline, but he's still better than anyone the Lions currently have at LB, except MAYBE Sims. I'm all for them taking an OT at #1. It'd be nice if they could trade down and grab some more picks, but I think it unlikely that anyone in the top 5, or maybe even 10, is going to be moving around much. I like the idea of them picking up another OL at #20 (if you're going to completely rebuild the o-line is a good place to start), or maybe a DB if there's anyone worth the pick still left.

Maybe it's me, but I like what I've seen from Pat White. He can move and he can throw. He's undersized (6 ft, 190), but so's Drew Brees. White's won four bowl games, (Sugar, Gator, Fiesta and Meineke.. a throwaway, but he still had a hell of a game), and his mobility would be a big asset behind a young offensive line. If he's available at pick 33, I wouldn't be upset with that pick at all. I think Culpepper could have a decent year, but he's definitely not a long term solution.
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
Imray_Pinasheep Wrote:Maybe it's me, but I like what I've seen from Pat White. He can move and he can throw. He's undersized (6 ft, 190), but so's Drew Brees. White's won four bowl games, (Sugar, Gator, Fiesta and Meineke.. a throwaway, but he still had a hell of a game), and his mobility would be a big asset behind a young offensive line. If he's available at pick 33, I wouldn't be upset with that pick at all. I think Culpepper could have a decent year, but he's definitely not a long term solution.

I don't like the White idea. Running QB's never amount to anything in the NFL.

I do like the idea of trying for Cutler though.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Rock Monster Wrote:I don't like the White idea. Running QB's never amount to anything in the NFL.

I do like the idea of trying for Cutler though.

He can move, but he's a better thrower than the "running quarterbacks" (aka glorified rb's) that have come out in recent years. I know it's a risk, but I think his talent justifies a second or third round pick. He's been a 65% passer the last three years, and he's improved his TD-INT ratio each year (which was never worse than 2-1). I'd be a lot more comfortable taking White in the second (or third?) round than Stafford or Sanchez at #1.

As for Cutler, I like the idea.. but I think Denver is going to want to at least swap picks in the first round with whoever they trade with. I think the Lions need a cornerstone OL, which likely won't be available at the 12th pick. It's an interesting option, though.