Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stars and Stripes, Old Glory, The Starry Banner
The American Flag.

I just finished installing a new hoisting rope on the flag pole outside my office. One of the clips had broken and the rope was starting to get a little dry rotten so I went to ACE and purchased all new stuff. While I was there I also looked into Solar and wired spot/fog lights as our flag isn't lighted at night (big pet peeve of mine). When I reported back to my supervisor with the spendings and the possible spending for the light she replied with:

"It's a lot of wasted energy (wired light) to only light the flag"

What the Eff!

How many people actually think this way? Am I some blind, uber-patriotic sap that thinks the rules for displaying our flag should be followed?

I tell ya, if she has a problem with lighting the flag at night, then I will pitch a fit and make her ass go out and retire the colors every night before she goes home.

"The flag should never be allowed to touch the ground and, if flown at night, must be illuminated. If the edges become tattered through wear, the flag should be repaired or replaced. When a flag is so tattered that can no longer serve as a symbol of the United States, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner, preferably by burning."

"The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing, unless it is the ensign responding to a salute from a ship of a foreign nation."

"Although the Flag Code is U.S. Federal law, there is no penalty for failure to comply with the Flag Code and it is not widely enforced"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the..._etiquette

/rant
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
people just don't understand the proper treatment of the flag. I have see tattered flags hanging outside buildings. I have even seen the POW MIA flag flying above the flag. I have seen people using a flag for uses that a flag would not be used as. (clothing, cape, etc...) I have seen people hanging the puerto rican flag above the US flag on things. and so on. People in general really do not understand the proper way to handle the flag at all. They do not understand the proper folding and storage of it. I have actually gotten in arguements with people trying to tell me that you should not burn a flag that is tattered you just throw it away.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Philly Mike Wrote:I have actually gotten in arguements with people trying to tell me that you should not burn a flag that is tattered you just throw it away.

I've been there as well. I try to explain to them that in regards to image, and what the flag stands for, it's better to burn the flag respectively than to let it sit in a landfill next to and old diaper and a half box of cereal.

Have you ever been to a burning ceremony? IT'S AWESOME! I was 15-16 when I participated in one and there was a script that was followed and read. Simply amazing
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Unfortunately this is the world we live in. It seems more and more people don't have respect for too much these days. I love the way we are headed technologically but I long for the "good ol' days".

Not to say I want to go back to a time where women and minorities were second class citizens but people caring for stuff again, neighbors helping neighbors, etc.

In the same regards as the flag a few other things that burn me are when people don't stand and take off their hats (men) for the Star Spangled Banner. Even if you aren't patriotic or are from another country at least show respect for us. If I was in another country and we had to stand for their national anthem I would stand as a sign of respect.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Jiggy Wrote:Even if you aren't patriotic or are from another country at least show respect for us. If I was in another country and we had to stand for their national anthem I would stand as a sign of respect.

You mean you don't sit down, cross your arms and scoff when they play the Canadian National Anthem at hockey games?

Canada is America's Top Hat, we should show a little respect! Wink
Can't say i have. I can imagine though. Must be a nice thing.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Anyone remember starting the day off by saying the Pledge of Allegiance ?

Growing up, the flag was almost as sacred as The Bible

When my grandfather died, his veterans flag was given to my uncle, who has promised to give it to me when he dies.
Wowie Groovie !
I would be honored to have either of my grandfathers flags, unfortunatly i'm one of the youngest grandkids on my Maternal Grandfather's (who served in WWII) side. My Paternal Grandfather that served (Vietnam) is actually my dad's stepfather and he has a son of his own so it's doubtful I'll get that one.

I would be so cool to display a uniform and flag.

Maybe I'll put in my will to get a full on Fire Fighters funeral, and make sure there is a flag for my wife or kids to get...
[Image: IwoJimaPainting.jpg]
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Mad Dog Wrote:http://www.medalofhonor.com/IwoJimaPainting.jpg

My wife is related to one of those soldiers...I think the one planting the bottom of the pole
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:I would be honored to have either of my grandfathers flags, unfortunatly i'm one of the youngest grandkids on my Maternal Grandfather's (who served in WWII) side. My Paternal Grandfather that served (Vietnam) is actually my dad's stepfather and he has a son of his own so it's doubtful I'll get that one.

I would be so cool to display a uniform and flag.

Maybe I'll put in my will to get a full on Fire Fighters funeral, and make sure there is a flag for my wife or kids to get...

I don't get the flag, but I do have all of my grandfathers service medals, including a purple heart.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
When we moved into our house I was delighted to find a flag inside the main coat closet. It's one of those ones that you often see mounted on the side of a house. My immediate excitement quickly gave way to dissapointment as I took it outside and realized there wasn't a mount for it.

Now that the weather is getting nice again, I can't wait to pick one up from the local hardware store.
zdunklee Wrote:I don't get the flag, but I do have all of my grandfathers service medals, including a purple heart.

I tried getting my grandpa's purple heart when he passed away last year, but my cousin got it instead, because my aunt is a whore. (no, I will not elaborate...)

Instead, I am going to have to settle for a tattoo, with the heart incorporated somehow.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
I'd tell you what the other ones were if I could remember. I believe there are 7 of them total, but they are in a box in a safe at my parents house until I have a house of my own. I don't want to transport them from apartment to apartment.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
wayyyy off subject but when I saw that photo of the soldiers planting the flag at Iwo Jima, I thought they were standing on top of a pile of bodies, and ramming the flag pole through the chest of a dead Japanese soldier
Wowie Groovie !