Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of an Era in Detroit Radio
So long, baaaby!

Arthur Penhallow, the deep-voiced DJ who has been a fixture at WRIF-FM (101.1) for 39 years, has parted ways with the station.

But the legendarily rowdy personality who helmed the afternoon drive at Detroit's signature rock station said Monday he's not ready for retirement just yet.

According to a WRIF press release Monday afternoon, the station said it was moving on without Penhallow, variously known as Arthur P, the Grand Poobah and Big Daddy. Along with being the station's most senior employee, Penhallow was a signature voice (and sometimes face) for WRIF's commercials and marketing promotions -- particularly the booming catchphrase baaaby!

Penhallow's reps and WRIF's management had been in negotiations for months, and last week on his Facebook page, Penhallow said his time at WRIF appeared to be over. But his lawyer told the Free Press on Friday that he was still holding out hope a contract could be reached.

"We are disappointed that we couldn't come to a contractual agreement with Arthur," said Greater Media market manager John Gallagher, who oversees WRIF. "He is obviously a legend in the market and his many years of service to the industry are deeply appreciated. He will be sorely missed."

Penhallow referred to his time at the station as "39 charmed years."

"I'm sad to be leaving, for sure," he added. "But I'm leaving with all my honor, dignity and integrity."

Dick Kernen, now vice president/industry relations for the Specs Howard School of Broadcast Arts, was program director at 101.1 when he hired the station's first on-air talent 39 years ago: Penhallow.

Kernen now calls him one of a dozen or so distinctive personalities in Detroit radio history, along with Dick Purtan and Jim Harper.

"He's one of those people you don't replace -- like J.P. McCarthy," said Kernen, referring to the legendary WJR-AM (760) broadcaster.

Kernen made particular note of Penhallow's authoritative and rumbling voice, saying its impact couldn't quite be pinpointed. "It's a very unique voice. All the things in this business that succeed contain 25% magic. You can't describe it. You can't replicate it. It just worked."

As for his future in radio, Penhallow said "by no means am I retiring. I'm ready to rock 'n' roll. Wherever that takes me, that's where I'm going -- hopefully in the great state of Michigan. I have no plans to leave Detroit."

The station said an announcement regarding Penhallow's successor could be coming soon. On-air personality Meltdown has been filling in and will continue to do so in the meantime.

Mike Novak, the attorney for Drew Lane -- the onetime WRIF morning host who has been off the air since 2007 -- confirmed last year that his client was interested in returning to the station if he could avoid the morning shift.

On Monday Novak said it's a possibility "Drew would consider an afternoon opportunity." But "there's nothing in the works," he added.
Just curious.... Is the FBHW show even heard in Detroit ?
Wowie Groovie !

oldsquid Wrote:So long, baaaby!

Arthur Penhallow, the deep-voiced DJ who has been a fixture at WRIF-FM (101.1) for 39 years, has parted ways with the station.

But the legendarily rowdy personality who helmed the afternoon drive at Detroit's signature rock station said Monday he's not ready for retirement just yet.

According to a WRIF press release Monday afternoon, the station said it was moving on without Penhallow, variously known as Arthur P, the Grand Poobah and Big Daddy. Along with being the station's most senior employee, Penhallow was a signature voice (and sometimes face) for WRIF's commercials and marketing promotions -- particularly the booming catchphrase baaaby!

Penhallow's reps and WRIF's management had been in negotiations for months, and last week on his Facebook page, Penhallow said his time at WRIF appeared to be over. But his lawyer told the Free Press on Friday that he was still holding out hope a contract could be reached.

"We are disappointed that we couldn't come to a contractual agreement with Arthur," said Greater Media market manager John Gallagher, who oversees WRIF. "He is obviously a legend in the market and his many years of service to the industry are deeply appreciated. He will be sorely missed."

"I'm sad to be leaving, for sure," he added. "But I'm leaving with all my honor, dignity and integrity."

Dick Kernen, now vice president/industry relations for the Specs Howard School of Broadcast Arts, was program director at 101.1 when he hired the station's first on-air talent 39 years ago: Penhallow.

Kernen now calls him one of a dozen or so distinctive personalities in Detroit radio history, along with Dick Purtan and Jim Harper.

"He's one of those people you don't replace -- like J.P. McCarthy," said Kernen, referring to the legendary WJR-AM (760) broadcaster.

Kernen made particular note of Penhallow's authoritative and rumbling voice, saying its impact couldn't quite be pinpointed. "It's a very unique voice. All the things in this business that succeed contain 25% magic. You can't describe it. You can't replicate it. It just worked."

As for his future in radio, Penhallow said "by no means am I retiring. I'm ready to rock 'n' roll. Wherever that takes me, that's where I'm going -- hopefully in the great state of Michigan. I have no plans to leave Detroit."

The station said an announcement regarding Penhallow's successor could be coming soon. On-air personality Meltdown has been filling in and will continue to do so in the meantime.

Mike Novak, the attorney for Drew Lane -- the onetime WRIF morning host who has been off the air since 2007 -- confirmed last year that his client was interested in returning to the station if he could avoid the morning shift.

On Monday Novak said it's a possibility "Drew would consider an afternoon opportunity." But "there's nothing in the works," he added.

Never heard of him. Undecided
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Titan ! Wrote:Just curious.... Is the FBHW show even heard in Detroit ?

No.

And since Joe's uncle left the morning show on the WRIF, there is no morning radio. This would be a good time for FBHW to look into that market. Which I'm sure they already are.
Mad Dog Wrote:
oldsquid Wrote:So long, baaaby!

Never heard of him. Undecided

Haven't you ever seen the bumper stickers that said "Baby!!!"?

[Image: baby.gif]

If you have, that's Arthur P's tag line.

Growing up in the Detroit Suburbs, the WRIF was what I listened to everyday. I used to work as a designer and listened from 5 am to 5 pm on my headphones. From Drew and Mike right through Arthur P. Damn, those were good days in radio.
airhornahole Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:Never heard of him. Undecided

Haven't you ever seen the bumper stickers that said "Baby!!!"?

[Image: baby.gif]

If you have, that's Arthur P's tag line.

Growing up in the Detroit Suburbs, the WRIF was what I listened to everyday. I used to work as a designer and listened from 5 am to 5 pm on my headphones. From Drew and Mike right through Arthur P. Damn, those were good days in radio.

Nope, never seen one.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
FYI...

Detroit still has morning radio that rocks. It used to be Drew and Mike and then Drew left. Now it is Mike in the Morning and it still is awesome. I don't think that FBHW will ever try and take on Detroit....it is kind-of a suicide mission with Mike still there.

Oh, and another FYI...Penhallow is who Zane interned with at that station.