Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global Warming
speedbump Wrote:
zdunklee Wrote:Anyone who still believes "global warming" after the Earth COOLED down this year is an idiot.

You don't know how "global warming" works, do you?

Make a thread, and there will be fisticuffs.

Ok boys. Who holds sway over the four points?? This fight will be held on good land!!! Remember no hitting of the face or genitals.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
What a bunch of chickens...
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Only you can stop MANBEARPIG.

[Image: Al-gore-as-manbearpig.jpg]

[Image: manbearpig1.jpg]
"I'm Super Serial"
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
OK. In my view there is always climate change. Whether or not humans exist, there WILL be climate change. Look at the climate of the Earth over the last Two Billion years and you will find it has been through wild swings, with out the aid of humans one way or another. The climate will change and it is up to us to adapt.

People who think that the life styles of humanity as a whole will be the end of us all are nothing but a bunch of Chicken Littles and busy bodies that want a road into having a political say over what our life styles are.
On the actual topic..

I'm of the opinion that global warming does exist, but that it is not entirely man's fault. We certainly didn't help the matter, but our contributions are not the root cause.

One of the things I find most interesting about global warming reports, is that they do not ever mention the suns affect on the temperature of earth. I remember reading an article (and no, I cannot link it as I don't have a link anymore) that explored the possibility that solar flares are helping to contribute to the increase in earths temperature.

Another article suggested that earths core was actually getting hotter as the magma and such that used to spew forth regularly has slowed way down and eruptions are few and far between and that this may also be a contributing factor.

Most of the articles (other than those that blame human beings for 100% of the reason) seem to point out that global warming goes in cycles and that we are overdue for another ice age (an end result of global warming and climate change).
What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.
Mad Dog Wrote:OK. In my view there is always climate change. Whether or not humans exist, there WILL be climate change. Look at the climate of the Earth over the last Two Billion years and you will find it has been through wild swings, with out the aid of humans one way or another. The climate will change and it is up to us to adapt.

People who think that the life styles of humanity as a whole will be the end of us all are nothing but a bunch of Chicken Littles and busy bodies that want a road into having a political say over what our life styles are.

I agree with you 175%. The earth goes through natural warming and cooling processes. Eventually it will reset itself.
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
I think it is pretty obvious that the Earth goes through cycles of warmth and cold. Volcano's go off and block out the sun and it gets cold. Continents move, collide, mountains rise and fall and the climate changes. Ocean currents stop and start and have devastating effects on the climate and whether or not the over all temperature of the earth cooler or warmer. Humans may have something to do with it but on a global scale but it is minimal. Nature itself is much more responsible for climate change than what humans are or are not doing.
WOW!!! This is one hellacious fight. You're all agreeing with each other.

I agree too, by the way.
We need Speed Bump, Doktor, and Ratrad Baaaaadd!!!
You guys are all idiots. Global warming is so real. We are all going to die for our discarded hamburger wrappers not properly disposed of.

Now if you'll excuse me there is a tree I have to go hug!
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Jiggy Wrote:You guys are all idiots. Global warming is so real. We are all going to die for our discarded hamburger wrappers not properly disposed of.

Please, don't you have some cardboard to recycle or something?? :'(
I do believe global warming is real and 100% of scientists that study the Earth will tell you the Earth is heating up a lot more than it has in the past, but none of them agree on what is causing it. Many factors such as the ones listed in previous posts can be the cause, what percentage of the total each one actually affects the change is really unknown however.

The Earth is currently at an average yearly temperature that is well above previous upswings, which is part of the reason for the concern in the first place.

As for how much we humans are causing I wouldn't be able to say, and I don't think anyone can truthfully say for sure, but doing things that will help reduce emissions and other greenhouse gasses and waste can't possibly be a bad thing either, as they do pollute, but I can't say the reasons we are reducing them are the correct reasons.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
Mad Dog Wrote:
Jiggy Wrote:You guys are all idiots. Global warming is so real. We are all going to die for our discarded hamburger wrappers not properly disposed of.

Please, don't you have some cardboard to recycle or something?? :'(

Save the whales!!
Go Green!!
Free Darfur...or something!!
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Jiggy Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:Please, don't you have some cardboard to recycle or something?? :'(

Go Green!!

It's nice to see you are rooting for Michigan State this weekend Jiggy. Tongue
zdunklee Wrote:
Jiggy Wrote:Go Green!!

It's nice to see you are rooting for Michigan State this weekend Jiggy. Tongue

Hell yeah, I'm rooting for them. If I didn't already have the Razorbacks I would probably be a State fan.
Krystal Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:OK. In my view there is always climate change. Whether or not humans exist, there WILL be climate change. Look at the climate of the Earth over the last Two Billion years and you will find it has been through wild swings, with out the aid of humans one way or another. The climate will change and it is up to us to adapt.

I agree with you 175%. The earth goes through natural warming and cooling processes. Eventually it will reset itself.

Sure will... maybe at the expense of the human race....
I basically agree with everything Penn and Teller said on their 'Bullshit' show about Global Warming and how it is bullshit that people are spreading the word like an epidemic trend to cash in on... however, I do think it is in our best interest to go greener, no matter if it helps stop Global Warming or not, it is always better to live in harmony with our environment as it really is the only planet out there that we can live on. I love people who say we can, in the future pack up all of our shit and move to a new planet... WTF?!?! The nearest GALAXY is LIGHTYEARS away and that galaxy won't necessarily have a planet that we can live on... which means that we would have to go even MORE lightyears to find a planet that MIGHT support life... (if you don't know what that means, look up LIGHTYEAR and realize that humans don't LIVE long enough to make it to a new Galaxy...)
It is so funny, because people are all about 'SAVE THE EARTH' when they don't realize that the earth doesn't need saving, it's great at saving itself... as a matter of fact it is what she does best is save herself; she gets too hot, she cools down... She gets to cold she heats up... and she doesn't give two shits if it kills all of the life on the planet to get herself back to equalibrium. As a matter of fact, it has happened before that almost all life has become extinct... and it happened because of excessive Co2 in the atmosphere (this was way before cars by the way...)
All I am saying is the people who have those 'Save the Humans' bumper stickers on their cars have the right idea... There has never ever in the history of earth been a species that has not become extinct, I don't know why humans think they are so special... then again there has never been another speicies on this planet with the knowledge that we have. Guess well just have to wait and see. Sorry, I just realized that I went off on a tangent...
Umm, I do not believe that the global warming is caused by humans, I think the earth cycles regardless of us little specks.

HOWEVER. I do believe that as a species, we trash the planet pretty good. A little bit of reducing reusing and recycling never hurt anyone and should be done by everyone. I hate driving next to a nice lake thinking how nice it looks, then getting closer to where I can see its shore and seeing all the trash and crap thats been dumped in the lake or left on the shore. I hate driving behind people smoking and they just throw their butts out the window.
Being green can save you money and make the planet (or atleast your area) cleaner.

How I'm green,
I have a vegetable garden, I compost kitchen scraps that are compostable. I recycle water bottles and plastic bags. I use the cloth bags when I go buy groceries. I am in the process of purchasing a rain barrel to catch rain water off my roof to water my gardens with. I don't litter, ever. I don't even spit my gum on the ground. I try to find ways to make my house more energy efficient.
When I go hiking or camping, I pick up trash I find and throw it away properly. I try to tell people about ways they can be cleaner/ greener.
I'm even getting a set up for reloading (green ammo!)
I just think that cleaning up after yourself is not a difficult thing to do. People need to not have the mentality that "its just one cigarette butt" "its just one piece of trash" because if 1000 people think that way then its actually 1000 cigarette butts and 1000 pieces of trash.
I'll let smarter people than me argue, and thus bucking the current trend of this thread:

http://scrippsco2.ucsd.edu/program_histo...ssons.html

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB1...70511.html

http://climatex.org/articles/climate-cha...te-change/
speedbump Wrote:I'll let smarter people than me argue, and thus bucking the current trend of this thread:

Nope. I don't want to read a bunch of Effen articles. What do you think? We have all articulated opinions and now you want to pussy out, and you are the cause of this thread. You big Green Weenie!! :'(
speedbump Wrote:I'll let smarter people than me argue, and thus bucking the current trend of this thread:

I already said the same things these articles are saying in much shorter form. Yes, co2 in the atmosphere has went up drastically in the last 100 years, but scientists do not all agree that it is only human caused. If fact in your third link this very statement is in the first paragraph.

Also not one of those links address the fact that the Earth cooled for the first time in 50 years without a La Nina or El Nino effect in 2008, which has no explanation that anyone has found yet.
zdunklee Wrote:

I already said the same things these articles are saying in much shorter form. Yes, co2 in the atmosphere has went up drastically in the last 100 years, but scientists do not all agree that it is only human caused. If fact in your third link this very statement is in the first paragraph.

Also not one of those links address the fact that the Earth cooled for the first time in 50 years without a La Nina or El Nino effect in 2008, which has no explanation that anyone has found yet.

Speedbump:

[drop]Oh, you just got butt-slammed![/drop]
zdunklee Wrote:

Quote what you're talking about, because before I address it I wanna make sure we're talking about the same thing. If we are, then you misread.
zdunklee Wrote:

I have heard a theory that says with the rising temps, it slows the gulf stream, which in turn cools the planet... Just throwin' that out there...
speedbump Wrote:
zdunklee Wrote:I already said the same things these articles are saying in much shorter form. Yes, co2 in the atmosphere has went up drastically in the last 100 years, but scientists do not all agree that it is only human caused. If fact in your third link this very statement is in the first paragraph.

Quote what you're talking about, because before I address it I wanna make sure we're talking about the same thing. If we are, then you misread.

You mean this paragraph from the third link you posted:

Climate change is an entirely natural process that occurs over a wide range of timescales, from a few years to hundreds of millions of years. The challenge faced by climate scientists is not so much detecting the changes in climate as attributing them to a specific cause - and importantly, making the distinction between natural climate variability and climate change which has been forced by human activity. The following article offers a starting point for an understanding of an incredibly complex process. Read the
Quote:Climate change is an entirely natural process that occurs over a wide range of timescales, from a few years to hundreds of millions of years. The challenge faced by climate scientists is not so much detecting the changes in climate as attributing them to a specific cause - and importantly, making the distinction between natural climate variability and climate change which has been forced by human activity.

This is almost exactly what I said. The difference is they go on to castigate human activity, like good Tree Huggers. Don't get me wrong I like trees, I don't want them all cut down, but enough to supply the world with its wood needs are ok. I don't want company's spewing out radio active waste or deadly toxins in to the environment, but I'm not against nuclear power plants or new chemicals either.

See here's the deal.... Speedbump and those like him want all of us to be forced to live like him and his crowd, they resent us for not reacting to his "Sky is falling"mentality. Speedbump is convinced the world is going to end if we don't do something NOW. And he will wait..... and wait..... Just like Religious folk are waiting for Jesus to return....
Mad Dog Wrote:
Quote:Climate change is an entirely natural process that occurs over a wide range of timescales, from a few years to hundreds of millions of years. The challenge faced by climate scientists is not so much detecting the changes in climate as attributing them to a specific cause - and importantly, making the distinction between natural climate variability and climate change which has been forced by human activity.

This is almost exactly what I said. The difference is they go on to castigate human activity, like good Tree Huggers. Don't get me wrong I like trees, I don't want them all cut down, but enough to supply the world with its wood needs are ok. I don't want company's spewing out radio active waste or deadly toxins in to the environment, but I'm not against nuclear power plants or new chemicals either.

See here's the deal.... Speedbump and those like him want all of us to be forced to live like him and his crowd, they resent us for not reacting to his "Sky is falling"mentality. Speedbump is convinced the world is going to end if we don't do something NOW. And he will wait..... and wait..... Just like Religious folk are waiting for Jesus to return....

Yea, that paragraph is where a lot of people who study climate change disagree. That website attributes it to 90% human caused, I have seen everywhere from 10% to 99% human caused and it depends on how they did their report. Until they can somehow come up with a number everyone agrees on this issue will not be solved, because the only true scientific facts are those that can be replicated by every other scientist who wishes to do them and this is not the case as of yet with how much we have caused global warming.