Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant"
Listening to the guys discuss the topic of unexpected pregnancies (without even having watched the show yet) really revealed a new side of them to me. I expect Zane to be somewhat ignorant, Free Beer to be on the moderate side, and I rely on Hot Wings for the rational, logical opinion. It's usually what makes them work.

But with this particular topic, I found all three of their opinions incredibly ignorant of the facts behind pregnancy. They approached this topic with such a closed mind, and exited the discussion having come to the conclusion that the only women who could not know they're pregnant are stupid whores with drinking problems.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. I also used to think that this phenomenon was completely impossible. I had always thought that every pregnancy resulted in significant weight gain, a bulging belly, absence of any menstruation, and crazy 3 a.m. cravings for pretzels and ice cream. This couldn't be further from the reality of pregnancy.

The truth is, every pregnancy is different. If the guys had waited until AFTER they watched the show to criticize it, they might have been surprised to find out that some women gain very little weight, or that depending on where the baby is positioned, the mom might not feel the baby kicking. They also might have understood that sometimes "spotting" can occur during pregnancy, and if pregnancy isn't on mom's radar, she is going to mistake it for her monthly visitor.

The show very clearly addressed the fact that the women were not completely asymptomatic. To the contrary, many of the typical symptoms were very present, but could easily be attributed to other things. One woman's pregnancy presented with swollen feet and legs, but she'd recently started a new job where she was on her feet more than previously. Another experienced weight gain, but she had changed jobs and was around food more often, and attributed her gain to picking at food throughout the day. Yet another was on the pill, but the effectiveness of the pill had been compromised by her having to take antibiotics before going to the dentist, because she has a heart condition. A fourth woman woke up in labor, but thought she had a deep vein thrombosis, because a friend of hers had just recently had a blood clot and that's what her mind was focused on. Another took multiple pregnancy tests, but because she'd taken them too early (yes, there is such a thing), the test didn't detect the pregnancy and resulted in a false negative. The show also showed photos of a few of the women just a month or two before they delivered, and they weren't at all "showing".

The fact remains that no pregnancy is typical. No human body is typical. Pregnant women don't always wake up their husband at 2:45 in the morning, in the middle of a blizzard, to go get them fried chicken with chocolate sauce on top. Some women are naturally irregular, so a missed period isn't going to stand out to them. When all of the stars align just right, a pregnancy can be easily missed.

The myth of the "typical" pregnancy will not help this phenomenon, because as long as the myth is perpetuated, women will continue to believe that because they're not experiencing the signs of the "typical" pregnancy, they can't possibly be pregnant. Because of discussions like the ones had on the radio show yesterday, several mothers and babies will not receive the pre-natal care that they require, and some, as the Discovery Health show illustrated, will sadly die.

Or maybe it's just dumb fat chicks.
I know my cousin kept her pregnancy from my uncle (she was 17 at the time) until very late in because she wasn't showing. And she was a super-skinny girl (still is, for that matter)... The only time I have heard of someone "not knowing" they were pregnant were teen mothers, afraid of the consequences. But I do agree with Zester because all bodies are different. Some people don't show any outward signs of pregnancy that aren't far removed from the signs of PMS (bloating, cravings, mostly chocolate, aches and pains, swinging emotions).

The thing that gets me is, I don't understand how, if someone misses a day on their birth control, they get pregnant. You can't get pregnant until your body is able to ovulate again, because you have to drop an egg in order to fertilize it. I just need someone to explain that one to me...
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
It depends when the pill is missed. Sperm can stay in there for up to five days waiting for some egg drop soup, so it's not out of the question that those days just lined up right.
Gynocology is Zester's passion.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
maddogjls74 Wrote:Gynocology is Zester's passion.

i wouldn't say passion, I would just say he diddles er uh dabbles a little
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
I saw one of those shows once. I remember there was a woman pregnant with twins and didn't know it because she was so heavy to begin with that she didn't have periods. She had been told by doctors that she was infertile so pregnancy never crossed her mind. Then she gave birth to twins on the toilet. Wow.

There was also a girl I went to high school with who supposedly didn't know she was pregnant until seven months in. She was a big girl so she didn't show at all, and she played a full season of basketball while pregnant. I personally believe she did know it but couldn't face it.

I do believe that some women are stupid and/or in denial, but there are also certain circumstances where it would be reasonable to not know she's pregnant.
That's what she said.
hotzester Wrote:I found all three of their opinions incredibly ignorant of the facts behind pregnancy. ....
I also used to think that this phenomenon was completely impossible.

Well, maybe they can be educated like you were.
... Confusedhock: :wtf:

wow for some reason i think zester kind of went against the main rule of the show and took the opinion of the guys on the show waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too seriously.

Getting this upset to basically write a blog post in this thread... yeah you kinda got a little too serious here. It is just as bad as complaining that they talk more crap about one political party than the other. or getting upset because they interviewed someone who talked bad about wicca in reference to the harry potter thing.

I didn't hear the conversation today, but seriously the women on that show for the most part should have known. I have to say I can understand probably about 1 of the women out of the ones i have seen in that show not knowing. the others must have been mildly retarded or just stupid.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/nw_...ough_labor
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
"My crack hurts!"

OMFG I can't stop laughing....
I'm.......kind of a big deal. People know me.
Quote:... Confusedhock: :wtf:

wow for some reason i think zester kind of went against the main rule of the show and took the opinion of the guys on the show waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too seriously.

Getting this upset to basically write a blog post in this thread... yeah you kinda got a little too serious here. It is just as bad as complaining that they talk more crap about one political party than the other. or getting upset because they interviewed someone who talked bad about wicca in reference to the harry potter thing.

I didn't hear the conversation today, but seriously the women on that show for the most part should have known. I have to say I can understand probably about 1 of the women out of the ones i have seen in that show not knowing. the others must have been mildly retarded or just stupid.

I'm a little confused, Mike. Was it the medical fact I presented, the conclusion drawn from that fact, or the just the number of words I used to express them that you disagreed with?

Hard to believe I've lost interest in the forums lately.
Your nickname should be Buzz Killington.
hotzester Wrote:I'm a little confused, Mike. Was it the medical fact I presented, the conclusion drawn from that fact, or the just the number of words I used to express them that you disagreed with?

Hard to believe I've lost interest in the forums lately.
once again man, you are taking this more serious than you should.

you are actually getting worked up about women who don't know they are pregnant and people stating they are stupid for not knowing that.

This would make you lose interest in the board??? really? Of all the people on the board I would figure you are the one that would actually have the thick skin, especially since you are the one that talks about how you enjoy to just get people riled up.
If you dish it you should be able to take it.
Does anyone know when will this portion of Friday's show be replayed? This was the funniest part of any show, EVER.
i would like to hear it, i completely missed it.
They're going to air it on Tuesday morning early in the show if it fits in the schedule.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I cannot wait....is there a way to get this clip without subscribing to the podcast?
You should just subscribe, your only regret will be that you didn't do it sooner.
Amateur Anti Spite Board Enthusiast
No, no...Mike, this wasn't the one thread that has led to a loss of interest. It's just an example of many discussions that are guiding me that direction. Honestly, I think the show is changing, which doesn't help. The boards are only part of the issue.

I love when people disagree with me, but for the right reasons. Bring valid counterpoints. I'll disagree with you, but I'll respect ya for it. lol
hotzester Wrote:No, no...Mike, this wasn't the one thread that has led to a loss of interest. It's just an example of many discussions that are guiding me that direction. Honestly, I think the show is changing, which doesn't help. The boards are only part of the issue.

I love when people disagree with me, but for the right reasons. Bring valid counterpoints. I'll disagree with you, but I'll respect ya for it. lol

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
Hurley Wrote:
hotzester Wrote:No, no...Mike, this wasn't the one thread that has led to a loss of interest. It's just an example of many discussions that are guiding me that direction. Honestly, I think the show is changing, which doesn't help. The boards are only part of the issue.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Ouch. Well on the bright side, Zester, the 911 call they played showed that even really smart people can not realize they are pregnant.
Amateur Anti Spite Board Enthusiast
Quote:Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Speaking of intelligent counterpoints....
n8er Wrote:I cannot wait....is there a way to get this clip without subscribing to the podcast?

The link up on Rock Monster's post, a few back, will take you to the WOOD TV website, which appears to have audio of the 911 call. Obviously it doesn't have the audio from the guys on the show, but the 911 audio in and of itself is worth a listen.
I wasn't interested in listening to another 911 call until they started obliterating the guy with insults. That was awesome.

THEN the guy's cousin calls into the show and it got about 30 times more hilarious. I haven't laughed that hard at their antics in a long, long time. The guys were in rare form on Friday and it was awesome.

Well first off, I didn't really go against what you said I was just speaking an observation because I have actually watched the show and fully understand these facts. The main point I was trying to make is the fact that you took what they said to the point in which you were speaking as if offended because of this little line.
Quote: I found all three of their opinions incredibly ignorant of the facts behind pregnancy. They approached this topic with such a closed mind, and exited the discussion having come to the conclusion that the only women who could not know they're pregnant are stupid whores with drinking problems.
you took what they talk about on the show and went way serious about it. they talk out of there asses about 90 percent of the time and they know it.
the only other point I was stating is that no matter what symptoms you actually do show in pregnancy(women have at least a couple) there are some that you should see a doctor for no matter what for your own health. This is what I did notice from that show, these women have symptoms that should raise a slight concern and they should possibly pay a visit to their doctor. Probably 1 woman out of the entire season of the show that my wife watched of that could reasonably not have any of those red lights.I would chalk most of the women featured on that show. As far as the doctors go, you can get a doctor that strongly believes in something to state facts, and you can get just as many doctors to state opposing facts because they have their own supporting facts. Regardless, the show is stupid I could care less about any of these women, hell I didn't even want to start any kind of exchange about the show, all I wanted to do was point out the fact that you took the talk of the show members a little too personally and made what can be comparable to a blog post to start this thread.

If you are that tired of the board then so be it, that is your choice. Anything anyone else or myself can say would probably not sway you, nor does it matter, you are a grown boy you can make your own decisions. The board really doesn't seem that much different than it was before to me. Like I said somewhere here before, if you feel that nothing interesting is being posted or the conversations are just boring, you have the power to speak and try to start conversation that you would deem to be better, but instead you just sit here and state that things have changed too much and you are not liking it.
They were just joking the show is not serious news show. um hence the slogan "funny name funnier show " come on people lighten up a little bit. :o :mrgreen:
I'm so glad they finally got it that she's saying "crotch" and not "crack". I laugh every time I hear that line but at first I was yelling at my radio, "she said crotch not crack!" while laughing like a lunatic.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
still sounds like crack to me, but I still hear Douche in that soung where it is supposedly Duece