Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Draft
NFL Draft thread. Who will your team tak? Who should your team take? Or are you a Lions fan, and don't really care?

Being a Lions fan, I don't really care. I did read an interesting article the other day though. The articls suggested that if the Lions want a QB, they should not draft, and forfeit the 1st overall pick. Keep doing this, and eiter take Stafford at #3, who should still be there, or take Sanchez at #7, who also should still be there. That way they get the guy they want, but don't have to pay him the money of a #1 overall pick.
I don't know if it is a good idea, but it sure is an interesting viewpoint.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Can they actually do that? I thought if you didn't make your pick in the alloted time then you simply lose your pick. I don't think they can actually just pass the pick down if they so choose or I think that would have already been happening a lot before now.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
There's no penalty. The Vikes did it a few years back (not on purpose) Here's a link to the article:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/200...e_all.html
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
It's legal, and it's a horrible idea. Do you really want to do that to someone who's supposed to be face of your franchise? If that were to happen, you know the player's agent would stall and have the kid hold out until he got #1 pick overall money. Chances are the player would be looking for the first chance to get out of dodge, and possibly try to force a trade a la Eli Manning when he got drafted by San Diego. I just don't think it's a good idea to mess with someone who's going to be the face of the rebuilding effort.

I'm hoping the Lions pick Jason Smith (OT from Baylor) or Eugene Monroe (OT from Virginia) with the #1. It all starts up front. At #20, I'd like to see them take a LB.. Maluaga, Cushing, Matthews or Laurenitis could all make a difference early on. Or, and flame away for this, if Jeremy Maclin or Percy Harvin (WR's from Missouri and Florida) are available.. I think you have to consider them. Or maybe even Alex Mack (C from Cal), or Brandon Pettigrew (TE from Oklahoma State). The Lions have so many holes that unless they take someone really questionable, they almost can't go wrong. Hopefully Millen-type drafting is behind us.

For my Steelers, I'd like to see them pick up William Beatty (OT from UConn), Alphonso Smith (DB from Wake Forest), Darius Butler (DB from UConn) or Alex Mack (OL from Cal) in the first round. They really need help on the OL and in the secondary.
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
I'm just getting ready to mourn the career of whomever the Lions draft because you know that he'll most likely suffer a career-ending injury in the first game of the year if he even makes it that far.

But hey, we've got a (slightly) new logo!
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
It looks like the fans on detroitlions.com want them to draft LB Curry (37%), then OT Smith (25%), then Stafford (23%).

I guess this means we are getting a QB in the draft.
Vikes for percy harvin he is going to be good which lions everybody else in NFC North will be screwed again when they play us
like the idea of percy. hope his is still there for the taking...then again we do have a winner of a coach
pants on the ground! pants on the ground!
yeah if he has anything to do we will probaly draft o line men or something thats stupid that we dont need.
I say the Lions abstain from the draft. They might as well just pick up a bunch of undrafted talent as they won't have to pay the money and will probably get the same result. I'm not cynical, just saying is all.
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
Curry seems like a no-brainer to me....

Curry says he’d take less money as Lions’ No. 1 pick

On my Sirius radio show Tuesday, Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry told me he would do a pre-draft deal with the Lions for less than the $57.5 million ($30 million guaranteed) that Jake Long received from the Dolphins as the No. 1 overall draft pick last year.

All right, Detroit, you want a pre-draft deal? You got one!

Curry told me he could visualize himself lining up with Julian Peterson and Ernie Sims and getting after opposing teams. Curry also said he would feel very comfortable in the middle running that defense. As Curry described how he is exchanging text messages with Lions general manager Martin Mayhew, all I kept thinking about was how the Bears built their team around LB Brian Urlacher.

I still think the Lions will take Georgia QB Matthew Stafford with the No. 1 pick Saturday, but there will be pressure to strike a pre-draft deal now that one top-three pick is on record saying he’ll do it.

– Pat Kirwan
I have full faith that the Lions can screw up any decision they make.
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
Rumors on mlive are that they are negotiating a deal with Stafford, the only top 3 guy they don't need...
I believe that if they really want to build a team, you can't take a QB. If you just want to sell seats for next year, which is what I think Ford wants, then you take Stafford.
I take that back, it was on ESPN... looks like Stafford it will be, I would have bought tickets to at least one game had they made a good pick, but with yet another QB there is no reason to waste my money watching them lose.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4090413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/n ... id=4090413</a><!-- m -->
It doesn't mean that they will draft him. They are just finding out how much it would cost them if they did draft him. They already have a deal in place with Curry.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/source_matthew_staffords_agent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... agent.html</a><!-- m -->
Uh, well time for a new team... Go Bears??? :thumbdown: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbdown:
This is a featured comment on the front page of ESPN.com

"Do you realize the No. 1 pick in 2020 will be on pace to receive $100 million guaranteed! "

In 2020 I will be close to 40.

.....I hate youth.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Well that was quick!

[Image: staffordo.png]
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
-Jiggy- Wrote:Well that was quick!

[Image: staffordo.png]

Worst draft choices ever...3 picks and no OL or MLB....when Laurenitis and Maualouga were on the board... eff the Lions...
Yay, another year of crap in Hawaii blue. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
i like what my vikings did... percy harvin with our #1 pick. we still need a quality QB. i have no idea what the hell sage or Tjack can ever do for us.
life savers candy only really work if you have diabetes
imatoolhed46n2//imatoolhed dudeguy
TOYKO!! R.I.P. the alien gus
not sure either qb can do much, but chili is convinced we are set at that position, so we just gotta hope one of them can throw the ball.
So why did the Lions draft a back up tight-end as there last pick? I don't get it :crazy:
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Why did the lions draft half the players they drafted? I like Petitgrew at TE, but they really didn't get anyone else that I can even see as useful this season, if ever in a Lions uniform. The OLB's and the FS are ok, but not great and they didn't even pick a MLB so now they have to move someone to that spot becuase they don't have any.
Maybe they're hoping some free agents will fill those immediate needs. :think:
At least the lions filled the most pressing needs first, like securing up the O-line before getting a QB... oh wait...

At least they filled the positions that they have no one to play, like MLB.... oh wait....

well, at least they went with the safer pick who was willing to take less money, and didn't over pay for one of the biggest (if not the biggest) risks in the draft... oh wait.....

Son of a B!!!!

Welcome to Detroit Joey Stafford!!

:thumbdown:
Rock Monster Wrote:At least the lions filled the most pressing needs first, like securing up the O-line before getting a QB... oh wait...

At least they filled the positions that they have no one to play, like MLB.... oh wait....

well, at least they went with the safer pick who was willing to take less money, and didn't over pay for one of the biggest (if not the biggest) risks in the draft... oh wait.....

Son of a B!!!!

Welcome to Detroit Joey Stafford!!

:thumbdown:

Yeah, I couldn't have summed that up any better, bravo to you RM.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLTQWeItII[/youtube]
Number 8: "If I win one game this year I'll be a hero!" Yep, that kind of sums it up. :lol: :clap:
I think once the Vikes bring in Favre they will be set
If he can throw the ball half as well as he tells Lions jokes we're Super Bowl bound
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
zdunklee Wrote:Uh, well time for a new team... Go Bears??? :thumbdown: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbdown:
Come on over, there's plenty of room. The food/beer is better too.
I'm.......kind of a big deal. People know me.
plumpenut Wrote:I think once the Vikes bring in Favre they will be set
Dear God,

Please let this happen.

- A Bears Fan
wait...so you think you are set because you have cutler?? once he hears a fan boo he will be off pouting and begging to get out of there :lol:
plumpenut Wrote:wait...so you think you are set because you have cutler?? once he hears a fan boo he will be off pouting and begging to get out of there :lol:
Where exactly did I say or insinuate I believe we are set? Far from it. My post was to indicate I feel that the Bears chances of winning against the Vikequeens would increase exponentially if Brett "The INT Machine" Farve was wearing that effeminate purple jersey.
yeah it won't happen anyway. but I guess if they don't have him at qb then they will just hand it off to peterson
plumpenut Wrote:yeah it won't happen anyway. but I guess if they don't have him at qb then they will just hand it off to peterson
I submit you're better off....