Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
george carlin
does anyone find george carlin funny? sorry that he died and all but i though his comedy wasn't funny.
He was a brilliant wordsmith, though he wasn't for everyone. You've got to be the kind of person who finds intelligent, observational humor funny. If you're into fart jokes, you're probably not going to find Mr. Carlin funny.

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck."
Wow...his comedy with the violin playing over actually sounds sad
this is the first time i have heard the difference between baseball and football, and i don't find it funny at all.
hotzester Wrote:He was a brilliant wordsmith, though he wasn't for everyone. You've got to be the kind of person who finds intelligent, observational humor funny. If you're into fart jokes, you're probably not going to find Mr. Carlin funny.

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck."

actually i find his stuff too simple. His baseball / football bit is just dumb.
"baseball is played in the spring"........what's funny about that.
turf Wrote:this is the first time i have heard the difference between baseball and football, and i don't find it funny at all.

same here
I think he's kind of funny. Back when he would just go off on a subject he could get me laughing pretty hard.

Unfortunately his funniest bits will never get played on the radio.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
hotzester Wrote:He was a brilliant wordsmith, though he wasn't for everyone. You've got to be the kind of person who finds intelligent, observational humor funny. If you're into fart jokes, you're probably not going to find Mr. Carlin funny.

Whatever.

I don't find fart jokes funny at all, and I think Carlin is highly overrated. His early stuff, like the stuff they are playing today.....frankly it sucks. His later stuff was more a pissed off old man spouting why he hates everything. Some of his later stuff was entertaining, I don't mean to say he totally sucked, but I found his observations to be highly simplistic; meaning it didn't take a genius to observe all the crap he did because anyone WITH intelligence already observed it.
That's what made him genius. He observed things that we all saw every day, but never paid attention to. We all know there are certain words you can't say on the radio, for example. But George Carlin was the one that looked closer and said "Wait a second, so you can say 'pissed off' but you can't say 'pissed on'?" He took things that we all just accepted (the pilot in command of an airliner, for instance) and explored it just a bit further. ("Who made this man a captain?")

Anyone can observe - he took his observations and explored.

EDIT:

Quote:actually i find his stuff too simple. His baseball / football bit is just dumb.
"baseball is played in the spring"........what's funny about that.

You're taking one line out of that entire bit, and using it as an example of the bit itself. What you've done is essentially taken the words "I'm Free Beer" and asked why the FBHW show is funny.

The rest of that bit is examining the differences between baseball and football, and he's found a way, using language, to make football sound like a brutal, life or death game, and baseball sound like a bunch of children playing grabass in the park.

OBVIOUSLY baseball and football are different. Carlin took it further.
residentialevil Wrote:Whatever.

I don't find fart jokes funny at all, and I think Carlin is highly overrated. His early stuff, like the stuff they are playing today.....frankly it sucks. His later stuff was more a pissed off old man spouting why he hates everything. Some of his later stuff was entertaining, I don't mean to say he totally sucked, but I found his observations to be highly simplistic; meaning it didn't take a genius to observe all the crap he did because anyone WITH intelligence already observed it.

Simplistic? So, who do you consider a good comic? I've been a Carlin fan since I was about 10 years old, and over the years I have found him to be nothing short of brilliant. Funny, cranky, thought-provoking. He was a giant of modern comedy.
hotzester Wrote:That's what made him genius. He observed things that we all saw every day, but never paid attention to. We all know there are certain words you can't say on the radio, for example. But George Carlin was the one that looked closer and said "Wait a second, so you can say 'pissed off' but you can't say 'pissed on'?" He took things that we all just accepted (the pilot in command of an airliner, for instance) and explored it just a bit further. ("Who made this man a captain?")

Anyone can observe - he took his observations and explored.

His airline bit was brilliant.

'Please check your immediate seating area for any items you might have brought on board'
'I might have brought my arrowhead collection aboard.....I didn't, so there's not much reason for me to look for it.'
yeah you are all right...someone saying baseball is played in the spring and football is played in the fall is hilarious.
EnormousGenitals, once I get my exalt/smite back, you sir will get an exalt for "getting it".
hotzester Wrote:EnormousGenitals, once I get my exalt/smite back, you sir will get an exalt for "getting it".

I just gave you an exalt. Anyone who knows the Carlin genius deserves an exalt.
Wow.....is it getting a little "elite a-hole" in here?

Hate to break it to you, but just because someone doesn't like Carlin doesn't mean they don't "get" it. That's about the lamest and most cliched thing when it comes to situations like this. The kneejerk reaction is to someone not liking something is "oh.....well you obviously you don't 'get it'".

I get it. I didn't like it nearly as much as you did. That's it.
No, no...I'm not saying you didn't get it, RE. What I'm saying is that there's more to his humor than just taking his words at face value. That's what made Carlin the icon he had become - he made you read between the lines. You had to think. You had to work at it. It's not everyone's cup o' tea.

This isn't to say you CAN'T, just that some people don't want to have to do that to get a laugh.
I'll agree to that. And I hate people like that.

I take back the "elite a-hole" thing. Smile
I'm not trying to be an elitist a-hole at all. But some things, I think, aren't really a matter of opinion: Stevie Ray Vaughan was a great guitar player; Mark Twain was a great writer, etc. George Carlin has been one of this nation's most beloved comics for nearly half a century. I can dig that some one may not think he's their favorite, there are plenty of comics I don't like (I can't stand Robin Williams). But, I don't think it can be denied that he will be remember among Cosby, Pryor, Newhart, and others as one of the greats....
I liked his earlier stuff but about 15 years ago he turned into a rage-aholic and it was brutal to listen to. If I wanted to listen to angry guy bitching for an hour then I'd just head to my local AMVETS hall and buy a beer for the guy sitting all by himself.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I thought he was brilliant and a legend in the field of comedy. Just my opinion.
Carlin got paid to bitch, while the guy at the AMVETS hall paid to do it.
He performed at my college last year and he was great. I'm really glad I got to see him live and in such an intimate setting.
That's what she said.
I didn
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
I liked him. always made me laugh when he was ranting because most of it was so true. I'm glad I saw him when I did..about 3 years ago fresh out of rehab & he sure did have a lot to rant about
[quote="wienerpoopie"]I didn
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
To the reference in the original thread (which is now locked) that inferred you need to agree with Carlin's politics to like him - that's not true in my case.

His perspectives were quite liberal, and I'm pretty conservative, and I loved him.
George Carlin killed Will Smith