Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has this show gone downhill recently?
I haven't posted in ages, and I am surprised at just how little activity this board has. I remember it being so much more active than this, but I suppose that is how message boards often go.

I've been podcasting for a while and find myself starting to listen less and less. The reasons for that are various, but include:

- The elimination of NTT. I have seen it has been brought up here and beaten to death, but eliminating a segment that is such a fan favorite and that people look forward to seems like a mistake. I would bet there are a lot of people here who, like myself, looked forward to that segment each week.

- The elimination of STS. While probably not as universally loved as NTT, I would bet that Stump the Show was at least regarded as entertaining for most people here. It's a segment I usually looked forward to on my podcast, because of the interaction the guys would have with the listeners (often negative), and because it was somewhat fun to try and answer the trivia questions. When they stopped doing it after the one bad day they had, it seemed awfully contrived that they would make that decision based on just one day. I'm sure they wanted an excuse to get rid of it, and found the chance when listeners asked nothing but minutia questions.

- The introduction of new segments like "Stephen Hawking Sings" and "Paired With an Idiot". They're both giant snoozefests and from what I've read here so far, it seems like I'm not alone here. The Stephen Hawking bit may be the worst I've heard yet, as it is neither funny nor entertaining in the least. Paired With an Idiot is a snoozer too, after all, how many people want to listen to the 100,000 dollar pyramid on the radio?

- They need to reign in Zane a little bit when he becomes a bit too stuck on something. For instance, if anybody listened to the segment about how songs can cause heart problems, how many times in a row did they play that "Christmas Conga" song? Was there anybody who wasn't thinking "move it along already"? Or today, where Zane consistantly was using "duck" instead of the explitive in the last bit about the prostitute in Iowa. It derailed it to the point where FB basically had to cut it short and go to break. I would find it hard to believe anybody found using "duck" for 2 minutes instead of a swear word was really that humorous. I don't think this used to be as much of a problem but I notice it more.

So anyhow, I realize that most people will react angrily and tell me to stop listening if I don't like it, which I may. I've been a loyal listener since nearly day 1 here in Nashville and find the show is less entertaining now than it ever has been. Unlike others, I don't blame the syndicator really, I think there have been poor choices made and would hope they could listen to their fanbase more.

That said, what's your opinion? Has it become less interesting lately and what's to blame?
I think once you make your mind up to become disinterested in something, it doesn't matter what actually happens. What's done is done and you don't see any need in going back. Try to get the stigmata out of your head about NTT and STT. Those segments were once a week and took less than 15 minutes each. In the scope of the show, they are extremely minute contributions. That having been said, IMO I think the show has been pretty awesome and quite hilarious lately. They go through dull spots here and there, but nothing bad enough to make me change the channel.

Well, there's my .02, for what it's worth.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
[Image: troll-web.jpg]
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Queenie, I like your .02

There are times when they have spots that are unliked by me, like the euthinasia bit this morning that seemed to drag on forever. But when it was brought up by a listener that they were the "Debbie downer" of the weekend, they did the silly Friday intro song bit, and made me laugh.

Honestly, they are one of the more enjoyable things about my drive to work. Especially when I'm stuck in traffic for an hour and a half like this morning.

As far as this message board goes, I find it being pretty busy. I've met a lot of cool people here that outside of FB&HW I probably would have never crossed paths with.
I have a job and don't always have time to post stuff (especially Mondays) and from what I've learned of other people that post here, they have pretty busy lives themselves. If you want to see more posts on the board, Mr. 11 post having guy, then type a few up yourself. Big Grin

BTW your excrutiatingly long post above only counts as one, but thank you for breaking it up neatly. :thumbup:
nodak1979 Wrote:I haven't posted in ages, and I am surprised at just how little activity this board has. I remember it being so much more active than this, but I suppose that is how message boards often go.

I've been podcasting for a while and find myself starting to listen less and less. The reasons for that are various, but include:

- The elimination of NTT. I have seen it has been brought up here and beaten to death, but eliminating a segment that is such a fan favorite and that people look forward to seems like a mistake. I would bet there are a lot of people here who, like myself, looked forward to that segment each week.

- The elimination of STS. While probably not as universally loved as NTT, I would bet that Stump the Show was at least regarded as entertaining for most people here. It's a segment I usually looked forward to on my podcast, because of the interaction the guys would have with the listeners (often negative), and because it was somewhat fun to try and answer the trivia questions. When they stopped doing it after the one bad day they had, it seemed awfully contrived that they would make that decision based on just one day. I'm sure they wanted an excuse to get rid of it, and found the chance when listeners asked nothing but minutia questions.
yes NTT and STS were good segments and i personally loved them so i agree with this.

nodak1979 Wrote:- The introduction of new segments like "Stephen Hawking Sings" and "Paired With an Idiot". They're both giant snoozefests and from what I've read here so far, it seems like I'm not alone here. The Stephen Hawking bit may be the worst I've heard yet, as it is neither funny nor entertaining in the least. Paired With an Idiot is a snoozer too, after all, how many people want to listen to the 100,000 dollar pyramid on the radio?
Stephen Hawking sings, pretty good, I am sure they can get some fun out of it. Paired with an idiot... ?? last time i checked this was a classic, they have gotten plenty of great moments from this game and i am happy it is here again.
nodak1979 Wrote:- They need to reign in Zane a little bit when he becomes a bit too stuck on something. For instance, if anybody listened to the segment about how songs can cause heart problems, how many times in a row did they play that "Christmas Conga" song? Was there anybody who wasn't thinking "move it along already"? Or today, where Zane consistantly was using "duck" instead of the explitive in the last bit about the prostitute in Iowa. It derailed it to the point where FB basically had to cut it short and go to break. I would find it hard to believe anybody found using "duck" for 2 minutes instead of a swear word was really that humorous. I don't think this used to be as much of a problem but I notice it more.
??? hmmm.... ?? you have listened since they started in TN???? and you are just noticing this??? This has always been the nature of the show. The reason they do it is because if they let zane go enough he usually pulls one of his "toothpick" moments. This is and probably will always be what happens with zane, he has a slight thing with obsession over some things... especially minor league hockey players...

nodak1979 Wrote:So anyhow, I realize that most people will react angrily and tell me to stop listening if I don't like it, which I may. I've been a loyal listener since nearly day 1 here in Nashville and find the show is less entertaining now than it ever has been. Unlike others, I don't blame the syndicator really, I think there have been poor choices made and would hope they could listen to their fanbase more.

That said, what's your opinion? Has it become less interesting lately and what's to blame?
ummm... yeah stop listening if you don't like it, i don't think there is a gun to your head. This show has stayed pretty loyal to the feel they have always had, the only difference is they change segments around, but then again they have always moved segments and switched and things like that from the beginning. That is just the nature of the beast.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Show seems fine. Ditching NTT and STS weren't my favorite thing in the world, and SHS hasn't won me over yet, but I wouldn't say they've ruined the show.

Zane going off on tangents has always been part of the show, and has always made me laugh. Especially when he went nuts with the crappy music earlier this week.

Overall I'd say the show is jsut as enjoyable as always.
I like the ebb and flow of the show. It makes them seem more genuine and down to earth. That's a major draw, for me at least.
except for that announcer guy (still can't get used to him) I think the show is fine
pants on the ground! pants on the ground!
I think the show is still just as funny as ever, sure some things are hit and miss, but that's no different from how its ever been. If you aren't used to Zane going overboard on certain jokes, then you've never listened, because he does that all the time. Sometimes it hits, sometimes its a dud. But when it leads to some other hilarity, that's when the show is at its best.

Still sad NTT is gone, but life moves on. I wasn't upset that STS got canned, it was getting to the point where the beat ups weren't fun anymore when EVERY caller was just as bad as the last. There was no momentum to the segment, something the guys talk about all the time. SHS still needs to be improved in my opinion. The guys mentioned it takes about 3 times to really tell if a segment has legs. I wasn't in love with the first two times, but I still think it has potential. I liked it when they tried breaking up the songs, rather than all five at once.
Sir, they're not going to allow you to...break the law
The only major things I am seeing is the end of NTT. That one really stings.

The other thing I'm seeing is that Zane is seemingly really trying to force the "beat up" of Hot Wings lately. The lost in the woods "beat up" really wasn't funny and it played out far too long. Worse yet he kept giving it a call back.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I think HW Survivalist beat up was fairly funny. Legendary? Absolutely not. To the OP, the continued playing of the Christmas Conga song was started by FB, because their intention was to make it an "earworm" for listeners throughout the day. They do it from time to time and I find it funny when they do it. I think we can all mourn the loss of NTT and, in some respects, STS. SHS sucks the big one and I cannot wait for the bit to die. The sooner the better. Zane tangents are always OK by me. It just seems that lately, with the quitting swearing and cutting everything back and toning it down, they aren't as good. I am still listening, but with much less urgency to download the podcast as I used to. I have been more inclined to listen to the iPod than the podcast. Feels like a chore.
sunshyne Wrote:Queenie, I like your .02

There are times when they have spots that are unliked by me, like the euthinasia bit this morning that seemed to drag on forever. But when it was brought up by a listener that they were the "Debbie downer" of the weekend, they did the silly Friday intro song bit, and made me laugh.

Honestly, they are one of the more enjoyable things about my drive to work. Especially when I'm stuck in traffic for an hour and a half like this morning.

As far as this message board goes, I find it being pretty busy. I've met a lot of cool people here that outside of FB&HW I probably would have never crossed paths with.
I have a job and don't always have time to post stuff (especially Mondays) and from what I've learned of other people that post here, they have pretty busy lives themselves. If you want to see more posts on the board, Mr. 11 post having guy, then type a few up yourself. Big Grin

BTW your excrutiatingly long post above only counts as one, but thank you for breaking it up neatly. :thumbup:

Well put sunshyne! I agree with all you have said. I laugh out loud alone in my car listening to them.....I try to listen at work on my computer and I laugh out loud there as well. They are real, stupid, funny, straight talking guys who point out the absurdities in life! The small segments like NTT are NOT the show! The show is the interaction of the guys with each other and with their audience........always has been, and I hope it always will be.

I have also found this message board quite active...we have our days when we can't post as much (I certainly have been in a slump lately) but there are some truly wonderful people on here!
admin Wrote:The lost in the woods "beat up" really wasn't funny and it played out far too long. Worse yet he kept giving it a call back.

Aw man, really? I thought that was quite funny.
I think it's just changing as they try to grow.

The things i really miss are from way way way long ago, like when the hosts would actually get involved in stunts... like when zane dumped ketchup in HWs mouth, or HW had to eat store brand cereal vs name brand cereal, and was confident he could tell which is which, and couldn't, or zane having to deep throat a banana in public.... things like that used to be radio gold.
yep
Thanks for all the responses....

I wanted to respond to say that the "Make the Operator Laugh" segment was one of the best I've heard. That was radio gold.

And as I'm listening to the podcast from Thursday and Friday last week, I'm finding it more entertaining than I had the past couple weeks, so I'm pleased.
Quote:Paired with an idiot... ?? last time i checked this was a classic, they have gotten plenty of great moments from this game and i am happy it is here again.

This is a classic, my first memory of the show the summer they started in GR. Back then, they called it "The Challenge Game" and whichever person lost had to perform a stunt, similar to Joe's role now. I'd say hearing those segments is what made me a listener... *cue harp out of flashback*
This has been discussed to death. I don't think the show as a whole is going downhill but a few of my favorite segments have disappeared fairly recently which is annoying. Overall it's still very good. In fact, Monday's show was insanely funny from top to bottom.

It's just little things like on Fridays when I get to the segments that used to be "Name That Tune" I'm bummed.
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
I have to admit, there are just way too many changes going on in the show. Dropping NTT, then Stump the Show, they brought in Ron Radio to do their backwiths, they changed the segment intros, the way Joe's stunts are "chosen", a new poorly written website that wasn't ready to go live, Stephen Hawking Sings (:::eye roll::Smile....it's moving at light speed, and it's not the same show that it was when they first showed up here in Albany.

They may have BEEN formulaic, but they never SEEMED formulaic. It was always presented as "four guys hanging out, and there happens to be a mic in the room". Now it seems more commercial and generic.

Has this topic been beaten to death? Probably. But it's one of the most worthwhile posts I've seen on the board in a while.
I look at it kinda like a long-term relationship. Once you get beyond the exciting getting-to-know-each-other stage, you progress to a comfortable familiarity; then, you begin to get annoyed by all of the things you found so charming in the beginning. Like Zane taking things just a little bit too far, or Hotwings being so stogy, or tweaking the programming (which really, they have been doing all along. Think about how many reformations NTT went through before getting axed.)

You can leave them, or start listening to other shows... but you'll start to miss FBHW and wonder why you ever though another show might replace them. You'll guiltily resume your old listening habits, relishing all every moment of the broadcast. How could have you thought they were getting annoying, or tired, or going "downhill"? Lather, rinse, repeat.

Bottom line: I'd rather listen to those guys than anything else, and they sure do make bus rides, work, etc. a lot more bearable.
madkathy Wrote:I look at it kinda like a long-term relationship. Once you get beyond the exciting getting-to-know-each-other stage, you progress to a comfortable familiarity; then, you begin to get annoyed by all of the things you found so charming in the beginning. Like Zane taking things just a little bit too far, or Hotwings being so stogy, or tweaking the programming (which really, they have been doing all along. Think about how many reformations NTT went through before getting axed.)

You can leave them, or start listening to other shows... but you'll start to miss FBHW and wonder why you ever though another show might replace them. You'll guiltily resume your old listening habits, relishing all every moment of the broadcast. How could have you thought they were getting annoying, or tired, or going "downhill"? Lather, rinse, repeat.

Bottom line: I'd rather listen to those guys than anything else, and they sure do make bus rides, work, etc. a lot more bearable.

Shit I have listened to them since i think it was '02, maybe '03. Trust me these guys change a lot. This is just one of the natural progressions of their show. I have seen them make this many changes more than once, especially after the move to GR with the introduction of Joe. They make a bunch of changes and try to see which ones work the best, once they find a good mix they stick with it for a while, and usually make some tweaks to improve the feel. They just make changes in waves, that's how it happens, it is and always has been the nature of the show.
and just like kathy said, you can always just listen to another show, but these guys are a hell of a lot better than listening to any of the other drones you have on the air now, no matter what area you live in.
Philly Mike Wrote:
madkathy Wrote:I look at it kinda like a long-term relationship. Once you get beyond the exciting getting-to-know-each-other stage, you progress to a comfortable familiarity; then, you begin to get annoyed by all of the things you found so charming in the beginning. Like Zane taking things just a little bit too far, or Hotwings being so stogy, or tweaking the programming (which really, they have been doing all along. Think about how many reformations NTT went through before getting axed.)

Shit I have listened to them since i think it was '02, maybe '03. Trust me these guys change a lot. This is just one of the natural progressions of their show. I have seen them make this many changes more than once, especially after the move to GR with the introduction of Joe. They make a bunch of changes and try to see which ones work the best, once they find a good mix they stick with it for a while, and usually make some tweaks to improve the feel. They just make changes in waves, that's how it happens, it is and always has been the nature of the show.
and just like kathy said, you can always just listen to another show, but these guys are a hell of a lot better than listening to any of the other drones you have on the air now, no matter what area you live in.

Amen!! Preach it brother!!!
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
nodak1979 Wrote:Or today, where Zane consistently was using "duck" instead of the expletive in the last bit about the prostitute in Iowa. It derailed it to the point where FB basically had to cut it short and go to break. I would find it hard to believe anybody found using "duck" for 2 minutes instead of a swear word was really that humorous. I don't think this used to be as much of a problem but I notice it more.

You are more than entitled to your opinion about the show and its waxing or waning quality, but some of your post just sounds like you're finding things that annoy you because you've told yourself it's not as good anymore and it's given you a bias.

I just pulled up the duck bit and listened to it again and your recollection of what happened is very slanted against Zane. I'm not saying you should love the guy but in this case HW made the joke in the first place and he made as many references to it as Zane did, with FB only two behind them (yes I counted, yes I know how lame that sounds, I don't give a duck). I think your surprise that anyone would find those 2 minutes funny rivals my surprise that you didn't find it funny, especially considering that's their classic style of humor.

There have been a number of changes recently and if you don't enjoy the show anymore you could tune in to something else. Now that you're of the opinion that the show has gone downhill, I think that continuing to listen to it may only frustrate you as the little annoyances seem to pop out more. To each their own I suppose Smile
danimo Wrote:
nodak1979 Wrote:Or today, where Zane consistently was using "duck" instead of the expletive in the last bit about the prostitute in Iowa. It derailed it to the point where FB basically had to cut it short and go to break. I would find it hard to believe anybody found using "duck" for 2 minutes instead of a swear word was really that humorous. I don't think this used to be as much of a problem but I notice it more.

You are more than entitled to your opinion about the show and its waxing or waning quality, but some of your post just sounds like you're finding things that annoy you because you've told yourself it's not as good anymore and it's given you a bias.

I just pulled up the duck bit and listened to it again and your recollection of what happened is very slanted against Zane. I'm not saying you should love the guy but in this case HW made the joke in the first place and he made as many references to it as Zane did, with FB only two behind them (yes I counted, yes I know how lame that sounds, I don't give a duck). I think your surprise that anyone would find those 2 minutes funny rivals my surprise that you didn't find it funny, especially considering that's their classic style of humor.

There have been a number of changes recently and if you don't enjoy the show anymore you could tune in to something else. Now that you're of the opinion that the show has gone downhill, I think that continuing to listen to it may only frustrate you as the little annoyances seem to pop out more. To each their own I suppose Smile

See now THIS is what you post if you are just starting here on the board. Not a complaint about everything or a flame to others

Thank you dan for showing us that there are some new comers that are reasonable.
ALL YOU WHINERS ARE RIGHT CHANGE SUCKS

I hate the fact that the DTZ jackpot is $3600. I wish they were still giving away $100 a week. That way zane would only have to win for 9 months straight to get the jackpot that high. Having a chance to win a laptop once a month, or a 30G ipod every week REALLY pisses me off. The new web site sucks too. What the hell are they doing? Trying to get better? They should just keep doing the same thing they always have. That's clearly what's made you so succesful. Hang in there a few more years and when mommy dies you'll have the house all to yourself. Now that's success!!

I realize your still upset because "friends" went off the air but your gonna have to cope sooner or later. Seriously, do you think their stupid? I have a feeling they might know what their doing. I'm sure NTT and STT would be great when they all hated doing them. How many other morning shows would you take the time to go on a message board and whine about. Quit being so fussy ya bunch of babies. I bet your a real pleasure to deal with in a real crisis like when it gets dark outside or your cats stop "talking" to you.

Oh i for got one more thing shit ass. There I swore now it's funny.
sirkisklown Wrote:ALL YOU WHINERS ARE RIGHT CHANGE SUCKS

I hate the fact that the DTZ jackpot is $3600. I wish they were still giving away $100 a week. That way zane would only have to win for 9 months straight to get the jackpot that high. Having a chance to win a laptop once a month, or a 30G ipod every week REALLY pisses me off. The new web site sucks too. What the hell are they doing? Trying to get better? They should just keep doing the same thing they always have. That's clearly what's made you so succesful. Hang in there a few more years and when mommy dies you'll have the house all to yourself. Now that's success!!

I realize your still upset because "friends" went off the air but your gonna have to cope sooner or later. Seriously, do you think their stupid? I have a feeling they might know what their doing. I'm sure NTT and STT would be great when they all hated doing them. How many other morning shows would you take the time to go on a message board and whine about. Quit being so fussy ya bunch of babies. I bet your a real pleasure to deal with in a real crisis like when it gets dark outside or your cats stop "talking" to you.

You can leave if you like....the door is that way--->
What? I didn't do it.

When trying to point out that somebody has a stupid/wrong point of view, it might do well to spell things properly... otherwise you don't look the most intelligent yourself. Wink

Not that I disagree with the points you made, just saying that your credibility sort of gets lost in a post like this above.
potthole Wrote:

When trying to point out that somebody has a stupid/wrong point of view, it might do well to spell things properly... otherwise you don't look the most intelligent yourself. Wink

Not that I disagree with the points you made, just saying that your credibility sort of gets lost in a post like this above.
Some of his points were not all that valid either, when the original post was made they had done in NTT so the 30GB Ipod was no longer there, and with no STT there was also no Laptop prize either, which I think had a lot to do with the complaints. They have added some different games finally with the prizes there again, which was my biggest beef with the scrapping of those segments, well besides that I loved NTT.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
Without going into details, and referencing any points anyone has made, I would say, yes, the show has gone downhill recently. Maybe if I didn't have to pay in order to see videos, or entire segments of the show being sponsored by major corporations, or the general direction of them trying to play more one-dimensional characters, then I would not be saying, yes, the show has gone downhill lately.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. Still like the show, just not as good as it was, thus downhill.
I think everybody loved NTT and STT. Myself included. They were some of my favorites. My main point was change isn't always bad. There are just so many things changing right now its a little weird. It's going to make the show different for a while.

My argument was one sided for a reason. Only a moron would think all these changes would be good. I just don't think they got to be as good as they are by being stupid.

I was trying to address all the whiners in general, not just these few posts. And as for the spellin eye'l tri to pruf reed betr nex tym.

I love the show. I think the message board is awesome. I'm not really that big of a dick. Just havin some fun that's all.

Bring it babies!! calm down I was kidding.
sinisterminister Wrote:Maybe if I didn't have to pay in order to see videos

According to multiple posts in the thread about the new website, it was mentioned on the air that the videos won't be "pay-per-view." They are right now, because somebody didn't do something correctly, but apparently FBHW said they are going to change that.

I believe that becky also posted an e-mail that she got from Producer Joe, confirming that as well.

EDIT:

Just noticed that Free Beer recently made a post, also addressing the issue about things on the new website being "pay only."
I don't know if it just my misfortune of when I get to listen to the show or if in fact it has picked up, but it seems that there are more frequent "repeat sessions" (not to be confused with the "flashback"). I think it was last week I heard the same bit three times in two days. "For those of you that may have missed it earlier" or "For those that may have missed it yesterday". If people missed it and want to hear it, let them buy the podcast. It tends to come across that they really don't want to put that much effort into the show so they just replay something from the day before, or the hour before.

And it is starting to get the "feel" that they are trying to "force" (some) bits to be funny. One recent thing that stands out was Zanes white jacket. It just sounded so.... "scripted".