Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
911 Audio copyright?
I was trying to get a podcast show, called "Copcast," to play the 911 audio of the "potty mouth" girl that called 911 and got hung up on. They said they can't because it's copyrighted. Are they incorrect? Or is there some reason it can be played on the radio and not on a podcast?
When they try to stick a needle in you with the H1N1 flu vaccine this fall...run as fast as you can the other way!
copcast is copywritten. the 911 call itslef you can get for yourself. you have to file for a freedom of information thingy to the 911 precenct or something like that
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
No I think you misunderstood. I sent the 911 audio to the Copcast people so that they can play it on their show.
When they try to stick a needle in you with the H1N1 flu vaccine this fall...run as fast as you can the other way!
oh... did you get the audio from the FB&HW show or something like that ? if you got it from another radio show it is considered copywritten
What about when FBHW play audio from other radio shows? Like in the intros like they do often.
they are only short clips, i think its like 30 seconds or 45 or something like that, that is allowed, anything more you need permissions. Podcasts and other small ventures like to play extra safe and try to keep away from all of that though.
I think Philly is right about the "time rule" for copyrights. I know that in publishing you are able to print a certain amount of copyrighted work for 'free', but if you go beoynd that amount you need to file the proper papers to get copyright permission.
Some states do not include 911 calls as part of their public record statute. But as far as being copyrighted, an actual call to a 911 operator in a state where it is a matter of public record would not be copyrighted. Sometimes the identification of the caller and their location may be sealed, but not copyrighted. I think what daredevil ran into was nothing different than the FB&HW podcast being limited to subscribers. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Wink
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!