Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bit sick....
Dear Free Beer and Hot Wings Show,

I'll admit it. I am a week behind on the podcast. I am very sorry. I know, I know, I should be keeping up more. That is besides the point. I guess you could say I was slightly taken aback just now when I heard the first break from Your Thursday, May 16 program. The opening, instead of the regular introduction and speaking about the first topic, was none other than an advertisement. My breath taken away, I attempted to recover. Then it turned into a General Motors placement. No thank you, Free Beer, I cannot take advantage of the 0% APR for 72 months on such cool cars as the Cobalt. Thank you for the idea though. Now a simple advertisement is one thing. But when you decided to "sponsor" the first hour of your show with GM, at least for that day, my heart sank. You are becoming what you make fun of and has provided us with such delight for such a long time. The next stop is your naming of the studio. I have listened for a long time and have always loved, but the past few months, it has been a little awkward with all of your forced changes and your "eat it" attitude. Apparently, the budget is a bit tight for new member Steve, and everything must be shelled. Embarassing was when Zane continually had to promote PEANUTS! during every local break, but this is disgusting. In summation:

I miss my old show. Can I have it back?
The 16th was a Saturday...
What? I didn't do it.
I didn't notice anything different about the ads, they've always done some voiceover stuff at the beginning of segments. But its not like the spent a whole break going on and on about the sponsers and how great they were. This at most took 30 seconds, not the end of the world, and certainly not something to affect listening to the show.
Sir, they're not going to allow you to...break the law
[drop]Waaah I'm sad about stuff[/drop] Hmmph, it's an ad. Every piece of entertainment ever has ads. I did notice that they're being a little easy on the auto industry now, but if they're a sponsor of the show, that's what happens. Oh well.

This Reply was brought to you by Peanuts.
The point is that they are becoming what they make fun of so much. They have, MANY TIMES, made fun of when morning shows name their studio, sponsor hours, etc. That is what they are doing. SImple point made. Please, idiots, ensue.
They've been having segments sponsored for quite awhile. Well before the crappy "peanuts" spots, which were always really funny, due to Zane's lack of enthusiasm about them.
kpaff3587 Wrote:The point is that they are becoming what they make fun of so much. They have, MANY TIMES, made fun of when morning shows name their studio, sponsor hours, etc. That is what they are doing. SImple point made. Please, idiots, ensue.

I couldn't agree more. Listening mostly via podcast these days, I can't believe all the adds. Pretty soon it will be the, " NAPA studios..." ( where have I heard that before? )
This is old news, there's already an entire thread for this.
When they try to stick a needle in you with the H1N1 flu vaccine this fall...run as fast as you can the other way!
It's a radio show...they're ads. As for the podcast, would you rather pay more to have them hire someone to censor out the ads? We don't have to sit through commercials, a simple "This segment sponsored by...." is fine. If these ads help further the show, then I have no problem at all with it. The guys are right, sometimes this message board gets ridiculous
Yeah like Ashley said.

This is a Commercial Radio Show.

The show makes money by providing entertaining content that WE the listeners want to hear, the advertisers PAY the show to put their ads on during the show so that we the listeners might hear their message and buy their products.

Seriously, having the show, or podcast "sponsored" is really not that big of a deal. It's how the system works.

IF you don't want sponsors or commercials during your show or podcast try listening to any NPR show, I'm sure that will satisfy you.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan! Wrote:Yeah like Ashley said.

This is a Commercial Radio Show.

The show makes money by providing entertaining content that WE the listeners want to hear, the advertisers PAY the show to put their ads on during the show so that we the listeners might hear their message and buy their products.

Seriously, having the show, or podcast "sponsored" is really not that big of a deal. It's how the system works.

IF you don't want sponsors or commercials during your show or podcast try listening to any NPR show, I'm sure that will satisfy you.

I think the main issue with the commercials is that you can't really advertise a "commercial free" podcast while it still has commercials in it, thus inherently not making it commercial free. I personally don't care cause they take like 10 seconds and it isn't like I would buy anything from those plugs anyway. Just my opinion on how someone might have an issue.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
I can see how some people would view the whole "Commerical free" thing that you mention, Z-Dunk. Personally, I don't consider the brief sponsorship things to be commercials, though.
–noun
12.Radio and Television. a paid advertisement or promotional announcement.

Pothole, your argument is stupid. GM advertisements are entirely commercials. I am intrigued to hear your assuredly absurd definition of a commercial.
ok, Free Beer and Hot Wings... I guess with their logic, you need to go back and put a long annoying beep in the podcast everytime you mention ANYTHING that might be mistaken as a commercial. Please talk only generically, dont mention any product name or it will have to be beeped. Thank you
kpaff3587 Wrote:–noun

Pothole, your argument is stupid. GM advertisements are entirely commercials. I am intrigued to hear your assuredly absurd definition of a commercial.

You know there IS a way to express your opinion that somebody's argument doesn't make sense to you without being such a douchebag.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
I was trying to be a douchebag. Thank you, though. I will take my "moral police" ticket and move on my way.
kpaff3587 Wrote:I was trying to be a douchebag. Thank you, though. I will take my "moral police" ticket and move on my way.

[Image: certificate.gif]
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Hahaha awesome.
That's what she said.
Queenie Wrote:
kpaff3587 Wrote:I was trying to be a douchebag. Thank you, though. I will take my "moral police" ticket and move on my way.

[Image: certificate.gif]

Get him Queenie!
What? I didn't do it.

Main Entry: ar·gu·ment
Pronunciation: \ˈär-gyə-mənt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin argumentum, from arguere
Date: 14th century
1obsolete : an outward sign : indication
2 a: a reason given in proof or rebuttal b: discourse intended to persuade

I can play your game too. I stated how I interpreted something. Wasn't trying to change the mind of anybody. Wasn't an argument. You lose-- good day, sir!
:clap: :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap:

Queenie and pothole......priceless!

Hey dickface, if you want to take it there, then there is no such thing as a commercial free radio program. Every station does station ID and that is considered a promotional announcement. They say "commercial free" it is expected to have some sort of promotion during whatever it is and they assume people listening know this. By commercial they are referencing those things you hear during the break. It is the way of radio has been and will always be that way. Yes your intent may have been to be a douche but there is a right way to be a douche and a wrong way... you have taken the wrong way.there is no reason to be a dick when you hardly even know people.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Philly Mike Wrote:

Hey dickface, if you want to take it there, then there is no such thing as a commercial free radio program. Every station does station ID and that is considered a promotional announcement. They say "commercial free" it is expected to have some sort of promotion during whatever it is and they assume people listening know this. By commercial they are referencing those things you hear during the break. It is the way of radio has been and will always be that way. Yes your intent may have been to be a douche but there is a right way to be a douche and a wrong way... you have taken the wrong way.there is no reason to be a dick when you hardly even know people.

Yea, take notes from me, dick.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
Cheese goes great with whine.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.