Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Website - Podcast format
The guys mentioned the new podcasting will be available to download as one large file containing the entire show with Zane doing a voiceover between segments. Have they said anything about how this will work on iTunes? Will it still be broken up? I find a broken up by segment podcast makes it much easier to download and work with, not to mention if you can't listen to the entire show at once you would then have to go search through over 4 hours of material just to find where you left off. I think the big file works great for listening on the website, but may not be user friendly for those that download through other sources.
Sir, they're not going to allow you to...break the law
I really don't like this new long-file idea either. Because I listen to the podcasts at work, I often stop in the middle of a show at the end of the day and come back to it the next day. Now I'll have to sift through 4 hours of audio to find where I stopped. Plus, this makes it really hard to skip segments that are being replayed for the third or fourth time. Plus, If I have to listen to one long 4 hour segment, I don't really want Zane popping in all the time to tell me what I'm about to listen to. It's not like I can easily skip over it if I don't like the description anyway.
This also makes it impossible to go back and find segments that were funny that you want to hear again. I have two years of podcasts saved so I can go back and listen to whatever I want when I get bored. If I want to hear old Dumber Than Zane segments, I just search "DTZ". Now I have no way of knowing when segments happened.

There's a reason we don't use cassette tapes anymore. One long track is a pain in the ass.
Does the new podcast include the WGRD-only segments, or do they remove those now? I always enjoy keeping up with what's going on in West Michigan but can't always listen live.
basically everything is the same as it used to be but instead of being split it is all one file, with zane giving a quick rundown for each show hour. the GRD segments are included. the zane commentary really isn't that bad, he only speaks for about 30 seconds each for the 5 different hours of the show. as far as finding where i stopped off i just make a quick mental note of how far in it was looking at the time on the mp3 player
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
so is there a way to seperate them if we want to? like if I want to save a certain segment for my sister to hear later? That's how I get people to listen, by saving certain segments for when they ride with me. I make them listen, and I got both my sister and another friend to be addicted that way. I dont want to save entire show files though and then have to seek it out
audacity
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://audacity.sourceforge.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://audacity.sourceforge.net/</a><!-- m -->
nice program, open source so if you know code ...
Audacity kicks ass.
Agreed, I know nothing about messing with audio files, and with no instructions I was still able figure out audacity, it can handle very simple tasks quite easily.
I downloaded it, maybe I'll figure it out someday haha
They really need to go back to the individual segments. The new format (one file for the whole show) is really a pain in the ass. Guys, I know you said you loved the new format and it may be easier for you, but please, take a poll and see what we, your loyal fans, would like. I can tell you by reading this forum and the forum on your site, it would be the separate segments.

smwoodcrafts
they should...

a. leave it like it is with the show divided by breaks.
b. divide the show up into hour segments. this is how bob & tom and jim rome do their podcasts and it works great, but it can take a while depending on how fast your internet connection is.

when i used to record the show off of their internet feed, it would be one large mp3 and it was a pain to find the parts of the show that i wanted to hear. but with the podcast already divided up by segments, i can sync my iPod in the morning and listen to the beginning of the show on my way to work and pick and choose what i want to hear. with the show being one large file now, this isn't possible anymore.
well i did start a thread in the VIP forum, make some noise there and maybe they will listen. I know they visit here too, but there is also a chance this could get overlooked here.
I posted in the VIP forum as well. Everyone who wants the old format back, please POLITELY post in that forum and maybe we can get them to rethink the one big file thing. It would be even better if we could get them to start posting them as each segment completes so that we don't have to wait until after the show to start listening on the podcast, but we'll take what we can get.
Philly Mike Wrote:well i did start a thread in the VIP forum, make some noise there and maybe they will listen. I know they visit here too, but there is also a chance this could get overlooked here.
Correction, queenie started it. She beat me to the punch, forgot about that :tonguebath:
So today was my big test trying out the single file podcast. I pulled in my driveway when I came home and went to hit pause and instead I hit the back arrow, starting the track at 0:00. I knew it was during the Chastity Bono segment but I had no idea where in the 4 hour 15 minute segment it was. I remember glancing down once when there was 2 hours remaining, but I knew I had listened for a while since then. So I hit fast forward on my ipod, which skips about 20 seconds at a time, I heard for a second Linda Hogan sobbing, I heard something about the Redwings, bleeps from the interview with the New Jersey guy. It was like listening to the whole show over. I stopped the 2 hour mark. No, that's not it, I listened to that a while ago. More ff.... oh, I'm getting closer, there's the talk about the fat woman on the flatbed truck, that was recent. There...there's talk about Chastity Bono! Now, where was I in here? I skipped around and I find the last thing I heard.. seconds before that segment ends. Really? I was at the end of that segment anyway? If I had a timer, I'd have known it was ending soon, would have been a great place to pause... HAD I KNOWN. Honestly, total time trying to find my place again... over 10 minutes.

I'm not trying to be spiteful here. I love listening to FBHW. I may have complained some about them getting rid of Name That Tune, but other than that, I have absolutely no complaints. I know it sounds stupid, but after my divorce, the podcast kept me going. Cheesy, I know, but this new format is such a pain in the ass. I'll get used to it I guess, if that's how it has to be, but does ANYONE like it?
Ashleyme Wrote:So today was my big test trying out the single file podcast. I pulled in my driveway when I came home and went to hit pause and instead I hit the back arrow, starting the track at 0:00. I knew it was during the Chastity Bono segment but I had no idea where in the 4 hour 15 minute segment it was. I remember glancing down once when there was 2 hours remaining, but I knew I had listened for a while since then. So I hit fast forward on my ipod, which skips about 20 seconds at a time, I heard for a second Linda Hogan sobbing, I heard something about the Redwings, bleeps from the interview with the New Jersey guy. It was like listening to the whole show over. I stopped the 2 hour mark. No, that's not it, I listened to that a while ago. More ff.... oh, I'm getting closer, there's the talk about the fat woman on the flatbed truck, that was recent. There...there's talk about Chastity Bono! Now, where was I in here? I skipped around and I find the last thing I heard.. seconds before that segment ends. Really? I was at the end of that segment anyway? If I had a timer, I'd have known it was ending soon, would have been a great place to pause... HAD I KNOWN. Honestly, total time trying to find my place again... over 10 minutes.

I'm not trying to be spiteful here. I love listening to FBHW. I may have complained some about them getting rid of Name That Tune, but other than that, I have absolutely no complaints. I know it sounds stupid, but after my divorce, the podcast kept me going. Cheesy, I know, but this new format is such a pain in the ass. I'll get used to it I guess, if that's how it has to be, but does ANYONE like it?
yup, when they have double segments it can take me around 5 minutes to find the spot after it using my phone, because the time slider is a pain in the ass. The big file has some advantages, but it is more inconvienient. join in on thier message board and voice up...
I checked out that message board and I couldn't figure it out. I saw you and Queenie there, but I like this board better
Ashleyme Wrote:I checked out that message board and I couldn't figure it out. I saw you and Queenie there, but I like this board better
no doubt this board is way better, but it may be better to give feedback on something like this on that board because it is directly linked to anyone who may be connected to the whole online aspect of their site and not part of this board. all you have to do is go on to the podcast segments thread and reply using the text box at the bottom and click on post. Not saying we should switch to that board, this one will always be the more fun one, but that one is good to get things here and there going.
Day 2. I get to the 2nd "What Hot Wings Thinks" so I pushed the next button to skip it because I already heard it. There was no next track to skip to. Lost my place yet again. I HATE IT hmmph
Day 3. Yay, I'm caught up! All I had to do it download today's podcast so I can listen to it at work. I work at 11, so at 10:40 I check it, nothing there yet. Oh well, guess I'll just be WAY behind tomorrow... oh wait, we still have a week with the old format! My single segment podcast experiment is over for now. To be continued next week....

Will I renew in August? We'll see. I wish the show wasn't so F'ing funny hmmph
For the love of God, PLEASE segment the podcasts. Allegedly I will be forced to listen to the single file starting Monday, but I hope not.

Richard M.
1 posts
Posted Jun 18, 8:30 AM

Delete your post
Edit your post
You have no new mail.

Doesn't look like there are many supporters of the 4 hour podcast...

I, too, would like to throw my two cents in... I'd prefer being able to get the last on-air segment as soon as you guys go to break, and having to wait until the show is finished to be able to download it is a bit of a downer. Scuba Steve the web guy is getting off pretty easy here. But, unfortunately it appears you're set on the one large podcast...at least can you add the bookmarks so it does make skipping around alot easier.

Ryan J.
1 posts
Posted Jun 18, 6:50 AM

Send this user a message
Report this post | Block this user

I have a Zune which allows you to skip through the podcast in 1/4th increments. Even if the podcast was segmented by hours, that would at least give me the control to skip past a segment I already heard (flashbacks, replays) or the ones I don't like (STT, PWAI)

I think what is more annoying about this is now you have a new guy on hand who is dedicated to working the website and handling these online tasks and this is the exact same time that the podcast gets thrown under the bus. There is more capability to do the work that's been done, so now it's transitioning to a manner where less work gets done?

Please segment to at least an hour (the 15 minute breaks were best, but beggars can't be choosers)

Adam W.
1 posts
Posted Jun 18, 5:01 AM

Send this user a message

segment the podcast plz

TRAVIS G.
3 posts
Posted Jun 17, 8:23 PM

Send this user a message

segment the podcast

TRAVIS G.
3 posts
Posted Jun 17, 8:23 PM

Send this user a message

Definitely bring segments back. This whole one big file thing is not working.

Michael L.
1 posts
Posted Jun 17, 12:38 PM

Send this user a message

If you have one of these players, that would help with one issue, but not the issue of fast forwarding though the duplicated segments that always seem to happen or the replays of something that happened earlier in the week. Just go back to the segmenting. You're still doing it. I don't see the big problem with giving the people buying the podcast the format they want it in especially when it's the way you've been doing it until now.

smwoodcrafts

smwoodcrafts
8 posts
Posted Jun 17, 6:06 AM

Send this user a message

This post was edited after it was posted by smwoodcrafts at Jun 17, 6:06 AM

Actually MP3s include track data artist info and so forth, audio editors can add guidelines for bookmarks into this as well...

Also, a lot of MP3 players have the ability to add bookmarks to files on the fly. A simple google search gives you this list: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.andrewdavidson.com/articles/mp3-players-with-bookmarks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.andrewdavidson.com/articles/ ... bookmarks/</a><!-- m --> also CNET has a roundup here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players-with-bookmarking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players-with-bookmarking/</a><!-- m -->

I know buying a new MP3 player seems a bit of an over kill, but if you're in the market for one I hope this helps.

Maybe in the RSS field it would be a good idea to give segment lengths? How long the flashback is so I can know how far to fast forward? Or maybe when you're compiling the show into the big mp3 you leave out the repeated segments and make them separate like WHWT?

Norman B.
3 posts
Posted Jun 17, 5:32 AM

Send this user a message

All very good arguments. I think that whoever is reading this from the "staff" should see that this forum has the most responses of any other forum on the VIP site. It has more than twice as many views and responses as any other forum (the 2nd being the "problems with the podcast conversion" one. Not one person on here says they like it. I know I have had a miserable time with it the past few days. A 4 hour long file is just impossible for me to deal with.

If there is a good argument about why the hour long podcast is better for the guys on the show, the site "staff", anyone, please post it and I won't complain anymore. I mean good arguments too, something besides "industry standard" If someone would just come on and say "look, we're sorry, we see that there are a lot of complaints, but this is how it has to be because....." then I wouldn't care at all. I wouldn't care if it was just Zane coming on and saying "Hey, I'm lazy, this is easier". But saying it's "Industry standard" is kind of a cop-out.

David R.
2 posts
Posted Jun 16, 8:48 PM

Send this user a message

Most audio editors allow you to place "bookmarks" throughout a large audio file. This allows the listener to skip ahead easily much like a CD track. It's the industry standard for audio books.

For audio books, yes, but I don't believe the MP3 format allows you to place bookmarks or chapters into a file. And converting to a format other than MP3 would screw up listeners even more. IMHO, the best solution would be to offer a segmented podcast and a single-file podcast, and let the listener choose.
well it's not even that, the whole skip feature on most mp3 players will only skip to the next file.
When they try to stick a needle in you with the H1N1 flu vaccine this fall...run as fast as you can the other way!
I asked Zane last weekend why the podcast is such a way.

Zane said "I used to be the one that uploads the podcast, and I'd usually be able to do it between segments or during segments. It's about a ten minute process totally for each file. With the new site, I have to [send, email, get them the files somehow, I wasn't clear on what he said]. When I first did that, they looked at the files and said "Whoa, no can do. We don't have the manpower to upload these 16 segments. It has to be one file. So I started doing it the one file way. I like doing segments so that they're easier to stick on shuffle for iPods, but there's not much I can do about it now."

I asked him if they'd let him do the uploading, or if it were possible to stick markers in the file.

Zane: "Hmm, didn't think to ask if they'd let me upload. I'll ask when we get back. I was thinking about doing the markers thing, but I have to experiment to see how that works."
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
I'm not looking forward to the new format, but I'm willing to give it a try. As long as I'm able to edit and make my own personal Best Of, I'll be ok. This Audacity program will do that?
Yes, audacity will. You also need the LAME encoder to put it back to mp3 format. If anyone has any questions about this, let me know. I might not be an expert, but I know enough to be dangerous. Smile
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
0rz0ski Wrote:Yes, audacity will. You also need the LAME encoder to put it back to mp3 format. If anyone has any questions about this, let me know. I might not be an expert, but I know enough to be dangerous. Smile
Just a little extra for audacity. you have to keep 2 things in mind. 1 you will need space on your hard drivebecause you will be breaking up a big file esentially making it double, and 2 it will take a long time for audacity to load the file and you may have some slow reaction times with selections and everything else due to the huge file.
I downloaded audacity, hopeless for me to figure out probably haha hmmph
Ashleyme Wrote:I downloaded audacity, hopeless for me to figure out probably haha hmmph

If you have any questions just ask us, or you can PM me.
When they try to stick a needle in you with the H1N1 flu vaccine this fall...run as fast as you can the other way!
My problem is less the segments in general and more the fact that yesterday the version of the podcast that wasn't segmented AGAIN had a skipped segment and a dupe segment. This is getting silly. It seems like in recent weeks there is at least one podcast a week where there's a problem like that.

My biggest issue isn't just that it happens once in a while but that it NEVER gets fixed. If a segment is skipped one day then it should be properly uploaded the next day if at all possible. Instead it's just ignored. I don't want to rip into Steev but if they fired a second producer that takes of the tech stuff then problems like this shouldn't persist.

I know, I know I don't like sounding like a complainer since the cost of the podcast breaks down to a couple of cents a second but these little things really should be taken care of.
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
So, what is happening...exactly? Can I still get the podcast via iTunes? Every day I would refresh and its there but, now what's happening?
So I went into to the website this morning to test how to download the full podcast. I clicked on the link, and in my iTunes it showed that the file was downloading. But once it finished, the file was no where to be found, usually it is in the "podcast" folder, but it did not show up there. Any ideas where or how to get this file on iTunes?
certainlycertainly Wrote:So I went into to the website this morning to test how to download the full podcast. I clicked on the link, and in my iTunes it showed that the file was downloading. But once it finished, the file was no where to be found, usually it is in the "podcast" folder, but it did not show up there. Any ideas where or how to get this file on iTunes?
hmmm... not too sure, i don't use itunes. maybe do a search in your pc using the search feature.

use google reader you get to choose where it downloads to like a regular browser download, a lot simpler.
I figured it out so it cant be all that bad. RIP podcast segments though. Welcome Titanic sized 4-hour chunks! And by "welcome", I mean eff you. At least I have a month and a half to try to get used to it before I decide if I'm going to renew.
0rz0ski Wrote:they looked at the files and said "Whoa, no can do. We don't have the manpower to upload these 16 segments. It has to be one file. So I started doing it the one file way. I like doing segments so that they're easier to stick on shuffle for iPods, but there's not much I can do about it now."

So it sounds like it's the new website developers, not the show making these decisions. Or, as they've alluded to on air, they request it one way, and the site developers tell them they're wrong. So what if instead of petitioning Zane (whom I believe DOES care about podcasters and getting it right for them, yet is helpless in this situation), we very politely request segmented podcasting from the website developers. Their contact info can be found here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.compassmedianetworks.com/common/contactus.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.compassmedianetworks.com/com ... tactus.jsp</a><!-- m --> After all, Kosann went to Brown. Shouldn't he be able to figure it out?

If you do email, though, please don't be nasty... remember what the guys said, if you attack right from the start, they're way more likely to say "f-off" and ignore you. Be courteous, a la Queenie.
I'm sorry if this was covered already, but does anyone know how long after the show goes off the air for the day, until it's available for download?
Attention everyone I apologize for the above post with the stupidest question ever! I could have answered my own question, if I just read their website... I am a complete moron!
certainlycertainly Wrote:So I went into to the website this morning to test how to download the full podcast. I clicked on the link, and in my iTunes it showed that the file was downloading. But once it finished, the file was no where to be found, usually it is in the "podcast" folder, but it did not show up there. Any ideas where or how to get this file on iTunes?

Double-check in your iTunes preferences to see if maybe your download folder got changed somehow.

madkathy Wrote:So it sounds like it's the new website developers, not the show making these decisions. Or, as they've alluded to on air, they request it one way, and the site developers tell them they're wrong. So what if instead of petitioning Zane (whom I believe DOES care about podcasters and getting it right for them, yet is helpless in this situation), we very politely request segmented podcasting from the website developers. Their contact info can be found here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.compassmedianetworks.com/common/contactus.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.compassmedianetworks.com/com ... tactus.jsp</a><!-- m --> After all, Kosann went to Brown. Shouldn't he be able to figure it out?

If you do email, though, please don't be nasty... remember what the guys said, if you attack right from the start, they're way more likely to say "f-off" and ignore you. Be courteous, a la Queenie.

That's what it sounds like to me, too. Yet another strike against the website developers. Thus far I am not impressed with them at all.
potthole Wrote:That's what it sounds like to me, too. Yet another strike against the website developers. Thus far I am not impressed with them at all.

So let 'em know. I thanked them for their efforts to improve the website, and then told them how/why the podcasters are upset by the new method. I asked them what they might be able to do to at least give us the standard we used to have...all very politely and respectfully. I also cc'd the show. Maybe if enough of us write them...
OK I just emailed Peter. This is what I said:

Peter,

First I would like to say that your group did an excellent job with the Free Beer and Hot Wings web site. The update was long overdue. There is an area, though, that could use a little tweeking. That of the podcasts. I have been a podcaster for a few years and we have become accustomed to the segmented format of that podcast. This segmented format allows for more versatility to the listener over the one large file format that the podcast has changed to. I understand that Zane hands it to you guys and you, in turn post it to be downloaded. Is there a way that you could allow Zane the upload it directly so that he can upload a segmented format? This would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your consideration,

Dan Seymour
Long time listener and podcaster of
The Free Beer and Hot Wings Morning Show.
Anyone else find that today's podcast when downloaded was only 2hours and 15 minutes? What the F
certainlycertainly Wrote:Anyone else find that today's podcast when downloaded was only 2hours and 15 minutes? What the F

Mine indicates it is 3:54:54 . . .
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!