Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Current Natures Scares are B.S.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtec...ories.html

I've listed them here.

The Sun is behind Global Warming

Rather than man-made CO2 being responsible for global warming, they argue that there is evidence it is caused in part by the increase in the intensity of the Sun's heat.

CO2 levels

Although the level of CO2 is higher than the "pre-industrial" level – today it is about 0.038 per cent of the atmosphere, compared to 0.02 per cent, carbon dioxide levels have often been as much as 10 times higher than they are today.

Polar bears and penguins are not dying out

Most populations of polar bear are doing well. Despite the melting in the Arctic ice cap, numbers have more than doubled since 1950. They are also good swimmers. Although some Antarctic penguin colonies are decreasing in size, their numbers are also steady.

The Gulf Stream is not under threat

The Gulf Stream is as strong as ever, and getting warmer. There is no evidence to suggest the Arctic ice melting is pushing it further south.

The Maldives are not sinking

Maldives property owners are so confident the sea is receding, they are building a number of upmarket seafront hotels. Tuvalu in the Pacific, often seen as being most at risk of flooding, has actually seen a fall in sea levels.

Global warming might be good for us

Warmer climate and an increase in CO2 could be good for farming and agriculture. Less severe winters will also allow more crops to be grown.

There are few 'bad' foods

Fears about hamburgers are irrational. Most countries' national dish is based on minced meat, with none suffering from a junk food-related epidemic. Obesity is not caused by these foods, but by those who gorge on it.

Organic food is no better for you

Plant nutriment comes from the air, in the form of CO2, and from water-soluble chemicals in the soil. By the time organic foods – thought to not contain "chemicals" used in large-scale conventional farming – reach your plate, it is all the same.

Turkey Twizzlers are fine

It is made of recovered turkey meat and provides the same amino acids as normal turkey breast.

There is no need to cut back on salt

Salt is an essential food. We need salt to control our body temperature through sweating. Exercise in a person with low salt can cause overheating, and in extreme cases, death.

We do not know what causes heart disease

Many people with high cholesterol do not get heart disease. Many people with very low levels do. It may have more to do with cultural variations. Indeed, populations with a diet high in saturated fat, such as the Inuit or Siberian hunter-gatherers, have some of the lowest cholesterol.

Mercury fillings are probably harmless

A single amalgam filling provides 0.03 micrograms/day of mercury, almost 3,000 times less the safety level permitted for persons with occupation exposure to mercury.[/b]

You may now commence living your life.
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
This articles has numerous flaws, here are two:

Quote:The Sun is behind Global Warming

Quote:Polar bears and penguins are not dying out

By acknowledging global warming they contradict themselves, the biggest threat to polar bears is habitat loss (ice).

On a sadder note…

Quote:On May 14, 2008, the United States Department of the Interior listed the polar bear as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act.

Quote:Global warming might be good for us: Warmer climate and an increase in CO2 could be good for
farming and agriculture. Less severe winters will also allow more crops to be grown.

^^ That is one of the stupidest things I have ever read…. :crazy:
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
No, global warming is real, cuz the media told me so.

In fact, right now, I'm getting sunburnt because of the hole in the ozone, being attacked by killer bees, dying thanks to CFC's, I have SARS, the Swine Flu, the Bird Flu and the Ebola Flesh Eating Bacteria. I still haven't gotten my computer to boot right since the whole Y2K meltdown. My car's paint is peeling from acid rain and now I have to worry about Polar bears migrating south and taking over all of our major U.S. cities????

Yep, I'm so worried that I bought a bunch of plastic wrap and duct tape to thwart any chemical/biological warfare and I have my family practicing our "duck and cover" drills cuz if you see the flash a small wooden school desk will protect you from the blast and fallout!

On second thought, pass me another cold beer and let someone else get their panties in a bunch over the next media epidemically pandemic pandamonia.
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
actually a study by Nasa does say that solar activity is ONE of the causes for global warming. Another report i read by "scientists" says we are in a global cooling stage right now (though I don't feel it)
I think when it comes to earth and predicting what it is doing, it is kind of a crap shoot. They don't KNOW, they just have some good sounding THEORIES.
this book seems to be a little heavy on the denouncing everything side, but if you actually look at it in a moderate sense a lot of this is true.

The Sun is behind Global Warming

well this i agree with as far as global warming falling all on us. Throughout the earth's history there have been major fluctuations in the temperature even before humans. There have been many things pointing out flaws in the idea that it is us, I remember seeing something that had Al Gore (don't know if it was from inconvienient truth or not) where he is standing in front of a chart doing a presentation showing how our CO2 emissions are causing global warming but if you look at the chart the temp usually rises then the CO2 rises right after it

CO2 levels

considering that carbon is in basically everything on this planet it is reasonable the levels will go up and down all of the time. Besides methane is a worse greenhouse gas than CO2.

Polar bears and penguins are not dying out

Technically this is correct because both species have been teetering on the verge of being on endangered/threatened for a very very long time. I don't fell like looking it up right now but i believe they both have been on the lists a couple of times in the past and have gone off it.

The Gulf Stream is not under threat

Any fears of this are just stupid.

The Maldives are not sinking

this was yet more paranoia spreading to show global warming is dangerous.

not only could more crops be grown but it has been proven that people who live in more of a warm climate live longer.
that is even if it goes to the point where global warming is going to really get that far.

There are few 'bad' foods

As the old rule goes, all things in moderation... duh Tongue

Organic food is no better for you

As they stated on the show. The chemicals and additives have been created to help us not hurt us

Turkey Twizzlers are fine

never heard of em nor do i care

There is no need to cut back on salt

as i said before all things in moderation.

We do not know what causes heart disease

Regardless what does or doesn't cause it, watching things like your cholesterol is always a good thing to do anyway.

Mercury fillings are probably harmless

eh who cares... Tongue

But thats just my opinion.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]

Warmer climate and an increase in CO2 could be good for farming and agriculture. Less severe winters will also allow more crops to be grown.

The only issue I have with that statement is that if "global warming" (should be called climate change anyway cause not everything will get warmer) happens then we would have less of a winter, but a lot more severe weather events such as heavy rainfalls, large blizzards, tornados, hurricanes, etc. All of which have a tendency to do massive damage to crops so I think it would be a moot point that there is more CO2.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
believe it or not, there is actually studies and development of technologies that will allow us to control global climate.
thats another bad idea all in its self. Who controls it, who decides? Why can't people just leave nature alone. There is reason the seasons are the way that they are. certain plants won't germinate if the don't have a freeze. Bird won't migrate, causing disruptions in food chains and plant pollination. Storms, fires, earthquakes, etc. the destructive side of nature, all happens for a reason. Sure it sucks when homes are destroyed, or people die, but thats life. Don't build your house on sand.
Normal everyday life is not what is destroying the planet, science is. By trying to make the world "better".
I'm not saying science should halt on everything, but when it comes to some things they should step back and think about what the consequences of what they are doing could be.
China was controlling the weather during the Olympics…fuckin communists …
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
sunshyne Wrote:thats another bad idea all in its self. Who controls it, who decides? Why can't people just leave nature alone. There is reason the seasons are the way that they are. certain plants won't germinate if the don't have a freeze. Bird won't migrate, causing disruptions in food chains and plant pollination. Storms, fires, earthquakes, etc. the destructive side of nature, all happens for a reason. Sure it sucks when homes are destroyed, or people die, but thats life. Don't build your house on sand.
Normal everyday life is not what is destroying the planet, science is. By trying to make the world "better".
I'm not saying science should halt on everything, but when it comes to some things they should step back and think about what the consequences of what they are doing could be.
well the point of the technology isn't really to have complete control of the environment like star trek. They plan on using the technology only in an extreme emergency situation. They have no intention of using this as a method to make everything perfect.
People have survived and thrived for thousands of years without being able to exert any control over the weather. Let's just leave it that way.
potthole Wrote:People have survived and thrived for thousands of years without being able to exert any control over the weather. Let's just leave it that way.
eh regardless people will do so if they think it would help. Natural instinct makes us work at survival. If there is a chance a bunch of us could get killed we will work at survival at any cost.
Dude, If I could be making my own personal thunderstorm, I'd be doing it every day!!
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
This reminds me of something funny from when I was real little, probably 5 or 6...

I knew that thunderstorms and tornados got started by hot air and cold air hitting each other. I was worried that if I were to ever turn on my fan and throw a blanket over top of it, a tornado would form in my room.
Thats funny, but its pretty good logic for a 5 year old.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
I was always tempted to just put a blanket over top of my fan to try it, but never did, out of fear that it might actually work and create a tornado.