Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To da Moon Alice!! To da Moon!
So its been about 30 years since the US landed on the moon. To me this is still the crowning acheivement of America, maybe the crowning acheivement of man-kind. So should we attempt to go back? Would it be a giant waste of money? Should we wait as a country until we are in a better possition financially? Would it be a jobs creator? If we do, should we let the rest of the world in on the fun this time or should we go it alone? Heres Buzz Aldrin's opinion. What do you think?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/28/aldrin_space_vision/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/28 ... ce_vision/</a><!-- m -->
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Well I didn't sit there and read the whole article but i do know that the whole shuttle program will be scrapped soon. This is reasonable because as far as getting people out there, it's a been there done that thing. If we want to do more exploration we need to use advance robotics technology. We have proved what we could do with a small project like the rover on mars, imagine what we could do if we actually used the extra budget from the shuttle program and put it into robotic exploration. We could discover things we never imagined. The main thing is robots need no food, air, water, or much of anything else so the space and weight we save on that can be used for fuel and anything else that may be useful. another plus is that a robot doesn't feel the need to come back home to see it's family and can stay out there as long as we need it out there, robots don't really take the breaks we need they don't really need to sleep, or anything like that.

So if we go back to the moon we may as well partner up with some other country, we seem to get more done with science when we do that anyway, look at the space station, that alone shows what a collaberative effort can achieve. So yeah I am all for colleberation with other countries to put people up there so we can work on bigger and better exploration efforts with new technology.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I don't think we ever went. Confusedhifty:
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
I would rather have guaranteed health care for my future kids than spend the money collecting space dirt.
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
Wiener Poopie Wrote:I would rather have guaranteed health care for my future kids than spend the money collecting space dirt.
while guaranteed healthcare is something I also agree we need, space exploration is more than just finding space dirt. we can potentially find new resources to use. At the very least we will have major advancements in robotics that may help aid people with different handicaps.
Philly Mike Wrote:while guaranteed healthcare is something I also agree we need, space exploration is more than just finding space dirt. we can potentially find new resources to use. At the very least we will have major advancements in robotics that may help aid people with different handicaps.

[drop]let me explain something, ok? cripples are not cool.[/drop]
Philly Mike Wrote:
Wiener Poopie Wrote:I would rather have guaranteed health care for my future kids than spend the money collecting space dirt.
while guaranteed healthcare is something I also agree we need, space exploration is more than just finding space dirt. we can potentially find new resources to use. At the very least we will have major advancements in robotics that may help aid people with different handicaps.

When going to the moon all we are doing is furthering our space rock collection. As far as furthering robotics for handicapped folks we can do that just as easily with our feet planted on Earth and without spending all the extra cash/fuel to send a couple of monkies into space

[Image: SuperCool.jpg]
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Now if the moon were made of cheese? Its liftoff time….
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:

When going to the moon all we are doing is furthering our space rock collection. As far as furthering robotics for handicapped folks we can do that just as easily with our feet planted on Earth and without spending all the extra cash/fuel to send a couple of monkies into space

[

It still doesn't take away from the prospect off new resources we could possibly find on other planets.
Philly Mike Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:

[

It still doesn't take away from the prospect off new resources we could possibly find on other planets.

If we need to start exploring other satellites to sustain life on earth we are fucked! :o
Wiener Poopie Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:

[

If we need to start exploring other satellites to sustain life on earth we are fucked! :o

not to sustain life but what about making it easier, or even things that we don't even have here on earth that may be out there.
Philly Mike Wrote:It still doesn't take away from the prospect off new resources we could possibly find on other planets.

key words....

we're talking about staying off the moon and using our money for something else. At least that's what i gathered
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"

Why do I trust what Nasa does more than more than what congress is fixing to do with healthcare?

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:When going to the moon all we are doing is furthering our space rock collection. As far as furthering robotics for handicapped folks we can do that just as easily with our feet planted on Earth and without spending all the extra cash/fuel to send a couple of monkies into space

Now wait a minute. We have ALOT of cool stuff as a direct result of technology directly related to the Space Program. Hell, where do I start. Laser tech. Cordless tools. CD ROM. Computers. Tang. Many times the Space program has taken old technologys and combined them in new and imaginative ways to create something crazy cool. And declassified technologys go to industries to further humanity. Plus a butt load of stuff I can't think of right now. It costs alot, but we get alot back.
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
NASA is a money pit and joke.
Mad Dog Wrote:

Why do I trust what Nasa does more than more than what congress is fixing to do with healthcare?

Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:When going to the moon all we are doing is furthering our space rock collection. As far as furthering robotics for handicapped folks we can do that just as easily with our feet planted on Earth and without spending all the extra cash/fuel to send a couple of monkies into space

Now wait a minute. We have ALOT of cool stuff as a direct result of technology directly related to the Space Program. Hell, where do I start. Laser tech. Cordless tools. CD ROM. Computers. Tang. Many times the Space program has taken old technologys and combined them in new and imaginative ways to create something crazy cool. And declassified technologys go to industries to further humanity. Plus a butt load of stuff I can't think of right now. It costs alot, but we get alot back.

So then why can't we research the same technologies and even more without wasting money actually going into space?
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
zdunklee Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:

So then why can't we research the same technologies and even more without wasting money actually going into space?
the reason these technologies were even thought of is because of the need that was created by the task of space travel. otherwise they would have never even be thought of. We would end up with new challenges and new technologies we never could have thought of otherwise.
I spend too much money on “tang “as it is…
Philly Mike Wrote:
zdunklee Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:

the reason these technologies were even thought of is because of the need that was created by the task of space travel. otherwise they would have never even be thought of. We would end up with new challenges and new technologies we never could have thought of otherwise.

I don't buy that argument at all, they might not have been thought of as quickly... Cordless tools would have been there sooner or later (I mean that was just common sense to eliminate the cord). The other three were not even NASA inventions:

Computers were first thought of by Charles Babbage in 1856, well before NASA ever existed, and in fact NASA is never mentioned in anything to do with the invention in the first place: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_computer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_computer</a><!-- m -->

Same with CD-Rom, yet another invention that was not done by NASA, as matter of fact Sony and Phillips jointly created it. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_CD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_CD</a><!-- m -->

Lasers were actually first theorized by Einstein himself and the first working Laser was created in 1960 (again not by NASA). <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://inventors.about.com/od/lstartinventions/a/laser.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://inventors.about.com/od/lstartinv ... /laser.htm</a><!-- m -->
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
zdunklee Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:
zdunklee Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:

I don't buy that argument at all, they might not have been thought of as quickly... Cordless tools would have been there sooner or later (I mean that was just common sense to eliminate the cord). The other three were not even NASA inventions:

Computers were first thought of by Charles Babbage in 1856, well before NASA ever existed, and in fact NASA is never mentioned in anything to do with the invention in the first place: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_computer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_computer</a><!-- m -->

Same with CD-Rom, yet another invention that was not done by NASA, as matter of fact Sony and Phillips jointly created it. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_CD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_CD</a><!-- m -->

Lasers were actually first theorized by Einstein himself and the first working Laser was created in 1960 (again not by NASA). <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://inventors.about.com/od/lstartinventions/a/laser.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://inventors.about.com/od/lstartinv ... /laser.htm</a><!-- m -->
okay so these technologies weren't exactly created like that. but regardless this research into these technologies can help us.

Regardless, space exploration will benefit us in the future. The potential to inhabit other planets starts at the moon anyway. This can branch out to other planets if we go on.
Maybe you didn't read this part of my post Z:

Mad Dog Wrote:Many times the Space program has taken old technologys and combined them in new and imaginative ways to create something crazy cool. And declassified technologys go to industries to further humanity.

Nasa is far and away the best, coolest government agency the United States has ever produced. I guess some of us have just lost our natural urge to explore strange new Worlds, To go Boldly where NO MAN has gone before. Duntadun dundun da da dun ta dun!!!!
I'm torn on the space program. I think it's cool, I think it's been able to help move along the creation/updating of some technologies, but I also think it's a huge expense, and at times I feel like the money would be better going other places.
NASA's moon bombing project

http://lcross.arc.nasa.gov/

Quote:LCROSS will excavate the permanently dark floor of one of the Moon’s polar craters with two heavy impactors in 2009 to test the theory that ancient ice lies buried there.

Supposed to be on October 9th 7:30 EDT, and supposedly able to see the dust plume from the explosion from earth with the naked eye.
That sounds pretty awesome. I think the show was talking about that last Monday, too. It's a pretty sweet idea to try to excavate the moon, but is it really necessary right now? That's a huge chunk of change that could probably be better used elsewhere. But hey.. maybe it'll yield something cool and useful.
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
Damn the expense!!! Blast away!!! It won't be any more expensive than giving everyone health insurance.
Mad Dog Wrote:Damn the expense!!! Blast away!!! It won't be any more expensive than giving everyone health insurance.
well besides all of that, who cares as long as we get to see a big bada boom.
Philly Mike Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:Damn the expense!!! Blast away!!! It won't be any more expensive than giving everyone health insurance.
well besides all of that, who cares as long as we get to see a big bada boom.
Now your talking.