Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th of July
4TH OF JULY

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence ?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

When they signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, ninewere farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his Ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown , Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters.
He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots.
:clap:
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
I hate to be a dick, really I do.. but something about these emails always rubs me the wrong way. At least this one is partially true.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/pricepaid.asp
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
Good job Sunshyne!!
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Either way to me it still doesn't matter, weather these stories are true or completely fabricated. We are supposed to be celebrating our freedom and everything that made it so. So even if any types of stories happened or not they still are responsible for our freedom, them and many others who fought in the war and were members of the insurgency to push the brits out of here. We celebrate that fact. So I say true or not let the tall tales fly, we should be proud of these men regardless. If you look back in the histories of many countries there are tales of greatness that are exaggerated. If you read the romance of the three kingdoms you will see it in Chinese history, if you look back at the tales of king Arthur I don't even have to go into detail about that and it is even debated if he was real, yet people believe in him. Hell there are stories of Davy Crocket that just can't be real and all of these things like that. It happens but so what regardless the truth or not they existed and they did what they did to bring us where we are today.

So we celebrate not only the signers of the declaration but the countless others who led us to where we are and gave their life for that fact, not to mention the many who have fought later on to keep our freedom from any other country.
[Image: AmericanFlag-Animated.gif]
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
The show John Adams gives a very good portrayel of what it was like for the men & women in this time.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
-Jiggy- Wrote:The show John Adams gives a very good portrayel of what it was like for the men & women in this time.

I only saw a few episodes, but you are correct Jiggy. It was an excellent series.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
I wasn't implying we shouldn't be proud of our heritage.. There's just something about these email forwards that rubs me the wrong way. It strikes me as propaganda meant to incite or inflate nationalism for a day or two. That's better than the stuff about Obama that was flying around during the election, but it still bugs me.

But either way.. a lot of men and women made a lot of sacrifices throughout our nation's history and we should never take that for granted.
Where would we be without the agitators of the world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?
professorpinasheep Wrote:I wasn't implying we shouldn't be proud of our heritage.. There's just something about these email forwards that rubs me the wrong way. It strikes me as propaganda meant to incite or inflate nationalism for a day or two. That's better than the stuff about Obama that was flying around during the election, but it still bugs me.

But either way.. a lot of men and women made a lot of sacrifices throughout our nation's history and we should never take that for granted.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the entire point of celebrating the 4th to inflate nationalism at least for one day?
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
zdunklee Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the entire point of celebrating the 4th to inflate nationalism at least for one day?

I guess that's one way of looking at. I see it from perspective like many Christians see Sunday or Christmas, though.. It's a day to highlight something that should constantly be a part of your life. I'm not saying celebrating is bad. I just dislike propagandizing a holiday.

I also used nationalism instead of patriotism for a reason:
Nationalism:
excessive patriotism; chauvinism.
the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one's own nation, viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.

Patriotism:
devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.

In any case, it's a silly argument. Perhaps I shouldnt've spouted about my hate for email forwards, but I was feeling a little chippy. :eh: This is all I'll have to say about the matter. :wave:
I am gonna agree with sheep on this point. Having the correct info would be nice. I dont want to say something about someone and not have it be the correct info. Basically it would make me pretty damn dumb
pants on the ground! pants on the ground!
professorpinasheep Wrote:I hate to be a dick, really I do.. but something about these emails always rubs me the wrong way. At least this one is partially true.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/pricepaid.asp

I had gotten it forwarded to me, and I figured some of it would be wrong. Being a history buff, i noticed a few things and amost didn't post it. However, i really just wanted to post something to remind people that there is a reason more than just hamburgers and fireworks that we celebrate. I don't mind that sheep brought up the snopes thing, I ususally hate email forwards too.