Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michigan Tax Dollars At Work
The fate of new state police headquarters in Lansing will remain in limbo for at least two weeks after House officials delayed a committee vote Thursday on funding for it.

State Rep. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said House Republican leadership informed him Thursday that deliberations on the issue likely would resume after a two-week break, which began today.

The House State Police and Military Affairs Subcommittee had been scheduled to take up the state police budget Thursday morning, but adjourned without reviewing it.

State Rep. Richard LeBlanc, D-Westland, committee chairman, said the matter was delayed because fiscal analysts are considering potential changes to the Senate bill.

Last week, the Senate voted 26-9 not to lease the new structure nearing completion at Kalamazoo Street and Grand Avenue for $3 million per year after some lawmakers said they could not justify the expense as the state prepares to lay off 100 troopers. It is costing developers Joel Ferguson and Gary Granger about $39 million to build, and the state has a 25-year lease with an option to buy it for $1.

"I think (House Democratic leaders) realized that many of their members are opposed to spending tax dollars for it at this time," Jones said. "I'm declaring victory that so far we've been able to stop this expensive lease when troopers are facing layoff."

In recent days, Michigan business organizations, including the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, have blasted the Senate action, saying the measure to terminate the lease sends the wrong message to the state's business community.

"Though I share some of the concerns raised about the project, I fear that the ramifications of backing out now are significant and may be more costly to our state in the long term," said state Rep. Joan Bauer, D-Lansing, a member of the House Appropriations Committee.

Critics of the project say it makes more sense for the state to continue to lease facilities for police headquarters from Michigan State University in East Lansing for $1 a year, although state officials say those facilities need substantial upgrades.

A state analysis shows the agency could stay in its existing facilities for 11 years for $39.3 million. By contrast, the state would spend $45.2 million on lease payments for the downtown Lansing building in the first 11 years.

Jones questions the amount of renovations needed for the current East Lansing headquarters, noting MSU now is considering other uses for the facilities in the expectation that state police will move out next year. The state has a lease to rent the facilities through 2030.

"We continue to consider and evaluate possible future uses for the facility, including growing and very positive opportunities related to economic development," said Terry Denbow, MSU's vice president of university relations.

For the full article, see Scott Davis, "Decision on state police HQ delayed; 2-week break for House interrupts deliberations", Lansing State Journal, June 26, 2009.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://blogpublic.lib.msu.edu/index.php/2009/06/26/state-police-headquarters-building-fundi?blog=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogpublic.lib.msu.edu/index.php ... ndi?blog=5</a><!-- m -->
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
speaking of Tax Dollars at work, anyone drive I-94 between Benton harbor and Kalamazoo?

they're putting up 3 strand high-tensile wire along the median to keep cars from crossing into on coming traffic. The issue is that now emergency vehicles can only turn around in designated areas, emergency workers can't cross the median on foot as easily. And as in a recent case, a car that would NOT have gone into on coming traffic nor cause major damage to itself (experts say) rolled over multiple times after bouncing off these wires and losing control.

There is a 5 mile stretch near Benton Harbor that in the last few years cost over a Million dollars to maintain due to sheared posts and rusty/broken wires.

Woohoo :thumbup:
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Why are prison detainees not working road construction?
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
cause they're idiots and would mess it up. and it'd have to be done again
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:speaking of Tax Dollars at work, anyone drive I-94 between Benton harbor and Kalamazoo?

they're putting up 3 strand high-tensile wire along the median to keep cars from crossing into on coming traffic. The issue is that now emergency vehicles can only turn around in designated areas, emergency workers can't cross the median on foot as easily. And as in a recent case, a car that would NOT have gone into on coming traffic nor cause major damage to itself (experts say) rolled over multiple times after bouncing off these wires and losing control.

There is a 5 mile stretch near Benton Harbor that in the last few years cost over a Million dollars to maintain due to sheared posts and rusty/broken wires.

Woohoo :thumbup:

They have these wires up on I94 in Minnesota and I think they actually do serve a purpose. I have seen cars up against it that would have definitly went to the other side into oncoming traffic.
pants on the ground! pants on the ground!
The issue i have is that i've been to 1 call as a fireman in our district where a car crossed the median. So it doesn't seem like there is a huge demand for it. Also they're planning to widen 94 in my area to three lanes...this will interfere and will have to be tore down in a few years. So there are 2 non-opinionated reasons. As for the opinions ,if I'm driving to work on the interstate and slide into the median now (pre-wires) i'm stuck, no damage to my truck, and probably deserve the cost of the wrecker as i was probably going to fast for conditions. But later (post wires) I'll possibly total my car and will cause damage to the wires resulting in MORE tax dollars to be spent. Also, what is to happen if I'm riding my motorcycle down the interstate, have a seizer or something happen and smack into the wires?...better bring the corriner with 3 hefty sacks cause i'll be in a few different pieces. I would prefer the concrete barriers, at least they are less maintenance and are moderately movable when the interstate gets widened.
Wiener Poopie Wrote:Why are prison detainees not working road construction?
Why give away jobs to people who can't reap the benefits of them when our unemployment is over 15%?
What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.
Let them build licence plates
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
The road crews would still be employed, instead of shovels they would be holding guns.
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:The issue i have is that i've been to 1 call as a fireman in our district where a car crossed the median. So it doesn't seem like there is a huge demand for it. Also they're planning to widen 94 in my area to three lanes...this will interfere and will have to be tore down in a few years. So there are 2 non-opinionated reasons. As for the opinions ,if I'm driving to work on the interstate and slide into the median now (pre-wires) i'm stuck, no damage to my truck, and probably deserve the cost of the wrecker as i was probably going to fast for conditions. But later (post wires) I'll possibly total my car and will cause damage to the wires resulting in MORE tax dollars to be spent. Also, what is to happen if I'm riding my motorcycle down the interstate, have a seizer or something happen and smack into the wires?...better bring the corriner with 3 hefty sacks cause i'll be in a few different pieces. I would prefer the concrete barriers, at least they are less maintenance and are moderately movable when the interstate gets widened.

They put them up on 131 south of GR as well, and they are putting up almost a 20 mile stretch on 96 between Lansing and Flint.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."