Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Podcast on Android phone
I know this is a long shot but has anyone gotten the podcast working on any of the podcasting apps for Android phones?

BeyondPod doesn't recognize the feed
FeedR recognizes the feed but always says there are no items

With both, I went to the browser and logged into fbhw.com without any effect. I can move the mp3s to my phone through the USB connection but it would be nicer if the phone pulled them down on it's own. Plus my company's firewall blocks the feed so I have to either get it on the 3G network or wait until I get home.

My phone is a T-Mobile MyTouch 3G if that matters.
I've been searching for this also...I have an HTC Hero and Google Listen just came out but I still have the same problem. I log in on the website and I get as far as the feed subscribing, but nothing shows up or downloads. None of the other pod catchers in the market work.

Anyone have any ideas??
I am trying to do the same thing, was great using google reader but the damn tech people decided to fuck that up.

Good to see i am not the only one here with an android phone Smile
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I'm still looking into it. A ghetto solution would be to write a program that pulls down the podcast, FTPs it to my personal web server, and creates a traditional RSS file that I use on my phone. I'd rather save that as a last resort, though.
It's a no go because of the way they are authenticating the request. When you hit the URL for the podcast, it checks for a cookie on your computer that was set when you logged into the VIP area on fbhw.com.

This doesn't work on the phone even if you log into the site there. BeyondPod has an option to include a username/pw but it wouldn't work unless they, meaning Piam (sp?), changed things on their end. My guess is iPhone/Pre users will have the same issue.

I'm going to have to just do my last resort from the previous post and keep the new URL to myself.
you can make a client for the phone if you know how to code. The sdk for android is open and easy to get. If you know how to make a simple podcast client for download directly to the phone you can make it work. I had emailed their customer support before because google reader used to work and now it doesn't.
What they do is log your IP when you log into the site and remember it. Then when you download from the podcast client they will check the IP of the client downloading the file. If it matches with a VIP account it works.

At least this is what I understand as far as it was explained to me. I don't think i am mistaken but hey I've misunderstood things before Tongue

but he did explain if the client doesnt use the IP address of the device it wont work. So I am guessing if you can make an android based program to download podcasts you could even connect to a wi-fi connection that you logged in with and be able to download from that using your android device.

Would be a lot better if they could come up with a specific client for VIP members. shouldn't be too hard for thier crack tech team to take care of.
It's not as simple as that. There are a number of podcasting apps on Android and none of them work with the FBHW feed because of how they are authenticating.

They don't need to make a new client, they just need to allow username/pw authentication in the podcast feed. Most of the podcasting apps have fields for that info and it would be just as secure as what they are doing now. The only problem I could see is how that would affect iTunes as I don't use it.
LimpBagel Wrote:It's not as simple as that. There are a number of podcasting apps on Android and none of them work with the FBHW feed because of how they are authenticating.

They don't need to make a new client, they just need to allow username/pw authentication in the podcast feed. Most of the podcasting apps have fields for that info and it would be just as secure as what they are doing now. The only problem I could see is how that would affect iTunes as I don't use it.

ah I havent really tried anything except for the first couple that came out before android had the cupcake upgrade and they just didnt really pull much except the text rss feeds
You should check out BeyondPod if you listen to other podcasts, then. It's like $7 for the full version but you can set different update schedules based on category, tell it to only download podcasts when you are on wifi, tell it to only download if the phone is on the charger, auto-delete old files, and a bunch of others.

There are some free ones also like CarCast but BeyondPod has a lot more features.
Well I got my workaround going tonight. I have a Windows web server that I use to host a few sites. I installed Juice on it and set it to automatically get the FBHW podcasts. Then I wrote a small console app that checks that download folder and creates a new XML file that points to the mp3s. I put the URL of that XML file in BeyondPod on my phone and then :thumbup:
Nice!
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
MyPod works marginally well too. Only problem is that you have to delete the feed everyday and reload it. For some reason, it fails to update properly.

Kind of a hassle, but at least it works.
They've fixed their podcast authentication, you can now use any RSS/Podcast app to get it. I personally use CarCast.