Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breast cancer shirt
Okay I was catching up on podcasts, and heard freebeer talking about the second base t shirt. well that got me looking around and yeah i think that second base thing is in bad taste, but this one pisses me off.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zazzle.com.au/breast_cancer_support_2nd_base_tshirt-235128657702603696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.zazzle.com.au/breast_cancer_ ... 7702603696</a><!-- m -->

I am all for fighting breast cancer, I have had an aunt who had it and she is now a survivor for over 10 years now i think.
well anyway I don't usually get offended by things really. Half the shirts at t-shirt hell are hilarious to me. However this is for something serious, and to place such an immature slogan as the one on this specific shirt for something like this is pretty damn offensive to me. why the fuck would you down the seriousness of breast cancer by even referring to the breasts as "boobies"

Seriously, that's like making an AT shirt and having it say "donate before the next kid start's to walk like a drunk."
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I think it's fucking stupid

Dick cancer: Help me safeguard BJ’s
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
why is this touchy subject?

I'd wear one of those shirts.

Poopie, how about....Help blow away prostate cancer.
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
I <3 Boobies.

Seriously, the only thing offensive about those shirts is that the proceeds only go toward breast cancer awareness instead of for looking for a cure.
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
krystal Wrote:I <3 Boobies.

Seriously, the only thing offensive about those shirts is that the proceeds only go toward breast cancer awareness instead of for looking for a cure.

proceeds go toward breast cancer awareness making more shirts and hiring more folks.
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
[Image: check_yourself_or_i_will_tshirt-p2352985...bu_400.jpg]
What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.
They’re very tasteless
I agree, while you can obviously make the argument that the intent is all good, there are better ways to do it (see: Livestrong bracelets and the lack of testicle references).
Sir, they're not going to allow you to...break the law
The reason I placed this in touchy subject is because it can be touchy. As stated the shirts are tasteless. They make lite of breast cancer, yet they want to raise awareness of how serious it is. It is counter-intuitive. If you make a joke about something you are trying to make serious you make it seem like a joke. Thats why it's touchy because I take it seriously, as many people do and I take offense to the fact that in trying to raise awareness they are making a joke of it.

To raise awareness they should keep with the pink ribbon, show pictures of victims of this disease, Put a number of the current count of survivors, or something showing how this can be. But instead they make a joke of it calling them boobies, or speaking of "second base". It's a shame they would make light of it. Plenty of people's lives have been effected by this, weather they had/have it, or are trying to be there to support a family member with it.
I always love grand valley's shirts that actually raise money for research. I have seen or have the following: Save Second Base, Check Your Rack (with deer antlers) then on the back Or I Will, I (Heart) Boobs, this year is apparently I Heart Boobs and on the back Fight Like a Girl. There are others but I can't remember them off the top of my head. If the one Free Beer saw was black with pink writing then it was more than likely a GVSU shirt.

They do this because college students are a lot more likely to buy them just for the saying, even tho that shouldn't be the reason, but it is for many.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
zdunklee Wrote:I always love grand valley's shirts that actually raise money for research. I have seen or have the following: Save Second Base, Check Your Rack (with deer antlers) then on the back Or I Will, I (Heart) Boobs, this year is apparently I Heart Boobs and on the back Fight Like a Girl. There are others but I can't remember them off the top of my head. If the one Free Beer saw was black with pink writing then it was more than likely a GVSU shirt.

They do this because college students are a lot more likely to buy them just for the saying, even tho that shouldn't be the reason, but it is for many.

That's exactly my point. The whole concept of making people aware of it and how bad it is. Instead it is becoming a collection of pointless shirts with goofy slogans.
Philly Mike Wrote:The reason I placed this in touchy subject is because it can be touchy. As stated the shirts are tasteless. They make lite of breast cancer, yet they want to raise awareness of how serious it is. It is counter-intuitive. If you make a joke about something you are trying to make serious you make it seem like a joke. Thats why it's touchy because I take it seriously, as many people do and I take offense to the fact that in trying to raise awareness they are making a joke of it.

To raise awareness they should keep with the pink ribbon, show pictures of victims of this disease, Put a number of the current count of survivors, or something showing how this can be. But instead they make a joke of it calling them boobies, or speaking of "second base". It's a shame they would make light of it. Plenty of people's lives have been effected by this, weather they had/have it, or are trying to be there to support a family member with it.

I see where you are coming from, yet I disagree totally. My mother has been fighting breast cancer for the past 3 years and through the pain of the double mastectomy, the rounds of VERY painful chemo, and the harsh radiation she made light of it the entire time. And I believe wholeheartedly that alone helped her pull through it. Her positive attitude and such were an inspiration to me through it all.

As far as the subject of shirts go, she has one she wears with a pink ribbon and it says "Save the Tatas" and she wears it proudly. So, why it may be touchy to you..people actually going through the battle might enjoy a bit of humor or lightheartedness in the midst of the deluge of pain and sickness they are going through. Any positive angles or anything to get them to smile through this all is more than welcomed in my book.

Even I sport a pink ribbon tattoo on my arm and never have regretted getting it.

edit: and we gave her a pair of pink boxing gloves last year at a benefit for her. "Fight Like a Girl"? I say hell yes.
boaz Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:The reason I placed this in touchy subject is because it can be touchy. As stated the shirts are tasteless. They make lite of breast cancer, yet they want to raise awareness of how serious it is. It is counter-intuitive. If you make a joke about something you are trying to make serious you make it seem like a joke. Thats why it's touchy because I take it seriously, as many people do and I take offense to the fact that in trying to raise awareness they are making a joke of it.

I see where you are coming from, yet I disagree totally. My mother has been fighting breast cancer for the past 3 years and through the pain of the double mastectomy, the rounds of VERY painful chemo, and the harsh radiation she made light of it the entire time. And I believe wholeheartedly that alone helped her pull through it. Her positive attitude and such were an inspiration to me through it all.

As far as the subject of shirts go, she has one she wears with a pink ribbon and it says "Save the Tatas" and she wears it proudly. So, why it may be touchy to you..people actually going through the battle might enjoy a bit of humor or lightheartedness in the midst of the deluge of pain and sickness they are going through. Any positive angles or anything to get them to smile through this all is more than welcomed in my book.

Even I sport a pink ribbon tattoo on my arm and never have regretted getting it.

edit: and we gave her a pair of pink boxing gloves last year at a benefit for her. "Fight Like a Girl"? I say hell yes.

I have to agree with Boaz, I think that it isn't trying to make light of breast cancer at all...honestly do you think a catchy saying on a shirt or a simple pink ribbon will stick in someone's mind more? I'll go with the shirt every time. I see pink ribbons at weddings and they don't remind me of a terrible illness.

I do however hate the people who sell anything for breast cancer "awareness" that doesn't actually fund research, because who cares how many people are aware if the money doesn't help try and solve the problem?
Hey whatever. I may be wrong, but it is just how I feel. To me it just seems to water down the concept of bringing awareness to it. These shirts are supposed to get people to understand the disease, and to get them to try to put effort and money towards the cause. I do not see how saying "save the boobies" could possibly bring someone who knows very little about breast cancer into putting an effort towards it. I can see how a shirt like that would get someone who knows little to laugh and disregard the whole cause. Yes people with the disease may think it's funny and whatnot, but they already know about the disease, and if a survivor long enough they donate time and money towards it. However if someone knows little about it they will not take it serious unless they see how horrible this disease can be.

My point is that it waters down the whole concept of bringing it to the attention of those who know little or nothing about it.
It’s a tasteless way to makes light of a serious situation IMO
Philly Mike Wrote:Hey whatever. I may be wrong, but it is just how I feel. To me it just seems to water down the concept of bringing awareness to it. These shirts are supposed to get people to understand the disease, and to get them to try to put effort and money towards the cause. I do not see how saying "save the boobies" could possibly bring someone who knows very little about breast cancer into putting an effort towards it. I can see how a shirt like that would get someone who knows little to laugh and disregard the whole cause. Yes people with the disease may think it's funny and whatnot, but they already know about the disease, and if a survivor long enough they donate time and money towards it. However if someone knows little about it they will not take it serious unless they see how horrible this disease can be.

My point is that it waters down the whole concept of bringing it to the attention of those who know little or nothing about it.

I don't believe those shirts have anything to do with getting people to understand the disease, only getting money to research a cure. No matter what medium is used no amount of items, like all the pink stuff being sold in stores currently, or the ribbons, or the shirts are going to get people to understand the disease if they don't want too. But it just might get them to give some money to help fight it. I myself don't really care to read about it or understand it at all, just support research for fighting it (like pretty much every other disease) because I'm not a doctor or scientist and don't need to worry about understanding it.
from what i've gathered, those shirts don't donate to research they sold to promote awareness. Which could be, not saying for certain, simply a for profit venture. These folks may just pay their simple 'dues' to get the rights to use pink in that fashion and then sell shirts for profit.

It's a support thing, wearers are being supportive with a sense of humor. The humor is giving it legs, and getting people to wear the shirts that probably normally wouldn't.

I see nothing wrong with the shirts themselves, but don't approve of the money not going directly for research.
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:from what i've gathered, those shirts don't donate to research they sold to promote awareness. Which could be, not saying for certain, simply a for profit venture. These folks may just pay their simple 'dues' to get the rights to use pink in that fashion and then sell shirts for profit.

It's a support thing, wearers are being supportive with a sense of humor. The humor is giving it legs, and getting people to wear the shirts that probably normally wouldn't.

I see nothing wrong with the shirts themselves, but don't approve of the money not going directly for research.

That's why I buy the GVSU ones, they go directly to research and not just for awareness. There are plenty of other items people sell for simply awareness, which I agree is stupid...do something good with the money otherwise awareness doesn't mean anything.
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:from what i've gathered, those shirts don't donate to research they sold to promote awareness. Which could be, not saying for certain, simply a for profit venture. These folks may just pay their simple 'dues' to get the rights to use pink in that fashion and then sell shirts for profit.

Maybe sell t-shirts raising awareness about there awareness scheme.