Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
request for an android phone app
Well I remember some time ago they were talking about an iPhone app they were having made for them. Seeing as there are more people than just me that have an android based phone, and with more android phones on the way, especially the verizon droid that is directly attacking the iPhone. Maybe they could get an android app too. It shouldn't be too much more work than the iPhone app that will be worked on (or has already been I haven't listened in a while so I don't know).
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I think I'm going to take a shot at this. I don't know what they are planning in the iPhone app but I have some good ideas and have been looking for something relatively simple to use to learn to do Android programming.
I also have an Android phone (Hero!!) and I would love an app!
So, what would the App do, exactly? Just download the Podcast, or more than that?

<-- does not have an App for that.
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
well they were talking about a streaming app for the iPhone. That's what i was referring to. but the download the podcast would be a nice bonus too.
This will be my first Android app so I figured the first version should be pretty simple.

-Stream the show from GRD
-Call the show
-Email the show
-Go to the website
-Go to the spite board

Downloading the podcast won't be possible unless they change the way they authenticate the podcast on their end. I will email them about it after the above list is done.

I'll take requests also but no guarantees on if it actually gets added. The app will be free, of course.
how about a link directly to the board chat too. it works good on android

and i like the GRD stream idea. it is better than the one from the freebeerandhotwings.com stream.

if you want a good url for the GRD stream this links directly to the asx file

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://media.streamads.com/clientdata/regent/asx/WGRD.asx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://media.streamads.com/clientdata/r ... x/WGRD.asx</a><!-- m -->

one problem though. .asx doesn't run on android, so if you know or can find a way to get a codec that will work in the app that would probably be the only way.
I wish I had an android phone so I could help with development...
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
lol i wish i had enough sense to actually work with the SDK

well 0rz you could always just download the SDK it has an android emulator on it.

and for testing, well you have a few people on here who have a couple of different android phones too Smile

I know there is at least a G1 and a hero on here
My phone is a mytouch 3g. Somebody please get the Droid Big Grin
LimpBagel Wrote:My phone is a mytouch 3g. Somebody please get the Droid Big Grin

I looked up on it a little... i want a droid.

but i have to wait about a year and a half because of my tmobile contract.
Update: I finally started on the app today and got the Call and Email functions working. I started looking into getting the stream working and I don't know if it's going to happen. It's like Philly Mike said, .asx doesn't work on Android and it seems like that's what all the stations are using.

While I continue to look into that, I figured I would also pull in the last 3 tweets made by FBHW and add the web links.

There is a hacky way to get streaming to work but it involves downloading a program to your PC and basically streaming from there. That would have to be a last resort.

EDIT: It looks like there is an app in the Market called Stream Furious. They say you can add custom URLs for radio stations in their for pay version. More to come.
I just got the Droid. Amazing phone, but haven't been able to find anything pertaining to radio apps. Would be nice to have the ability to get updates whenever Steve changes the website vids or audio.
Sir, they're not going to allow you to...break the law
I've got a rough version of the app right now but I'm going back to MI for the holidays and won't get much more done on it until after the New Year. I'm hoping to have a beta version ready around the middle of January with the Twitter feed and the contact methods. Still working on live streaming and podcast downloads.

Live streaming is going to be a pain just because of the different codecs involved. I'm not looking to run a stream off my personal web server. Podcasting could be done if some things were changed on FBHW's side. I emailed them about it and hopefully they are forwarding it to the tech guy.

I'll probably release the app here a few weeks before I put it on the Market. I'm also open to feature requests. Hopefully they are something I can automate or crowdsource.