Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A challenge for the New Year!
Inspired by the Holiday Break-Ins, the last 2 Christmases, my wife and I have decided that our gift to eachother will be a donation to our local food pantry. We spoke to them before the first Christmas that we donated and asked them what items they don't get enough donations of. They told us that personal care items such as soap, shampoo, toilet paper, tooth brushes, toothpaste, etc. were the ones they don't get often enough. We were told that the personal care items could not be purchased with food stamps but many people don't know that. Since then we have donated toilet paper at Christmas along with baby wipes and diapers, but my challenge involves what we do the rest of the year.

Every week when we go grocery shopping, we put a $1 or $2 item in our cart along with our normal groceries. We barely notice these items being added to our normal bill so it's pretty painless. Each week we put a tube of AIM toothpaste, a stick of generic deodorant, a generic toothbrush, feminine products, shampoo, soap or anything else that is easy to not notice on our bill, into our cart. We then collect them for 6 months and then donate them to our local food pantry.

The challenge to you all, if you can afford it (I know that some cannot right now) is to throw that low priced item in with your normal groceries and donate them to your local food pantry or charity of your choice. My wife and I have never gotten as much joy from receiving presents from eachother as we have when we donate to our pantry and we can see that the people running it are so grateful to get the items they so desperately need.

To those who accept the challenge, good for you!!!

To those who can't afford to take the challenge, I completely understand and I hope the New Year brings you some relief.

To those who choose not to, I understand but encourage you to consider it in the future.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!!!
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
That's awesome!!
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Agreed, nice work.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
That's a fantastic idea. I'll have to tuck it away in my memory bank for once life expenses ease up a little bit.