Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For podcasters - I have some questions
How big is the show usually (in MB) and how quickly is it usually updated?
It is pretty much updated as soon as the segment is over, there are always 16 segments and as far as the total MB, im not sure?
For today, Tuesday, all of the podcasts came out to 4 hours, and 55.7 MB.

There aren't always 16 segments, as they often leave off the 16th local segment, though I wish they wouldn't.

1-3 of the segments are usually uploaded after they go off the air during commercials. For instance, you can usually get the first hour of the show sometime between 6 and 7 or so.
GOOD ANSWERS!!!!
How do you find the Podcast on Itunes....what do you search? because I cant find it for the life of me.
Type in "Free Beer" on the podcast section of the itunes store and it will come up. I just buy the podcast and they link you to the actual RSS Feed (iTunes is just a program that pulls segments from the RSS feed). When you actually subscribe, they show up as soon as Zane posts them, and they don't get screwed up like they do in itunes. If you set the RSS feed to automatically download the segments, they are saved to as folder as soon as he posts them.

Zane asked listeners a couple weeks ago if they wanted the local (16th) break, and everyone said yes, and he's posted them every day since then. With the exception of one day where the local break was like 2 seconds long.
Yea i searched Free Beer and it brought up nothing. i must be Itunes retarded. i never use it. i'll just wait for the bro to get home and figure it out.
Also, semi-related - having the podcast is a great way to introduce new listeners to the show. Sometimes when a bit is absolutely hilarious, I'll get home and replay it for my wife who only really listens during her commute to work in the morning. Plus when one of the guys says something completely incriminating (especially when taken out of context) you'll always have a copy of it that you can have some fun with.

I've worked on a couple mash-ups, but none really ended up as strong in reality as they had in my head, but I've kept every podcast file I've gotten. It's my own personal "best of" library.

Someday I should get around to burning them to CD.
For anybody who podcasts, and wants to edit some of the audio, but doesn't know a good program to use, I highly suggest Audacity. Totally free, and can do many of the same things that the expensive programs do.
potthole Wrote:For anybody who podcasts, and wants to edit some of the audio, but doesn't know a good program to use, I highly suggest Audacity. Totally free, and can do many of the same things that the expensive programs do.

I agree. If you have access to Adobe *cough cough*, Soundboard is becoming pretty nice as it grows. Granted, it's not free, and in my opinion not as good as Audacity, but I have the whole CS3 suite so I use it some time.
This is a usefull thread, I was wondering if the local segments were in it. Those are some of the best parts of the show.

even the moments they use in between right after the news and before they go back to the main show are pretty damn funny sometimes too, the news brings up some funny topics.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Search "FreeBeer" without the space. i just did it and it worked, and with a space it didn't work.
You really should pay for those podcasts. Just my .02.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:You really should pay for those podcasts. Just my .02.
We did, but that idiot Dean never set up a system to notify people when their subscription ended, even though we asked. Then he apparently just cut everyone off because they weren't paid up. Didn't tell us about that, either. I don't know why MEDIA companies that own shows like FB&HW can't figure out how to use the intertubes to their advantage. They should set up websites and podcasts for all their talent, and pimp the hell out of 'em.
Zig Wrote:For today, Tuesday, all of the podcasts came out to 4 hours, and 55.7 MB.

There aren't always 16 segments, as they often leave off the 16th local segment, though I wish they wouldn't.

1-3 of the segments are usually uploaded after they go off the air during commercials. For instance, you can usually get the first hour of the show sometime between 6 and 7 or so.

Mine always end up a little more than 100+ MBs. How do you get yours compressed down to 50s? Assuming we are both using iTunes.
buchholz Wrote:Yea i searched Free Beer and it brought up nothing. i must be Itunes retarded. i never use it. I'll just wait for the bro to get home and figure it out.

no to get the pod cast you have to goto www.freebeeerandhotwings.com and look under shop.

if you get it off tunes your not helping the show at all and that feed was posted by some dick head who is/was ripping off the show.
i think dean found out who he was and ended his pod cast.
$50 for a years worth of this show is a deal so pony up the cash!!!
not trying to be a dick myself, I just enjoy these guys as do most of the rest of you..

is anyone else having trouble with the pod cast i seem to miss random breaks like on Monday's pod cast i was missing breaks 6 & 7
and today WED 6 25 i was missing 1,2,,5,6,7,9,11,13,14
is this a problem for anyone else if so please let me know
Quote:We did, but that idiot Dean never set up a system to notify people when their subscription ended, even though we asked. Then he apparently just cut everyone off because they weren't paid up. Didn't tell us about that, either. I don't know why MEDIA companies that own shows like FB&HW can't figure out how to use the intertubes to their advantage. They should set up websites and podcasts for all their talent, and pimp the hell out of 'em.

I asked Dean if we could set up a recurring payment so I wouldn't have to worry about my podcast expiring. He replied, "No, that's not possible because we use PayPal". I then sent him a link to PayPal subscriptions.

It's the first google result: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/xcl/rec/subscr-intro-outside">https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... ro-outside</a><!-- m -->
predsfan Wrote:Mine always end up a little more than 100+ MBs. How do you get yours compressed down to 50s? Assuming we are both using iTunes.
I have no idea what's causing the difference there. I've never done anything special as far as I know.
if anyone has had the same problem that i did with missing breaks in the podcast.
if you delete the podcast but keep the files,then re add the podcast it should fix the problem it seems to have done the trick for me.
i did have to use the advanced tab in itunes using the feed i was given by dean from the website
Philly Mike Wrote:This is a usefull thread, I was wondering if the local segments were in it. Those are some of the best parts of the show.

even the moments they use in between right after the news and before they go back to the main show are pretty damn funny sometimes too, the news brings up some funny topics.
I missed where Zane asked about it somehow, but it seems that grapelady was right and he's started including the local 16th segment every day. This pleases me.
And they do (at least usually, maybe always now) include the traffic and news and such that comes before the main show.
Zane asked in the description area of one of the 16th shows if podcasters in other areas liked that segment. I'd imagine he got a lot of emails saying "hell yes", and probably a lot like mine that said "eff them, I wanna hear it".
Hey podcasters! How long does it usually take for them to send you the podcasting link? I subscribed Tuesday morning but haven't received my link yet. Thanks!
That's what she said.
Allyson Wrote:Hey podcasters! How long does it usually take for them to send you the podcasting link? I subscribed Tuesday morning but haven't received my link yet. Thanks!
It takes a couple days, usually. Of course, if you live farther away, it might take longer.
Allyson Wrote:Hey podcasters! How long does it usually take for them to send you the podcasting link? I subscribed Tuesday morning but haven't received my link yet. Thanks!

Real answer is: Whenever Dean gets around to it. Good luck with that.
Mud Room Donna Wrote:

Real answer is: Whenever Dean gets around to it. Good luck with that.
That's kinda what I was saying.