Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spelling on the board
In another thread someone wrote

sleazykeyz Wrote:
7kaos7 Wrote:What Don Imus said was disrespectful but this is not the problem here. The problem is that if we take him off the air for what he said or will say then were do we draw the line. At cuss words, raciest, or sexist comments? How about every time some ones feelings are hurt. Just last week Zane was sexist agents women. Now don't get me wrong i am not one of those thin skin a-holes. I think you should be able to say what you want. Should Zane be next? How far dose this go? How much free speech can we afford to lose because someone might not agree or like what someone said. Personally i don't like Imus but i can change the station.

the very second you spell the word AGAINST wrong, your opinion no longer counts. sorry, try again.

Is spelling really that big of a deal to all of you?
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I have more of a problem with the all caps, run-on sentences with no punctuation and grammar that would make your mother cry.
Derek Wrote:I have more of a problem with the all caps, run-on sentences with no punctuation and grammar that would make your mother cry.

I would have to confess to being guilty to doing that a lot.
You should take the time and make sure what you write is correct. When someone has to stop and figure out what you mean to write, it loses the flow.
Thank GOD you can modify your posts. I think i have corrected most of mind after i post it and try to read it myself.
toddlerfondler Wrote:Thank GOD you can modify your posts. I think i have corrected most of mind after i post it and try to read it myself.

Seriously now?
Derek Wrote:
toddlerfondler Wrote:Thank GOD you can modify your posts. I think i have corrected most of mind after i post it and try to read it myself.

Seriously now?

ROTFLOL !

Yes, seriously, spelling and grammar count. Damn people, you got a free 13 year education, put it to use !
Wowie Groovie !
Jesus what are you the spelling police? Get a life man or add something of interest to the forums. Spell check anyone?
Titan ! Wrote:
Derek Wrote:Seriously now?

ROTFLOL !

Yes, seriously, spelling and grammar count. Damn people, you got a free 13 year education, put it to use !

You get what you pay for!
powerface Wrote:Jesus what are you the spelling police? Get a life man or add something of interest to the forums. Spell check anyone?

Firefox has built in spell-check
Everyone makes the occasional mistake, so that's no big deal. It's the "text speak" that drives me up the wall. I'll skip a post entirely as soon as I run into "wot r u guys going 2 do 2day?"
hotzester Wrote:Everyone makes the occasional mistake, so that's no big deal. It's the "text speak" that drives me up the wall. I'll skip a post entirely as soon as I run into "wot r u guys going 2 do 2day?"

Effing teenage girls
Derek Wrote:
powerface Wrote:Jesus what are you the spelling police? Get a life man or add something of interest to the forums. Spell check anyone?

Firefox has built in spell-check

I was going to add that. I'm glad that I'm not the only Firefox pimp.

Internet Explorer blows! Get Firefox people!
Go fuck yourself. Hard.

I'm a big spelling freak, but on message boards or in IM it does not bother me, now if we're talking about sending correspondence to someone on a business level . . .that's where I get particular.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Queenie Wrote:

I'm a big spelling freak, but on message boards or in IM it does not bother me, now if we're talking about sending correspondence to someone on a business level . . .that's where I get particular.

IM and txt messaging you can get away with it, but I try to consider message boards a little more formal?
Derek Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:I'm a big spelling freak, but on message boards or in IM it does not bother me, now if we're talking about sending correspondence to someone on a business level . . .that's where I get particular.

IM and txt messaging you can get away with it, but I try to consider message boards a little more formal?

You are probably right . . . I'll try to watch my spelling and grammar, but just let me know if I ever get out of line, alright? Wink
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
I hate when I mispell or make typos, but I don't really care when others do it. The only exception, as noted elsewhere, is that you can't call someone stupid and mispell the word you're using to insult him. Other than that, who cares? It's not like we're writing for posterity.
dasbow Wrote:I hate when I mispell or make typos, but I don't really care when others do it. The only exception, as noted elsewhere, is that you can't call someone stupid and mispell the word you're using to insult him. Other than that, who cares? It's not like we're writing for posterity.
I couldn't have put it better myself.
dasbow Wrote:I hate when I mispell or make typos, but I don't really care when others do it. The only exception, as noted elsewhere, is that you can't call someone stupid and mispell the word you're using to insult him. Other than that, who cares? It's not like we're writing for posterity.

For the record. There are 2 s's in "misspell"
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:

You know, I went to dictionary.com before I posted to make sure I got it right and still f'd it up. I am such a tool.
Titan ! Wrote:

I don't think dasbow cared whether or not they misspelled "misspelled" but on if they misspelled stupid.
dasbow Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:For the record. There are 2 s's in "misspell"
You know, I went to dictionary.com before I posted to make sure I got it right and still f'd it up. I am such a tool.

Nah, don't beat yourself up too bad about it, the only reason I _know_ that word is because, back in the last millenium when I was in college I was an education major for a few semesters, and in order to continue on in the program, one of the tests was a 350 word spelling test, you had to get a 98% or retake the test. I only missed 3 words, and one of them was misspell
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
dasbow Wrote:You know, I went to dictionary.com before I posted to make sure I got it right and still f'd it up. I am such a tool.

Nah, don't beat yourself up too bad about it, the only reason I _know_ that word is because, back in the last millenium when I was in college I was an education major for a few semesters, and in order to continue on in the program, one of the tests was a 350 word spelling test, you had to get a 98% or retake the test. I only missed 3 words, and one of them was misspell
I don't care that I got it wrong. I care that I took the time to look it up and still got it wrong.
So who
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
[quote="wienerpoopie"]So who
Just use Firefox, it underlines your misspelled words!
It does drive me nuts to see incorrect spelling, I think mainly thanks to all the journalism courses I took in college, but I try to not get after people about it, unless it's really bad. Shoot, I make my fair share of mistakes too, so there's no need for the pot to be calling the kettle black.
potthole Wrote:Shoot, I make my fair share of mistakes too, so there's no need for the pot to be calling the kettle black.

Oh that was good pothole!
Firefox's universal spell-checking gives me boners.

If your poor writing makes it difficult for people to read and understand what you're saying, then it's unacceptable. If I can read what's being said, but notice a fair share of mistakes, then I will make (possibly unfair) assumptions regarding the person's intelligence or lack thereof. If there's a few little mistakes every now and then, then it's no big deal at all. Unless they are trying to make a very intelligent point, or calling someone else stupid, or correcting someone else at the time.
Philly Mike Wrote:In another thread someone wrote

sleazykeyz Wrote:the very second you spell the word AGAINST wrong, your opinion no longer counts. sorry, try again.

Is spelling really that big of a deal to all of you?

Well, today's kids text so much that they will not know how to spell. It is amazing how little my 15 year old daughter knows without it being in text form. SPELLING? HA! As important as I think it is here it is probably not needed.
Wat u mean no 1 likes it when ppl talk like this u suk ppl godddd who cares how u spel it dont mattr.

I'm just kidding. ;-) I hate it when people talk like that. I find myself talking a little like that over text messages but definitely not that bad.