Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeeland, Hudsonville
I'm a podcaster so I was a little late in hearing them talk about people getting mad at you for mowing your lawn on sundays in Zeeland or Hudsonville. If I got asked to stop mowing my lawn 'because it's Sunday' I would go ape shit on them. How offensive can these stupid mother f'ers be?! Sorry I just needed to vent about that, I think it is ridiculous.
Ahh, I am originally from Holland, and in the neighborhood my friend lived in, if you mowed on Sunday, you would be looked down upon for months
Grew up in Hudsonville, and I had friends who'd get yelled at by complete strangers as they were taking their dog for a walk on a Sunday afternoon.

All depends on what part of that town you live in, though. If you're on the north side of H-ville, you don't really have to deal with that kind of stuff. On the south side of Hudsonville, which is the "older" part of town (both in terms of population and historical age), you'll run into people like that.

Man, I remember when the Family Fare in town opened up on Sundays for the first time, when I was in high school. I thought there'd be a riot.
This makes me want to by a lot there.
I would show up every Sunday morning, and mow until I could mow no more. Then I would go home.
ahole Wrote:This makes me want to by a lot there.
I would show up every Sunday morning, and mow until I could mow no more. Then I would go home.

That's not spiteful enough. I would buy a lot, run down to home depot and pick up some extra help, and on sunday start building something, then the following sunday take the entire day to tear it all down, then do it all over again. Hardcore manual labor would be much more infuriating to these folks than just lawncare im sure.
I have a uncle who lives in Zeeland and they sent him a notice in the mail (with a picture) telling him to move his camper out of his driveway or face penalties. HE HAD IT THERE FOR 2hrs unloading this! Lol he was heated!
Damn Hudsonvillians wanting to keep their neighborhoods quiet on a Sunday!!!

BURN 'EM!! BURN 'EM ALL!!@#
Another possible solution would be to stop mowing your lawn entirely. If you got complaints, you could tell them that you only have free time on Sundays and make 'em choose between mowing on the sabbath and crazy jungle lawn.
I live in Hudsonville and plan on mowing my lawn this Sunday. If anyone says anything to me, it's on. Not to mention my neighbor across the street is not all there in the head and is constantly telling me what to do, how to drive, ect, ect, ect. I'm just waiting for him to tell me to not mow my lawn on Sunday. That'll be the straw that broke the camel's back.
Zig Wrote:Another possible solution would be to stop mowing your lawn entirely. If you got complaints, you could tell them that you only have free time on Sundays and make 'em choose between mowing on the sabbath and crazy jungle lawn.

HAHA love this idea...Crazy religious zealots....
mow your grass in Holland on a sunday and you get shunned for months.
Jo Wrote:mow your grass in Holland on a sunday and you get shunned for months.
This makes me want to go find a lawn in Holland and mow it just for Sh*ts and Giggles.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
Better yet, just go to the O.G. Holland and smoke some grass instead of new jack holland and mowing grass.
I live in Holland and any of you are welcome to come to my house and mow my grass on Sunday. I'll even let you use my mower and I won't charge you a dime!
I bought a house in Holland about 5 yrs ago and live near a church (big surprise) and folks from that church park on my street for services. I can actually 1st hand state that I had someone walk up to me at 12:30pm on a sunday, stand on the sidewalk until I stopped mowing & turned off the mower to tell me that what I was doing was a sin and that they were going to pray for me. In hindsight, I would have loved to gone off on the guy, but a) he had two kids in tow with him and b) honestly I was completely shocked that this happened. I had thought it was some kind of dutch urban legend.
madcap95 Wrote:I bought a house in Holland about 5 yrs ago and live near a church (big surprise) and folks from that church park on my street for services. I can actually 1st hand state that I had someone walk up to me at 12:30pm on a sunday, stand on the sidewalk until I stopped mowing & turned off the mower to tell me that what I was doing was a sin and that they were going to pray for me. In hindsight, I would have loved to gone off on the guy, but a) he had two kids in tow with him and b) honestly I was completely shocked that this happened. I had thought it was some kind of dutch urban legend.

"dutch urban legend". nice.
Mister Five Wrote:I live in Holland and any of you are welcome to come to my house and mow my grass on Sunday. I'll even let you use my mower and I won't charge you a dime!

Same here! I live near Holland Christian High School. Come on, let's do it, come mow!
We're looking at properties around Jenison. If we find one, I'll have a yard party on a Sunday and you guys can come over and mow the lawn, trim the bushes, do the edging et al.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Biff, you wanna sell your joint to the wiff and I if you guys move? Wink
Mister Five Wrote:I live in Holland and any of you are welcome to come to my house and mow my grass on Sunday. I'll even let you use my mower and I won't charge you a dime!
Lol, you're a smart one. I'll have to watch out for you.
potthole Wrote:Biff, you wanna sell your joint to the wiff and I if you guys move? Wink

Absolutely!
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:We're looking at properties around Jenison. If we find one, I'll have a yard party on a Sunday and you guys can come over and mow the lawn, trim the bushes, do the edging et al.

I'm in! Better yet, I will bring a keg, everyone should accept us then, right?
Derek Wrote:
Admin Wrote:We're looking at properties around Jenison. If we find one, I'll have a yard party on a Sunday and you guys can come over and mow the lawn, trim the bushes, do the edging et al.

I'm in! Better yet, I will bring a keg, everyone should accept us then, right?
I think including bongs and strippers would help your cause tremendously!
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
dino Wrote:
Derek Wrote:I'm in! Better yet, I will bring a keg, everyone should accept us then, right?
I think including bongs and strippers would help your cause tremendously!

Where the hell are you going to find strippers on a Sunday in Jenison?
Derek Wrote:
dino Wrote:I think including bongs and strippers would help your cause tremendously!

Where the hell are you going to find strippers on a Sunday in Jenison?

At church?
I think Jenison was chill compared to Hudsonville. When I moved out to Michigan from the Air Force, my wife showed me the 13 churches that range from chicago drive all the way up Baldwin ave. Anyways, I remember having people over constantly at our apt. in Jenison and people had no problems....Hudsonville was a different story....weird...just pass the baseball fields, the neighborhood was different on the hudsonville side......
drdirtybandage Wrote:I think Jenison was chill compared to Hudsonville. When I moved out to Michigan from the Air Force, my wife showed me the 13 churches that range from chicago drive all the way up Baldwin ave. Anyways, I remember having people over constantly at our apt. in Jenison and people had no problems....Hudsonville was a different story....weird...just pass the baseball fields, the neighborhood was different on the hudsonville side......

You had issues on that side of Hudsonville? I grew up on that side of town, and never had people give me crap for doing stuff on a Sunday. As for my friends who lived down on the southern side of the city...
drdirtybandage Wrote:I think Jenison was chill compared to Hudsonville. When I moved out to Michigan from the Air Force, my wife showed me the 13 churches that range from chicago drive all the way up Baldwin ave. Anyways, I remember having people over constantly at our apt. in Jenison and people had no problems....Hudsonville was a different story....weird...just pass the baseball fields, the neighborhood was different on the hudsonville side......

That street is in the guiness book of records for the most churches on a street or in a couple miles or something (girlfriends family lives there, she showed me that same thing for the first time)
Derek Wrote:

That street is in the guiness book of records for the most churches on a street or in a couple miles or something (girlfriends family lives there, she showed me that same thing for the first time)

Yeah it was just insane seeing all those churches. I remember one night driving down Baldwin at 2am from work and I got pulled over and so I pulled over to the closest driveway....which was one of the churches.
potthole Wrote:

You had issues on that side of Hudsonville? I grew up on that side of town, and never had people give me crap for doing stuff on a Sunday. As for my friends who lived down on the southern side of the city...

Oh, I wouldn't call it issues but man it was insanely quiet around in Arbor Heights. The only thing that probably caused a bigger ruckus over the weekend was watching the soccer games in my backyard every saturday morning. After that, dead silence except when I had people over to play cards...
madcap95 Wrote:I bought a house in Holland about 5 yrs ago and live near a church (big surprise) and folks from that church park on my street for services. I can actually 1st hand state that I had someone walk up to me at 12:30pm on a sunday, stand on the sidewalk until I stopped mowing & turned off the mower to tell me that what I was doing was a sin and that they were going to pray for me. In hindsight, I would have loved to gone off on the guy, but a) he had two kids in tow with him and b) honestly I was completely shocked that this happened. I had thought it was some kind of dutch urban legend.
Well as a lifer from Holland, you should have followed were they went. People like that around here usually go out for lunch. I work in a nursing home and I get weird looks when they find out I work on sundays. But those same people would be pissed if no one was there to take care of grandma on sundays! dutch urban legend sticks with the christian reformers. Rock band churches around here are laid back.
I don't think its right that they yell at people or shun them. However, you have to respect their opinions. That dosen't mean listen to them yell at you because its not their place to judge people. I am a Christian, and in the Bible it says to rest on the sabbath (sunday) i.e. not do any work. So our family won't mow or do "work", we will wash our cars and stuff tho
kaboobie92 Wrote:I don't think its right that they yell at people or shun them. However, you have to respect their opinions. That dosen't mean listen to them yell at you because its not their place to judge people. I am a Christian, and in the Bible it says to rest on the sabbath (sunday) i.e. not do any work. So our family won't mow or do "work", we will wash our cars and stuff tho

Another reason to be atheist
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
wienerpoopie Wrote:
kaboobie92 Wrote:I don't think its right that they yell at people or shun them. However, you have to respect their opinions. That dosen't mean listen to them yell at you because its not their place to judge people. I am a Christian, and in the Bible it says to rest on the sabbath (sunday) i.e. not do any work. So our family won't mow or do "work", we will wash our cars and stuff tho

Another reason to be atheist
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Im more of a rocks n
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
[quote="wienerpoopie"]Im more of a rocks n
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Okay I don't understand this. I thought only the Seventh-Day Adventists gave a shit about the sabbath.

If I was mowing my lawn and some church type said that to me I would A) Ask for chapter and verse and B) Tell them I'm an atheist anyway so I don't care even if it does say it in there.

Who cares if you're shunned by the whole block. I don't even know the names of the people who live next to me in my apartment building. This isn't the 1950's where you borrow a cup of sugar or have lemonade stands.
Here is what you do:

Ask them if they went to church today. If they did, ask them why they made their pastor work on the Sabbath.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.

Well if washing your car isn't work, why don't you come over to my house Sunday? Just another example of twisting the bible to say what you want.

The Bible also tells parents to stone rebellious children to death and demands ritual animal sacrifice. Women undergoing their period are "unclean" and must ritually bathe. It says that bats are birds, rabbits chew cud, and snakes eat dust. Also it says that it is a sin to wear a garment with more than one kind of thread, to shave, and to eat shellfish.

But I'm guessing you don't follow THOSE parts of the Bible, do you? ;D ;D ;D