Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about a Family Guy episode
The GR local FOX affiliate has episodes of Family Guy on @ 6PM. On Friday they had the episode where Brian and Stewie go to Aspen, CO to rescue Rupert. (Woulda been a great place to insert a Dumb & Dumber or a Better Off Dead reference) There's a sequence where Stewie does a dance number with a live action Gene Kelly. It looks like it was done with an animated character from the get-go. Then they edited out that character and replaced it with Stewie. Does anyone know the context of the Gene Kelly clip and where it came from?

On a side note, there's a potential sound drop in this episode that I don't think the guys have. Meg is driving Peter around and she slams on the brakes and another car rear-ends her. The driver shouts at her, "What the hell is wrong with you, you dumb bimbo!?"
i was watching it too. it's from the movie "Anchor's Aweigh". i believe a little girl is dancing with him in the original.
It wasn't a little girl, at least not as far as I know. My kids love Tom and Jerry, there is a bonus video on one of the DVDs where jerry dances with Gene Kelley. The main reason I say it doesn't seem there was a little girl dancing with him is mostly because there are some parts that seem like he was only acting as if there was an animated character there.

here is the link the dancing part where they started with stewie would be around 1:50 into it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdyMGansWpg

Seth McFarline did a great job with the immitation of it.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I'm in the South Park/Simpsons/King of the Hill club. I cant stand Family Guy...

HEY LOIS REMEMBER THAT ONE TIME I TOOK A DUMP AND IT LOOKED LIKE SUPERMAN?
Armed with this information, I did a little poking about, and it is from Anchor's Aweigh, and he is dancing with Jerry.

Quote:Gene Kelly had a novel idea for his seventh film, the 1945 production Anchor's Aweigh. He wanted to dance with an animated character. His immediate impulse was was Mickey Mouse, and so with assistant Stanely Donen, Kelly took the idea to Walt Disney. Disney was keen on the idea, but would not countenance Mickey Mouse in an MGM production. As luck would have it a partnership of animators, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, who had arrived at MGM around the same time as Kelly, had created the cat and mouse duo Tom and Jerry. In 1944, when Kelly was looking for a dancing partner, the Tom and Jerry series was riding high having just received back to back Academy Award wins for Animated Short Film. Jerry therefore was an obvious next choice. Gene Kelly and Jerry Mouse made cinematic history as the first dance partnership between a live person and an animated character. This is also pretty much the only time you will here Jerry Mouse Speak and sing. It's almost nothing now with today's CGI technology, but back then the animation was a painstaking and laborious process. It is to his great credit that Walt Disney intervened when studio executives became nervous of the idea and persuaded MGM to take the risk on the sequence. It was a proper labour of love, with everything, up to and including Jerry's dancing reflection, carefuly and perfectly realised. It proved to be a good career move for all involved. Anchors Aweigh garnered five Oscar nominations. Tom and Jerry went on to win a total of seven. And Kelly and Jerry remain the most remarkable of pioneering dance partners in cinematic history. Also probably the cutest.

Also, from the same film is this partwhich has Dean Stockwell from Quantum Leap, Dune, and Battlestar Galactica. Anchor's Aweigh cam out in 1945, and Dean Stockwell looks to be about 8.
Was this episode where they didn't have the money for a flight but offered entertainment?
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
That's the one.