Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy Storm in Grand Rapids
Is anyone sitting in the middle of this storm in Grand Rapids? About half the traffic lights were out on my way home from work. It is getting so crazy outside.
I'm trapped at work while it shits down.
I got in my car leaving work just as it started, and counted at least 10 cars pulled off to the side with their hazards on. Then there was a guy driving on the shoulder like it's a lane, what a Effing dumbass. He realized he wasn't in a lane when he got to a bridge.
Still, I'd rather drive in this than in the armageddon-like snow and ice we had to drive in this winter. That was absolutely Effing nutso.
speedbump Wrote:I got in my car leaving work just as it started, and counted at least 10 cars pulled off to the side with their hazards on. Then there was a guy driving on the shoulder like it's a lane, what a effing dumbass. He realized he wasn't in a lane when he got to a bridge.

Holy testicle tuesday Batman . . . that's a bridge.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
It was insane on my way out of work. I got it twice. Had to drive through the first storm to get to a doctor's appointment, and right as I was leaving, the second storm hit.

Stopped to get some milk on the way home, and there was over an inch of standing water in the supermarket parking lot.
I am a weather enthusiast, so I have followed all of this since it started. Here in Kentwood we managed to dodge the worst of it; I haven't gone outside or driven around yet. I did take video outside my door of what I am guessing is at least a 50-60 mile an hour gust. My sister and I had the door open and when the heavy gusts came in the door would not shut and stayed open. It was so dark it looked like night Big Grin. I took pics of the shelf clouds coming in.

The thunder here is still pretty intense, thankfully the power did not go out.
Queenie Wrote:
speedbump Wrote:I got in my car leaving work just as it started, and counted at least 10 cars pulled off to the side with their hazards on. Then there was a guy driving on the shoulder like it's a lane, what a effing dumbass. He realized he wasn't in a lane when he got to a bridge.

Holy testicle tuesday Batman . . . that's a bridge.

ROTFLMAO ! Queenie, you're awesome.
Wowie Groovie !
Kate Wrote:I am a weather enthusiast, so I have followed all of this since it started. Here in Kentwood we managed to dodge the worst of it; I haven't gone outside or driven around yet. I did take video outside my door of what I am guessing is at least a 50-60 mile an hour gust. My sister and I had the door open and when the heavy gusts came in the door would not shut and stayed open. It was so dark it looked like night Big Grin. I took pics of the shelf clouds coming in.

Kenthood Represent ! I was watching it outside my door too, and saw my neighbors garden gnome take a face plant. Ha ha.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
Kate Wrote:I am a weather enthusiast, so I have followed all of this since it started. Here in Kentwood we managed to dodge the worst of it; I haven't gone outside or driven around yet. I did take video outside my door of what I am guessing is at least a 50-60 mile an hour gust. My sister and I had the door open and when the heavy gusts came in the door would not shut and stayed open. It was so dark it looked like night Big Grin. I took pics of the shelf clouds coming in.

Kenthood Represent ! I was watching it outside my door too, and saw my neighbors garden gnome take a face plant. Ha ha.

We're moving to Kentwood pretty soon and we decided we are going to load our lawn up with garden gnomes. It is going to be sweet!
theterribletwist Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Kenthood Represent ! I was watching it outside my door too, and saw my neighbors garden gnome take a face plant. Ha ha.

We're moving to Kentwood pretty soon and we decided we are going to load our lawn up with garden gnomes. It is going to be sweet!

If you don't get married this weekend you'll be moving here alone.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
theterribletwist Wrote:We're moving to Kentwood pretty soon and we decided we are going to load our lawn up with garden gnomes. It is going to be sweet!

If you don't get married this weekend you'll be moving here alone.

I sure hope that isn't true.
theterribletwist Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:If you don't get married this weekend you'll be moving here alone.

I sure hope that isn't true.

I hope so too, I'm pulling for you kids. But you just can't compete with the raging hurricane of fame that Devan is about to experience. She'll be on the cover of Maxim next month, and you'll be working at Burger King wistfully thinking "I remember when" sorry bro, but that's how it is.
Wowie Groovie !
Holy F'n rain!
There was a foot of water in the road near cascade and 28th. The culvert in front of my house was plugged and it was flooding my front yard. I had to go out there in knee boots and a rain coat to unplug it so it wouldn't destroy my yard.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
dino Wrote:Holy F'n rain!
There was a foot of water in the road near cascade and 28th. The culvert in front of my house was plugged and it was flooding my front yard. I had to go out there in knee boots and a rain coat to unplug it so it wouldn't destroy my yard.

Oh don't lie. You were wearing JUST the knee boots.
Wowie Groovie !
There was a cool whirlpool-like thing going on in the parking lot of my apartment building as I pulled in. Water, about maybe three or four inches deep, was swirling all around the drain cover. Had it not been pouring out still, I'd have pulled out the camera.
It hailed when I was in work and I thought I missed it because it stopped for a while. Unfortunately it started up again on my way home and my 15 minute drive turned into an hour and a half driving around trying to find a road that wasn't blocked. At one point on a detour I had to stop and wait for a bulldozer to clear the road, only to have the road blocked further up and end up right back where I started. It was scary. There were splintered trees all over the place and I saw 2 telephone polls snapped in half. Plus I'm not originally from here so I got completely lost every time I was sent on a detour.
silvermelinda Wrote:It hailed when I was in work and I thought I missed it because it stopped for a while. Unfortunately it started up again on my way home and my 15 minute drive turned into an hour and a half driving around trying to find a road that wasn't blocked. At one point on a detour I had to stop and wait for a bulldozer to clear the road, only to have the road blocked further up and end up right back where I started. It was scary. There were splintered trees all over the place and I saw 2 telephone polls snapped in half. Plus I'm not originally from here so I got completely lost every time I was sent on a detour.

Wow! You got it bad where you're at.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
silvermelinda Wrote:It hailed when I was in work and I thought I missed it because it stopped for a while. Unfortunately it started up again on my way home and my 15 minute drive turned into an hour and a half driving around trying to find a road that wasn't blocked. At one point on a detour I had to stop and wait for a bulldozer to clear the road, only to have the road blocked further up and end up right back where I started. It was scary. There were splintered trees all over the place and I saw 2 telephone polls snapped in half. Plus I'm not originally from here so I got completely lost every time I was sent on a detour.

sounds like you were driving through part of the Book of Revelations. Yikes.
Wowie Groovie !
It had stopped for a while again, but now it's raining buckets at my apartment. I'm glad I'm home for the night.
Titan ! Wrote:
theterribletwist Wrote:I sure hope that isn't true.

I hope so too, I'm pulling for you kids. But you just can't compete with the raging hurricane of fame that Devan is about to experience. She'll be on the cover of Maxim next month, and you'll be working at Burger King wistfully thinking "I remember when" sorry bro, but that's how it is.

Burger King? Come on, I'm a software developer. :-[
I'm in Kentwood, and the stupid thunder woke me up from a nap.
theterribletwist Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:I hope so too, I'm pulling for you kids. But you just can't compete with the raging hurricane of fame that Devan is about to experience. She'll be on the cover of Maxim next month, and you'll be working at Burger King wistfully thinking "I remember when" sorry bro, but that's how it is.

Burger King? Come on, I'm a software developer. :-[

NOW, you're a software developer, but next month after she leaves you, you'll be a broken shell of a former human, not only does she go on to super stardom, you end up in the gutter. Sorry man but that's the way things are.
Wowie Groovie !
I think we're on the 4th set of heavy rain, with some light rain in between:

3:00
5:00
7:30 or 8:00

...and right now.

EDIT: I think a tree just snapped in my back yard...and the severe thunderstorm watch is canceled. Nice job national weather service.
my damn cable is STILL out... wtf am I supposed to do with myself nowWink.....
Pretty bad for driving but the lightning was badass
Quote:Kenthood Represent ! I was watching it outside my door too, and saw my neighbors garden gnome take a face plant. Ha ha.

Good! Garden gnomes deserve it. They are evil. Take that, gnomes!
boizalynne Wrote:my damn cable is STILL out... wtf am I supposed to do with myself nowWink.....

Send me a PM, I can give you some suggestions.
Wowie Groovie !
I live off of woodlawn and burton...and the north end of woodlawn where it T's before lake, there was 6 feet of standing water. Like 4 houses were flooded in their first floor on my street. Then there is eveyrone else's houses that are Effed
It rained again today, and all I could think was, "oh shit it's happening again" I havent been able to get my dehumidifier to dry the room out from the last one.
Wowie Groovie !