Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eletrical Question for you guys - Need real answer
So, the main breaker in our house tripped and we can't flip it back up, just sparks. Do we have to replace that or is the main the power companies job
I would think that once it's in your house it's your responsibility unless something outside under the companies control caused your main breaker to fail.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
that would also be my guess, once it runs through the meter it's yours
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Eff. I hate playing around with wires directly from the power line
before you replace the box, check and see (if you haven't already) if there are any breakers that are tripped, especially your GFI breakers and you also have to check the receptacles on the GFI to make sure they are reset. If you have breakers that are tripped, try resetting them before throwing the main breaker.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
dino Wrote:I would think that once it's in your house it's your responsibility unless something outside under the companies control caused your main breaker to fail.

i agree, if its your house, your responsibility. but it also might be something you shouldn't try to do by yourself. if the problem is before the breaker (but still in your house), then you likely can't cut the power to those wires. i don't recommend tooling with live ones, unless you know how to do that stuff. i don't.

same kind of thing happened to me in my apartment a few weeks ago, but with the water pipes. the main pipe sheared before the shut off valve, gushing everywhere. idiot me didn't know that until i tried to shut it off and nothing happened. well, except for bumping the pipe so it aimed the jet right at my face.

the landlord had to call the city for that one. got a nice bill for it, too.
make sure you don't have an outside main as well. I do...light poll or just a feeder poll may have a box on it...or in the basement
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Uh huh uh huh... yeah all my ideas or thought have been said or taken... I can think of a lot of other things that might have happened but those are things that would be too long to explain. If kicking it doesn't work in the end you could try to call some one to look at it... the electric company as said before is not responsible for it. But they might charge you for some if you call them about it. ^^ They like money.
Find a bare wire and test it with your tongue. It tastes like cherry kool aid.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:Find a bare wire and test it with your tongue. It tastes like cherry kool aid.

Are you sure? i thought it was grape
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
Ooouu ouuu.. you can use the wires to hook up to a pan and make cupcakes. Forget the cups.. just cake.
All the other breakers are off when we try to reset the main. Trust me, I didn't sleep lsat night, spent a long while using two zippos as flashlights.
Did this all occur during the storm? Could have been the result of excessive water pooling at the ground or a power surge?
That what we're thinking right now. When I get home from work, time to start unplugging wires and grounding them or soething
Derek Wrote:That what we're thinking right now. When I get home from work, time to start unplugging wires and grounding them or soething

Im no electrician but it sounds like the ground is very wet or there
If anyone in GR is amazingly willing, I would love to borrow a generator to run fans and shopvacs so we can start gettign stuff dry...
Derek Wrote:If anyone in GR is amazingly willing, I would love to borrow a generator to run fans and shopvacs so we can start gettign stuff dry...
I don't own a generator. Sorry!
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza