Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The technophile thread
I am sure that there are a few of you on here who have a love for all things technological. Whether it be software, hardware, game consoles, mobile phones, or whatever. So I thought I would start a thread to encompass that type of discussion.

To get us started, I wanted to find out if anyone else got their hands on the Release Candidate of Windows 7?

I have been running it since Tuesday night and so far I am thoroughly impressed with how it performs and how the interface has been tweeked from Vista. No longer does the operating system inundate me with ridiculous popups over and over asking me if I really want to do something. It has been optimized and is much smarter.

The speed of the operating system is great too. It is light years beyond what Vista did. (Yes, I know this is just an upgrade of the Vista Codebase). The developers did a great job of streamlining the way the OS works.

Installation took literally 10 minutes on a machine that is by far not a top notch computer.
What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.
I wish I had a spare computer to run Windows 7 on. My current computer had a massive simultaneous motherboard and videocard failure, so I've been working off of the laptop for now. I'm glad to hear that its nice, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Personally I'm just tired of software updates and upgrades.

I've spent the last 2 years learning Adobe CS3, and hey look at that, here's CS4, and CS 5 isn't too far off. I've heard from several sources that Adobe had the next 12 versions of photoshop ready to go, but have found that it's more lucrative to release a new one every 18 months rather than all at once, but cmon, I hate having tore-learn new software all the time. Blah blah blah, same thing with Vista and windows 7, I think Windows XP and Adobe CS3, were a perfect combination, why F with what works ?
Wowie Groovie !
Windows 7 is a desperate attempt to salvage Microsoft from the Vista fiasco. Vista isn't a "bad" OS, but it certainly was a game changer because of hardware requirements, as well as the new interface. Microsoft also took a massive hit because of the successful Mac Vs PC commercials.

It all comes down to money though. Apple's "Updates" they package as another OS, as far as I know. Photoshop is massively successful, why wouldn't they milk it for everything they've got?
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Adobe Photoshop can afford to stretch out their new versions and stockpile future updates, they know people like me will wait patiently and explore each new version delightedly as most of the new capabilities are ones I probably would have never thought to covet.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
Over the weekend I went to Best Buy to get a couple memory cards for my camera, to help gear up for the wedding I'm shooting in a couple weeks.

My, how the prices in memory have fallen. In 2006 when I got my camera, I got a 1 gig SD card for $45. On Saturday I picked up a two pack of 2 gig SD cards for $20.

Four times the memory at half the price. Dang.
bout 5 years ago when I got serious about my photography, I bought a new camera that used the XD memory card.

1st 1 gig card, ON SALE, 70.00

2 months ago, 8 gig card, 17.99

memory is the one thing we can count on to get bigger and cheaper as time goes. The down side is that cameras and other devices will continue to require larger/faster memory

As for Photoshop Torque, I love it, it is a phenomenal program, without photoshop and digital photography I'd probably still be working a Joe job and hating my life. I think it's worth every penny that Adobe charges. I was willing to pay for CS3. I just don't like the idea that every year and a half I need to buy the upgrade, and then fight with the learning curve for a couple months. Then as soon as I feel like I know the program, BAM ! here comes the newer version and I gotta start all over again.
Wowie Groovie !
Just wait until memory becomes even more reliable, and has tens of billions of writes over its lifetime. You would have computers that would never have to boot. Ever. Just write the hard disk to memory and bam, instant booting.

Titan! Wrote:bout 5 years ago when I got serious about my photography, I bought a new camera that used the XD memory card.

1st 1 gig card, ON SALE, 70.00

2 months ago, 8 gig card, 17.99

memory is the one thing we can count on to get bigger and cheaper as time goes.
This can be explained with Moore's Law.
I'm.......kind of a big deal. People know me.
Technophile confession - I get a perverse pleasure (and an audible chuckle) every time my wife asks me to write down a number someone has texted or emailed her on her iPhone so that she can enter it in and dial, and I ask her "Why don't you copy/paste?" :lol:
I'm.......kind of a big deal. People know me.
Titan! Wrote:As for Photoshop Torque, I love it, it is a phenomenal program, without photoshop and digital photography I'd probably still be working a Joe job and hating my life. I think it's worth every penny that Adobe charges. I was willing to pay for CS3. I just don't like the idea that every year and a half I need to buy the upgrade, and then fight with the learning curve for a couple months. Then as soon as I feel like I know the program, BAM ! here comes the newer version and I gotta start all over again.

I know but it's a love/hate thing.

Any one else excited about android platform cell phones (open source)? They're going to be way out of my price range, but I'm already fascinated by them and can't wait til wireless chargers are the norm.
Speaking of photoshop.. anybody use the Alien Skin plugins?

I love what they can do, but it seems those effects are cliche now.
What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.
Hey Torque, we have a summer CS class at my college that is entirely Android phone development.

Wow, I wish I had had the time in college to take fun classes like that. With the exception of experience with crazy biolab machines and equipment in certain labs my course load was a bit technologically-deficient. If I hadn't been tinkering with computers on my own since the '80s I'd be hopeless.
http://gizmodo.com/5253728/asuss-super-s...l-gorgeous
Lord, that is a sexy little netbook. So shiny!

Say what you will about Apple, their laptop design is gorgeous, and I'm glad Acer copied the look for the new version of the eee.

if i want more space to hold my digital home video until i can make dvds with it, is it stupid to get an external drive? because i've found a 1tb external drive for barely over $100, and i haven't even looked online yet.
Thats the #1 use of external drives... media storage. Photo's, music, movies, etc.
I have two ex drives, one for all my audio and file backup, one for all my photos.
okay 2 things for the tech people here
1, does anyone know any good places to get gimp add-ons
and 2 does anyone know anything about programming in android
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Philly Mike Wrote:1, does anyone know any good places to get gimp strap-ons

*snort*