Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addiction is not a disease
I am so sick of hearing that drug addiction, or alcoholism, or any other types of addiction are a disease.

Cancer is a disease.

AIDS is a disease.

Malaria is a disease.

Drug users choose to use the drugs. I drink, sometimes excessively, and every single time it's MY CHOICE to do so.

If you need to get help with your addictions, please do so, but don't use the whiny emotional crutch of "it's a disease"
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:I am so sick of hearing that drug addiction, or alcoholism, or any other types of addiction are a disease.

Cancer is a disease.

AIDS is a disease.

Malaria is a disease.

Drug users choose to use the drugs. I drink, sometimes excessively, and every single time it's MY CHOICE to do so.

If you need to get help with your addictions, please do so, but don't use the whiny emotional crutch of "it's a disease"

Well considering that recently there have been studies that show people have a genetic predisposition to addiction because of the sensitivity of certain receptors in the brain that affect impulse control which causes someone to basically "get hooked", this would constitute a specific thing that people can not help. Considering that genetics can predispose you to cancer and that would be concerned a disease. Why couldn't addiction be one?

Not to mention that at first when people start certain drugs/vices and the like there may be no addiction (nicotine, heroin) most people become chemically dependent on the specific thing being introduced into the body. This causes an addiction, that would be considered a disease also.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I haven't always really liked the term "disease" for things like drug and alcohol addiction, but I certainly think that in some cases, it's a problem that a person honestly can't really control all that well.
potthole Wrote:I haven't always really liked the term "disease" for things like drug and alcohol addiction, but I certainly think that in some cases, it's a problem that a person honestly can't really control all that well.

No doubt, however it can be considered a disease, and yes the fact that some people can't help themselves is abused by those who can, trying to say they have an addiction when they have complete free will without any biologically viable reason for stating so. So yeah I do feel this is a real thing, but I also know there are people out there faking it.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Philly Mike Wrote:
potthole Wrote:I haven't always really liked the term "disease" for things like drug and alcohol addiction, but I certainly think that in some cases, it's a problem that a person honestly can't really control all that well.

No doubt, however it can be considered a disease, and yes the fact that some people can't help themselves is abused by those who can, trying to say they have an addiction when they have complete free will without any biologically viable reason for stating so. So yeah I do feel this is a real thing, but I also know there are people out there faking it.

I have a somewhat addictive personality. This is why I won't let myself start playing video games like WoW and I am definitely addicted to cigarettes and Mountain Dew. I have been a part of a two different addiction groups in the past. I personally never had an addiction that is a disease but I do feel there is a small population that it may actually be a disease. People abuse this concept commonly though. I have heard people that were court ordered to be in a sexual addiction group claim it was a disease and I personally think they were full of shit.
I tend to agree here. While I agree that substances are addictive, it is not the person who is inherently an addict. That's bs. Babies are born with hemophilia, not alcoholism. People medically develop diabetes, not drug addictions. I get so mad at my boyfriend when he stumbles home drunk and says he can't help it. Come on. Did you make the conscious decision to go to the bar tonight? Did you make the conscious decision to order a beer? And another? And another? So how are you going to tell me it's an act of God and you were born that way?
That's what she said.
You're forgetting the main point Titan. If you label your addiction of choice as a disease, you no longer are responsible for it and have free range to drink as much as you possibly want, because you cant help it.

I'm very addicted to nicotine, but i don't consider it a disease. If i wanted to stop smoking, i guarantee i could and would. I am not saying it wouldn't suck and be difficult, but it is my responsibility for what i'm doing to my lungs, and its my responsibility to stop whenever i choose to (probably soon though because as much as i enjoy smoking, i have abused my lungs plenty long at this point).

Wait nevermind, i have a disease, so i dont have to worry about it, ill just keep smoking until they come out with a prescription drug i can take to cure myself!
providencecrow Wrote:You're forgetting the main point Titan. If you label your addiction of choice as a disease, you no longer are responsible for it and have free range to drink as much as you possibly want, because you cant help it.

I'm very addicted to nicotine, but i don't consider it a disease. If i wanted to stop smoking, i guarantee i could and would. I am not saying it wouldn't suck and be difficult, but it is my responsibility for what i'm doing to my lungs, and its my responsibility to stop whenever i choose to (probably soon though because as much as i enjoy smoking, i have abused my lungs plenty long at this point).

Wait nevermind, i have a disease, so i dont have to worry about it, ill just keep smoking until they come out with a prescription drug i can take to cure myself!

I think they already have that drug... I don't know much about it though because I'm happy smoking.
I don't feel addiction is a disease, either. I'll grant that there are people with addictive personalities, but I believe people need to take responsibility for themselves. When I smoked, no one forced me to do it, the cigarettes didn't attach themselves to my mouth and light themselves. I CHOSE to pick them up and smoke them. When I quit, it was so difficult to stick to my plan ( I weaned myself off instead of cold turkey), but I did it. It was my responsibility, and I needed to fix it.

I still drink, not all the time, but when I do I tend to drink until I've had too much. I guess I'd be considered a binge drinker. I'd never claim to have a disease because of it, though. It's my choice to pick up that drink, I am the one responsible when I go overboard.
What if you're addicted to diseases?
Titan ! Wrote:I am so sick of hearing that drug addiction, or alcoholism, or any other types of addiction are a disease.

Cancer is a disease.

AIDS is a disease.

Malaria is a disease.

I don't completely agree with you. Clearly Cancer, AIDS and Malaria are diseases. Wikipedia defines disease as "an abnormal condition of an organism that impairs bodily functions." Depending on how severe the dependency, drugs and alcohol actually alter the state of the brain. For example Meth depletes the dopamine in one's brain, which can cause psychological problems such as Schizophrenia. Being addicted to a substance such as Meth is a disease. The abuser takes more Meth to escape the pshycological effects of being addicted to Meth, its a vicious cycle and it usually has to be treated medically, the same with severe alcohol addiction.
overheadpageme Wrote:

Cancer is a disease.

AIDS is a disease.

Malaria is a disease.

I don't completely agree with you. Clearly Cancer, AIDS and Malaria are diseases. Wikipedia defines disease as "an abnormal condition of an organism that impairs bodily functions." Depending on how severe the dependency, drugs and alcohol actually alter the state of the brain. For example Meth depletes the dopamine in one's brain, which can cause psychological problems such as Schizophrenia. Being addicted to a substance such as Meth is a disease. The abuser takes more Meth to escape the pshycological effects of being addicted to Meth, its a vicious cycle and it usually has to be treated medically, the same with severe alcohol addiction.

Your argument would have more weight if you cited a source other than wikipedia.
Wowie Groovie !
Well speaking from experience in my family, we had ADHD that runs rampant, and that IS a disease. In order to curb the effects of ADHD, prescription medicine is necessary. If you cannot, or will not, take the prescription medicine, other illegal drugs can produce the same results. Therefore, I believe that drug addiction can be a disease. My 2 cents worth . . . Smile
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Titan ! Wrote:
overheadpageme Wrote:I don't completely agree with you. Clearly Cancer, AIDS and Malaria are diseases. Wikipedia defines disease as "an abnormal condition of an organism that impairs bodily functions." Depending on how severe the dependency, drugs and alcohol actually alter the state of the brain. For example Meth depletes the dopamine in one's brain, which can cause psychological problems such as Schizophrenia. Being addicted to a substance such as Meth is a disease. The abuser takes more Meth to escape the pshycological effects of being addicted to Meth, its a vicious cycle and it usually has to be treated medically, the same with severe alcohol addiction.

Your argument would have more weight if you cited a source other than wikipedia.

Are you one of those people who thinks everything on Wikipedia is wrong? Or are you just saying that now, out of convenience to the situation, when you yourself have quoted Wikipedia numerous times?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disease
speedbump Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Your argument would have more weight if you cited a source other than wikipedia.

Are you one of those people who thinks everything on Wikipedia is wrong? Or are you just saying that now, out of convenience to the situation, when you yourself have quoted Wikipedia numerous times?

Thanks, man. I have used Wikipedia several times writing papers for school and such, and none of my professors have ever had any issues with it's credibility.
If we know all these "diseases" are genetic we should start identifying the carriers and sterilizing them.

In my genetic code there is a sequence that gives me the strength to wield a knife and plunge it downward in a stabbing motion, so if i kill people it's just a disease. Also I had a poor childhood so the stress my parent put on me makes it their fault. In the end being genetically predisposed is a cop out, you make choices just like I do.

[rant] As for my sterilizing comment, I do believe in the next 10 generations we are going to breed into our genetic so much junk that people with bad genetic will need to be sterilized for the betterment of the human race. I saw a piece a year or so ago on dateline about two people people with cerebral palsy crying about their children having the same disease.. WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!

[size=100]Everything in our social environment comes down to the battle between COMPASSION and EFFICIENCY[/size].

The Spartans (as made famous in the movie 300) were efficient to the point of brutality and America is becoming compassionate to the point of ludicrousy. If you need a warning label on a baby stroller that says "Don't collapse with baby inside", then breeding isn't something you should have done. Too many people rely on immediate satisfaction that they can't see the long term destruction. Can't you all see the drug induced, hand fed, system taxed, irresponsible, entitlement filled future around the corner? Hey, I would be on the sterilize list (bad eyes, bad knees, 27 and already had rotator cuff surgery) but I think I would be alright with that if I knew that there was a a process in place to create a stronger us. In the entirety of known history, we right now have more freedom to think, do, say, and create, than ever before and we can only make collectively bad decisions for so long before we lose those options. [/rant]
speedbump Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Your argument would have more weight if you cited a source other than wikipedia.

Nah, Im just saying that since anyone can edit wikipedia, it just doesn't have a lot of eight as a source, specifically for something academic. I think it's a great source for information on any and all sources of pop culture though.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
speedbump Wrote:Are you one of those people who thinks everything on Wikipedia is wrong? Or are you just saying that now, out of convenience to the situation, when you yourself have quoted Wikipedia numerous times?

Nah, Im just saying that since anyone can edit wikipedia, it just doesn't have a lot of eight as a source, specifically for something academic. I think it's a great source for information on any and all sources of pop culture though.

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/n...5/12/69844
speedbump Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Nah, Im just saying that since anyone can edit wikipedia, it just doesn't have a lot of eight as a source, specifically for something academic. I think it's a great source for information on any and all sources of pop culture though.

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/n...5/12/69844

Damn, speedy you're all over that shit. If I remember it, I'll give you a +1 when I can
Wowie Groovie !
Queenie Wrote:Well speaking from experience in my family, we had ADHD that runs rampant, and that IS a disease. In order to curb the effects of ADHD, prescription medicine is necessary. If you cannot, or will not, take the prescription medicine, other illegal drugs can produce the same results. Therefore, I believe that drug addiction can be a disease. My 2 cents worth . . . Smile

I have to deal with ADD everyday, and I know I have a variety of options available to me. But I just can't agree that "addiction" is a disease.

On a side note, a few years ago I had a legal prescription for percocette. HOLY SHIT ! ! ! That stuff was F'ing amazing. It was like Ritalin times 10. It made everything more enjoyable, I was able to focus on whatever topic was at hand. fortunately my medical coverage ran out and I didn't have to keep taking that stuff. but geezus H man those were some wonderful days.
Wowie Groovie !
Here's a question or two ....

What about the people who were born before alcohol and or drugs were readily/easily available ?

and...

If an addict were suddenly stranded on a deseretd island with no access to drugs or alcohol for 5, 10, 20 years, are they still an addict ? Do they still have the disease ?
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:On a side note, a few years ago I had a legal prescription for percocette. HOLY SHIT ! ! ! That stuff was F'ing amazing. It was like Ritalin times 10. It made everything more enjoyable, I was able to focus on whatever topic was at hand. fortunately my medical coverage ran out and I didn't have to keep taking that stuff. but geezus H man those were some wonderful days.

Don't trust drug dealers, unless they are FDA approved. Percs mess me up man.
providencecrow Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:On a side note, a few years ago I had a legal prescription for percocette. HOLY SHIT ! ! ! That stuff was F'ing amazing. It was like Ritalin times 10. It made everything more enjoyable, I was able to focus on whatever topic was at hand. fortunately my medical coverage ran out and I didn't have to keep taking that stuff. but geezus H man those were some wonderful days.

Don't trust drug dealers, unless they are FDA approved. Percs mess me up man.

Yes. 100% absolutely. I agree. My percs came straight from the pharmacy, (For 4.00 for 90 tabs ! ! ) and I knew I was getting the good stuff.
Wowie Groovie !
providencecrow Wrote:You're forgetting the main point Titan. If you label your addiction of choice as a disease, you no longer are responsible for it and have free range to drink as much as you possibly want, because you cant help it.

Exactly. That South Park episode was one of the most enlightening things I've seen on the subject.

PS I'm Psychology grad student and there seems to be a turning around on the belief that alcoholism is a disease. Disorder? Yes! Disease? No.
ratrad Wrote:

Exactly. That South Park episode was one of the most enlightening things I've seen on the subject.

PS I'm Psychology grad student and there seems to be a turning around on the belief that alcoholism is a disease. Disorder? Yes! Disease? No.

Speaking of...Is it Happy Hour yet???
jus' P Wrote:
ratrad Wrote:Exactly. That South Park episode was one of the most enlightening things I've seen on the subject.

Speaking of...Is it Happy Hour yet???

Brother it's F off Friday, it's 5 O'Clock all day long
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:Here's a question or two ....

What about the people who were born before alcohol and or drugs were readily/easily available ?

and...

If an addict were suddenly stranded on a deseretd island with no access to drugs or alcohol for 5, 10, 20 years, are they still an addict ? Do they still have the disease ?

Was alcohol ever not readily available? And marijuana has been smoked probably for centuries

and...

What is your point? My kids have Celiac disease... if they consume wheat, rye, oats, or barely it attacks their digestive system and immune system. They have a gluten free diet and live normally... but they still have Celiac disease.

and...

The disease is being easily addicted to a substance. Take the substance away and they aren't sick, but they still have the disease...before alcohol there was still marijuana growing wild somewhere...it wasn't just created in the 60's. I'm sure a caveman or two ate a few poppies or a MJ plant...we can therorize that a caveman got all potted down sat on his rock couch and watched cave art all night instead of hunting and then died

drugs are bad mmkay?
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
overheadpageme Wrote:Was alcohol ever not readily available? And marijuana has been smoked probably for centuries

Yes, it was called prohibition, and it was short lived. /sarcasm But look at how well prohibition is currently working for pot! /end sarcasm
so your saying I should stop playing World of Warcraft?
addicted2wow Wrote:so your saying I should stop playing World of Warcraft?

Yes you should, anything that requires a monthly fee to dedicate 40+ hours a week to it for no actual return is something you should not be doing.
how bout 10 to 15 hrs a week?
Zee Wrote:What is your point? My kids have Celiac disease... if they consume wheat, rye, oats, or barely it attacks their digestive system and immune system. They have a gluten free diet and live normally... but they still have Celiac disease.

We have a couple of kids with allergies to everything from peanut butter to the sun. But we deal with it. Kudos to you for dealing with it too!!
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
addicted2wow Wrote:how bout 10 to 15 hrs a week?

Why bother then because you'll only be able to see like 1/8 of the game you are paying for?

I have plenty of friends who invest 50 hours or so a week into the game and are just being able to get to the Black Temple now.

My one friend has over 2 years logged into his one character
providencecrow Wrote:
addicted2wow Wrote:how bout 10 to 15 hrs a week?

Why bother then because you'll only be able to see like 1/8 of the game you are paying for?

I have plenty of friends who invest 50 hours or so a week into the game and are just being able to get to the Black Temple now.

My one friend has over 2 years logged into his one character

Extend my condolences to your friend.
Oh thats the best part, for a while there he was unemployed. Now he has a job, so he can only play like 6 hours a day so he uses the excuse "i dont play that much anymore". I'll be the first to admit I had a huge Everquest problem in high school...but guess what, it was high school, AND i would still go out of the house if something is going on. A lot of people who get addicted to these types of games do not.
providencecrow Wrote:Oh thats the best part, for a while there he was unemployed. Now he has a job, so he can only play like 6 hours a day so he uses the excuse "i dont play that much anymore". I'll be the first to admit I had a huge Everquest problem in high school...but guess what, it was high school, AND i would still go out of the house if something is going on. A lot of people who get addicted to these types of games do not.

I know, and I feel sorry for those types of people. Of course, I don't really have a choice, I have 6 kids at home who are always demanding my attention. But, to do it over, I wouldn't have it any other way. My life is great . . . I love my life . . I love my kids. If you haven't had them yet, do so, you won't regret it.
Queenie Wrote:
providencecrow Wrote:Oh thats the best part, for a while there he was unemployed. Now he has a job, so he can only play like 6 hours a day so he uses the excuse "i dont play that much anymore". I'll be the first to admit I had a huge Everquest problem in high school...but guess what, it was high school, AND i would still go out of the house if something is going on. A lot of people who get addicted to these types of games do not.

I know, and I feel sorry for those types of people. Of course, I don't really have a choice, I have 6 kids at home who are always demanding my attention. But, to do it over, I wouldn't have it any other way. My life is great . . . I love my life . . I love my kids. If you haven't had them yet, do so, you won't regret it.

That's cool, and i can totally see it, but at least right now i dont even have close to the patience or desire for kids. I have no real need to procreate and i fully intend that any kids i do have will be accidental, at least for the next 10 years anyway. I will let you know if i change my mind when im 35.
Some people go and try to check out the age of people they are chatting with . . . I don't really look at age (but I just did with you) . . .yeah wait a while dude . . . but kids are wonderful, and wonderful for you!!