Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank You Troops
I dont know if there are any military or ex military people in this forum, but if there is I just wanted to say thanks. A lot of people take for granted what you do/did for this country. You risked your life for our freedom, so thanks.
;D We can't thank you guys (and gals) enough!
That's what she said.
Does anyone actually still believe the troops are being taken for granted in this day and age?
Fistor Wrote:Does anyone actually still believe the troops are being taken for granted in this day and age?

I think a lot of people do, especially those who dont think we should be in Iraq in the first place. The fact is that whether or not you agree with the war, Americans should support the troops. They are risking their lives to guarantee our freedom. That takes more courage than most people have. And although we dont have the greatest president ever, our country needs to support him. You dont make any progress by bitching about how bad he is. Instead, support this country for what it is.
Our brave soldiers are often taken for granted. Not by many, but by enough that it's dispicable. Have you ever heard of the westboro baptist church? Their title does not deserve proper capitalization.
That's what she said.
Fistor Wrote:Does anyone actually still believe the troops are being taken for granted in this day and age?

does it matter?

can you ever be thanked too much?

Not only do I thank the Troops in every branch of service, I thank my cousin in the Airforce for the dvd he burned me 'Boner Jams 2007'
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
If I see a military person in uniform I always shake their hand and say "thanks". I'm not saying that to say "Hey! Look at what a great American I am" but to point out that every time I do that they always seem to really appreciate it and it's never inappropriate.

The same goes for anyone I see wearing anything indicating that they are Vietnam Vets.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
kaboobie92 Wrote:I think a lot of people do, especially those who dont think we should be in Iraq in the first place.

I don't think this is the case. It might be convenient for those who do support the war to believe those who don't are a bunch of troop hating tree huggers, but it's not the case.

kaboobie92 Wrote:The fact is that whether or not you agree with the war, Americans should support the troops.

And it does.

kaboobie92 Wrote:They are risking their lives to guarantee our freedom.

Really? Are the Iraqi insurgencies really a threat to our freedom?

kaboobie92 Wrote:And although we dont have the greatest president ever, our country needs to support him. You dont make any progress by bitching about how bad he is. Instead, support this country for what it is.

This thread isn't about Bush. Go start a thread entitled Thank You Bush and see how far it goes. The troops are not Bush and vice versa. They're totally unrelated.

I think they are. I've worked on a couple of military bases and work with them and their families and it amazes me how much each of them have to go through. The families of military members amaze me just as much at the strength that they have to persevere through deployments and just military life itself.

When I hear people speak of them in a nonchalant way such as....just send the Army into this or that country as well as people who say the military is full of the uneducated and people who had no other choice.....it makes my blood boil cause they are some of the most honorable individuals I've ever had the privilege to work for.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
Fistor Wrote:
kaboobie92 Wrote:I think a lot of people do, especially those who dont think we should be in Iraq in the first place.

I don't think this is the case. It might be convenient for those who do support the war to believe those who don't are a bunch of troop hating tree huggers, but it's not the case.

And it does.

kaboobie92 Wrote:And although we dont have the greatest president ever, our country needs to support him. You dont make any progress by bitching about how bad he is. Instead, support this country for what it is.

This thread isn't about Bush. Go start a thread entitled Thank You Bush and see how far it goes. The troops are not Bush and vice versa. They're totally unrelated.

You are so ignorant... here we are trying to start a forum about thanking the troops and you have to pull apart everything I say? Find a different thread, and the Bush mention was just to elaborate on the "support the troops whether you like the war or not". Im not getting into a political discussion because that is not the purpose of this thread
[Image: notagain.jpg]
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
dino Wrote:When I hear people speak of them in a nonchalant way such as....just send the Army into this or that country as well as people who say the military is full of the uneducated and people who had no other choice.....it makes my blood boil cause they are some of the most honorable individuals I've ever had the privilege to work for.

THAT'S the meat of it, right there.

For me, the fact that these brave people are being put into harm's way on a daily basis and really don't know why makes me sick.
Admin Wrote:[Image: notagain.jpg]

Biff your so effin funny, LMAO
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
kaboobie92 Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:I don't think this is the case. It might be convenient for those who do support the war to believe those who don't are a bunch of troop hating tree huggers, but it's not the case.

And it does.

You are so ignorant... here we are trying to start a forum about thanking the troops and you have to pull apart everything I say? Find a different thread,

I did, but you refuse to address the question I brought up in it for some reason.

I'll step aside and let the "we love the troops, therefore we're super people" conversation continue unfettered. My apologies.
Fistor Wrote:
dino Wrote:When I hear people speak of them in a nonchalant way such as....just send the Army into this or that country as well as people who say the military is full of the uneducated and people who had no other choice.....it makes my blood boil cause they are some of the most honorable individuals I've ever had the privilege to work for.

For me, the fact that these brave people are being put into harm's way on a daily basis and really don't know why makes me sick.

I agree with you. The troops should not be taken advantage of, and any military action should be carefully analyzed and it should be absolutely necessary before we risk the lives of our brave troops. But the fact is that they are there, and we must support them so they can get the job done and come home to safety.
Fistor Wrote:

they know why....it's their job and the boss said so.
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
I think we should keep this thread in the vein of thanking the troops, and take an Iraq/Bush debate to the touchy subject forum.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Philly Mike Wrote:I think we should keep this thread in the vein of thanking the troops, and take an Iraq/Bush debate to the touchy subject forum.
+1
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:THAT'S the meat of it, right there.

they know why....it's their job and the boss said so.

Amen to that.

But still they do have thoughts and opinions on matters. They aren't robots.
Philly Mike Wrote:I think we should keep this thread in the vein of thanking the troops, and take an Iraq/Bush debate to the touchy subject forum.

Were thanking them by fighting...I guess...
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
I work on an army base, side-by-side with current and former military. I get all warm and mushy inside whenever I see one (which is quite often). That's part to do with the fact that I have a thing for soldiers, but it's mostly the tremendous respect, admiration, adoration, [insert more endearing words here] that I have for them. I always think about joining myself, but I know that I am of much more use here as a civilian than I would be out in the field.
That's what she said.
+1
kaboobie92 Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:THAT'S the meat of it, right there.

I agree with you. The troops should not be taken advantage of, and any military action should be carefully analyzed and it should be absolutely necessary before we risk the lives of our brave troops. But the fact is that they are there, and we must support them so they can get the job done and come home to safety.

Here's why I'm being such a prick about this, and my apologies for my attitude in this thread:

This is all generality fluff. "We should support our troops", to me, is like saying "We should mow our grass when it gets long". It's obvious. There's no substance to it. "We should support our troops". Okay, great. How? Dive deeper. Don't just throw out a generality, because I see that as being more about the poster and not the recipient.
The people who put their lives up for military service are all honorable, no matter where they are. From a hellzone like Iraq, or Afghanistan, to an embassy in Australia. They all are doing a service for the country and deserve all the respect in the world for that reason.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
Allyson Wrote:I work on an army base, side-by-side with current and former military. I get all warm and mushy inside whenever I see one (which is quite often). That's part to do with the fact that I have a thing for soldiers, but it's mostly the tremendous respect, admiration, adoration, [insert more endearing words here] that I have for them. I always think about joining myself, but I know that I am of much more use here as a civilian than I would be out in the field.

This is the substantive stuff I'm talking about.
Fistor Wrote:
kaboobie92 Wrote:I agree with you. The troops should not be taken advantage of, and any military action should be carefully analyzed and it should be absolutely necessary before we risk the lives of our brave troops. But the fact is that they are there, and we must support them so they can get the job done and come home to safety.

Here's why I'm being such a prick about this, and my apologies for my attitude in this thread:

This is all generality fluff. "We should support our troops", to me, is like saying "We should mow our grass when it gets long". It's obvious. There's no substance to it. "We should support our troops". Okay, great. How? Dive deeper. Don't just throw out a generality, because I see that as being more about the poster and not the recipient.

i see what you're getting at, you toss it around half-hearted or without any true emotion and it just becomes a cliche that has zero meaning with everyone.

That is why I don't have a 'support the troops' sticker or an American Flag on my truck, but I will stand with my Fire Department for hours along side Vetrens (not sure how i belong next to them) at a Memorial day service on a hot day and be happy as a clam (aside from the sweaty ass)
I guess I would say by "supporting" the troops I just mean making them feel like they are making a difference. Like someone in the thread said earlier, everytime I see someone in the military, or anyone ex-military I thank them. They deserve a lot more than a thank-you, but making them feel like they have support from their fellow americans through a simple "thanks" I believe is very important.
Fistor Wrote:This is all generality fluff. "We should support our troops", to me, is like saying "We should mow our grass when it gets long". It's obvious. There's no substance to it. "We should support our troops". Okay, great. How? Dive deeper. Don't just throw out a generality, because I see that as being more about the poster and not the recipient.

I send packages all the time to the troops overseas, and encourage everyone to do the same. Go to http://www.anysoldier.com/ and just pick a troop that you would like to send a package, letter, whatever, to. You'll get an email with their information and you can send your package on its way.
That's what she said.
Allyson Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:This is all generality fluff. "We should support our troops", to me, is like saying "We should mow our grass when it gets long". It's obvious. There's no substance to it. "We should support our troops". Okay, great. How? Dive deeper. Don't just throw out a generality, because I see that as being more about the poster and not the recipient.

I send packages all the time to the troops overseas, and encourage everyone to do the same. Go to http://www.anysoldier.com/ and just pick a troop that you would like to send a package, letter, whatever, to. You'll get an email with their information and you can send your package on its way.

There you go. That's what I'm talking about.

Thanks for getting it and not running me off the board, all.
Allyson Wrote:

I may have to try that out, I've been needing a new pen-pal!
I am currently active duty Navy. Not overseas anymore, but I spent 4 years on the USS Albuquerque, with quite a bit of time over in that certain area. I'm on shore duty now, teaching students how to operate nuclear reactor plants. I'm not posting here for any sympathy or anything, just adding my name to the list. I know I wasn't out on the front lines, but I know a lot of people who have been and currently are. I have nothing but respect for anybody doing their part, whether it's on the front lines, on a ship, or even making food for those doing the fighting. If ANY of those pieces weren't there, the whole thing would fall apart.
shaun Wrote:I am currently active duty Navy. Not overseas anymore, but I spent 4 years on the USS Albuquerque, with quite a bit of time over in that certain area. I'm on shore duty now, teaching students how to operate nuclear reactor plants. I'm not posting here for any sympathy or anything, just adding my name to the list. I know I wasn't out on the front lines, but I know a lot of people who have been and currently are. I have nothing but respect for anybody doing their part, whether it's on the front lines, on a ship, or even making food for those doing the fighting. If ANY of those pieces weren't there, the whole thing would fall apart.

I love my man Big Grin I never tire of hearing silly stories from his days on the boat
Spent 3 years as a medic in an armour battalion in Mainz, Germany. It was a job. Craziest thing, my father lived in the same building at Lee Barracks 30 years prior, serving with the 82nd.
jus' P Wrote:Spent 3 years as a medic in an armour battalion in Mainz, Germany.

When was this?
Fistor Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:Spent 3 years as a medic in an armour battalion in Mainz, Germany.

When was this?
87-90.
jus' P Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:When was this?
87-90.

Medics are probably the bravest/craziest bastards in the services. Have you seen Band of Brothers? They dedicated one episode (Bastogne) looking through the eyes of a medic. I can't imagine what those guys went through with no medicine and extremely limited facilities in WWII. That episode (I know, I watched it, you lived it - I'm a huge pussy) really made me appreciate what they had to go through. As much as a television program can, anyway.
Fistor Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:87-90.

Medics are probably the bravest/craziest bastards in the services. Have you seen Band of Brothers? They dedicated one episode (Bastogne) looking through the eyes of a medic. I can't imagine what those guys went through with no medicine and extremely limited facilities in WWII. That episode (I know, I watched it, you lived it - I'm a huge pussy) really made me appreciate what they had to go through. As much as a television program can, anyway.

I just got episode 1 from my netflix. I've seen it several times. My wife said she wants to see it, but I think she's just being polite.
I get teared up every time. I know,(gay,gay,gay), but that was a great series. I can't imagine walking a mile in their shoes. I can only hope it wasn't for naught.
I'm marrying my soldier in Oct, and I know the biggest thing that helped while he was overseas was the packages, letters, emails, etc. Knowing there's someone back home who cares enough to take a little bit of time to spend on them goes a long way. The best thing about his unit was meeting them all, and being accepted like a part of a family. Two of them are standing up with him, and I'm proud just to know them.
Do what's right....even when no one is looking.
jus' P Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:Medics are probably the bravest/craziest bastards in the services. Have you seen Band of Brothers? They dedicated one episode (Bastogne) looking through the eyes of a medic. I can't imagine what those guys went through with no medicine and extremely limited facilities in WWII. That episode (I know, I watched it, you lived it - I'm a huge pussy) really made me appreciate what they had to go through. As much as a television program can, anyway.

I just got episode 1 from my netflix. I've seen it several times. My wife said she wants to see it, but I think she's just being polite.
I get teared up every time. I know,(gay,gay,gay), but that was a great series. I can't imagine walking a mile in their shoes. I can only hope it wasn't for naught.

Not gay at all. I'm glad to see it had the same effect on a member of the armed forces that it did with me. Whenever my wife and I watch it, we always end up talking about her grandpa, who fought in WWII and died a few years ago. He didn't like to talk about the war that much, but he did once reveal that he saw Musolini hanging in Italy. He was an amazing guy, as a lot of the WWII vets are. I was a paul bearer at his funeral, and couldn't stop blubbering while we were moving the casket. I only knew him for a short time, but he had a huge impact upon my life.

So yeah, it's a pretty amazing series to watch.
I might have to watch it... I haven't either