Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do other states recycle?
If you are a die hard Seinfeld watcher, you know that Michigan has a $.10 deposit on all carbonated beverage containers (Kramer and Newman tried smuggling a postal truck full of empties into MI). That means when you buy a 12 pack of Coke or Bud you pay the price + $1.20 for the deposit. You drink your Coke and bring the cans or bottles back to the store, run them through a machine and get a credit for the $1.20. There is (was) a bill in the Michigan Congress to expand this "bottle bill" to include water, juice, iced tea, etc. containers.
While the original bottle bill cleaned up the roads (if there is a can on the side of the road, it will not be there long, at least around Holland) expanding it would make it worse. I care about the environment and I recycle my glass and plastic, but I don't want to have to go back to the store, stand in line to wait for a machine to get the $2.40 deposit back that I shelled out for a bonus pack of bottled water that only cost me $4 to start. Not to mention the mingers from border states like Indiana and Ohio that bring their empties back to Michigan for the extra meth money.
Maybe I'm late to the party on this, but what do other states do to recycle besides a deposit?
Here in Tennessee, we use our garbage as planters and lawn decorations. We especially like old bath tubs pull of pansies and commodes full of dead petunias.

Seriously, we're lucky to have recycling pick up here in Nashville - but the other towns around us have to take their recycling to the dump (or behind a Kroger). In Indiana (I believe) they had that same thing when I was a kid. You pay so much up front, then you "get it bacK" if you recycle. I think it's an AWESOME idea.
wingospagettio Wrote:If you are a die hard Seinfeld watcher, you know that Michigan has a $.10 deposit on all carbonated beverage containers (Kramer and Newman tried smuggling a postal truck full of empties into MI). That means when you buy a 12 pack of Coke or Bud you pay the price + $1.20 for the deposit. You drink your Coke and bring the cans or bottles back to the store, run them through a machine and get a credit for the $1.20. There is (was) a bill in the Michigan Congress to expand this "bottle bill" to include water, juice, iced tea, etc. containers.
While the original bottle bill cleaned up the roads (if there is a can on the side of the road, it will not be there long, at least around Holland) expanding it would make it worse. I care about the environment and I recycle my glass and plastic, but I don't want to have to go back to the store, stand in line to wait for a machine to get the $2.40 deposit back that I shelled out for a bonus pack of bottled water that only cost me $4 to start. Not to mention the mingers from border states like Indiana and Ohio that bring their empties back to Michigan for the extra meth money.
Maybe I'm late to the party on this, but what do other states do to recycle besides a deposit?

I agree it's a big pain to take bottles back (proof is in the 10s of hefty sacks full of bottles at my house) but with the trendyness of bottled water nowadays and people rarely using re-usable bottles it just makes sense. I'm no greeny but I don't want the landfills full of Ice Mountain bottles for the next 1k years
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
This actually varies by town, for example in Orangeville they eat all their trash
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
Here in the Garden State we throw our recycleables in a bin and they get picked up weekly. I don't know where they go and I don't care. Probably somewhere in North Jersey with the garbage where it reeks already. I sometimes see hobos with carts full of cans but I'm not aware of any rebate system we have.
That's what she said.
In our neck of the woods, they have recycling centers for cans and you get instant money based on a per pound rate. There are also a couple of private vendors near our house that do the same and give a better rate per pound.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
if curbside recycling was available in my neighborhood i'd eat the deposit and just leave my cans there...it's a pain in the ass....

If curbside recycling was available everywhere I wouldn't find it neccessary for the water bottles to be included in the bill....

get me?
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:if curbside recycling was available in my neighborhood i'd eat the deposit and just leave my cans there...it's a pain in the ass....

If curbside recycling was available everywhere I wouldn't find it neccessary for the water bottles to be included in the bill....

get me?

I understand what you are saying. In that case I think people would be more inclined to litter those items and others would be a lot less inclined to pick up those items when others liter. Particularly in places that are not conveniently close to the curb. I have canoed, camped, and backpacked in a number of states and Michigan is noticeably a lot cleaner.
In West Nashville you have to throw your cans in the alley. If you don't the bums will go through your trash,take the cans and leave a mess for you to clean up.
jus' P Wrote:In West Nashville you have to throw your cans in the alley. If you don't the bums will go through your trash,take the cans and leave a mess for you to clean up.

Your bums act a lot like raccoons (besides them only taking cans) ???
wienerpoopie Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:In West Nashville you have to throw your cans in the alley. If you don't the bums will go through your trash,take the cans and leave a mess for you to clean up.

Your bums act a lot like raccoons (besides them only taking cans) ???
I have seen them bust concrete off swing set posts...(bums not raccoons) Alley rats will do anything for metal.
jus' P Wrote:
wienerpoopie Wrote:Your bums act a lot like raccoons (besides them only taking cans) ???
I have seen them bust concrete off swing set posts...(bums not raccoons) Alley rats will do anything for metal.

Your bums seem to be so much more motivated compared to bums in Grand Rapids. Here I just see them collect cans and look for cigarette butts that have a little left on them.
Zee Wrote:
jus' P Wrote:I have seen them bust concrete off swing set posts...(bums not raccoons) Alley rats will do anything for metal.

Your bums seem to be so much more motivated compared to bums in Grand Rapids. Here I just see them collect cans and look for cigarette butts that have a little left on them.

ewwwwww!! Gross!
wienerpoopie Wrote:
Zee Wrote:Your bums seem to be so much more motivated compared to bums in Grand Rapids. Here I just see them collect cans and look for cigarette butts that have a little left on them.

ewwwwww!! Gross!

My dog was eating the butts out of Drewfus's yard the other day...he laughed at my misfortune as the dog would probably get sick....well he delayed my departure for too long and the dog too a giant cig butt shit in his fenced in back yard....

take that you little ass! ;D
wienerpoopie Wrote:
Zee Wrote:Your bums seem to be so much more motivated compared to bums in Grand Rapids. Here I just see them collect cans and look for cigarette butts that have a little left on them.

ewwwwww!! Gross!

Bonus Butts!!! They're everywhere here. I while back I read a story how they cleaned up Chicago by giving all the homeless a one-way bus ticket to Nashville. One used to come and go throw our dumpster at work for cans and goodies till the owner busted him. Liability issues.
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:if curbside recycling was available in my neighborhood i'd eat the deposit and just leave my cans there...it's a pain in the ass....

get me?
I get ya. How about this? Every town has a post office, even Orangeville, so drop a recycling dumpster there in a corner of the parking lot and pick it up when it's full. Granted the feds probably wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole (or Hot Wings' Giant 3rd Leg), besides that I'm out of ideas to get our lazy asses to recycle.
We live near a transfer station, so we just take our recycling there ourselves. Alot of the people here have recycling pickup included with their trash pickup. My landlord pays for our pickup, and we used to put it out with that until the company apparantly decided not to deal with recycleables anymore. One day I saw them just putting it all together with the regular trash. What's the point of us sorting it out if they don't bother anyway? So now we deal with it ourselves.
I wouldn't' mind if non-carbonated bottles had a deposit on them We take our bottles and cans back to the grocery store and I give the money to my daughter to put in her bank.
the other recyclables get picked up every week.
We have a bottle deposit for carbonated beverages and curbside recycling for other plastic and glass.. We've also got a place where you can take your cardboard and old appliances ect.

sucks though, we've got styrafoam that the recycling center doesnt take, I've been having to break it apart and trash bag it.. Sad I feel awful for it but idk what else to do