Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why So Secretive About GR?
I was just wondering why FBHW are so hush-hush about being from Grand Rapids, MI when they broadcast to their affiliates?? When i first started listening to the show before i was a podcaster, on my local affiliate only i had no clue where they were based..it wasnt until i saw a joe stunt from in the studio and saw the wgrd banner that i found out. the casual listener on their local station would never know. most radio shows wouldnt hide where they are based from their audience, why does FBHW? Please dont get me wrong i am not bashing in any way! the show is great...best thing on radio hands down!! This is just something i was curious about...thanks in advance and apologies if this was already discussed.
hit_in_the_cup_with_a_face Wrote:I was just wondering why FBHW are so hush-hush about being from Grand Rapids, MI when they broadcast to their affiliates?? When i first started listening to the show before i was a podcaster, on my local affiliate only i had no clue where they were based..it wasnt until i saw a joe stunt from in the studio and saw the wgrd banner that i found out. the casual listener on their local station would never know. most radio shows wouldnt hide where they are based from their audience, why does FBHW? Please dont get me wrong i am not bashing in any way! the show is great...best thing on radio hands down!! This is just something i was curious about...thanks in advance and apologies if this was already discussed.

The casual local listener knows. They come back from each break and do a minute or two of the local news, weather etc before going out to the rest of the listening audience.
My guess is that they don't emphasize the GR connection to the wider, national audience, because they don't want to make them feel left out. They don't want the listeners in other markets feel like they are on the outside, not part of "inside talk."
Pothole is on the right track. The biggest thing is there a couple of affiliates that really want to trick their audience into thinking we live in their community. We're not really for that, but in the end its their choice. Thus we don't make a big deal about it.
Yea. I get what freebeer is saying. They are trying to make everyone seem like they are a part, not like is some secret cult that they let others tune in to.
Hey Freebeer, do the other stations Program Directors try to push you around and act like your bosses at all?

I've heard that's kinda common in syndicated shows.
Some do, most are great. In the end they all want the same thing, which is for the show to work on their station.
I KNEW IT.
You should tell us which ones so we can call and harass them.

Just tell us what listening area it rhymes with.
Thanks for finally speaking up about this, Freebeer.

That has been bugging me since the days of listening to Bob & Tom and them being hush hush on their Indianapolis base.

I can agree with not making a big deal about it on air and making it sound like a Grand Rapids show, but the What Can Joe do carney segment where you guys bleeped out the girl and Joe saying "Grand Rapids", that irritated me. We know you are not here, but don't be all 007 about your location.

I hope that the Buzz in Nashville is no one of the A-hole stations that wants us to think you are based here, even tho they have that stupid lead at the break with you saying "now lets check in with Dagwood for weather and traffic in Nashville"----retarded!

I was all over you guys for not mentioning real names until you did the "letter to yourself 10 years ago" segment and you said "Dear Greg". So I'll let you off the hook there. LOL I know you were looking for my approval.
zack Wrote:Tbut the What Can Joe do carney segment where you guys bleeped out the girl and Joe saying "Grand Rapids", that irritated me.

I answered this in another thread and no one seemed to get it.

Admin Wrote:It may have had a cuss word intelligently disguised as an adjective.

Translation: She might have said "Grand effin Rapids".
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:
zack Wrote:Tbut the What Can Joe do carney segment where you guys bleeped out the girl and Joe saying "Grand Rapids", that irritated me.

I answered this in another thread and no one seemed to get it.

Admin Wrote:It may have had a cuss word intelligently disguised as an adjective.

Translation: She might have said "Grand effin Rapids".

Try this next time:
[Image: flashcards.gif]
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
Did that thread get deleted?
My suggestion to any out of GR listeners is go to WGRD.COM and listen live to FBHW. It is worth it! Theres an extra 15-30 mins depending on the day, of extra material. Also, you can hear them come back from commercial and do the GR news and weather, most times out of area listeners will miss some precious moments that only GR can hear. You are missing out Big Grin
freebeer Wrote:Pothole is on the right track. The biggest thing is there a couple of affiliates that really want to trick their audience into thinking we live in their community. We're not really for that, but in the end its their choice. Thus we don't make a big deal about it.

Ironically, when I thought they were in St. Cloud, I thought they were a bunch of D-Bags. If I wanted to listen to a bunch of St. Cloud jerks I'd..........well, I don't have a clever remark, but that is not the point.

When I thought they were in St. Cloud I had a bias to not like them, as St. Cloud (Well, the rest of Minnesota too, for that matter) pretty much stinks as far a radio personalities. When I figured out they were from a different state, I thought I'd give them a fair shake, since they are being played in St. Cloud (why would a Michigan show be played in St. Cloud if they aren't good?).

Needless to say, I'm now hooked.
Kate Wrote:My suggestion to any out of GR listeners is go to WGRD.COM and listen live to FBHW. It is worth it! Theres an extra 15-30 mins depending on the day, of extra material. Also, you can hear them come back from commercial and do the GR news and weather, most times out of area listeners will miss some precious moments that only GR can hear. You are missing out Big Grin

I get the local stuff in the podcast. I think the podcast is definitely worth it, even if you are from GR.
zack Wrote:Did that thread get deleted?
Which thread are you referring too?

If it's the thread Biff mentioned than no, it wasn't deleted. It's right here.

http://fbhw.proboards47.com/index.cgi?bo...thread=913

The one you started.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
dino Wrote:
zack Wrote:Did that thread get deleted?
Which thread are you referring too?

If it's the thread Biff mentioned than no, it wasn't deleted. It's right here.

http://fbhw.proboards47.com/index.cgi?bo...thread=913

The one you started.

HAHAHA, That's some good stuff
Yeah, i FAIL! I forgot i put it in the appropriate section....

???
I get the feeling that the Hawk is one of those stations that wants listeners to think FBHW live in our area....cause I REALLY thought they lived in Jersey lol. I only figured it out when they were talking about their market visit out here and travel day back...I was like...Travel day back to where..Manahawkin?....wait a minute! I've been had!!!

But anyway. Been a listener for over two years and apparently a sucker for that long too lol

TheKap!
kapalua2483 Wrote:I get the feeling that the Hawk is one of those stations that wants listeners to think FBHW live in our area....cause I REALLY thought they lived in Jersey lol. I only figured it out when they were talking about their market visit out here and travel day back...I was like...Travel day back to where..Manahawkin?....wait a minute! I've been had!!!

But anyway. Been a listener for over two years and apparently a sucker for that long too lol

TheKap!

FB&HW used to do the show out of the Trenton/Princeton area on 97.5 The Hawk. I believe they picked up the Jersey Shore Hawk as an affiliate before they moved to MI. When they moved to MI, both NJ stations kept them as a syndicate, until the Trenton station changed formats.
jiggyjiggyjoe Wrote:
kapalua2483 Wrote:I get the feeling that the Hawk is one of those stations that wants listeners to think FBHW live in our area....cause I REALLY thought they lived in Jersey lol. I only figured it out when they were talking about their market visit out here and travel day back...I was like...Travel day back to where..Manahawkin?....wait a minute! I've been had!!!

TheKap!

FB&HW used to do the show out of the Trenton/Princeton area on 97.5 The Hawk. I believe they picked up the Jersey Shore Hawk as an affiliate before they moved to MI. When they moved to MI, both NJ stations kept them as a syndicate, until the Trenton station changed formats.

[Image: FAIL_Poster.jpg]
wienerpoopie Wrote:
jiggyjiggyjoe Wrote:FB&HW used to do the show out of the Trenton/Princeton area on 97.5 The Hawk. I believe they picked up the Jersey Shore Hawk as an affiliate before they moved to MI. When they moved to MI, both NJ stations kept them as a syndicate, until the Trenton station changed formats.

[Image: FAIL_Poster.jpg]

What's with the flame a-hole? Jealous that Jersey had FBHW long before GR?♠
freebeer Wrote:Pothole is on the right track. The biggest thing is there a couple of affiliates that really want to trick their audience into thinking we live in their community. We're not really for that, but in the end its their choice. Thus we don't make a big deal about it.

Sometimes I feel that Q103 in Albany tries to make it seem you live here. The DJ always says your phone number and follows it with, "that is the number to our show"....or says, "This is BJ from the FBHW show". Nice try!
GR is a secret do people know what that is????? unless you are from there. GRRRR for that question location location location isnt that what they say LOL
maximaxine Wrote:GR is a secret do people know what that is????? unless you are from there. GRRRR for that question location location location isnt that what they say LOL

Excuse me, but what the Eff are you trying to say?
I think maybe he's hinting at the recent marketing ad for GR, something like "Grand Rapids, it's a secret."
Potthole wrote-
"Re: Where are they???
This whole subject is B S! Why is it ok to talk about Maine and NJ and Tenn etc? But its alienating to talk about GR?? This is stuff that should have worn off the first year. FB, just let em know where you are!! You don't have to talk about GR all day just at least mention it so they can relate.
[quote="ashleykme"]Potthole wrote-
"Re: Where are they???
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
ratboy118 Wrote:This whole subject is B S! Why is it ok to talk about Maine and NJ and Tenn etc? But its alienating to talk about GR?? This is stuff that should have worn off the first year. FB, just let em know where you are!! You don't have to talk about GR all day just at least mention it so they can relate.

C'mon quit your whining. I don't really notice them talking about any market more than another. I listened to Bob and Tom for years and they barely mentioned the fact that they were in Indianapolis. The guys do a pretty good job of keeping everyone in the loop as far as I can see. By the way, Grand Rapids has its own segment in the show that the other markets do not get.
Whining??? Next time you listen, count how many times Grand Rapids, MI is referenced compared to any other city! Then respond!!
Whatever floats your boat
ratboy118 Wrote:Whining??? Next time you listen, count how many times Grand Rapids, MI is referenced compared to any other city! Then respond!!

Grand Rapids is a medium sized market where they are the #1 rated show in the morning.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
i've always wondered if the "road rage traffic" and news were broadcasted to the other stations.
siggy778 Wrote:i've always wondered if the "road rage traffic" and news were broadcasted to the other stations.

Nope Sad

You only get that on podcasts I believe,

to tell the truth i like hearing that, lol. I know some people hate it though.

Undecided