Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANWR oil drilling
I vote no. I vote no because I'm afraid that driving the oil prices back down will stifle interest in alternative fuels just like it did in the 80's. I'm not confident that Americans can drill there with the mindset that it is a temporary stop-gap measure against a serious oil crisis. Oil prices will fall and we will stop thinking about the day when the oil under ANWR runs out. When that day comes, we'll be in a far worse situation than we are today.

However, if the government sets up an alternative fuel project on the same level as say, the Manhattan project, then I wouldn't be opposed. That way, we'd be ready with alternative fuel technology when we need it, and we can start rolling out those vehicles before the supplies start to dwindle, that way you won't have a mass sell-off of gas-burning cars and trucks, either.
I say drill. Don't care if it changes the prices now or not. I'd just be happy to know that our country isn't relying on foreign oil as much.

...Crap, there goes my personal vow to not get involved with any further political topics.
Absolutely. Lets be self reliant and not so dependent on others
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
You both have good points, but my issue is how long will ANWR will allow us to be self-reliant? When that oil runs out, we'll be right back to where we started, but even worse off, because other countries will have been using that foreign oil all those years.
They won't allow us to stay self relient very long. besides they would be drilling in a wildlife RESERVE! I'm not an avid animal activist by any means but when it's called a reserve, it should stay one
THE EVER LOVING JAYDETHESPAZ
"How much oil is out there? According to the Department of the Interior, these restricted deepwater areas contain 19 billion barrels of oil, about 30 years' worth of imports from Saudi Arabia. And these initial energy estimates have a track record for being low." -http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380922,00.html

The point isn't to be completely self-reliant. The point is to show foreign oil companies that we don't rely solely on them either. So even if we cut our foreign oil purchasing in half, we would have 60 years worth of negotiation before oil runs out in that one specific area. Within a few years the foreign oil companies would go broke not getting American business and eventually come to their senses.

potthole Wrote:...Crap, there goes my personal vow to not get involved with any further political topics.

QFT...
That's what she said.
Allyson Wrote:QFT...
I agree.....Quails are F'n Tasty! ;D
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
Mad Dog Wrote:Absolutely. Lets be self reliant and not so dependent on others

Wouldn
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
WASHINGTON - Opening an Alaska wildlife refuge to oil development would only slightly reduce America
Drilling for oil beneath the pristine tundra of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge would do little to ease world oil prices, the federal government's energy forecasters said in a new report issued in a week that saw oil surpass $130 per barrel for the first time.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/nati...rices.html
[quote="wienerpoopie"]WASHINGTON - Opening an Alaska wildlife refuge to oil development would only slightly reduce America
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Drilling doesn't do as much good as if they coupled the drilling with building new refineries.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
[quote="Howie Feltersnatch"]
[quote="wienerpoopie"]WASHINGTON - Opening an Alaska wildlife refuge to oil development would only slightly reduce America
[Image: ANWR_map_large.jpg]
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
[Image: Caribouandoil.jpg]
What
[quote="wienerpoopie"]What
[Image: arctic-coastal-plain_7967.jpg]
ANWR Coastal Plain

[Image: 48-Coastal_Plain_summer.jpg]
[quote="wienerpoopie"]What
wienerpoopie Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:education....whats the point of the thread? It's pertinent to the thread...can't i post pictures with out a motive?

;D

The bottom one has caribou with missing bodies
wienerpoopie Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:education....whats the point of the thread? It's pertinent to the thread...can't i post pictures with out a motive?

;D

The middle one has caribou with missing bodies
[Image: bush-abdullah-oil.jpg]
wienerpoopie Wrote:[Image: bush-abdullah-oil.jpg]

I wish talk bubbles of truth appeared over my head
People would sell out their countries future for a 50cent per barrel of oil decline
ANWR:

[Image: anwr.jpg]

[Image: nm_anwr3_080416_ssh.jpg]

[quote="wienerpoopie"]People would sell out their countries future for a 50cent per barrel of oil decline
Sellout as in it
wienerpoopie Wrote:ANWR:

[Image: nm_anwr3_080416_ssh.jpg]

half truth, thats why i posted my pictures. look at the map...where is the oil going to be drilled at?
[quote="wienerpoopie"]Sellout as in it
[quote="dasbow"]
[quote="dasbow"]
wienerpoopie Wrote:
dasbow Wrote:How do youy reach that conclusion. Maybe it was preserved by the previous generation for us and its supposed to be our land. But suppose you're right - what are you going to say if our kids decide they want to drill - complain that it was really preserved for their kids?

That land was specifically set aside for ALL future generations, not just ours.
Ah, yes, I see. Locked away forever, never to be used for anything at anytime. Well, I suppose you could go hiking across a barren, mosquito infested coastal plain if you were so inclined, but no one ever seems so inclined.
wienerpoopie Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:You know what? you are right....let's not do anything about fuel prices...

The kids that are supposed to see ANWR won't be able to as they will be born in a Economic Depression, they'll be lucky to eat...but atleast they'll get to see photos of ANWR...atleast the picture of ANWR that Dems paint...hills valleys and mountains

Alternative fuels, we have a lot of years left in oil if we just started developing and using alternative fuels.

It should have been done 10-20 years ago....instead they just started to produce ehtanol and realize it's shit.
dasbow Wrote:
wienerpoopie Wrote:That land was specifically set aside for ALL future generations, not just ours.
Ah, yes, I see. Locked away forever, never to be used for anything at anytime. Well, I suppose you could go hiking across a barren, mosquito infested coastal plain if you were so inclined, but no one ever seems so inclined.

You
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
wienerpoopie Wrote:Alternative fuels, we have a lot of years left in oil if we just started developing and using alternative fuels.

It should have been done 10-20 years ago....instead they just started to produce ehtanol and realize it's shit.

What about hydrogen, electric, geothermal, wind, all could be used and developed
Wiener, do you have information to back up this "50 cents per barrel" claim?
Go fuck yourself. Hard.