Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books and junk
What do you read?

I've been ODing on Harlen Coben as of late. His Myron Bolitar books are outstanding - great characters, excellent dialogue, very humorous. Good brain candy.

About a year ago I got turned on to Ted Dekker. His Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, White) was probably the most engaging series of books I've ever read. If you want a good action-packed saga with some not-so-obvious Christian overtones, that's the series to check out. It's a good message, but it doesn't hit you over the head with it like the Left Behind series. I think anyone would like those books, as the Christian undertones are pretty subtle.
Playboy
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
Playboy
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
I loved reading John Grisham's novels . . . kind of fits in with most of my life's career of law.
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Back about 10 years or so ago, I was in my turbo charged Rah Rah Jesus phase. and I loved Frank Peretti. The Oath is still one of my fave books to this day.

Currently I am re-reading IT by Stephen King.

I just finished Time Spike by Eric Flint, where a modern day maximum security prison is sent back in time, along with a group of American Indians, and a group of Conquistadors, to the Cretacous period.

I really like alternate history specifically when it has a fantasy element to it. Specifially authors like Harry Turtledove, and really especially S.M. Stirling

Here's a few faves:

The guns of the South, where terrorists from the year 2020 travel back to the 1860s during the American Civil war and give the south thousands of AK 47s

Dies The Fire: What if, suddently everything electronic, mechanical, and high energy quit working ? Cars, guns, batteries, phones etc.

good stuff homey
Wowie Groovie !
wienerpoopie Wrote:Playboy

I was going to point out that Playboy is one word, but decided against it.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:Back about 10 years or so ago, I was in my turbo charged Rah Rah Jesus phase. and I loved Frank Peretti. The Oath is still one of my fave books to this day.

Currently I am re-reading IT by Stephen King.

I just finished Time Spike by Eric Flint, where a modern day maximum security prison is sent back in time, along with a group of American Indians, and a group of Conquistadors, to the Cretacous period.

I really like alternate history specifically when it has a fantasy element to it. Specifially authors like Harry Turtledove, and really especially S.M. Stirling

Here's a few faves:

The guns of the South, where terrorists from the year 2020 travel back to the 1860s during the American Civil war and give the south thousands of AK 47s

Dies The Fire: What if, suddently everything electronic, mechanical, and high energy quit working ? Cars, guns, batteries, phones etc.

good stuff homey

Sounds like some interesting stuff - I'll have to check a couple of those out.

I was huge into King when I was in high school and college, then dropped him altogether. After he finished the Gunslinger series, I re-read all the books that I had read, then finished the series off. Great reads. I just recently re-read The Long Walk, and was pretty disappointed. Way too violent for my liking.

I think you'd really enjoy the Circle Trilogy. It's about a guy who accidentally discovers there is a parallel world that is inter-related to our world. He becomes a great leader in the parallel world and has to figure out a way to save both worlds from certain destruction. Extremely entertaining, lots of fantasy stuff mixed in.
Poopie "reads" Playboy. What a homo. :Smile
Titan ! Wrote:Dies The Fire: What if, suddently everything electronic, mechanical, and high energy quit working ? Cars, guns, batteries, phones etc.

Is that the name of the book "Dies the Fire"? Sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to look that one up.
Queenie Wrote:I loved reading John Grisham's novels . . . kind of fits in with most of my life's career of law.

I enjoyed some of Grisham's earlier stuff. The Firm is a classic. But he pretty much lost me with The Testament. That was a piece of mailed-in crap on a cracker.
I used to have a job where I would have a bunch of time on my hands to read and I would read a ton. Unfortunately I'm too busy to do that now but I really like Bill Bryson. I'm a stranger here myself, A History of nearly everything. Pretty interesting writer.
Quote of the Day:
"I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system." - George Costanza
Queenie Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Dies The Fire: What if, suddently everything electronic, mechanical, and high energy quit working ? Cars, guns, batteries, phones etc.

Is that the name of the book "Dies the Fire"? Sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to look that one up.

Yes, Dies the Fire is the name of the first book in the trilogy, by S. M. Stirling

There's a companion Trilogy by the same author, where as our world is changed and things stop working. The Island of Nantucket is sent back in time 4000 years, and all of their technology keeps working, and the survivors need to band together and try to forge a new world.

This guy is a historian as well as an author and there is a lot of historical detail written into his work, so there is a feel of authenticity that is lacking in most time travel schlock.
Wowie Groovie !
Fistor Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:I loved reading John Grisham's novels . . . kind of fits in with most of my life's career of law.

I enjoyed some of Grisham's earlier stuff. The Firm is a classic. But he pretty much lost me with The Testament. That was a piece of mailed-in crap on a cracker.

Ironically, The Testament was my first Grisham, and I got turned onto it by an article in Christianity Today comparing Grisham and Peretti. I then read everything he had published, and Rainmaker is in my top 10 all time favorite books.

Rainmaker is another one of those books that I can just pick up and open to any page and fall in for an hour or two.
Wowie Groovie !
I've been reading a hell of alot of stephen king lately, since reading the Dark Tower series last summer. Just finished "Insomnia" which was suprisingly good, and now I'm reading "The Shining" for the first time.

After that, I think I'll take a break from King and read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"
flyersfantn Wrote:I've been reading a hell of alot of stephen king lately, since reading the Dark Tower series last summer. Just finished "Insomnia" which was suprisingly good, and now I'm reading "The Shining" for the first time.

After that, I think I'll take a break from King and read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"

The Shining is an outstanding book. Enjoy it. It's nothing much like the movie at all, which is nice. The movie was great, too (my favorite horror flick), but the book is great in it's own way.

Funny, I re-read Insomnia right after reading the Dark Tower series as well. What a coincidence. Wink

The only book I've ever read three times is The Talisman by King and Peter Straub. I absolutely adored that book.

You should probably also pick up The Stand too. Probably his best book.
Behold the Pale Horse, big ol' government conspiracy book...pretty cool...Pre 9-11 so it's none of that garbage...this is good ol fashioned Area 51 and whatnots
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
On Writing, by Stephen King.

Simply the best book about writing ever written. It's partly autobiographical, specfically about King's life as a writer, and partly a "how to" book for aspiring writers.

Here's the gist of the how to part.

Want to be a writer ? You have to do two things. Read a lot, and write a lot. That's it, that's the secret.

I've read that book 4 or 5 times, and listened to the audio version a dozen or more times. The audio version is best because it's read by King himself, and I think it's his best reading ever. It's inspiring for anyone who wants to write, but I even find it inspiring as a photographer.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:Is that the name of the book "Dies the Fire"? Sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to look that one up.

Yes, Dies the Fire is the name of the first book in the trilogy, by S. M. Stirling

There's a companion Trilogy by the same author, where as our world is changed and things stop working. The Island of Nantucket is sent back in time 4000 years, and all of their technology keeps working, and the survivors need to band together and try to forge a new world.

This guy is a historian as well as an author and there is a lot of historical detail written into his work, so there is a feel of authenticity that is lacking in most time travel schlock.

This is sounding more and more interesting. I'm definitely checking it out. Thanks!
Fistor Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Yes, Dies the Fire is the name of the first book in the trilogy, by S. M. Stirling

This is sounding more and more interesting. I'm definitely checking it out. Thanks!

Want to borrow mine ? They're in crappy condition cause i've loaned them out a dozen times. My books get the hell beat out of them. The first thing I do with a new hardcover is take the dust jacket off and promptly lose it.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:This is sounding more and more interesting. I'm definitely checking it out. Thanks!

Want to borrow mine ? They're in crappy condition cause i've loaned them out a dozen times. My books get the hell beat out of them. The first thing I do with a new hardcover is take the dust jacket off and promptly lose it.

Nah, no telling when I'd get to it. After I finish my current Harlen Coben novel (Gone For Good), I have three Brad Thor novels to get to. Don't know what to expect, but the friend who loaned them to me says they're pretty good. Thanks anyway.
Fistor Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Want to borrow mine ? They're in crappy condition cause i've loaned them out a dozen times. My books get the hell beat out of them. The first thing I do with a new hardcover is take the dust jacket off and promptly lose it.

Nah, no telling when I'd get to it. After I finish my current Harlen Coben novel (Gone For Good), I have three Brad Thor novels to get to. Don't know what to expect, but the friend who loaned them to me says they're pretty good. Thanks anyway.

I always thought Brad Thor was just a cool name for any profession. Brad Thor author, Brad Thor Plumber. Brad Thor bananna hamock salesman. It works every time.
Wowie Groovie !
Love to read Tom Clancy. I'm currently wrapping up Rainbow Six. I read it back in middle school when it first came out, so I decided it would be nice to re-visit it. I'm then going to hit up the other novels from the "Jack Ryan world" that I haven't gotten to yet, Hunt for Red October, Clear and Presant Danger, Sum of All Fears.

One of my favorite things of being done with college is that I actually enjoy reading again. During school I pretty much quit reading for pleasure, because I was so burnt out from reading textbooks.
I read the DC and Marvel comic encyclopedia's cover to cover. And the Rollingstone Rock and Roll Encyclopedia....deer hunting is boring when there is no deer.
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
I had no time for fun reading during college, but during summer breaks I'd polish off 7 or 8 books.

I read hunt for Red October, and Teeth of the Tiger, and I am really waiting for his next book, which I understand has been in development for 8 or 9 years ?
Wowie Groovie !
I too absolutely love Harlan Coben. Also, the Lee Child series with Jack Reacher. Another favorite is Jeffery Deaver, he has the Lincoln Rhyme series which is always good. Deaver also wrote one of my favorite books ever called "Garden of Beasts". Dean Koontz is good but, he, like Stephen King, sometimes writes too much and the books start to run together or sound the same.

Philip Margolin is also good. I could go on but, those are my personal top few.
I used to listen to Grisham's books on tape. That was so awesome because the dude that "read" them was great. A Painted House was probably one of my favorites, and I liked the Rainmaker too. Didn't Matt Damon play the lawyer in the movie?
Titan ! Wrote:
wienerpoopie Wrote:Playboy

I was going to point out that Playboy is one word, but decided against it.

Spelled incorrect because the only books I own are college text books I never sold back
wienerpoopie Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:I was going to point out that Playboy is one word, but decided against it.

Spelled incorrect because the only books I own are college text books I never sold back
Wowie Groovie !
[quote="Titan ! "]
[quote="wienerpoopie"]

Don't we all love that scam. Textbook $85 beginning of semester. Same book at end of semester that you barely used...uh we will give you $5. Same book at beginning of next semester $80.
Thank god I'm not a nursing student. Those kids dropped an extra 500 per semester for books, and every single year they had to buy new ones.
Wowie Groovie !
My GF
Titan ! Wrote:I had no time for fun reading during college, but during summer breaks I'd polish off 7 or 8 books.

I read hunt for Red October, and Teeth of the Tiger, and I am really waiting for his next book, which I understand has been in development for 8 or 9 years ?

Sadly, from what I understand books involving what's known as the "Jack Ryan Universe" (Clark, Ryan, Ding, etc) are now done. Red Rabbit and Teeth were his last two in that series, if you can call the novels a series.

Rainbow Six and Without Remorse are my two favorite book involving those characters, out of the ones I've read thus far.
brytn Wrote:Don't we all love that scam. Textbook $85 beginning of semester. Same book at end of semester that you barely used...uh we will give you $5. Same book at beginning of next semester $80.

The bookstore at my university introduced a new thing during my last semester there. Keep your original reciept and get 100% of what you paid back. The only thing was, they didn't tell you that when you made your purchase.

I can't help wonder if they ever did that again after I left, because I think they wound up getting twice the number of furious students when it came back to sell-back time.
potthole Wrote:
brytn Wrote:Don't we all love that scam. Textbook $85 beginning of semester. Same book at end of semester that you barely used...uh we will give you $5. Same book at beginning of next semester $80.

The bookstore at my university introduced a new thing during my last semester there. Keep your original reciept and get 100% of what you paid back. The only thing was, they didn't tell you that when you made your purchase.

I can't help wonder if they ever did that again after I left, because I think they wound up getting twice the number of furious students when it came back to sell-back time.

That's a shitty thing to do. College bookstores are such a racket.

I was looking forward to the next Jack Ryan Jr. Book, I really liked Teeth of the Tiger.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
potthole Wrote:The bookstore at my university introduced a new thing during my last semester there. Keep your original reciept and get 100% of what you paid back. The only thing was, they didn't tell you that when you made your purchase.

That's a shitty thing to do. College bookstores are such a racket.

I was looking forward to the next Jack Ryan Jr. Book, I really liked Teeth of the Tiger.

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with those theives anymore. I think I got into some sort of argument with them each and every semester.
I just finished the only Palahniuk novel I hadn't ever read.. Invisible Monsters...

It'll probably be cookbooks for me for the immediate future...
I'm also about 1/3 of the way through the Witchblade compendium, (it's the first 50 issues of the regular comic series) but I realized last night that I just don't care about any of the characters, and I have no interest in the story, or learning any of the mystery around the witchblade itself.

If you're looking for a good series of graphic novels, I recommend Fables to anyone, whether you like comic books or not. It's the story of the characters from fables and fairy tales, (Snow White, Cinderella, Big Bad Wolf etc) being driven from their home lands and having to re-settle in modern day New York. This is some of the best comic book writing I've ever read,
Wowie Groovie !
I just read "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck. I would really like to try to read more "clasics". But, I need a change today so I thought I would give Stephenie Meyer a try. She seems to be all the rage now. A co-worker brought in "Twilight" for me. I'll start it tonight and see.
mainerliser Wrote:I just read "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck. I would really like to try to read more "clasics". But, I need a change today so I thought I would give Stephenie Meyer a try. She seems to be all the rage now. A co-worker brought in "Twilight" for me. I'll start it tonight and see.

I effin HATED "The Good Earth".