Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things You Hate / Annoyances
potthole Wrote:Sort of opposite of that, are people who drive way too fast in certain places. Like the neighborhood I grew up in. Little kids ALL OVER the place, running around, darting out from behind stuff into the street, kicking/hitting balls into the road, etc.

When I drive through there, I'm right at the posted 25 mph speed limit- I'll be damned if I nail a kid with my car. Then some dolt will fly past at probably 45. I would always feel awful for thinking it, but there were times I almost hoped somebody would hit a kid, just to raise some awareness about how stupidly people would drive through that place.

I smell hypocrisy.... disturbing on only one level.
lokizilla Wrote:I hate when your at work at a call center and a person calls in and while filing a cellphone claim they start having sex while on the phone with you.

That happens to me all the time
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
wienerpoopie Wrote:
lokizilla Wrote:I hate when your at work at a call center and a person calls in and while filing a cellphone claim they start having sex while on the phone with you.

That happens to me all the time

Umm..okay.
Queenie Wrote:
lokizilla Wrote:Cat farts....my cat just farted on my husband...it's reeking.

My boxer used to let some horrible ones. Her nose is so small she can't breath when she eats, so she doesn't chew her food very well.

Apparently two of my four cats, when they are not happy with us, let out deadly farts that singe nose hair.
Queenie Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:People who are socially inept, or are completely unaware of their surroundings. I was walking to my gate yesterday in Atlanta's airport (which kinda happens to be North America's busiest) and suddenly the woman in front of me decided to completely stop in her tracks because apparently some random thought had occurred to her. So, me and the 17,000 people immediately behind me had to take evasive action, lest this senseless idiot be trampled.

I hate traveling through Atlanta. You arrive at the end of one terminal and leave at the end of another one.

Agreed, but Detroit is worse. Usually when I land there, I have to walk at least three frigging miles to get to my next flight.
Fistor Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:I hate traveling through Atlanta. You arrive at the end of one terminal and leave at the end of another one.

Agreed, but Detroit is worse. Usually when I land there, I have to walk at least three frigging miles to get to my next flight.

Both times I flew to Detroit my gates were no more than 50 feet away from each other
Fistor Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:I hate traveling through Atlanta. You arrive at the end of one terminal and leave at the end of another one.

Did you have to take a train too (hey Biff I got it right) or did they have people movers? That's another thing that annoys me, there are 2 sides on a people mover, if you want to stand still get to the right, because we want to walk on by on the left. Kinda like the interstate . . . its called a slow lane, effin find it.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
When sending out packages to people, they tell you that you don't need the address.... "So you want it sent to the school, may I have the address?" "You don't need an address...Everyone in this town knows where the school is....if the driver has any questions he can just stop at the Piggly Wiggly to get directions."
People that when asked a simple question, can't answer the question and have to give unnecessary background. "What is wrong with the phone you are calling about?" "Well my Mom bought it from my cousin, who bought it from his friend...." Just get to the point.
wienerpoopie Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:Agreed, but Detroit is worse. Usually when I land there, I have to walk at least three frigging miles to get to my next flight.

Both times I flew to Detroit my gates were no more than 50 feet away from each other

Well then, there you have it.
Traveling international through O'Hare is a nightmare; especially when the trains aren't running.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
brytn Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:I've encountered this annoyance before but why does it matter and why should anyone care?

Doesn't matter in the long run. But, this was not the board for what should people be shot on sight for doing. It is things you hate/annoyances. And this is an annoyance for me...and apparently dino. Start another thread for the the stuff that matters and people care about.

Ok you got me, heres what annoys me: People who give a ratts ass about which way the toilet paper comes off the roll. -1
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
jus' P Wrote:
potthole Wrote:Sort of opposite of that, are people who drive way too fast in certain places. Like the neighborhood I grew up in. Little kids ALL OVER the place, running around, darting out from behind stuff into the street, kicking/hitting balls into the road, etc.

When I drive through there, I'm right at the posted 25 mph speed limit- I'll be damned if I nail a kid with my car. Then some dolt will fly past at probably 45. I would always feel awful for thinking it, but there were times I almost hoped somebody would hit a kid, just to raise some awareness about how stupidly people would drive through that place.

I smell hypocrisy.... disturbing on only one level.

I've been busted. There's nothing I can say, you caught me. My car comment is right along your Olympic comment.
aarone46 Wrote:I've got a couple of linguistic pet peeves...

It's far too common for people to double up the word "is" and say things like, "The thing is is that..." or "The problem is is that..." The second "is" makes absolutely no sense, and so many people have no idea that this phenomenon even exists.

Secondly, just like someone above talked about the overuse of the term "ironic," the same is true for "literally." John was so distressed after his girlfriend dumped him, his heart was literally torn in half. If that were true, he'd literally be dead! You can't use the word "literally" simply to emphasize a point, yet sadly so many do.

Can you tell I was an English major?

Yep. I'm with you on that one. I'm an English major too so constantly repetative mistakes like that get on my nerves and they make me look like a total dick. I can't stand people who put an extra e in the word judgment. I know the extra e is accepted nowadays but traditionally it's not there.

If I sat here and thought about it I could come up with one million more little English language pet peeves.
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
Allright mayor. You have to take a slight beating. You started a great thread and I am giving you a +1 for that. But, if you say you are an English major, you can't have such a bad run-on sentence. Also, repetative is spelled repetitive. Wink
The thing that usually drives me up the wall is when people are talking and they interject slang... which is fine in itself but when you work at a hotel (like I DO) and you are trying to tell a guest how to do something or get somewhere and they start talking like they would at home cusing every other word...

Also using lol, rolf, brb.... it takes an extra second to type it out... Just do it
brytn Wrote:Allright mayor. You have to take a slight beating. You started a great thread and I am giving you a +1 for that. But, if you say you are an English major, you can't have such a bad run-on sentence. Also, repetative is spelled repetitive. Wink

Ha, fair enough. That's the difference between writing seriously and typing on a messageboard. Serious writing involves editing and spell checking. Messageboard posting doesn't for me. Wink
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
Mad Dog Wrote:
brytn Wrote:Doesn't matter in the long run. But, this was not the board for what should people be shot on sight for doing. It is things you hate/annoyances. And this is an annoyance for me...and apparently dino. Start another thread for the the stuff that matters and people care about.

Ok you got me, heres what annoys me: People who give a ratts ass about which way the toilet paper comes off the roll. -1

When it's rolled on the backside, you often have to scrape the wall with your fingers to get it. These are the same fingers that are wiping your ass. The same fingers that are smearing small amounts of fecal matter on the wall. The same wall that the next person has to scrape to get a couple squares. Get it?
Why do you have fecal matter on your fingers ?
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:Why do you have fecal matter on your fingers ?

Do you understand things exist that you can't see?
Fistor Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:Ok you got me, heres what annoys me: People who give a ratts ass about which way the toilet paper comes off the roll. -1

When it's rolled on the backside, you often have to scrape the wall with your fingers to get it. These are the same fingers that are wiping your ass. The same fingers that are smearing small amounts of fecal matter on the wall. The same wall that the next person has to scrape to get a couple squares. Get it?

Ok, when you put it that way...ok, personaly I just touch the front of the roll with my finger tips and kinda sweep it forward when the TP is comming off the top. I don't jam my hand down the backside of the roll.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
I've been trying to figure out this line of thinking for years...

One of my friends refuses to use hand dryers in bathrooms. The say it's because they have fecal matter on the bottom of the blower, and using them covers your hands with fecal matter. I can see the button being "dirty" but not the blower. And the button is even a bit of a stretch in my mind, because if you're going to use the hand dryer, it's probably because your hands are wet- which means you probably just got done washing them.
potthole Wrote:I've been trying to figure out this line of thinking for years...

One of my friends refuses to use hand dryers in bathrooms. The say it's because they have fecal matter on the bottom of the blower, and using them covers your hands with fecal matter. I can see the button being "dirty" but not the blower. And the button is even a bit of a stretch in my mind, because if you're going to use the hand dryer, it's probably because your hands are wet- which means you probably just got done washing them.

Never heard that one. I hate the damn things because they take too long to dry your hands.
Fistor Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Why do you have fecal matter on your fingers ?

Do you understand things exist that you can't see?

So wait... Let me see if I understand you correctly.

You're going #2.

You drop you pants, sit down, do the deed, and POW you reach for the TP, and you automatically have poo fingers ?

You and I must do this differently.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:Do you understand things exist that you can't see?

So wait... Let me see if I understand you correctly.

You're going #2.

You drop you pants, sit down, do the deed, and POW you reach for the TP, and you automatically have poo fingers ?

You and I must do this differently.

Retard, have you ever had to wipe more than once in one sitting? Stop making me overexplain the obvious.
potthole Wrote:I've been trying to figure out this line of thinking for years...

Some people take germophobia to the extreme. I would think that the only way fecal matter could get on the button or the bottom of the blower is if someone intentionally put it there. I'd be more worried about the door handle, personally.
While I'm confident there are more, this should suffice for now. In no order other than that in which I thought of them:

- People who can't drive through a traffic circle properly. Don't STOP in the middle of your lap.
- People who can't merge onto the highway. Please be up to speed by the end of the ramp.
- Overbearing politicians who can't let us live our own lives. I'm talking to you, trans-fat, outdoor smoking bill writer.
- People who use the word "disorientate".
- People who get a news camera in front of them and feel the need to use Law and Order talk - "At this point time, the perpetrator was apprehended." No, you caught the suspect. End of story.
- People who say "whenever" when they should only say "when". As in, "I remember whenever I apprehended the perpetrator."
- People who don't know the difference between singular and plural. A board can not be "ten foot long."
- FREEBEER - when he says "Would've you done it that way originally?" It should be "WOULD YOU HAVE..." Not "Would have you..."
- People who hate a song/poem because it doesn't rhyme. It doesn't have to. Also, there's a literary tool called a "forced rhyme". It doesn't have to be EXACT.
- People who discredit something as art because they think anyone can do it. Let's be honest, you can't.

EDIT:
- People who say "alls". "Alls I want is ice cream."
- People who don't know what to do when you get to an intersection and the light is out. That's supposed to be treated as a 4-way stop. Don't just blow through the light. One of these days I'm going to just pull out so you hit me.
hotzester Wrote:....
- People who discredit something as art because they think anyone can do it. Let's be honest, you can't.

[Image: painting_jackson_pollock.jpg]

I don't care what you think. This isn't art. Jackson Pollock is not an artist. I can do this. A 10 year old can do this.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
when you try to open a can of soup and the lid falls in, its bullshit
Quote:I don't care what you think. This isn't art. Jackson Pollock is not an artist. I can do this. A 10 year old can do this.

Do you know what Pollock's inspiration was for that painting? What type of feelings he was trying to evoke? Art isn't just about what it looks like.

A ten year old can scribble, but every one of those lines was put there for a reason (even if it was on an unconscious level, as a lot of Pollock's pieces were), that's what makes it art.

He didn't just sit down and scribble, like a 10-year-old would. He had a vision, a feeling, that he wanted to put onto canvas.

And while I know this painting is called "Number 18", I couldn't begin to tell you what his motivation for it was.
eff off with this "art" bullshit. that word gets thrown around so much as a way to make people see it as that but in reality it's as artistic as a bowel movement after eating at Taco Bell.

i remember hearing a story about a guy hanging dead dogs and calling it "art".

to be a artist you need talent. if it's something anybody can do then it's not "art", it's just "something i can do".
hotzester Wrote:
Quote:I don't care what you think. This isn't art. Jackson Pollock is not an artist. I can do this. A 10 year old can do this.

Do you know what Pollock's inspiration was for that painting? What type of feelings he was trying to evoke? Art isn't just about what it looks like.

A ten year old can scribble, but every one of those lines was put there for a reason (even if it was on an unconscious level, as a lot of Pollock's pieces were), that's what makes it art.

He didn't just sit down and scribble, like a 10-year-old would. He had a vision, a feeling, that he wanted to put onto canvas.

And while I know this painting is called "Number 18", I couldn't begin to tell you what his motivation for it was.

Trust me... I've heard this argument before. My girlfriend is an artist (a good one, not that abstract bullshit) That's a bunch of crap. Just because he wanted to make you 'feel' a certain way doesn't make it art. If I crap on a canvas, and say that I wanted it to make you feel sick, is that art? If I threw a bunch of colors on a canvas, and asked you, "How does that make you feel?" suddenly that's art? Bullshit.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Quote:Trust me... I've heard this argument before. My girlfriend is an artist (a good one, not that abstract bullshit) That's a bunch of crap. Just because he wanted to make you 'feel' a certain way doesn't make it art. If I crap on a canvas, and say that I wanted it to make you feel sick, is that art? If I threw a bunch of colors on a canvas, and asked you, "How does that make you feel?" suddenly that's art? Bullshit.

Where to begin?

1. You've heard this argument before. I don't doubt it. It's been explained for centuries.

2. Your girlfriend is an artist, but a good one, not this abstract bullshit. That one, incredibly arrogant statement confirms that you don't know ANYTHING about art. An artist can't be good or bad. You can not be into a certain artist's work, but that doesn't mean they're bad. It's just not your taste.

3. Your "poo on a canvas" metaphor is fascinating.

4. Random colors, then you ask me how it makes me feel. Nope, not art. Art expresses how YOU feel and attempts to evoke a shared reaction out of those who see it.

5. Bullshit. More fecal statements. It really is interesting to see how much you depend on those.
Oops - and Becky, define talent to me please. Not the dictionary definition, but how YOU define talent.
hotzester Wrote:Oops - and Becky, define talent to me please. Not the dictionary definition, but how YOU define talent.

being skilled at something an average person can't do.

i.e. you're talented at defending talentless "artists".
Jo Wrote:
hotzester Wrote:Oops - and Becky, define talent to me please. Not the dictionary definition, but how YOU define talent.

being skilled at something an average person can't do.

i.e. you're talented at defending talentless "artists".

Art is in the eye of the beholder, everyone has a different opinion on something
Quote:being skilled at something an average person can't do.

Would you define photography as art? What about sculpting? I can take my camera and snap a photo. So can you. You can take a lump of clay and make it into a different shape. Is sculpting not art?
hotzester Wrote:
Quote:Trust me... I've heard this argument before. My girlfriend is an artist (a good one, not that abstract bullshit) That's a bunch of crap. Just because he wanted to make you 'feel' a certain way doesn't make it art. If I crap on a canvas, and say that I wanted it to make you feel sick, is that art? If I threw a bunch of colors on a canvas, and asked you, "How does that make you feel?" suddenly that's art? Bullshit.

Where to begin?

1. You've heard this argument before. I don't doubt it. It's been explained for centuries.

2. Your girlfriend is an artist, but a good one, not this abstract bullshit. That one, incredibly arrogant statement confirms that you don't know ANYTHING about art. An artist can't be good or bad. You can not be into a certain artist's work, but that doesn't mean they're bad. It's just not your taste.

3. Your "poo on a canvas" metaphor is fascinating.

4. Random colors, then you ask me how it makes me feel. Nope, not art. Art expresses how YOU feel and attempts to evoke a shared reaction out of those who see it.

5. Bullshit. More fecal statements. It really is interesting to see how much you depend on those.

Apparently bullshit is the word of the day for me!

1/2. There is good and bad art. Stick people = bad. Michelangelo = good (and the best turtle too!)

3. Facinating good, or bad?

4. So, if the audience happens to feel the same as I did while I was painting it, then it's art? If they don't, then it's not art?

5. like I said... word of the day!
I looked up the definition of art and got 20 different answers.
hotzester Wrote:
Quote:being skilled at something an average person can't do.

Would you define photography as art? What about sculpting? I can take my camera and snap a photo. So can you. You can take a lump of clay and make it into a different shape. Is sculpting not art?

It takes a good photographer to take a great shot though. (I don't consider it an art) And not everyone can sculpt something.