Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things You Hate / Annoyances
RM - fascinating, weird. Tongue

Here's the thing - you say "it takes a good photographer to take a great shot." What makes them good? What makes the shot great?

And yes, everyone can sculpt something. I can take a cube of clay and make it into a pyramid of clay with relative ease. I've changed the shape from a cube to a pyramid. Sculpting is nothing more than re-shaping a medium. Who decides HOW MUCH you need to reshape it before it is considered art?
I made a pencil holder with clay, that
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
hotzester Wrote:RM - fascinating, weird. Tongue

Here's the thing - you say "it takes a good photographer to take a great shot." What makes them good? What makes the shot great?

And yes, everyone can sculpt something. I can take a cube of clay and make it into a pyramid of clay with relative ease. I've changed the shape from a cube to a pyramid. Sculpting is nothing more than re-shaping a medium. Who decides HOW MUCH you need to reshape it before it is considered art?

Like I said, I don't consider photography art. And like Becky is saying- it doesn't take talent to shape a cube into a pyramid. We can all do that. It takes talent (and an artist) to take that clay and shape it into a horse, gargoyle, etc...
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
hotzester Wrote:Would you define photography as art? What about sculpting? I can take my camera and snap a photo. So can you. You can take a lump of clay and make it into a different shape. Is sculpting not art?

again, it's art only if it's something good. a good picture, a good sculpture, a good drawing. amateur snapshots, clay figures, and doodles shouldn't be called "art" because the skilled involved is non-existant.
Why does a particular task require talent? Anyone can play football, race a car, but they're still football players and race car drivers even if they suck.
The thing about art, RM, is that you don't HAVE to like it. That's what makes it such a beautiful concept. You can like some, and not like others. Someone can like yours, or they may not. It doesn't make it any more or less "art". It's just not your style.

Think of it like food. I don't like fish. At all. Is fish not food? Of course it is. I just don't like it.
And in regards to the "anyone can do it" approach - this is a weak defense. Who decides if someone has successfully "done it"?

I can make something and say it's a house, and you can come along and say "Well it doesn't look like MY house, so it's obviously not a house." Does that mean I've not accomplished what I wanted to do and therefore is not art?
hotzester Wrote:And in regards to the "anyone can do it" approach - this is a weak defense.

no, a weak defense is answering us with questions.

Rock Monster, he's all yours. i'm done.
Becky, I do exalt you for your efforts, we just disagree. I don't think any one person has the ability to declare whether or not something is art, or whether or not someone is an artist.
hotzester Wrote:The thing about art, RM, is that you don't HAVE to like it. That's what makes it such a beautiful concept. You can like some, and not like others. Someone can like yours, or they may not. It doesn't make it any more or less "art". It's just not your style.

Think of it like food. I don't like fish. At all. Is fish not food? Of course it is. I just don't like it.

I'm not saying, "I don't like it, therefore it's not art." I'm saying that abstract bullshit (ding ding, word of the day) is NOT art.

Lets try this. You're saying it's how the artist was feeling, and how the viewers feel. a four year old won't be able to relay thier feeling like that. Tell me which one is the 4 year old, and which one is the adult:

a)
[Image: 100504_marla_olmstead.jpg]

b)
[Image: pollock001-main_Full.jpg]
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Singing is art, my dog is very good at howling, and therefore I consider my dog an artist
Alright...
Everyone seems to be getting annoyed with the annoyances thread. I'll tap out on the art issue too.
Your premise is flawed in that you're decreeing that only one of them must be art. I see them both as art.

Look, I can debate this with you all day, we're not going to agree. My point is that I'm not nearly qualified enough (nor is anyone else, to be clear) to declare "that's not art". Actually, I said very early on that a 4 year old is very capable of creating art, but what makes Pollock different than a 4 year old is that he had a vision. It's not random scribbles. Now you're going to respond by saying that only one of the two images you put up are art.

I'm going to take my chances and assume that both were painted by four year olds. And guess what? I think they're both art.
Thanks to you all for not being retards and trying to go personal - I do enjoy a good intelligent debate, and you guys kept up your ends refreshingly well! Thanks!
hotzester Wrote:... but what makes Pollock different than a 4 year old is that he had a vision. It's not random scribbles. ...

Sorry, I had to respond to this...

apparently random scribbles now is art?

btw, a is a 4 year old, b is an adult.

OK, I'm done now. Off to lunch!
I thought a looked better than b. I am impressed with the 4 year olds work, but think the "artist" of b is a d-bag. Get a real effin' job like the rest of us, ass!!!!
Rock Monster Wrote:a)
[Image: 100504_marla_olmstead.jpg]

Looks like the kid got a hold of a bunch of condiment bottles.

No no junior, mommy said stay out of the refrigerator . . .what the eff?? Oh my God . . .it's ART!
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
This is in Geneva:

[Image: middelheim-9a.jpg]

A giant inflatable dog turd. It's considered "art." Are you kidding me? THAT is not art.
Speaking of soccer....

I Effing detest whenever I see an Olympic caliber athlete flopping around on the ground, grabbing at his/her shin, after no one at all touched him/her. I want to like soccer, I really do, but that garbage makes me scream at the TV louder than watching the Lions get prison raped by, say, the Eagles on national TV.
I have to agree with you on that one. Every sport has it's floppers, but soccer seems to be the only sport where they act like they are dying, only to get up 1 minute later, and start playing again.

Of couse there's Pierce in the NBA finals, but that's a different story for a different time!
Fistor Wrote:I effing detest whenever I see an Olympic caliber athlete flopping around on the ground, grabbing at his/her shin, after no one at all touched him/her. I want to like soccer, I really do, but that garbage makes me scream at the TV louder than watching the Lions get prison raped by, say, the Eagles on national TV.

you hate soccer? it's a game of endurance so i can understand if it doesn't appeal to someone like you.
Jo Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:I effing detest whenever I see an Olympic caliber athlete flopping around on the ground, grabbing at his/her shin, after no one at all touched him/her. I want to like soccer, I really do, but that garbage makes me scream at the TV louder than watching the Lions get prison raped by, say, the Eagles on national TV.

you hate soccer? it's a game of endurance so i can understand if it doesn't appeal to someone like you.

Zing!
Rock Monster Wrote:I have to agree with you on that one. Every sport has it's floppers, but soccer seems to be the only sport where they act like they are dying, only to get up 1 minute later, and start playing again.

Of couse there's Pierce in the NBA finals, but that's a different story for a different time!

You won't catch me arguing on Paul Pierce's behalf, to be sure. However, he's been practically skewered by the media because of his ridiculous antics. Soccer players don't get penalized at all for their retarded flopping, it's just part of the game. I can't stand that crap. Get the Eff up, pussy. Play the game. Effing grass fairy.
Jo Wrote:

I said I want to like it. I love the tradition of it and the fact that it's popular all over the world. You can find a competitive match between teams from completely different continents, and have been able to for years.

Endurance? I see a bunch of slow jogging interrupted by a few spurts of sprinting, not full out running from one side of the field to the next. I'd wager an average NBA player's average heart rate over the span of an entire game is much more than a professional soccer player.
then you'd lose that wager.
Jo Wrote:then you'd lose that wager.

Agreed
Jo Wrote:then you'd lose that wager.

Disagreed, but whatever.

Regardless, as a soccer player, do you get embarrassed seeing these professional athletes flopping around on the ground trying to draw a card? Does that bother you? Or is it just a part of the game that I don't understand?
aarone46 Wrote:I've got a couple of linguistic pet peeves...

It's far too common for people to double up the word "is" and say things like, "The thing is is that..." or "The problem is is that..." The second "is" makes absolutely no sense, and so many people have no idea that this phenomenon even exists.

Secondly, just like someone above talked about the overuse of the term "ironic," the same is true for "literally." John was so distressed after his girlfriend dumped him, his heart was literally torn in half. If that were true, he'd literally be dead! You can't use the word "literally" simply to emphasize a point, yet sadly so many do.

Can you tell I was an English major?

I'll add mine to that.

People who say they "seen something"
People that say "for all intensive purposes" You mostly catch that in emails and message boards.
People that say "irregardless". I have a bunch of friends that use that one, and I yell at them all the time.
Anyone interested in finding facts to back up their arguments?

Here is my complete guess of a statement now...

I actually wouldn't be surprised if a soccer players average heart rate is lower than an NBA players over the course of a game. I also wouldn't be surprised if this was due to the average soccer player being in better cardiovascular shape due to the extreme amounts of running they do.

They are complete different games involving complete different skill sets and physical requirements, comparing them is the terms you guys are seems fairly ridiculous.
Fist, I hate it too. It's a disgrace to the game and send a bad message to all the younger players. It could be started with the pansy ass Europeans. They alway like to wave the white flag.
Fistor Wrote:[quote author=beckyp board=general thread=1327 post=28776 time=1218821099]Regardless, as a soccer player, do you get embarrassed seeing these professional athletes flopping around on the ground trying to draw a card? Does that bother you? Or is it just a part of the game that I don't understand?

it's part of the game. no different than a football kicker flailing.
Flopper of all floppers
Jo Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:[quote author=beckyp board=general thread=1327 post=28776 time=1218821099]Regardless, as a soccer player, do you get embarrassed seeing these professional athletes flopping around on the ground trying to draw a card? Does that bother you? Or is it just a part of the game that I don't understand?

That's why we hate kickers too. They're not real football players!! They're kickers. Ask Bill Parcels. ;D
Jo Wrote:

A football kicker "flailing" to try to draw a penalty will draw a penalty against himself if it's determined no one touched him, or even hit him hard enough to cause him to "flail". Therefore it's not part of the game.

Unlike soccer.
airhornahole Wrote:
Jo Wrote:[quote author=fistor board=general thread=1327 post=28779 time=1218821305]

That's why we hate kickers too. They're not real football players!! They're kickers. Ask Bill Parcels. ;D

Except when the kicker wins the game then they
wienerpoopie Wrote:
airhornahole Wrote:[quote author=beckyp board=general thread=1327 post=28784 time=1218821604]

Except when the kicker wins the game then they
[quote="wienerpoopie"]Flopper of all floppers
[quote="Fistor"]
[quote="wienerpoopie"]Flopper of all floppers
[quote="wienerpoopie"]
It really is part of the game, I played soccer for ten years and the coach would tell us to
wienerpoopie Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:Completely agreed. Just like Manu Ginobli of the NBA's Spurs.

Both sports have (or will have next year, in the NBA's case) rules against flopping.

Is there a rule in the works for soccer? I really hope there is, because in my opinion, that's one of the biggest reasonsit has yet to catch on here.

It really is part of the game, I played soccer for ten years and the coach would tell us to