Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Female Republican V.P. Candidate
Party loyalty is ridiculous. When Kennedy was president he stated that we would do every possible thing we can to get a man on the moon....and we did....with less computer technology than the power of my cell phone.

We could do the same as far as giving up dependency on foreign oil. However, neither party wants to do everything we can. Democrats say they will do a little bit here and republicans say they will do a little bit there....yet no one will bite the bullet and do what needs to be done because they will piss off certain groups. We could increase drilling, and increase nuclear power and increase regulations on vehicles all at the same time and free ourselves from dependency on foreign oil, but that would piss off certain groups and screw up party loyalty and contributions. Lobbyists should not be allowed in the U.S. govt. We are not really a democracy if we don't do in govt. what the people really want, but rather do what will support party contributors. The only one who has balls is Nader, but he just cant win and only Effs up elections. I live for the day both parties fall and people decide for themselves.
lurkingfinger Wrote:Party loyalty is ridiculous.... I live for the day both parties fall and people decide for themselves.

Sorry to disagree but I think the two party system is fine. It should be a verbal backyard brawl as a path to the White House. This IS how we decide for our self. And being passionate about your (our) views is as American as apple pie. I personally don't like the way main stream democrats think. Its OK, its just my opinion. It doesn't mean I think they should drop off the face of the earth, I'm just more generally more comfortable with the republican world view. Having said that, the debate and the battle for the Presidency is a healthy one.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
[Image: mad-dog-bite-weird-home-remedies.jpg]
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Mad Dog Wrote:
lurkingfinger Wrote:Party loyalty is ridiculous.... I live for the day both parties fall and people decide for themselves.

Sorry to disagree but I think the two party system is fine. It should be a verbal backyard brawl as a path to the White House. This IS how we decide for our self. And being passionate about your (our) views is as American as apple pie. I personally don't like the way main stream democrats think. Its OK, its just my opinion. It doesn't mean I think they should drop off the face of the earth, I'm just more generally more comfortable with the republican world view. Having said that, the debate and the battle for the Presidency is a healthy one.

I would agree, if it weren't for the fact that both candidates campaign commercials are almost always based on lies.
Regarding yesterday's mention of Sarah Palin's statement, "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God."

FBHW say they're not leaning one way or the other on the air, but then they repeated that quote without any mention of the ACTUAL quote.

What she actually said was, "Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do also what is right for this country -- that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure we are praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

It's funny how different a statement can be when you chop off the first bit of that statement. (Interesting side note: ABC mysteriously edited that line of questioning out of the West Coast airing of the same interview.)

If FBHW are only going to tell us one side, we owe it to ourselves to hear the other.
hotzester Wrote:Regarding yesterday's mention of Sarah Palin's statement, "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God."

FBHW say they're not leaning one way or the other on the air, but then they repeated that quote without any mention of the ACTUAL quote.

What she actually said was, "Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do also what is right for this country -- that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure we are praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

It's funny how different a statement can be when you chop off the first bit of that statement. (Interesting side note: ABC mysteriously edited that line of questioning out of the West Coast airing of the same interview.)

If FBHW are only going to tell us one side, we owe it to ourselves to hear the other.

I'm failing to see how the full quote changes the interpretation of what she said.

Use your baby voice.
I'll do my best.

There's a world of difference between "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God" and "Pray that our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God."

In the former, the presentation is that of a statement of fact.

In the latter, it is given as a prayer for hope that what they're doing is right.

Anyone still confused?
hotzester Wrote:I'll do my best.

There's a world of difference between "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God" and "Pray that our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God."

In the former, the presentation is that of a statement of fact.

In the latter, it is given as a prayer for hope that what they're doing is right.

Anyone still confused?

She was quoting Abe Lincoln as he used basicly the same words regarding the Civil War.
What she's saying is pray that were on God's side- not that God's on our side. Pray that what we do is the correct thing to do. Not praying God bends to our will to help us win. Do I make sense?
Hopefully between the three of us, none of us used words that were too big!
I get it. It makes more sense with the actual quote. It is amazing that the media can manipulate things to sound good or bad depending on their views, who would have thought.
As far as the media goes, I don't blame Mrs. Palin for not doing to many interveiws. Outside of Fox news, they obviously don't like her and are rooting for Obama. Charles Gibson seemed like he'd been thinking up his "gottcha" questions since she was nominated.
I wish she'd do more interviews. The more she does, the more obvious it becomes exactly how biased the media is, and the more it gets people talking. The more we talk, the more we research, and the more educated our vote becomes!
hotzester Wrote:Regarding yesterday's mention of Sarah Palin's statement, "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God."

You do realize that the guys are conservative, right? They've said many times that they've pretty much voted republican all of their lives. I really don't think that they were trying to make Palin look bad if that's what you're getting at. If it's not then my bad.
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
Mad Dog Wrote:As far as the media goes, I don't blame Mrs. Palin for not doing to many interveiws. Outside of Fox news, they obviously don't like her and are rooting for Obama. Charles Gibson seemed like he'd been thinking up his "gottcha" questions since she was nominated.

I'd actually like her to do more interviews. Out of the four candidates she's the one we know the least about. I understand what you're saying about the media but I would still rather see her seize the opportunity. This is her chance to become well read and informed and to crush the interviewers. It's either that or she stays in hiding and people loss faith in her. I'd rather see her at least try to answer a lot of questions in a lot of interviews than run and hide from the big bad liberal media.

Personally? I'm usually liberal but I'm very indecided this year. I'm leaning towards Obama/Biden but by no means is my mind made up. If Palin refuses to answer questions until she's forced to in the debates then that pushes me closer towards the democratic ticket.

The world is effed. I want answers.
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
mayorofawesometown Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:As far as the media goes, I don't blame Mrs. Palin for not doing to many interveiws. Outside of Fox news, they obviously don't like her and are rooting for Obama. Charles Gibson seemed like he'd been thinking up his "gottcha" questions since she was nominated.

I'd actually like her to do more interviews. Out of the four candidates she's the one we know the least about. I understand what you're saying about the media but I would still rather see her seize the opportunity. This is her chance to become well read and informed and to crush the interviewers. It's either that or she stays in hiding and people loss faith in her. I'd rather see her at least try to answer a lot of questions in a lot of interviews than run and hide from the big bad liberal media.

Personally? I'm usually liberal but I'm very indecided this year. I'm leaning towards Obama/Biden but by no means is my mind made up. If Palin refuses to answer questions until she's forced to in the debates then that pushes me closer towards the democratic ticket.

Thats actually a pretty cool world view. I think that she should stay with interviewers that are going to be fair to her. Not necessarily some one who agrees with her politically like her inter veiw with Sean Hannity, although thats ok to. She just needs to stay away from interveiwers who are out to get her.
Mad Dog Wrote:
mayorofawesometown Wrote:I'd actually like her to do more interviews. Out of the four candidates she's the one we know the least about. I understand what you're saying about the media but I would still rather see her seize the opportunity. This is her chance to become well read and informed and to crush the interviewers. It's either that or she stays in hiding and people loss faith in her. I'd rather see her at least try to answer a lot of questions in a lot of interviews than run and hide from the big bad liberal media.

Thats actually a pretty cool world view. I think that she should stay with interviewers that are going to be fair to her. Not necessarily some one who agrees with her politically like her inter veiw with Sean Hannity, although thats ok to. She just needs to stay away from interveiwers who are out to get her.

Palin + Colbert would probably be the funniest interview I've ever seen.
I would like to see her interview with Glenn Beck and I wonder if whe will interview with Bill O'Reilly
Oh, I think she'll hit O'Reilly. Actually I think he mentioned that she was going to be on.
she seems slow.

which is not an especially good thing.
drunkenmom Wrote:she seems slow.

which is not an especially good thing.

she seems like a lot of things. the most obvious being unqualified for her position.
Becky, what experience would you prefer she have? What is it that, to you, disqualifies her?
hotzester Wrote:Becky, what experience would you prefer she have? What is it that, to you, disqualifies her?

are you Effing kidding me? listen, i'll get back to you with factual examples later. i'm a bit short on time to list all of her shortcomings and political assclownery.
I look forward to it.
ok, so let's put this in perspective. this is someone who, if a situation comes up where McCain kicks the bucket or something, will lead our country and be our representative to the rest of the world.

while i do think her time as mayor of Wasilla was, overall, a successful term it's still just a mayoral position. i'm not willingly going to endorse someone with so little time in the national scene and whose views are so backwards. University of Idaho graduate, NRA member, member of a tongue-speaking church, and governor of a underpopulated state that nobody gives a shit about isn't my ideal VP candidate. it's her ethics and how out of touch she seems to be that are so off-putting to me.

politically, i think her budgeting in Alaska is comendable but her knowledge of foreign policy is slim. i get the feeling she's going along with what McCain's platform just to get into office and her real views differ from his.

i grew up really conservative and my parents are die-hard Republicans but we are all in agreeance that she's an embarassment and Republicans need to get their shit together, as a whole.

(sorry i promised a list and brought nothing. i'm a bit distracted today.)
Jo Wrote:while i do think her time as mayor of Wasilla was, overall, a successful term it's still just a mayoral position. i'm not willingly going to endorse someone with so little time in the national scene and whose views are so backwards. University of Idaho graduate, NRA member, member of a tongue-speaking church, and governor of a underpopulated state that nobody gives a shit about isn't my ideal VP candidate...

Ok, I haven't been following this thread too closely, but as the election nears, I may start following more.... and I don't know who I'm voting for yet.
That being said, I have to disagree with you here.

"So little time in the National Scene..." - She's running for Vice President, not President. Yeah, McCain might Die, and she may be in charge, but what if she dies? How much experience will that person have. ... and how much experience does Obama really have?

Is the University of Idaho thing a bad thing for her?

NRA Member is a bad thing?

"tounge speaking church..." Personally I don't care what church they do or don't go to. Religion shouldn't matter.

"governor of an underpopulated state..." What does population of a state matter? Would it be better if she were governer of Georgia? Kentucky?
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
I don't generally like to enter political discussions because - honestly - neither party is right or wrong. Intelligent people can put a spin on just about anything to make their favorite candidate/ party seem attractive. Personally, I believe that Palin is a bad decision for McCain's ticket because I see it (and many others see it this way too) as a publicity stunt. McCain picked her up because she had the cleanest record, nobody living in the largest portion of the United States had ever heard much of her, and he needed something "edgy" because he was being labeled "old". I'd prefer to have a condidate - be it male/ female or black/ white - that was chosen for their capacity to lead. I don't think that the correct running mate was chosen, but I also think that choices are really slim in this day and age. Who REALLY wants to be a politician any more? You can have more wealth and power in big business anyway. I think that the people that would make incredible politicians are out doing "better things" for themselves. People are greedy, and they don't care for this country as much any more so much as they care about their own pockets.

Rome fell, people. Our country needs to "man up" and take some serious action before we shove our country down the tubes.

Ok. So maybe that got a little off topic, but I don't usually visit the Touchy Subjects forum and had to get it all out.
Quote: this is someone who, if a situation comes up where McCain kicks the bucket or something, will lead our country and be our representative to the rest of the world.

There's a saying about "what if's", but the exact wording of it escapes me at present. What you say is true, but it's also true of Joe Biden, or any other VP candidate. That said, it's also not a BAD thing to be next in line for the Oval Office. Guys like John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Gerald Ford, Teddy Roosevelt, and Harry Truman were ALL VP's before they became President. I'd have thought that those who are concerned with her experience would be happy that the #2 on the ticket will have some time toward the top before being thrown into the White House. (Not to mention, Obama's fans are hoping for "change", yet Joe Biden is as much a Washington insider as anyone ever has been.)

Quote:while i do think her time as mayor of Wasilla was, overall, a successful term it's still just a mayoral position.

Mayor of a town, regardless of size, is an "executive" position. (As is Governor.) This means she doesn't sit back and just vote for or against something. Executives have to make serious, difficult decisions, regardless of levels. This is why of our 43 presidents, only 15 have been Senators before ascending to the White House. Senators are NOT executives.

Quote:i'm not willingly going to endorse someone with so little time in the national scene
Quote:

How much time did Bill Clinton have "in the national scene"?

Quote:and whose views are so backwards.

This is opinion. We can't debate opinion.

Quote:University of Idaho graduate

Who cares what school she went to? Are you really THAT much of an elitist?

Quote:NRA Member
What's wrong with her being an NRA member? They're among the most responsible weapons owners in the nation.

Quote:member of a tongue-speaking church

Sarah Palin grew up Pentecostal, a Christian faith, but doesn't consider herself to BE Pentecostal. Her current church is the Wasilla Bible Church, which is a non-denominational, evangelical Christian church. Furthermore, since when is being a Christian bad? I'd love to see evidence of her "speaking in tongues". Go ahead, find video of what some people do and say while in similar churches, maybe then we can talk about what goes on in the church that Barack Obama attended. And before I forget, Sarah Palin was born a Catholic, but I see you left that part out.

Quote: and governor of a underpopulated state that nobody gives a shit about isn't my ideal VP candidate.

You realize that if Alaska were MORE populated, it would mean LESS conservation of nature and resources in the Alaskan wildlife, right? Secondly, I'm sure the Alaskan people "give a shit" about Alaska, and her approval ratings among those very residents are astoundingly high. As someone who has only BEEN to Alaska, I think it's a beautiful state, and I do care about it for natural and energy supply reasons.

Quote: it's her ethics and how out of touch she seems to be that are so off-putting to me.

Examples would be.....? Without them, again this is opinion.

Quote:politically, i think her budgeting in Alaska is comendable but her knowledge of foreign policy is slim.

Again, I'd remind you that it wasn't foreign policy under the belt of the Governor of Arkansas.

Quote:i get the feeling she's going along with what McCain's platform just to get into office and her real views differ from his.

A) Speculation.
B) God forbid the two people on the ticket don't walk lockstep. It would be better if they were clones of one another.

Quote:i grew up really conservative and my parents are die-hard Republicans but we are all in agreeance that she's an embarassment and Republicans need to get their shit together, as a whole.

I'd encourage you to remind your parents that she's the #2 on the ticket, and that if any of you are REALLY conservatives, there's no way in hell you'll vote for Barack Obama's politics.
hotzester Wrote:"speaking in tongues". .

Maybe she thinks Greek is speaking in tongues. ???

she seems like a lot of things. the most obvious being unqualified for her position.[/quote]

Do you hold Obama to the same standard?
sorry, i've been busy lately.

this will be my last post here because it's reminding me why i hate talking politics and how one-sided people are. i'll try to answer everything.

about her being #2 and somehow becoming pres, the examples of Adams, Jefferson, and such are just swell but here's my point-i'm not convinced she could lead shit. all those examples you mentioned were strong candidates who obviously showed something to their presidential running-mate to convince him that they were fit for the VP position. Palin just kind of came out of nowhere suddenly and McCain picked her willy-nilly it seems.

the mayor thing. MAYOR. you do realize "mayor" is just, essentially, a title right? sure they head the city council but they have no legislative powers. in a mayor-council government, a mayor does have legislative powers but only large cities have that.

the governor thing ain't winning me over either. she's making executive decisions but for her state. a state that, as i've said, is under-populated and easily forgotten.

i'm not an elitist, the University of Idaho thing bugs me because this is a HUGE position, VP, and i'm more comfortable with someone who went to a respected well-known college than a shmuck Idaho where potatoes 101 is a hot topic class.

the church stuff, yeah i consider where she goes to church. i don't want some crazy religion nut job making our country's decisions. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/02...23205.html

your A) B) points. maybe it's speculation, but to imply you're ok with the pres and VP having different views is scary. you want conflict inside our government?

they're REALLY conservative but we're also REALLY american and as much as we dislike voting Obama we can't stand seeing the country the way it is and we believe Obama can Eff up the country a little less than McCain.
So a mayoral position is "only" a mayoral position, the role of the governor is only significant if it's of a certain sized state, college degrees only count if they're from specific schools, and churches are important because the HUFFINGTON POST has a discussion about it (well done with a non-biased source, by the way).

And, after all of that, a "community organizer" (a position which is about as legitimate as PTA President) with zero executive experience, 4 years in the senate (two of which were spent campaigning for President), and hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars in new spending in the form of baby bonds, universal healthcare, etc.....all while lowering taxes for 95% of the American people...that's your guy? Makes sense.
Wait...you're holding HER church against her? What about Obama's racist "KILL WHITEY" church?

The part about the President and VP having differing views, many times a candidate will NOT pick a candidate that is just like him/her so that it will bring in voters he/she has alienated. That's hardly a new thing.

And if you blast Palin for her lack of experience and yet don't blast Obama for his lack of experience, then you might as well just admit you don't like her and be done with it. At least then you'll be honest.

Funny you're saying everyone is "one-sided" yet that seems to describe you pretty well.
Jo Wrote:your A) B) points. maybe it's speculation, but to imply you're ok with the pres and VP having different views is scary. you want conflict inside our government?

Maybe I'm wrong, but when this country was new, wasn't the Vice pres. the loser of the vote? i.e. If Obama wins, McCain would have been the VP? It was OK then, but not now?
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Quote:Maybe I'm wrong, but when this country was new, wasn't the Vice pres. the loser of the vote? i.e. If Obama wins, McCain would have been the VP? It was OK then, but not now?

Originally, the electors cast their votes for two people - the one who came in first was president, the one who came in second was VP. But at the time, there weren't really established opposing parties, as there are now.
To the few people that are still trying to defend Palin, are you being serious, or are you just sticking to party lines? In the limited view that the public has had of her, she has proven herself to be clueless on national issues. If you disagree with this previous statement, please watch her most recent interview with Katie Couric. She is a former beauty queen, who it took 5 or 6 years to complete a traditionally 4 year bachelor's degree.... in Communitcations! Why is it that Republicans are continually trying to elect people that are not very smart? George Bush was a "C" student, McCain was 5th from the bottom of his class, Palin went to multiple colleges before finally getting a weak Bachelor's. Hell, I bet even Zane has a Bachelor's in Communications! Barack graduated from Harvard Law School with Honors, Biden also graduated from law school near the top of his class. These are incredibly intelligent guys who will actually look at the information available to them before making a decision. McCain and Palin are just two more intellectually average "shoot from the hip, think with your gut" Republicans. Do you really want more of that?! Eff no...
Quote:To the few people that are still trying to defend Palin, are you being serious, or are you just sticking to party lines?

I'm not sticking to party lines. In fact, when I originally registered to vote way back in 1993, I registered a democrat. It wasn't until I got older and lost some of my idealistic philosophy that I realized the world wasn't all happy and nice, and sometimes those philosophies won't work quite as planned. It was at that point when I registered as a Republican.

Quote:In the limited view that the public has had of her, she has proven herself to be clueless on national issues. If you disagree with this previous statement, please watch her most recent interview with Katie Couric.

Oddly, I'm listening to the FBHW bit regarding the Couric interview as we type - I don't exactly take KATIE COURIC to be the non-biased media source for all things political. Didn't CBS have some sort of scandal in '04 regarding their slant?

Quote:She is a former beauty queen, who it took 5 or 6 years to complete a traditionally 4 year bachelor's degree.... in Communitcations!

You spelled communications wrong, Professor. Ignoring that bit of Shakespearian irony, who cares?

Quote:Why is it that Republicans are continually trying to elect people that are not very smart? George Bush was a "C" student, McCain was 5th from the bottom of his class, Palin went to multiple colleges before finally getting a week Bachelor's. Hell, I bet even Zane has a Bachelor's in Communications!

Bush scored a 1206 on his SAT. John Kerry scored an 1160. Do you really want to bring up which party is smarter?

Quote:Barack graduated from Harvard Law School with Honors, Biden also graduated from law school near the top of his class.

If words like Harvard and Princeton impress you, then I'm sure that's pretty cool. (Oh, and in order to get into the Naval Academy, you need to be in the top 20% of your class. Just so you know.)

Quote:These are incredibly intelligent guys who will actually look at the information available to them before making a decision.

It isn't MY side that is fascinated by intelligence, and as such, I am not questioning it. Rather, I'm questioning their judgement and ability to produce the results they promise - and horrified that if they can somehow muster what it takes to DO those things, what it means for my family.

Quote:McCain and Palin are just two more intellectually average "shoot from the hip, think with your gut" Republicans. Do you really want more of that?! Eff no...

Again with the intelligence obsession. It's really quite comical. You brought it strong, though, I'll give you that. Unfortunately, the facts don't back up your own "think with your gut" attack.
Can anyone show me one example of a President in the last 20 years that has made campaign promises and was able to institute those promises without change or modification by the Senate and House? It doesn't matter what they say now. The true judge of the success fo a President can only be made after their first term. That is when you can determine how successful the person has been.

Palin may be new, an outsider, milf, all the titles she's been given. But, she may be able to work with teh rest of the clowns and get something done. Or, she may just sit there and be eye candy for the rest of thte old drunk congressmen and women.

You can say the same thing for the Obama / Biden camp. They sure are making a heck of alot of promises. Who knows if any will be delivered? Maybe, maybe not.

From what I have seen of this circus we call a government, it is just a bunch of 3 year old kids fighting over who's the teachers pet. All of Washington is corupt and if you think that just because someone is new that they won't be, your kidding yourself. Palin and Obama, both have their marching orders from special interest groups and so on and so forth.

You have to vote for the person who you think most matches your morals and ideals of what you want this country to be and HOPE that that person can get something done.
I'm not "defending" Palin, I'm merely pointing out the double standard in a lot of the so called "problems" people have with her, as b_e_c_k_y has demonstrated. That's why I'm saying just be honest that you don't like her and stop acting like you have problems with her, because most of her same problems can be said about Obama.

BTW, yeah Palin has looked like a dunce in some interviews. At the same time, apparently you haven't been paying attention to Obama when he's not reading from a teleprompter. When asked off the cuff questions, the dude stutters and "uhs" so much he makes Bush sound like a great speaker. Not to mention he makes about as much sense as Palin does. Yet surprisingly.....that's not something you're seeing all over the news now is it?
Does anyone have any substantive disagreements with her positions, or do you not like the VICE-presidential candidate simply because she speaks with an accent?