Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sport or Not a Sport
I'm pretty much with everyone that if you can sit and/or drink beer while playing it is NOT a sport.

As a former gymnast, i will say that it is a sport.
As a former member of the dance team(high kick and jazz), it's a sport.

and i really think that skateboarding, bmx, ski, snowboard etc. are not sports, but hobbies where if you can spend your life doing really good at it, you can go on tv and show everyone else they suck. granted it's cool to watch, but not a sport.
THE EVER LOVING JAYDETHESPAZ
jaydethespaz Wrote:As a former gymnast, i will say that it is a sport.

We finally have someone coming out from the other side....
Gymnastics are not a sport. It takes incredible athletic ability, but it's too subjective to someones opinion. In the Olympics, China, USA, Romania, etc are always good because they are supposed to be good, and the judges think they are better. In what I consider a sport, there is a clear winner.

What is dance team. Is that like cheerleading?
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Rock Monster Wrote:

Gymnastics are not a sport. It takes incredible athletic ability, but it's too subjective to someones opinion. In the Olympics, China, USA, Romania, etc are always good because they are supposed to be good, and the judges think they are better. In what I consider a sport, there is a clear winner.

I agree with this, MX is racing, clear winner...the guy that crosses the finish first. Freestyle motorcross, while it takes the some and more of the same abilities it's all subject to the judges opinion on who's better.
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:I agree with this, MX is racing, clear winner...the guy that crosses the finish first. Freestyle motorcross, while it takes the some and more of the same abilities it's all subject to the judges opinion on who's better.

I don't see dirt bikes as a sport though. Goes under the same category as Nascar. I would say all racing is not a sport, but I believe Track is.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Rock Monster Wrote:
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:I agree with this, MX is racing, clear winner...the guy that crosses the finish first. Freestyle motorcross, while it takes the some and more of the same abilities it's all subject to the judges opinion on who's better.

I don't see dirt bikes as a sport though. Goes under the same category as Nascar. I would say all racing is not a sport, but I believe Track is.

ever raced a motorcycle? It's tough, while i can see both sides ("you are sitting on your butt") riding a motorcross bike properly means very little sitting, and typically your arms are sore and fell like you spent the day lifting weights. It's not just physical fitness in all racing it's also fitness and endurance of the mind and knowing yourself and your vehicle. I would think of racing as 'more' of a sport if all riders/drivers used IDENTICAL cars/bikes/vehicles and winning was dependant purely on YOUR talent.

get me?
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:
Rock Monster Wrote:I don't see dirt bikes as a sport though. Goes under the same category as Nascar. I would say all racing is not a sport, but I believe Track is.

ever raced a motorcycle? It's tough, while i can see both sides ("you are sitting on your butt") riding a motorcross bike properly means very little sitting, and typically your arms are sore and fell like you spent the day lifting weights. It's not just physical fitness in all racing it's also fitness and endurance of the mind and knowing yourself and your vehicle. I would think of racing as 'more' of a sport if all riders/drivers used IDENTICAL cars/bikes/vehicles and winning was dependant purely on YOUR talent.

get me?

Got you. Motorcycles to some degree, dirtbikes/4wheelers are more effective than a frikin gym on your arms, especially when you're on rough terrain. Same with horseback riding, you're not just sitting on the horse letting them do all the work, after an hour I practically slide off with jello legs and abs and I've been doing it for years.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
does it use a ball? yes? then its a sport. no? then its not sorry nascar fans but left turns all day don't count
pants on the ground! pants on the ground!
those of you that don't think cheerleading is a sport have obviously never been one.. It is indeed a sport. 5 hour practices for tourneys, and travelling for them as well. How about camp in the summer, where not only do you prepare for aformentioned tourneys, but the whole school year's mass of routines for games and such gets its start.

Not to mention the fact that you really do need to be physically fit. Fat girls don't fly as high... If even at all sometimes.

I say Cheerleading is a sport, but I might be biased.
Well, it is on ESPN for the championship. So Poker must be a sport too?(leisure sport). Now, I'd rather see more women's beach volleyball. :o
As Far as Nascar... Even when they have power steering in the car, it's still like if we had no power steering. Imagine when a driver loses his/her power steering in one of those cars on the 3rd lap. Drivers lose more than 8+ pounds in the near 200 degree cars (higher if exhaust leaks), sweat going to their feet and getting steam burns from sweat boiling from floorboards.
Left turn all day? It takes a bit to get that to turn on most tracks.
As far as the teams? Try lifting a 100 pound jack over a wall, lift one side, then to other and lift and drop all under 14 seconds. The tires alone weighs more than 30 pounds. I too thought the same about Nascar, but the more you learn about it.... besides, One event can hold up to 2 or 3 times what a football stadium holds. So try telling 200,000 avg ticket holders at one event that it's not a sport. You'd get your arse rundown. Then multiply by 36 , then add the other 2 main divisions. Now go play Field hockey Nancies. LOL
potthole Wrote:Golf is a sport in my mind because you are competing against others.

I compete against others in tons of things I would never consider sporting events.

I mean, people compete against one another in eating competitions. Kobayashi anyone? I would never consider him an athlete, yet he and all the others in that, uhh, genre of competition, get ESPN attention.

So even the worldwide leader in sports is on the fence when it comes to determining "sport or no sport".
Just shows how many rednecks there are out there that will actually watch it thats all
pants on the ground! pants on the ground!
plumpenut Wrote:does it use a ball? yes? then its a sport. no? then its not sorry nascar fans but left turns all day don't count
right, it's only a sport if there are balls. screw hockey, real athletes play four-square.
Peachs Wrote:those of you that don't think cheerleading is a sport have obviously never been one.. It is indeed a sport. 5 hour practices for tourneys, and travelling for them as well. How about camp in the summer, where not only do you prepare for aformentioned tourneys, but the whole school year's mass of routines for games and such gets its start.

Not to mention the fact that you really do need to be physically fit. Fat girls don't fly as high... If even at all sometimes.

I say Cheerleading is a sport, but I might be biased.

yeah... cheerleading is a sport......

can't wait until I see it in the olympics! :Smile
After thinking about the cheerleading thingy, I have an addition to make.

If the only people that call it a sport are the people that participate in it, it's not a sport.
Rock Monster Wrote:

no no no. cheerleading is jumping up and down going ra team ra.
dance accually takes some skill.( I base this opinion on the cheerleaders from my school because they were bad)
Wrestling is the only sport, everything else is just a game.

Let the bashing begin.....
patfromportland Wrote:Wrestling is the only sport, everything else is just a game.

my brother wrestles, my baby daddy wrestled, I wrestled in kindergarden, and my dad wrestled. Wrestling is more than two guys in spandex rolling on a mat. it takes training and skill. it's a sport.
jaydethespaz Wrote:
patfromportland Wrote:Wrestling is the only sport, everything else is just a game.

my brother wrestles, my baby daddy wrestled, I wrestled in kindergarden, and my dad wrestled. Wrestling is more than two guys in spandex rolling on a mat. it takes training and skill. it's a sport.

Wow, totally not what i expected. +1 to you woman
patfromportland Wrote:
jaydethespaz Wrote:my brother wrestles, my baby daddy wrestled, I wrestled in kindergarden, and my dad wrestled. Wrestling is more than two guys in spandex rolling on a mat. it takes training and skill. it's a sport.

Wow, totally not what i expected. +1 to you man

FYI Pat, the spaz is a woman. :'(
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Oh crap, the baby daddy part should of tipped me off. My bad.
Ping pong is not a sport because it sounds stupid. And anything that is a derivative of ping pong is not a sport. Tennis?No, it's ping pong while standin on the table. Volleyball? No It's racketless team ping pong played with an inflated ball and a raised net. Geogge Carlin RIP
patfromportland Wrote:Oh crap, the baby daddy part should of tipped me off. My bad.

It's alright pat. thanks for looking out queenie!
sport   /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spawrt, spohrt] Show IPA Pronunciation
Do what's right....even when no one is looking.
Quote: My stand is, if it's something you must learn a physical skill to do, raises your heartrate while doing it, and CAN be done competitively, it is a sport.

Damn, Then I was a pretty god athlete when I hit puberty. Giggity Giggity. No Golden girls then LOL. Just daisy duke in a bikini.
vsangelchick Wrote:My stand is, if it's something you must learn a physical skill to do, raises your heartrate while doing it, and CAN be done competitively, it is a sport.

So, poker is a sport then?
poker doesn't involve a physical skill....more mental, and THAT is definitely not a sport,khef, as rubbing is not a "skill" ....it's an ability nearly everyone has.
Do what's right....even when no one is looking.
Technically, there is physical skill involved. The way you hold your cards, or move chips into the pot, can affect the way others bet around you.