Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOME SCHOOL VS. PUBLIC SCHOOL
Jiggy Wrote:I would love to send my kids to some kind of alternative school. The kind that focuses heavily on a particular course of study while still getting the basics. This is one reason why a lot of other countries are starting to surpass the U.S. We say, "If you're not good at math there is something wrong with you. Here's more homework." They say, "Oh you're not good at math, but I see you're really good at science. Here are some science courses you may be interested in. Let's focus on that."

That's why Chris loves this idea of this school. I don't know where one is in Tennessee, but Chris will sniff it out like a bloodhound. As I hate math, I don't think I would be good at teaching it.
High School is meaningless. I'm pretty sure you could self teach grades 9-12 to yourself in a year.

Social studies was always pointless. Same shit every year.

I did like the teachers. 8/10 never said what they really thought about current events ect.

Oddly enough my college required High School drama club for its acting course. Really. Worthless. I mean...really? High school drama classes?

Oh well. Least school keeps the little F-tards off the street most of the day.
Bang! Wrote:High School is meaningless. I'm pretty sure you could self teach grades 9-12 to yourself in a year.

I did like the teachers. 8/10 never said what they really thought about current events ect.

Oddly enough my college required High School drama club for its acting course. Really. Worthless. I mean...really? High school drama classes?

The biggest failure for most high schools is they don't teach kids practical things like, balancing a checkbook and other money management things. As simple as it may seem to some of us, like you said there are a lot of f-tards out there. I believe this is the parents responsibility but some parents are clueless themselves. At least offer it as an electives class.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Jiggy Wrote:
Bang! Wrote:High School is meaningless. I'm pretty sure you could self teach grades 9-12 to yourself in a year.

The biggest failure for most high schools is they don't teach kids practical things like, balancing a checkbook and other money management things. As simple as it may seem to some of us, like you said there are a lot of f-tards out there. I believe this is the parents responsibility but some parents are clueless themselves. At least offer it as an electives class.

Really good points.
Jiggy Wrote:The biggest failure for most high schools is they don't teach kids practical things like, balancing a checkbook and other money management things. As simple as it may seem to some of us, like you said there are a lot of f-tards out there. I believe this is the parents responsibility but some parents are clueless themselves. At least offer it as an electives class.

Actually if you take an accounting class in High School, they do teach check book balancing, along with money management. But still this is something that a parent should teach their child. It's not the responsibility of the school to teach them. Besides do we want government schools to teach our kids management when it's clear our national budget is messed up. But on the other hand, with more and more houses getting foreclosed on and more bankruptcy for over spending do the parents, know this at all.

Maybe there should be more ways to learn. I haven't finished college yet, but I negotiated my house buying, fixed rate 6.5% interest, $900 a month, and after reviewing my budget it looks good. Technically after my tax refund this year, Chris and I would only owe on the house, one medical bill, and a credit card that has been shredded. In other words if one of us were to lose a job, we could get by until one of us found a job. They need to teach that in school.
home school kids are also inherently socially retarded. almost as much as army officers that attended West Point.
My wife was homeschooled and is one of the most outgoing people you will ever meet.
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
flyersfantn Wrote:home school kids are also inherently socially retarded. almost as much as army officers that attended West Point.

Weak.
potthole Wrote:
flyersfantn Wrote:home school kids are also inherently socially retarded. almost as much as army officers that attended West Point.

Weak.

Yea, I wish I could have one of those "retards" that graduated from West Point. I'll bet I'd be a lot better off than I am now.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
potthole Wrote:
lokizilla Wrote:My husband so hated PS, that he wants, if we have kids, to HS. I'm not into that. He's asked to send them to some school for nerdy kids. I have a feeling I'm not going to win this battle.

See if he'll be willing to meet halfway and send 'em to a private school of sorts. Probably will not have to deal with as much crap as you would at a public school, and will let kids get more socalized than home schooling.

Another alternative could be what a friend of mine did. His parents homeschooled him through 7th grade while keeping him involved in extracurricular things and having normal friends; then stuck him in public in 8th grade. He was already a pretty normal kid, but it took him no time at all to fit in at public. I think that's the route I will try to go, but obviously, it also depends on what my wife will want and since I have no idea who she is, I can't say for sure now. ???
There is nothing wrong with homeschooling in general...I was HSed all the way through graduation and I'd have to say I'm a pretty normal person...I smoke, drink, swear, all the good stuff. The biggest problem with HSers is their dumbshit parents who overprotect them and don't let them see the real world outside of their closet of denim skirts. I'm pretty happy with the way my folks raised me...granted, I was a bit sheltered, but since I started working full time every summer when I was 14, I experienced plenty of the real world by the time I moved out on my own. Tongue
Thats the thing!! If parents are smart and keep in mind the social needs of there kids, it's not so bad. However if parents forget the social needs of their kids, I don't feel that a child will be very well adjusted where ever they go to school. I went to public schools but I was still isolated due to two things. First, just the fact that I grew up in the woods with virtually no neighbors, and second my dad didn't give a shit.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
Mad Dog Wrote:Thats the thing!! If parents are smart and keep in mind the social needs of there kids, it's not so bad. However if parents forget the social needs of their kids, I don't feel that a child will be very well adjusted where ever they go to school. I went to public schools but I was still isolated due to two things. First, just the fact that I grew up in the woods with virtually no neighbors, and second my dad didn't give a shit.

Very true. My Dad was a History teacher. When he got out of the military, he re-certified and went back to teaching. He said the kids were worse than when he taught in the 70's. Just recalling Chris and my high school times, kids are cruel these days. I went to 3 different high schools, military moving, all were the same.
schwartztimothym Wrote:
potthole Wrote:See if he'll be willing to meet halfway and send 'em to a private school of sorts. Probably will not have to deal with as much crap as you would at a public school, and will let kids get more socalized than home schooling.

Another alternative could be what a friend of mine did. His parents homeschooled him through 7th grade while keeping him involved in extracurricular things and having normal friends; then stuck him in public in 8th grade. He was already a pretty normal kid, but it took him no time at all to fit in at public. I think that's the route I will try to go, but obviously, it also depends on what my wife will want and since I have no idea who she is, I can't say for sure now. ???

That is a good idea, too. I had a friend in high school who had grown up like that. Parents homeschoold until middle school, then put them into public schools.

The kids in that family all were also into sports, so as they grew up there were playing in the local kid's sports leagues, Little League, AYSO, etc. I think that helped keep them pretty socially "with it" while they were being home schooled.
yeah, that's what I did...I played football for 6 years and baseball for 10. The kid I was talking about plays baseball and is a swimmer. He's actually planning on trying out for the Olympics in 2012 and he's only 14 right now.
schwartztimothym Wrote:He's actually planning on trying out for the Olympics in 2012 and he's only 14 right now.

You need to stop him, damn over achievers make us lazy a-holes look bad.
providencecrow Wrote:
schwartztimothym Wrote:He's actually planning on trying out for the Olympics in 2012 and he's only 14 right now.

You need to stop him, damn over achievers make us lazy a-holes look bad.

haha, I don't know that he's so much of an over achiever...he's just that damn good. Kid can swim a mile in 20 effing minutes...took me over an hour when I was his age.